Do atheists have a God complex?

Do you wish other people shared your beliefs?

• Yes and I am an atheist

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No and I am an atheist

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Yes and I am a theist

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No and I am a theist

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Some other opinion (explain in post)

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
You clearly didn't read it. Again, it demonstrates your lack of integrity and intellectual dishonesty.

Found an atheistic scientific institution older than a hundred years yet? You know where all these "free thinkers" were thinking "critically"?

Actually, one can hardly get around the point that in a world quickly approaching a population level of 10 Billion, that sooner or later people will have to start arriving at some consensus beliefs... common moral assumptions, basic conditions for cooperation.....
I find your criticism to be weak. The communists cynically utilized the Russian Orthodox church to maintain control. This church actively worked with the KGB, look it up. The fact is social order and morality ARE in everyone's personal interest. Morality is the result of logic and compassion, neither of which require a cosmic policeman to instill fear us about not doing the right thing. If your statement were true, religious people would commit no crimes or immorality and we know that to be false.

"You are using your own moral intuitions to authenticate the wisdom of the Bible - and then, in the next moment, you assert that we human beings cannot possibly rely upon our own intuitions to rightly guide us in the world."
— Sam Harris​

Last edited:
SAM said:
Found an atheistic scientific institution older than a hundred years yet?
Aside from the general meaninglessness of the confused concept (atheistic institution?), the early scientific meeting halls in England (where Robert Hooke et al presented their demonstrations and discoveries) specifically forbade all theistic explanations of natural phenomena.

They could not, of course, safely identify themselves as atheistic.
SAM said:
Not the usual atheist bashing thread.
- - - -
A critical thinker would have to be a theist or at the very least, an agnostic. Only the self deluded could be comfortable with atheism.
Oh well.

Ah, hiding behind the rulebook, because you have nothing to say eh?

Last bastion of the scoundrel, that.

If you make extraordinary claims, you need extraordinary proof.

Now, if you wish to be treated like a sane person, make a claim, and support it with reason, logic, and evidence.

If you can't do that, resign the debate.

And now you are using 'sane' incorrectly, apart from the ad hom nature of it.

No, I haven't.
Yes, you have.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2377106&

It's called, "Freedom of Religion" - that should give you a starting point to understand why psychiatrists and the legal system are hand-cuffed when it comes to the insanity of religious beliefs.
I notice how you shifted it from the insanity of a person, in these cases other posters you ad hommed, and the insanity of the belief. You are quite incorrect. There is no significant group of psychiatrists chomping at the bit to diagnose religious believers as insane.

I am quite sure a significant number of psychiatrists consider religious belief delusional. But calling someone insane is quite different from saying that a belief of theirs is delusional.

No. I just think everyone should be free to choose it if they want when old enough, not to have their mind fucked up as children.

If a consenting adult wants to choose religion, fine.

If a kid is told this is a sin and that is a sin and they'll go to hell for this and purgatory for that, not fine. It addles people's reason for life. Not everyone of course. But I have seen it do lasting and severe damage.

No. I just think everyone should be free to choose it if they want when old enough, not to have their mind fucked up as children.
Does that hold for the children of Republicans also? (you can change that to Democrats if you find my first choice offensive....and then mull over the issues it raises)
If a kid is told this is a sin and that is a sin and they'll go to hell for this and purgatory for that, not fine. It addles people's reason for life. Not everyone of course. But I have seen it do lasting and severe damage.
I am really scared about what the children of this generation of Neo-cons is going to do to our rights and the third world. I think we should have a law forbidding political talk in the home until the children reach at least 16.

Not the usual atheist bashing thread. But I am curious. It would seem that most ardent and "militant" atheists have a God complex and want control over what other people should believe.

I do

Is this present in all atheists to some extent?

maybe , probably

Do all atheists wish people believed like them?

for me yes

because I believe in my own being , Humanity , above any god(s) as it should be , Naturally

I am really scared about what the children of this generation of Neo-cons is going to do to our rights and the third world. I think we should have a law forbidding political talk in the home until the children reach at least 16.

Why just political talk? Why not ban all stimulation since we don't know which one will "fuck up" the minds of children? Let them grow up and decide which stimulation they prefer. Keep them isolated till they are 10 perhaps. Minus any potential brainwashing like language, school, learning, culture, religion, discipline, art, drama, dance or play. Lets leave it all to the children to pick and choose when they are old enought o decide for themselves. Lets not impose our choices on them.

Why just political talk? Why not ban all stimulation since we don't know which one will "fuck up" the minds of children? Let them grow up and decide which stimulation they prefer. Keep them isolated till they are 10 perhaps. Minus any potential brainwashing like language, school, learning, culture, religion, discipline, art, drama, dance or play. Lets leave it all to the children to pick and choose when they are old enought o decide for themselves. Lets not impose our choices on them.

are not childern easily brainwashed though ?

are not childern easily brainwashed though ?

Isn't that the blank slate hyoothesis? I am one of four children from the same couple. Do you believe we are all the same in our religious beliefs? Or, that any of us even reflect our parents' beliefs?

Found an atheistic scientific institution older than a hundred years yet? You know where all these "free thinkers" were thinking "critically"?

Historically that's not possible(apart from what iceaura mentioned in #103), and considering that you're so knowledgeable you surely know why it isn't.
It's become only in the recent century a trend to officially out yourself as an atheist, because prior to that some monotheistic sissies were enjoying the persecution of disbelievers at their heart's content.

Gladly, in spite of that tyrannical behaviour of Christians in Europe, there were still some atheists who brought some interesting things to us.

Back