Do You Believe in Science?

What is responsible for discoveries about nature and new technologies?

• God

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Science

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Both

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Don't know/don't want to answer

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
I see no reason to choose between them. Do I believe that scientific methods can lead to useful technology and knowledge about the world? Yes. Do I believe in God? Yes.

There is very good reason to choose between them. When you have an ultra-religious President, such as we have now, scientific endeavor needs to be protected from his or her belief system. He viewed funding stem cell research as a moral decision...and to me, that should have qualified him for life in prison.

But this is nothing new. Scientific advancement has always been threatened by religious authority.

There is very good reason to choose between them. When you have an ultra-religious President, such as we have now, scientific endeavor needs to be protected from his or her belief system. He viewed funding stem cell research as a moral decision...and to me, that should have qualified him for life in prison.

But this is nothing new. Scientific advancement has always been threatened by religious authority.

Then how about you either learn about science or religion? As it is you just give opinions after having mastered neither.

Then how about you either learn about science or religion? As it is you just give opinions after having mastered neither.

I'm sorry, did you want to contribute anything useful to the conversation, or did you just want to stalk me? The second one? Thought so.

I'm sorry, did you want to contribute anything useful to the conversation, or did you just want to stalk me? The second one? Thought so.

Don't flatter yourself.

Science and religion are at ends with each other if you understand either. But you can't agree with the driving philosophy of both simultaneously, you have to choose one.

I've personally chosen religion over science; mostly because science isn't behavioural ideology, whereas religion is.

Don't flatter yourself.

Science and religion are at ends with each other if you understand either. But you can't agree with the driving philosophy of both simultaneously, you have to choose one.

I've personally chosen religion over science; mostly because science isn't behavioural ideology, whereas religion is.

And what about the "philosophy" of science can't you dig? The learning part? The exploring? What about science doesn't jive with your faith? Ohhh...the part about Earth being 4 billion years old, right? Or is it evolution?

As for me, I pick science, because I don't need an old book to tell me how to behave.

And what about the "philosophy" of science can't you dig? The learning part? The exploring? What about science doesn't jive with your faith? Ohhh...the part about Earth being 4 billion years old, right? Or is it evolution?

As for me, I pick science, because I don't need an old book to tell me how to behave.

The philosophy I disagree with is; We need to recreate the world to be hospitable opposed to changing our actions to allow the world to be hospitable. I don't care how old the Earth is, or how it evolved. However; I am aware of the fundamental principals of both.

There is very good reason to choose between them. When you have an ultra-religious President, such as we have now, scientific endeavor needs to be protected from his or her belief system.
I don't like Bush, to put it mildly. I don't need to make the choice I mentioned above to be against him or his policies.

He viewed funding stem cell research as a moral decision...and to me, that should have qualified him for life in prison.
He was just playing up to the religious fanatics. He's a pragmatist. An effective one from his perspective and those he fronts. Unfortunately.

And while I don't have concerns about stem cell research, I do have moral and practical problems with certain possible and current scientific 'advances'. Take much of gene modification technologies. There is also a moral out there that says if we can, we should, especially if there are profits involved. This morality functions like a religion - albeit generally a godless one. I do not see the huge difference in this last point.

Do you believe that science is responsible for discoveries in nature and the development of technologies?

Or, do you believe gods are guiding people to make discoveries and develop technologies?

There's no way of knowing. Anything that may indeed be the work of a god, we would interpret only as nature.

The problem is, we can figure out how something works, but not really understand the forces behind it; without understanding why. Not a philosophical "why", but instead a sort of "why does all of this produce this and what leads it to produce this? Why is it as it is?"

Regardless, if we're discussing the values of science and religion, they are each valuable in their own way. Science, in improving quality of life and human knowledge, and religion, in the social system.

Simon:
Of course, morals play a decision. In everything, especially society and government.

Science without ethics and morals might result in a lot of progress, but it will also result in alot of cruelty. The Nazis, for instance.

God is a condition of science.
"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands." -- Psalm 19:1

Diseases great & small (Do I need to list them all?), mental illness, mental retardation, drug addicts, 2 headed babies, babies with vestigial tails, babies with ambiguous genitalia, crack babies, attacks on humans by animals, humans' apathetic or malicious attitudes toward animals, man's inhumanity to man, rape, false accusations of rape, child molesters & other child abusers, drunk drivers, diarhea, farting, bad body odor, wars, falling bridges, unmitigated greed, animals' need to kill to survive, short lives full of misery, inherently human problematic sexual desires, tortuous deterioration of the body in old age, xenophobia, fear, foolishness, stupidity, enormous natural difficulty getting out into the heavens to explore, trillions of unanswered prayers, religious books that contradict each other, religious books that contradict themselves, religious books that claim things which we know are not so, hate, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos, etc, etc, etc declare the glory of god & proclaim the work of his hands.

If my theories were as weak and flimsy as some so-called "scientific" theories I would feel threatened by religion as well.

I have huge problems with some "science" theories but you still have a puffed up strawman there. If we accept that some are flimsy, that says nothing of most science theories & discoveries or the scientific method. Humans aren't perfect. Scientists have flaws. Yet science is the only method that does work. Faith is ridiculous. Religion is nonsense. The Holy Babble is the most horribly cruel book I've read. Nearly all religious claims have been proven false.

Simon:
Of course, morals play a decision. In everything, especially society and government.
Science without ethics and morals might result in a lot of progress, but it will also result in alot of cruelty. The Nazis, for instance.

Religion & morals are trillions of light years apart.
Religion without ethics and morals will also result in a lot of cruelty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diseases great & small (Do I need to list them all?), mental illness, mental retardation, drug addicts, 2 headed babies, babies with vestigial tails, babies with ambiguous genitalia, crack babies, attacks on humans by animals, humans' apathetic or malicious attitudes toward animals, man's inhumanity to man, rape, false accusations of rape, child molesters & other child abusers, drunk drivers, diarhea, farting, bad body odor, wars, falling bridges, unmitigated greed, animals' need to kill to survive, short lives full of misery, inherently human problematic sexual desires, tortuous deterioration of the body in old age, xenophobia, fear, foolishness, stupidity, enormous natural difficulty getting out into the heavens to explore, trillions of unanswered prayers, religious books that contradict each other, religious books that contradict themselves, religious books that claim things which we know are not so, hate, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos, etc, etc, etc declare the glory of god & proclaim the work of his hands.
Well you can thank Satan for that. And if it wasn't for those things you wouldn't know what good is.

Simon:

Good point. And thus I think experimenting on prisoners is not ethical.

I see no reason to choose between them. Do I believe that scientific methods can lead to useful technology and knowledge about the world? Yes. Do I believe in God? Yes.

Then, what happens when science discovers that which contradicts your beliefs?

Back