Do you sin against God or man?

Glaucon is saying that he doesn't believe in sin, period.

Correct.

And thus:

I know that this is your point. But how does it help people like Glaucon?

How can he avoid the absurd corollary of trying to take precaution against every threat ever made?

I need neither help nor precaution.

My point is that the very term sin (regardless whether one wants interpret sin in the exclusive papauian sense or in a more general fashion) operates out of a greater authority than an individual and their beliefs (much like the narc squad operates in a certain manner regardless whether one believes in it or not)

There is no greater authority than the individual.

There is no such "law".

there are plenty of them. natural, physical, and mathematical laws, as far as i know, are not determined or enforced by any government, but you're still subject to them.

hardly!

For instance the narc squads are individuals and the persons whose door they are kicking in at 3am are also individuals, yet they all operate under a system of authority. Just as the drug dealing person getting a visit at 3am has no authority to tell the narc squad to go away, the narc squad is also under authority on who's door they can kick in. Like this, all individuals are under an authority, even if its the authority of material nature.

When you (finally) come to that individual who does not exist under any authority, you come to god.

I need neither help nor precaution.

Like massive boulders, mountains pressing against the sky, moving in from all sides, crushing the four directions, so aging and death come rolling over living beings: noble warriors, priests, merchants, workers, outcastes, & scavengers. They spare nothing. They trample everything. Here elephant troops can hold no ground, nor can chariots or infantry, nor can a battle of wits or wealth win out.

If by this you mean that it is impossible to override a person's free will, then I agree.

hardly!

For instance the narc squads are individuals and the persons whose door they are kicking in at 3am are also individuals, yet they all operate under a system of authority. Just as the drug dealing person getting a visit at 3am has no authority to tell the narc squad to go away, the narc squad is also under authority on who's door they can kick in. Like this, all individuals are under an authority, even if its the authority of material nature.

When you (finally) come to that individual who does not exist under any authority, you come to god.

How can one get from this kind of reasoning to the conclusion "Religious tradition X is the right one and I should make an effort to join and adhere" -?

How can one get from this kind of reasoning to the conclusion "Religious tradition X is the right one and I should make an effort to join and adhere" -?
Suppose you were sick with some disease.

How would you decide which process to make the effort to apply?

if you can't perceive the need for help or precaution it wouldn't be expected that you would be looking for either ... even if you were smoking a stick of dynamite in a pool of gasoline

But for some reason, he is here, participating in these discussions.

he he

Suppose you were sick with some disease.

How would you decide which process to make the effort to apply?

This is how this question makes me feel -

ol-donkey-cart.jpg

sad_lady_crying_465x288_160309_t312.jpg

and it is not funny.

It is a difficult question for me.

The diminishing of health (and the thereby associated consequences) are the least of the problems connected to getting sick.

The biggest problems, for me, are the ones pertaining to the negative consequences that seeking treatment from some particular medical professional would have for me.

For starters, some diseases are such that it is worse to have them on one's medical record than to endure them as such. (For example depression or burnout.) Although legally, employers do not have access to one's medical records, in reality, they do, and if there is something nasty on one's medical record (even if officially, it is not listed as an impediment to one's ability to work), then one is done for.
Then there is the whole nightmare of falling into the machinery of the medical system.
For starters, here, vegetarianism is practically illegal, and if one is a vegetarian and the doctors find out, one could have troubles with the insurance (and be classified as an irresponsible patient which has severe consequences).

Seeking help in alternative medicine is expensive, there is usually no coverage for malpractice.

It is a difficult question for me.

The diminishing of health (and the thereby associated consequences) are the least of the problems connected to getting sick.

The biggest problems, for me, are the ones pertaining to the negative consequences that seeking treatment from some particular medical professional would have for me.

For starters, some diseases are such that it is worse to have them on one's medical record than to endure them as such. (For example depression or burnout.) Although legally, employers do not have access to one's medical records, in reality, they do, and if there is something nasty on one's medical record (even if officially, it is not listed as an impediment to one's ability to work), then one is done for.
Then there is the whole nightmare of falling into the machinery of the medical system.
For starters, here, vegetarianism is practically illegal, and if one is a vegetarian and the doctors find out, one could have troubles with the insurance (and be classified as an irresponsible patient which has severe consequences).

Seeking help in alternative medicine is expensive, there is usually no coverage for malpractice.

so on the onset, you wouldn't place PNG traditional medicine high on the list, yes?

