Do atheists believe in survival of the fittest?

Survival of the fittest

• Big fish feed the little fish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Once again, as is periodically necessary when dealing with theists in any discussion involving evolution: It's not the organism that survives, or reproduces.

Sure but having children is necessary in any case.

Not at all, I agree with you that evolution is becoming redundant.

We no longer define survival by reproductive potential.

What are you talking about ? "Evolution is becoming redundant". Evolution is an ongoing process which cannot become redundant, whatever you mean by redundant.

Open your eyes; evolution is happening all around you

What are you talking about ? "Evolution is becoming redundant". Evolution is an ongoing process which cannot become redundant, whatever you mean by redundant.

Open your eyes; evolution is happening all around you

We're changing the environment too rapidly to be able to adapt to it. Children will have shorter lifespans than their parents soon. Thats a redundancy in evolution.

We're changing the environment too rapidly to be able to adapt to it. Children will have shorter lifespans than their parents soon. Thats a redundancy in evolution.

You are taking a very narrow and anthropocentric view of evolution. Bugs are mutating ,so research is ongoing to combate the new strains. Ask a farmer about how his pesticides gradually become less effective.

As far as humankind is concerned, nature doesn't give a damn whether we are here or not. Having said that, I would ask what evidence you have to suggest that children will have shorter lifespans than their parents.

You are taking a very narrow and anthropocentric view of evolution. Bugs are mutating ,so research is ongoing to combate the new strains. Ask a farmer about how his pesticides gradually become less effective.

As far as humankind is concerned, nature doesn't give a damn whether we are here or not. Having said that, I would ask what evidence you have to suggest that children will have shorter lifespans than their parents.

Childhood obesity? Heart attacks in teenagers? Earlier incidence and progression of chronic disease? This is the first American generation with a life span lower than their parents, but current projections do not indicate its going to get better soon. And the situation is being repeated in different ways.

Childhood obesity? Heart attacks in teenagers? Earlier incidence and progression of chronic disease? This is the first American generation with a life span lower than their parents, but current projections do not indicate its going to get better soon. And the situation is being repeated in different ways.

Agreed. But think about the Third World ! As I said before, nature doesn't give a damn.

Agreed. But think about the Third World ! As I said before, nature doesn't give a damn.

With AIDS and malnutrition, they will be lucky to make it to fifty. And now that food prices are going up, its going to get worse.

Which is what I told her right before she put me on 'ignore'.

SAM:

Since some people cannot move on without my opinion, here it is:

Thanks.

1. Survival of the fittest is a silly phrase: of course the fittest survive! I mean, if it was survival of the weakest, it would be a revelation.

Fittest doesn't always mean physically strongest.

2. Second, in my opinion, the concept, while not moral in and of itself, shows that what is may not be what is right, ie the fittest does not mean the best, just what is most likely to win the competition. So if the majority believe in oppression of the minority, that is the most likely outcome, if they do not, that is the most likely outcome. So survival of the fittest, in a way, undermines moral standards by setting standards of right or wrong in which the weak have no options.

I asked you earlier whether you understood the difference between the theory of biological evolution and Social Darwinism. You said you knew the difference. Yet, here you are mixing the two concepts together.

Few, if any, biologists would think that "survival of the fittest" is a moral code that we ought to live by. But as a biological explanation of the origin of species, there is no real alternative.

3. survival of the fittest is exemplified by the do as I say not as I do policies that the most "secular" countries impose on the rest of the disadvantaged world. In that it is a basis of colonialism, slavery, structural adjustment policies, eugenics and social Darwinism.

You're not doing very well on the idea of "fitness". You're assuming (wrongly) that fitness always means strength and power, and the ability to dominate other beings. It does not.

SAM said:
Sure but having children is necessary in any case.
Not for the organism.

The organism does better not having children, normally. Survives longer, remains more fit, etc.

James R

SAM:

Thanks.
Fittest doesn't always mean physically strongest.
I asked you earlier whether you understood the difference between the theory of biological evolution and Social Darwinism. You said you knew the difference. Yet, here you are mixing the two concepts together.

Few, if any, biologists would think that "survival of the fittest" is a moral code that we ought to live by. But as a biological explanation of the origin of species, there is no real alternative.

You're not doing very well on the idea of "fitness". You're assuming (wrongly) that fitness always means strength and power, and the ability to dominate other beings. It does not.

James I do not consider survival of the fittest as an adequate metaphor for natural selection. Hence I use it as defined, competition for predominance. By virtue of that definition, you can also ascertain that I do not consider natural selection to be a competition for dominance, it is retrospective and a consequence rather than a cause.

Biological fitness I define as reproductive potential of an organism in a reference environment.

Fitness (often denoted w in population genetics models) is a central concept in evolutionary theory. It describes the capability of an individual of certain genotype to reproduce, and usually is equal to the proportion of the individual's genes in all the genes of the next generation. If differences in individual genotypes affect fitness, then the frequencies of the genotypes will change over generations; the genotypes with higher fitness become more common. This process is called natural selection.

iceaura:

Not for the organism.

The organism does better not having children, normally. Survives longer, remains more fit, etc.

True, having children is an investment in the future, you have to pay for it.

Last edited:
SAM,
Have you ever wondered what atheists believe about having children ? Do the see a sunset as a theist does ? Do they pick their noses ? Do they fart louder than theists ?

There's a rich vein of vital information about atheists waiting to be mined. You only have to ask !

SAM,
Have you ever wondered what atheists believe about having children ? Do the see a sunset as a theist does ? Do they pick their noses ? Do they fart louder than theists ?

There's a rich vein of vital information about atheists waiting to be mined. You only have to ask !

I had no idea atheism was such a mine of information. :cool:

Back