Do belief systems deserve respect?

but what about "freedom"? i think (honestly, i'm not sure) that i may fall under the rubric of "freedom-haters"--does this exempt me from the cult, nay, religion of freedom?

so those who believe that the united states is a "democracy" are members of a cult--being as last time i checked, the u.s. was a constitutional republic. ah, but there have been books written about such--so those who believe that the u.s. is a "democracy" are members of a religion, correct?

Well yes if it was a recognized as a religion then yes you culd say that. How ever it is not recognized as a religion so no it is not one. And besdies a religion would be relaed to a delusion as I said a delusion that there is something bigger and better then ones self. If you stood back and looked at it there are many many things that could become a Cult.

so those who believe that the united states is a "democracy" are members of a cult--being as last time i checked, the u.s. was a constitutional republic. ah, but there have been books written about such--so those who believe that the u.s. is a "democracy" are members of a religion, correct?
Religions are cults, cults aren't necessarily religions.
Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate — more at wheel
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/CULT

Religions are cults, cults aren't necessarily religions.
Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate — more at wheel
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/CULT

thank you again, Dywyydyr. :)

so, the cult of freedom and the cult of democracy.

And besdies a religion would be relaed to a delusion as I said a delusion that there is something bigger and better then ones self. If you stood back and looked at it there are many many things that could become a Cult.

huh? a religion is necessarily related to a delusion? don't know about that, but if so, then would not the same hold true for democracy? especially, given that the u.s. is not a democracy; hence, those who believe such are deluded.

edit: also, for clarities sake: you are then disagreeing with (Q)'s assertion that islam is a cult, yes?

huh? a religion is necessarily related to a delusion? don't know about that, but if so, then would not the same hold true for democracy? especially, given that the u.s. is not a democracy; hence, those who believe such are deluded.

Yes you could say that any one that believes in anything greater then themselves is diluted. Lest face it there are not Democratic process in any country if there where the Minorities would not have a say in anything now would they. It would be Majority rule all the time but only if the majority actually voiced it concerns and opinion as a group they dont so yes Democracy is a delusion.

edit: also, for clarities sake: you are then disagreeing with (Q)'s assertion that islam is a cult, yes?

No I am not disagreeing with that fact that any religion is a cult.

No I am not disagreeing with that fact that any religion is a cult.

ok, given Dywyyder's clarification--and the accepted definitions--a religion is a cult, but cults are not necessarily religions: so islam=cult and religion.

but i'm still not clear as to where this leaves adherents to democracy--just cult? or both religion and cult? they are deluded, but their delusions are socially acceptable and there have been books written about such.

Er, Islam = religious cult, democrats (for want of a better word) = political cult?

Er, Islam = religious cult, democrats (for want of a better word) = political cult?

this one is a little tricky though:

re⋅li⋅gion
  /rɪˈlɪdʒən/
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
----------------------------------------------------------

it's entirely dependent upon the sense in which one employs the term "religion."

i think this is also true with "cult": in colloquial usage, i do not believe that a religion would be described as a cult.

religion - 5 dictionary results
Mormon Church
Do your questions go unanswered? Chat live with a Mormon.
http://www.mormon.org
Free Religion Chat
Come Chat With Other Christians For Free In A Safe, Fun Environment...
www.ChristianChatCity.com
re⋅li⋅gion  /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
Use religion in a Sentence
See web results for religion
See images of religion
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

—Idiom9. get religion, Informal. a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.
b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1150–1200; ME religioun (< OF religion) < L religiōn- (s. of religiō) conscientiousness, piety, equiv. to relig(āre) to tie, fasten (re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; cf. ligament ) + -iōn- -ion; cf. rely

Related forms:

re⋅li⋅gion⋅less, adjective

as to the matter of delusion: this is also problematic, in that we are all deluded in certain respects--and anyone who claims to be otherwise, is, well, seriously deluded. moreover, beliefs (amongst adherents to -isms) vary enormously, and furthermore, our beliefs are prone to vacillate.

burden of proof? also problematic. can YOU provide evidence for every one of your claims? or do you make a fallacious appeal to authority?

Well I am not wavering from my Belief that religious people are indeed diluted and in some cases just plain crazy. And I am not trying to mislead anyone. As far as evidence it proves it's self religious people are diluted just listen to them.

It's complete hypocrisy coming from a cult member whose members want their cult to "Take over the World"

alright, so i'll accept that a religion is a cult, according to at least one definition--but i don't believe this to be the case with regards to the colloquial sense of "cult"; but is it established that all adherents to islam "want their cult to 'Take over the World'"? or for that matter, that SAM specifically "want(s) her cult to 'Take over the World'"?

Well I am not wavering from my Belief that religious people are indeed diluted and in some cases just plain crazy. And I am not trying to mislead anyone. As far as evidence it proves it's self religious people are diluted just listen to them.

assuming that you mean "deluded," what is the basis for your "Belief"?

sociology? bah! that's pseudo-scientific nonsense. :D
Exactly what I told my tutors/ lecturers on the first day of the degree course! :p
However, they do have a specific definition for cult (as opposed to the colloquial definition).

assuming that you mean "deluded," what is the basis for your "Belief"?

Yes sorry for the misspell of Deluted the basis for my belief is if it appears to be magical it is not likely true. I beleve there is no god never was never will be.

Back