Do you atheists feel safety and happiness when ...

That sounds a lot like a lot of other things, such as trade economics, politics and relationships.

Some things don't go away simply because they're flawed.

There is flawed, as a scraped fender, and fatally flawed, as a siezed engine. The first car, i'll accept as is, or repair; the second is going to the scrapyard.
This is true of whatever doesn't work, including bad economic theories and abusive relationships.

Originally Posted by Aqueous Id
There are plenty of loners in the world making it on their own without anybody else's help or intervention. If push came to shove, you would no doubt be forced to fend for yourself, too. Presumably you could do so, at least for a while, and maybe a good bit longer.

Well, good luck synthesizing breathable air, carbohydrates, proteins and such! You people grossly underestimate how much is necessary for a human to survive.

Air is free. Food can be collected from free sources or harvested for a minimal expenditure of effort. Humans survived for millions of years the same way animals do. By finding food. None of "us people" are saying anything different.

What is your point?

There is flawed, as a scraped fender, and fatally flawed, as a siezed engine. The first car, i'll accept as is, or repair; the second is going to the scrapyard.
This is true of whatever doesn't work, including bad economic theories and abusive relationships.

The danger is that one dismisses with a great sweeping stroke, rather than a directed disassembly. Philosophies like "it's all complete bunk" are vacuous.

Not suggesting that's what you've done, just that everything deserves fair analysis and specific, demonstrable conclusions.

The OP said "I feel a strength in my heart".

Would this sit better with you? It does not change the meaning or intent of the post:

It doesn't. The phrase "I feel strength in my heart" is an interpretation of one or more core feelings and while I can certainly assign that phrase to mean whatever I want it to, it does me no good if I want to have anything resembling accuracy. What are those feelings? Are there more than one? Do they occur sequentially, in tandem, some combination of the above?

The danger is that one dismisses with a great sweeping stroke, rather than a directed disassembly. Philosophies like "it's all complete bunk" are vacuous.

Not suggesting that's what you've done, just that everything deserves fair analysis and specific, demonstrable conclusions.

How long is the correct period of disassembly? Do i have to keep doing it, over and over, every time someone makes a silly generalization about unbelief; do i have to refute, with proofs and reference to comparative mythologies, every simplistic Christian or Muslim declaration - or is it okay just to say: "I've considered religion and it's not for me." ?

Do i really have to get into the kerfuffle about the stupid foxhole, or is it okay to make a few observations about the necessarily anecdotal and unverifiable nature of other people's faith?

Neverfly

Navy. Knew a guy in the navy that made the fool mistake of standing next to a gun when it fired. Not in front of. Just near to the side.
Lost his eardrums.

And for our non military readers out there: A gun is like a gun on a ship. Cannon.
A rifle or a pistol is not a gun. Those are weapons, firearms, pistols, handguns or rifles.
A gun is something you cannot pick up and carry.

Army here. But artillery.

Bad news: Anecdotal.

Biggest we ever had was a pole mounted 50(with a blast plate), but some had the Bofors. M60s on the side amidship and, hopefully, a squad of jarheads aft plus various and sundry shotguns and pistols, grenades, flares and thermite. Oh, and plus a few toys from Matel, though everyone kept two or three in case of jams. Never served on any armed ship, just boats.

Grumpy:cool:

How long is the correct period of disassembly? Do i have to keep doing it, over and over, every time someone makes a silly generalization about unbelief; do i have to refute, with proofs and reference to comparative mythologies, every simplistic Christian or Muslim declaration - or is it okay just to say: "I've considered religion and it's not for me." ?

Do i really have to get into the kerfuffle about the stupid foxhole, or is it okay to make a few observations about the necessarily anecdotal and unverifiable nature of other people's faith?
If you've considered all there is to say on the subject, then what is the point in participating in a discussion about it? The entire point of a discussion on something is to hash out the details. You can't join a new discussion and complain that you've said all this before and can't we all just take it as given.

In a discussion about a subject, a sweeping generalization of dismissal should appropriately be greeted with "...uh... How nice for you. Anyway, as we were saying...."

So, no you don't have to go into it, or get into the kerfuffle. Unless you want to have a discussion.

The question was: Do you atheists feel safety and happiness, etc.
Answered that. Made some comments about about related matters. Can't deal with every detail of religion in every discussion. I pick what i consider relevant and try to keep my comments brief.

No.
You said you would not accept anecdotal. You called it "Useless." The exact word, if I recall, was "uselessness."