I'm not sure what you mean by "PNG" here?

But no, I wouldn't place traditional medicine highly. They are reliable as far as acute conditions (fractures and injuries) and dentistry are concerned, but for the chronic conditions, no.

To be clear: It is not that I am content with this. Because of all the legal and insurance implications, one has to do something, usually, when one becomes sick. Becoming sick is not unlike committing a crime. Becoming sick in effect obligates one to the official system of medical care, which treats people as if they were dead pieces of meat.

Last edited:
but how do you know that?

From my own experience, from what other people have experienced, from knowing what the legal and practical medical procedures are.

But of course we could argue about the "know", and I am sure many Fraggle-Rocker-like persons would come in and claim that just because some people have negative experiences with the medical system, does not mean that the medical system is in any way incompetent and that this would warrant not trusting it fully. Instead, I should think that there is something wrong with me, not with the system, the doctors, the diagnosis or the treatment they gave me, riiight ...

To be clear: It is not that I am content with this. Because of all the legal and insurance implications, one has to do something, usually, when one becomes sick. Becoming sick is not unlike committing a crime. Becoming sick in effect obligates one to the official system of medical care, which treats people as if they were dead pieces of meat.

there's a great analogy here between our health care system and religion.

signal,

what do you want from god?

what do you want from god?

I just wish that the crazy-making pressures from theists from the various religious traditions would stop. They should get their act together and stop confusing people.
I don't address this particularly at God. It's a desperate, aimless wish.

I don't really care about God. I doubt He wants a "relationship" with me.

If most of the theists that I know are going to be in heaven or in the spiritual world, then I have no desire to go there.

ok then, this is your dilemma...

I just wish that the crazy-making pressures from theists from the various religious traditions would stop. They should get their act together and stop confusing people.

and this is the cause of your dilemma...

I don't address this particularly at God. It's a desperate, aimless wish.

I don't really care about God. I doubt He wants a "relationship" with me.

If most of the theists that I know are going to be in heaven or in the spiritual world, then I have no desire to go there.

Do you sin against God or man?

I saw this video and did not agree with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwWZ2no8tk&feature=channel_page

If I sin, I think I sin against another human. Not against God. Against his law of course, or to be more specific, against the laws that men have attributed to God, but not against God.

This clip ignores the human victim altogether as if the victim has no right to feel offended and also have no responsibility to forgive the offender.

I find it rather droll that we are supposed to see God as the victim of all our sins.

If you were to visualize, for instance, God being the victim of all Gay sins, well you see what I mean.
Rather a startling picture right?

Sin also brings up the topic of forgiveness.

If you or I forgive a sin done against us, is there any reason for the sinner to kowtow to God for more forgiveness?
The sin, once forgiven by you or I is, well, forgiven. What exactly is God forgiving. The sin has been annulled by our forgiveness so God forgiving it is rather superfluous and in reality, if at the pearly gates, God were to seek to punish a forgiven sin then one could make a case that God is unjust.

Is God sticking his nose where it is not required in the case of saying we sin against him and in our seeking forgiveness for a forgiven sin?

Regards
DL

You would see the person as more worthy of appology than the one who created all things in existence?.

Think about who the real thanks and appology should go to. When in the court of law you dont just appolodize to the victim you apologize to the community (jury/peers:If nationalized the nation:) You also appologize tot he judge if you have proper manners, and you appologize to the victim, you should maybe even apologize to all the trees and animals who had to witness you negative vibrations when you commit an evil act. and apologize to yourself for becomming inpure.

But most of all who do you really think deserves the praise and appology. remember the phrase respect your elders, you would treat the head of the family the most wise and experienced one with the most honour. Now apply that to the grandfather and master of all the universe.

peace.

You would see the person as more worthy of appology than the one who created all things in existence?.

Think about who the real thanks and appology should go to.

Apologies should be offered to the one who has actually suffered damages, right? If the so-called "sin" involves some kind of harm done to another human being, then apologies need to go to that individual. If the so-called "sin" lacks any tangible victim, if it's a violation of some religious custom or something, then any apologies that might traditionally be expected from members of that religion should be directed as that tradition sees fit, I guess.

What bothers me about this subject is the idea of a religion trying to move our concern away from the here-and-now, away from actual harm done to real suffering human beings, towards concern with much more intangible matters of myth, tradition, ritual purity and religious solidarity.

Back