Do belief systems deserve respect?

Not to mention, number three is the one who starts an educational institution and forms a religious organisation which will fund the research for 1 and 2

But clearly, you're right, if I disagree with anyone's beliefs, I have no obligation to respect them.
So ideally, in any majority religious society, it is right to treat anyone with minority beliefs with extreme disrespect

Not to mention, number three is the one who starts an educational institution and forms a religious organisation which will fund the research for 1 and 2

But clearly, you're right, if I disagree with anyone's beliefs, I have no obligation to respect them.
So ideally, in any majority religious society, it is right to treat anyone with minority beliefs with extreme disrespect

yawn.
point number 1 = irrelevant
point number 2= the exact opposite of what i was saying,read it again
point number 3 = read it again

3 people in the room
No1.thinks that string theory holds the answers to many fundamental principles based on years of thought,experiment and calculation
No2.thinks that string theory is fundamentally inconsistent based on years of thought,experiment and calculation
No3. thinks that the fundamental principles of nature are controlled by a god that cares about what humans do and think based on his elders,men in robes and books that were written thousands of years ago

hmmm

how many of those things deserve respect?
That would depend on what numbers one and two consider
thought
calculation
experiment
and reasonable interpretation.

And number three is a rare bird. Even fundamentalists, with whom I can barely have a conversation, tend to have much more basis for why they participate in a religion.

Try reframing the question like this:

Should everyone think in only one way? Should atheists be allowed to express their views where they are a minority or should they be disrespected for having different beliefs?

Ah, so YOU chose to be disrespectful to people rather than ideologies?

Should we all think Islam, Sam? That would be the one way you would want everyone to think, according to Islam?

Hmm so you don't see the relevance of my question at all? Its completely invisible to you?

It's complete hypocrisy coming from a cult member whose members want their cult to "Take over the World"

Well every religious person is a member of a Cult just depends what Cult you belong too as whether or not you see it as a cult..

ah, so there are Cults and then there are cults--can you explain the difference to me, please?

Do you not know what a cult is? Look it up.

i know what a cult is; however, i suggest that you look the term up--you are employing it incorrectly. as to whether or not you are doing so consciously is what i am trying to figure out.

That would depend on what numbers one and two consider
thought
calculation
experiment
and reasonable interpretation.

And number three is a rare bird. Even fundamentalists, with whom I can barely have a conversation, tend to have much more basis for why they participate in a religion.

the scientific method.

what in your experience is their basis?(usually)

Well every religious person is a member of a Cult just depends what Cult you belong too as whether or not you see it as a cult..

ok, i'm going to try to parse this one out--and given the other typos, i'll consider (this time) the capitalization inconsequential:

the premise that every religious person is a member of a cult is contestable, given the accepted definitions of "cult" and "religious person," but let's just swing with it anyways.

so members of some cults perceive their cult as a cult, whereas members of other cults do not--correct? can you give some examples of either instance, please? i'm sorry, it's just not readily apparent to me.

the scientific method.

what in your experience is their basis?(usually)

have most individuals who have either accepted or rejected string theory actually performed calculations and experiments? i'm somewhat incredulous.

so members of some cults perceive their cult as a cult, whereas members of other cults do not--correct? can you give some examples of either instance, please? i'm sorry, it's just not readily apparent to me.
No, members of a cult see other cults as such, but not their own.

ah, so there are Cults and then there are cults--can you explain the difference to me, please?

Well A cult is a group of like minded people that think the same delusion. It only becomes a religion when it has books written about it or it is socially acceptable.

Well A cult is a group of like minded people that think the same delusion. It only becomes a religion when it has books written about it or it is socially acceptable.

so those who believe that the united states is a "democracy" are members of a cult--being as last time i checked, the u.s. was a constitutional republic. ah, but there have been books written about such--so those who believe that the u.s. is a "democracy" are members of a religion, correct?

Back