Where exactly did I say I would not accept anecdotal evidence for belief? Yes, if all you have is anecdotal then it is useless, but even though the status of being an atheist must be anecdotal, the condition of an imminent threat of death is not necessarily.

You said you wanted "solid evidence."

Later, you said you would accept anecdotal as to beliefs, when I pointed out that you cannot get anything other than anecdotal.

I only ever said I wanted solid evidence for an imminently life-threatening situation. It is only your ongoing straw man, which I have corrected numerous times now, that has deceptively tried to connect that statement to belief. Obviously you cannot comprehend simple English, are a quote-mining troll, and/or have a poor memory.

Syne said:
If the evidence is only anecdotal then it is not statistically significant enough, in itself, to make a valid argument.

Can't get any more consistent than that, and that quote is from the first page of this thread. I never refuted that there could only be anecdotal evidence of belief. You're simply arguing with yourself and your own fictitious straw man.

This is actually the first exchange explicitly on the necessarily anecdotla nature of subjective belief:

Syne said:
I accept a veteran's self-reported belief at the time of injury at face value.

Neverfly said:
Anecdotal evidence?

There is no empirical evidence for a person's subjective belief. In which case, anecdotal evidence is acceptable, as it is the only available form of evidence.

I was actually the first to point this out. Care to lie any more?

What is your motive? Like it or not, you strongly come across as one who doubts the meme.
Clarify it.

I've already told you my current motive:

Syne said:
My current intent is simply to see if atheists can live up to the ideals they profess when in a similar situation as a theist. So far, you've reacted exactly as I'd expect a theist to.

I only set out to question if that picture was enough to close the book on the issue, as it seemed to be employed. Only after you started arguing without evidence did I find the contradiction of an atheist arguing like a theist interesting. If you have any atheist ideals about objective evidence, they seem to have abandoned you.

You say bits and pieces through the thread. You say that anecdotal is useless and that you want evidence of injury.

There are clear problems here: Threat of Imminent Death does not mean there are outward visible injuries. In fact, most of the time there are not.
It's a faulty assumption on your part.

I NEVER said threat of imminent death required such visible injuries (and I already corrected seagypsy for this same straw man). I said that PERMANENT DISABILITY WAS OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE of imminent threat of death. But of course, you can't give up your fictitious straw man long enough to realize that this is the ONLY thing I've sought "solid evidence" for.

Service records that show Combat experience and psych records (It's not a red herring so don't roll your eyes) are far more likely to demonstrate whether or not a soldier has experienced imminent death and whether or not their mind was altered by the pressure.

Injuries can show that they were injured, but were not necessarily facing death- they were facing a lot of PAIN maybe, but not death.

You have already agreed that a person's mental state, i.e. belief, can only be anecdotal, thus the red herring. Hell, you affirmed this in this same post. The difference between pain and facing death are exactly why I specified permanently disabling injury. This is the best assurance of having faced death.

I was hit by a grenade near Tuzla, Bosna y Herzegovina.

I've been stabbed once, (Not while in the service) and shot twice (While in the service.)

Now, unless I'm naked, you'd never know this. Unless you look at medical records- you won't know this. I do not walk funny from it (was hit in the leg on one occasion, small of my back, the other). I have some visible scar tissue, but it's in areas that unless I'm wearing high legged and low backed shorts you won't see it. (Save your comments about how I got shot in the ass, please, BigDon ran that through the mill and it was NOT in the ass.)

As you've said yourself, this evidences pain, but not necessarily facing imminent death.

Your ideas of what constitutes "Solid evidence" are faulty and misleading.

Then to turn around and say anecdotal must be accepted at that point, when a photo of someone with disabling injuries counts as solid evidence of having faced imminent death makes no sense. Yes, imminent death may lead to permanent injuries. But one can quite easily get permanent injuries without facing death and even get them quite easily when unconscious.
Which is COMMON by the way.
Lastly, many permanent injuries received were not on the battlefield. One man I knew was pinned between a tree and an M1-Abrams, during routine field maneuvers. He was not "In a foxhole." Many soldiers get into routine Traffic accidents. Most of them did not face Imminent death, though they faced a hell of a lot of discomfort.

You may as well have accepted anecdotal evidence at the outset for all the good it would have done you.

Service records reporting combat experience and psych reports are a much better source for the kind of evidence you say you require.
Yet, you call them a red herring and focus on injuries that demonstrate only injury- not threat of DEATH. Many life threatening situations can be documented but don't leave physical scars.
Many physical scars do not stem from life threatening situations.

