Did Jesus really exist?

M*W wrote
Not that it matters, but I did my undergraduate work at a Baptist university. From then on, I read a lot of books, not just the NT, which is filled with the lies of Paul. I focus on understanding Jesus, the human being. For one, the Beatitudes, and two, the two great laws that cover all laws. Just because Jesus is a dead rabbi, doesn't mean that he wasn't a great prophet in his time. I try to look at the spiritual side of Jesus rather than him as a savior, which he wasn't. My source--my heart. Just because I'm not a Xian, you think that I don't know Jesus. Jesus wasn't a Xian either, so why would I believe in Xianity. I'd rather just believe Jesus.

Yet the only source for Jesus’ teacher and his life is from the NT, which you have considered lies from Paul. How do you know what is true in the NT (including the Beatitudes, the two great laws, and Jesus life) if in the first place you have considered it all lies from Paul? That is a confusing point of view. Why not consider the Beatitudes, the two great laws, and Jesus life are also all lies from Paul, or also consider the rest of NT to be true? What is the delineation between what is true and what is a lie? From what sources are you getting your information?

Originally posted by SVRP
M*W wrote

Yet the only source for Jesus’ teacher and his life is from the NT, which you have considered lies from Paul. How do you know what is true in the NT (including the Beatitudes, the two great laws, and Jesus life) if in the first place you have considered it all lies from Paul? That is a confusing point of view. Why not consider the Beatitudes, the two great laws, and Jesus life are also all lies from Paul, or also consider the rest of NT to be true? What is the delineation between what is true and what is a lie? From what sources are you getting your information?

Yes, it is not an easy task to discern what is true and what is not true. From reading a variety of sources, I believe Jesus may have actually cited the beatitudes, the 2 gread laws, and parts of the Lord's prayer. Although this is sketchy at best, when Paul and/or the church father's included these lines in the Bible, all the references I have found indicate that these are actually the words of Jesus. Outside of these citations, there is not much attributed to Jesus's own words. My religious sources were Baptist doctrine and then later Catholic doctrine when I converted. When i deconverted, I began researching outside of religious dogma. How can you tell what is true and what is a lie? The gift of gnosis.

M*W wrote
My religious sources were Baptist doctrine and then later Catholic doctrine when I converted. When i deconverted, I began researching outside of religious dogma.

Specifically what were the titles of your sources?

M*W wrote
How can you tell what is true and what is a lie? The gift of gnosis.

Please don't be evasive. That was not an intelligent answer for one who has claimed to know the truth about "Xianity". Try to be specific and answer the question again.

Originally posted by SVRP
M*W wrote

Specifically what were the titles of your sources?

M*W wrote

Please don't be evasive. That was not an intelligent answer for one who has claimed to know the truth about "Xianity". Try to be specific and answer the question again.

I've posted a bibliography previously, but for starters:

Anything by Laurence Gardner:
Bloodline of the Holy Grail
The Genealogy of Jesus
Genesis of the Grail Kings
The Secrets of the Sacred Ark

Anything by Campbell and Wilson:
Genisis
Geneset

The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity, Dr. Hyam Maccoby

The Tomb of God (I don't remember the authors, and my copy is in my library and I don't feel like getting it down just now).

The Horse of God (CD Rom) by my friend Martha Neyman of Belgium

There's so much more, but I don't want to climb up the shelves to get them down.

Also, the Internet offers a wealth of information on Jesus, his personal life, his marriage to M.Magdalena, and their children.

How can you tell what is true and what is a lie? The gift of gnosis.

Now you claim to be a gnostic? Sorry to disappoint you, but you seem to have no understanding of gnosticism at all.

Originally posted by Circe
Now you claim to be a gnostic? Sorry to disappoint you, but you seem to have no understanding of gnosticism at all.

Obviously, as a Christian, you wouldn't understand that.

Isn't Circe wicca for something?

Shouldn't we be fair and examine the writings of books about the bible just as much as we examine the bible M*W?

Ah a greek goddess used sometimes by wiccan groups. It's been along time since I've read any books of homer. Now let me guess M*W name. Is M*W named after <i>Clan of the Cave Bear</i> wich depicts a young prehistoric medicine women name Alya learning the clan's secrets of how to hunt?

Originally posted by okinrus
Ah a greek goddess used sometimes by wiccan groups. It's been along time since I've read any books of homer. Now let me guess M*W name. Is M*W named after <i>Clan of the Cave Bear</i> wich depicts a young prehistoric medicine women name Alya learning the clan's secrets of how to hunt?

Actually, no, although I found out later about the Clan series. I take my name from a Native American tribal healer. Also, it is the name of my business. I'm a midwife.

Yes unless if Darryl has played in other cavemen type movies. There was a midwife scene in that movie right?

Originally posted by okinrus
Yes unless if Darryl has played in other cavemen type movies. There was a midwife scene in that movie right?

Darryl's character gave birth as I recall, but the elders felt there wasn't enough food for them with this new addition, so they sent her out in the cold of winter. This is all I remember, and I don't recall the name of it. They did survive, however. I'm not much of a TV and movie buff. My entertainment is reading and writing.

The books are by Jean M Auel. I'm trying to finish the last one at the moment, but you can only read so much about sex, soapweed and horses.

Originally posted by ScrollMaker
If is hard to see if he really lived, because if he did live then he would have lived 2,000 years ago. Finding evidence of a specific person, even as famous as Jesus would prove to be a hard task. It doesn't help that he wasn't famous while still young, like a person of royalty would be.

I think it is enough that the Jews 15.8 million(0.2% of the world) and the Christians 2235.7 million (28.3% of the world) believed he walked the earth, all those faiths disputed about Jesus is if he was the son of god, Jews believe he was a probate and the Christians believe he was the son of god. There are not many people in the world (who are educated on the topic) who dispute he walked the earth
worldrel.gif

M*W wrote
I've posted a bibliography previously, but for starters:

Anything by Laurence Gardner:
Bloodline of the Holy Grail
The Genealogy of Jesus
Genesis of the Grail Kings
The Secrets of the Sacred Ark

Anything by Campbell and Wilson:
Genisis
Geneset

The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity, Dr. Hyam Maccoby

The Tomb of God (I don't remember the authors, and my copy is in my library and I don't feel like getting it down just now).

The Horse of God (CD Rom) by my friend Martha Neyman of Belgium

There's so much more, but I don't want to climb up the shelves to get them down.

Also, the Internet offers a wealth of information on Jesus, his personal life, his marriage to M.Magdalena, and their children.

If this is your source of information, then Christianity has nothing to worry about. It will last another two thousand years and more because it is based on historical evidence, and not on the latest speculative theories based on fables from the Middle Ages.

(i say this without having read all posts... i dont have time tonight im still in high school and its nearing my bed time)

M*W, theres your problem right there! YOU WERE RAISED CATHOLIC! catholics invented lies (and manipulation, what you call "peaceful persuasion"...).

Back