Did the One True God Ever Talk to Polytheists

You're saying all polytheist stories are probably false, made up, not based on any fact, but many took the time to write countless stories about their non-existent gods.
No I didn't

let me tell you again

Perceiving an array of personalities greater than ourselves may be true
Establishing such personalities as the absolute cause of all causes (and other qualities of god) is false

This is not about who worships who. Just a comparison of two similar if not identical stories. Both refer to god actually taking time to physically communicate with us.
but if you examine the information of both narratives, you might discern a clear distinction

Let me ask you this: is any bible without references to a god actually making real verbal contact with humans worth the papyra its written on? Imagine there are no such stories contained within the OT. Well your faith falls apart. For the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians et al, actual god quotes acted like glue, holding the religion together but in the Judeo/Christian bible that isn't the case because Biblical quotes are the first words the one true god ever uttered to a human. How convenient.
given that you have misinterpreted my statements from the onset, there's not much point responding to this
I will say it again just to make it clear
Yes a human can have an actual experience with an entity higher than themselves
No , that personality, even though greater than a human, is not automatically on par with a monotheistic god

for some reason you seem to have missed the possibility that there could be an array of hierarchical entities (in terms of potency) between humans and god and that these personalities could have their own communities

problem is however that being the cause of all causes (omnimax) is not a distinction that is fond in polytheism

Of course you have yet to establish why this matters? In many ancient belief systems you had a head honcho god and then many other gods in charge of many other things and worshipped on that basis. Is there a valid reason to not worship a god because it's not the boss god?

Now.. Psychotic's question was which god is the boss god? yhwh, allah, vishnu etc and why?

Of course you have yet to establish why this matters? In many ancient belief systems you had a head honcho god and then many other gods in charge of many other things and worshipped on that basis. Is there a valid reason to not worship a god because it's not the boss god?
if a person decides to worship a lesser god while being in knowledge of a greater god, its not clear where your argument lies

Now.. Psychotic's question was which god is the boss god? yhwh, allah, vishnu etc and why?
which gets back to the issue amongst all the people at midday declaring that the sun is directly above their head ....

if a person decides to worship a lesser god while being in knowledge of a greater god, its not clear where your argument lies.

If Allah is a lesser god and Yahweh is the greater then you have at least 2 gods. Throw in Vishnu or any other and the world is polytheistic

If Allah is a lesser god and Yahweh is the greater then you have at least 2 gods. Throw in Vishnu or any other and the world is polytheistic
just like if you say the sun is above your head you have an opinion that seriously contradicts the person next to you who is also reporting the same phenomena
:rolleyes:

just like if you say the sun is above your head you have an opinion that seriously contradicts the person next to you who is also reporting the same phenomena
:rolleyes:

That's so weak. Sun god believers might like it though, you're making their case which actually sounds more plausible then monotheism.

if a person decides to worship a lesser god while being in knowledge of a greater god, its not clear where your argument lies

It's only possible to worship one?

Purely out of interest I didn't make an argument, I asked a question. One, as seems to be consistent with you, you failed to answer.

which gets back to the issue amongst all the people at midday declaring that the sun is directly above their head ...

So there is only one? Why bring the sun in to the issue? Why not just say "yes, it's all the same god, people just see it differently"? Odd individual.

It's only possible to worship one?
no
but if person knows the distinction and the relationship between the two entities (ie one is absolute and the other is contingent), its not clear where your argument lies

So there is only one?
certainly - there are very good reasons why it is philosophically difficult to assert two or more omnimax personalities

Why bring the sun in to the issue? Why not just say "yes, it's all the same god, people just see it differently"? Odd individual.
because mr. psychotic episode is trying to throw all accounts of worship in the same category

Just like the sun has very real qualities (distinguished in certain ways from the moon for eg) so does a monotheistic god - thus one can make clear distinctions between a polytheistic god and a monotheistic god - just like you can make clear distinctions between night and day

but if person knows the distinction and the relationship between the two entities (ie one is absolute and the other is contingent), its not clear where your argument lies

Second time: I didn't make an argument, I posed a question. Work out the difference and get back to me. Then when that's done answer me what value your statement has to anything given your own admission that a person can worship both.

Remember that this goes back to your statement: "problem is however that being the cause of all causes (omnimax) is not a distinction that is fond in polytheism "

Not only are you wrong, (most polytheistic religions recognise a single chief god), but you haven't sufficiently answered why that matters in the case of worship. A person can worship many gods.

certainly - there are very good reasons why it is philosophically difficult to assert two or more omnimax personalities

Finally a straight answer. To the latter part I would state that completely without any difficulty to acknowledge that there might be many gods that need worship and servitude alongside an omnimax entity. Indeed many gods have had children - (why wouldn't they?), and thus while these gods are not original bosses, they demand and are due as much worship as the boss.

Just like the sun has very real qualities (distinguished in certain ways from the moon for eg) so does a monotheistic god - thus one can make clear distinctions between a polytheistic god and a monotheistic god

I don't see how you think you can make a comparison between the sun and the existence of many deities and the questions posed by Psychotic.

Last edited:
snakelord

Second time: I didn't make an argument, I posed a question. Work out the difference and get back to me. Then when that's done answer me what value your statement has to anything given your own admission that a person can worship both.

Remember that this goes back to your statement: "problem is however that being the cause of all causes (omnimax) is not a distinction that is fond in polytheism "

Not only are you wrong, (example: ancient Sumerian had many gods but still recognised a head god - this in itself puts your statement rightfully down the shitter), but you haven't sufficiently answered why that matters in the case of worship. A person can worship many gods.
once again, if a person is aware that an omnimax god exists amongst an array of non-omnimax gods (which amounts to one being an absolute entity and the others being relative or contingent), its not clear what you are arguing

For instance suppose there is a decree that one should only have loyalty towards the king - does that mean disrespect is warranted when dealing with his ministers?
(of course if one was thinking that the minister or the ministerial commitee was the final last word in kingly affairs, problems would arise)

Finally a straight answer. To the latter part I would state that completely without any difficulty to acknowledge that there might be many gods that need worship and servitude alongside an omnimax entity. Indeed many gods have had children - (why wouldn't they?), and thus while these gods are not original bosses, they demand and are due as much worship as the boss.
yes - even a minister is worthy of the respect one would normally muster for the king - still, there is a clear distinction of what it means to be a king and what it means to be a minister

Just like the sun has very real qualities (distinguished in certain ways from the moon for eg) so does a monotheistic god - thus one can make clear distinctions between a polytheistic god and a monotheistic god

I don't see how you think you can make a comparison between the sun and the existence of many deities and the questions posed by Psychotic.
he is trying to place every theologically documented occurence as non-different from the monotheistic god
this is kind of like trying to assert that every celestial body in the sky is the sun

Back