If he was not "in a foxhole" then obviously it was not a valid condition of the saying. I've already fully address this red herring of accidents and other such injuries. Go back and read through this thread again.

Of what, permanently disabling injury? I was pointing out that Atheists don't convert under fire any more than theists do, nor do they survive the experience any better or worse than any theist(though closing your eyes to pray could have serious negative consequences in battle). At what level of injury are you claiming the conversion takes place? If you're claiming a part of an ear and a few shrapnel wounds I can tell you that the level must be higher, too busy trying to see if the REALLY important parts were intact, looking for arterial squirting, while my head was ringing like a bell, trying to make myself as small as possible in the gun well of a fibreglass hull, while my bosun walked all over my head getting to the 50 and the jarheads unleased hell from the stern with 40mm and 16s, watching the skipper backing and filling and the blessed acceleration when he put the hammer down and our problem dissapeared behind us. God never came up, before, during or after. Never gave it a thought.

I've already fully explained the criteria, i.e. permanently disabling combat injury.

Can anyone around here quit quibbling long enough to just provide any such evidence. You people are arguing about the nature of evidence just like theists do. Dodge, parry, repose.

When I am in a danger or in such a situation that there is no one to help me or when all the circumstances are to my opposition, even then I feel a strength in my heart. I feel my God is with me as I am in truth. In such a situation what is the feelings of a atheist?
  • A. I make great effort to avoid getting into situations of that type in the first place. I'm not a risk taker. The most dangerous thing I ever did was ride motorcycles, and after having the same accident twice in 13 years I hung up my helmet.
  • B. If I do find myself in such a situation, I rely on myself. I'm bright, well-educated, sensible, articulate and experienced. Not to mention, having a fast car and a fair amount of money can get you out of a lot of bad situations.
  • C. I'm never actually in a situation where there is, literally, no one to help me. My wife (who is just as bright, well-educated, etc.) and I have stood by each other for 34 years and have helped each other out of jams. We also have a couple of damn good lawyers.
  • D. If you're talking about a natural disaster or a war or something like that, well then in my few remaining minutes of life I'd look back proudly on all the good things I've done for civilization and remind myself that at age 68 I've already beaten the odds.
I believe that it is human nature to wish for a higher power. . . .
Yes indeed. And that higher power is known as "civilization." It is mankind's greatest achievement, and it's what makes us unique from all other organisms. We have changed the world and created wonderful things, including tools, music, buildings, literature, machines, games and computers.
Atheists merely recognize that reality does not conform to the needs of human nature.
And many of us put considerable effort into rectifying that flaw. Rather than praying for an imaginary supernatural creature to come down and make the universe a better place, we do it ourselves. Mrs. Fraggle and I have started by doing our best to make sure that everybody has a dog.

Rather than addressing my point, you have just restated your argument. You need to show my refutation is not valid, or your argument stops in its tracks.

I have pointed out why SG does not need a specific definition in order to speak about the category. The analogy to vampires is apt. SG can dismiss vampires without having to ascribe to some particular author's idea of them. He knows enough to conclude they're categorically not real. Same thing applies to God.

Your question ("to what god do you refer") is not granted as relevant until you can address that refutation.

So, per you and SG, God is not real, and for you to state "God is not real" you need no definition of "God" (or "real") whatsoever.

Right.

Air is free. Food can be collected from free sources or harvested for a minimal expenditure of effort. Humans survived for millions of years the same way animals do. By finding food. None of "us people" are saying anything different.

What is your point?

I guess - go and try living in an air-tight bunker and see if air is free ... and food, for a "minimal expenditure of effort"?

Millions of hungry Africans beg to disagree.

Rather than praying for an imaginary supernatural creature to come down and make the universe a better place, we do it ourselves. Mrs. Fraggle and I have started by doing our best to make sure that everybody has a dog.

Could I contribute 5 kittens? If you don't need them as pets, maybe they could work out as doggie snacks?:bagpuss:

The cliche seems to have originated on the theist side of things, or at least it tends to be used by theist preachers.
I have been specifically addressing the meme of "atheists in foxholes" and its dubious photographic evidence. Try to pay attention.

It's a meme often used by theists.
It's not clear why atheists bring it up - other than perhaps to oppose the theists.

I'm simply asking for the same quality of evidence atheists demand of theists. And in this case the burden should be fairly light, as we know atheists and foxholes both exists, so it is only a matter of proving their coexistence.

Collecting that evidence may be simple enough in principle, but prohibitively dangerous and possibly unethical in practice.

Factors such as whether the durress was something that the person subjected themselves freely to or not are relevant too.
For example, people who are into extreme sports often face imminent death - but they have freely entered those dangerous situations.
On the other hand, some people are forced into dangerous situations, such as victims in terrorist attacks.
Whether a dangerous situation comes about by an effort of one's own or not can possibly make a great difference in how a person will respond to it.

I only ever said I wanted solid evidence for an imminently life-threatening situation. It is only your ongoing straw man
It is true that is what you only ever said. Outright. And I kept asking questions about what you were saying and your motives...
Because, I've made it clear that what you're asking for does not follow reason and that you want it for some other purpose than just to see if they are injured.
This is actually the first exchange explicitly on the necessarily anecdotla nature of subjective belief:
Is, "explicitly" the key word there? That's from post number 94.
Let's move on to your next point....

I was actually the first to point this out. Care to lie any more?
Post number 15. You refer to anecdotal as useless.
Post number 18 it says the follows from you; Bold Mine:
I am open to significant evidence that those who have obviously experienced the very imminent threat of death (evidenced by permanent disability) do remain atheists. If the evidence is only anecdotal then it is not statistically significant enough, in itself, to make a valid argument.

That post you quoted from, claiming to be the first was post number 94.
94? I just referred to post 15 and quoted you from 18. As I said- "explicitly" a CYA word? Call me a liar again, Syne.

I've already told you my current motive:
Originally Posted by Syne
My current intent is simply to see if atheists can live up to the ideals they profess when in a similar situation as a theist.
This is interesting.
I think it goes deeper than that.
You waved off the valid points of how the evidence you demand is not really as relevant as you would like the readers to believe. You have gone to great pains to make it appear as though you know your logical fallacies and how to point them out.
All the while stooping to the Lowest fallacy repeatedly: Ad Hominem.

I NEVER said threat of imminent death required such visible injuries (and I already corrected seagypsy for this same straw man).
To be referring to pictures, it must. Another inconsistency. See the motive you listed above.
You questioned the validity of the picture.
You said permanent injuries would make it more acceptable.
Now you say that permanent injuries don't have to be visible.
You said you wanted to see those that had permanent disabling injuries to be more accepting of atheists in foxholes.
You emphatically said that injury has absolutely nothing to do with belief.

Am I to assume that you would accept that picture if you somehow had access to the soldiers medical records? You don't and you can't as they are sealed. To you, anyway.

By the way, maybe I missed it. I saw you dismiss her post- I did not see a careful correction. Can you quote yourself?

You have already agreed that a person's mental state, i.e. belief, can only be anecdotal, thus the red herring. Hell, you affirmed this in this same post. The difference between pain and facing death are exactly why I specified permanently disabling injury. This is the best assurance of having faced death.
And I've explained to you that you can only assume that it's an assurance that person faced death. A vague assumption at best. You waved it off.
In addition to this, if you can accept the crux of the argument on anecdote while demanding solid evidence of something which you admit has nothing to do with belief... why bother with that evidence?

As you've said yourself, this evidences pain, but not necessarily facing imminent death.
BINGO!
Here you agree to that-your inconsistency. Again.

I guess - go and try living in an air-tight bunker and see if air is free ... and food, for a "minimal expenditure of effort"?

Air is free for the person who is not trying to convince himself that it's not. Respiration is a basic animal function. It evolved because air was free. Even CO[sub]2[/sub], in its low concentration is ample for plant life.

What is your point anyway? Like I said before, no one here disputes that all living creatures respire and consume nutrients. That's a long way from being helpless and dependent.

Millions of hungry Africans beg to disagree.
Are you actually trying to have a conversation? I don't have a clue what you are driving at. This is where I feel like I'm talking to a simulation.

OK let's say millions of Africans are starving. And at least that many are not. The ones that are have chronically been the victims of war, atrocity and genocide. Now go pluck a handful of those people out of their misery and place them in a natural setting fit for human habitation, perhaps like the lands they've been displaced from. Give them back their farms and fishing boats, or simply deliver them to a natural setting. Odds are, they will start collecting water and firewood, picking wild fruits and vegetables and finding game. Eventually they will have some sort of functional shelter. Over time, they will indistinguishable from the people who are not starving.

So what does this prove? That they've been displaced? I just don't see how this connects to your idea that humans are somehow helpless and dependent. There are too many eons of human existence to demonstrate that we survive as any other animals do - by the struggle for existence.

Back