Did Jesus fulfill the Prophesy?

Searching for Truth
Valued Senior Member
Ok now I will prove they three day and three night prophesy wrong.
Lets suppose not even a word was added or taken out of the Bible. For this second I believe that Bible is the word of God. Just stay with me. I don't want to make any confusions.

Jews ask Jesus a sign of prophethood in reply Jesus says:

"But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth"
Mathew 12:39-40
Jesus says three days and three nights, he never claims that he will rise on the third day.

So Jesus is claiming that if Jesus is a prophet then he would be in his grave ("heart of the earth") for 3 days and 3 nights after this period he will not remain on earth. This sign has alone decide if he was a prophet or not. This is a "Do or Die" situation. "Truth and Lie" shall be decided by this verse.

Now, what is "Good Friday"? "Good Friday" is the day Christians tell us Jesus (pbuh) was crucified. In Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (tenth edition), it is defined as "the Friday before Easter observed in churches as the anniversary of the crucifxion of Christ." This is also confimed by the Bible:

"And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is , the day before the Sabbath"
Mark 15:42

So the Bible tells us that Jesus (pbuh) died on Friday, just before nightfall.

According to the Bible, the Jews had been carting Jesus (pbuh) back and forth on "Good Friday" between Pontius Pilate and Harod trying to get a conviction and official sanction to crucify him. After all of this carting back and forth, they finallly get him to the cross and hang him up on it. However, no sooner have they gotten him up on the cross than they are in a hurry to get him back down again. Why is that? It is because they believed that if he remained on the cross all night then he would defile there land.

"And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree: His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accuresed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."
Dueteronomy 21:22-23

So the Jews begged Pilate to break Jesus' legs so that he would die quickly from suffocation:

"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for that Sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.."
John 19:31

About the sixth hour (twelve noon), Jesus is claimed to be in front of Pilate (John 19:14). According to the Bible (e.g. John 19:30), Jesus died around the ninth hour (three PM). During these three hours Jesus was dressed in purple with a crown of thorns and made fun of, spat on, abused and beaten, and then made to carry the cross to the location of his execution (John 19:17), the cross was planted in the ground, he was hung up on it, his title was written in Hebrew, Greek and Latin on the cross, lots were cast his clothes distributed, he spoke to one of the two thieves and to an apostle, many people passed before him and rebuked him, he was given something to drink, and he died, all of which took place in these three hours, and his legs were never broken. After that there was thunder, and eclipse, and an earthquake, the veil of the temple was rent in twain, and the dead came out of their graves. Jesus (pbuh) was then let down and placed in the shroud and the tomb. Early Sunday morning (the first day of the week according to the Jews), while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene visits the tomb alone (Mark 16:9, John 20:1) and finds the stone moved and Jesus (pbuh) missing.

Let us count now:

Event: Days: Nights:

"Good Friday " --- one

Saturday (the Sabbath) one one

Sunday Morning --- ---

Total 1 2

Jesus stayed in the "heart of the earth" for 1 day and 2 nights. It is impossible for it to be 3 days and 3 nights. Even if you count Friday daytime you would then get 2 days and 2 nights

Does that mean Jesus lied?

Now I ask you is the Bible corrupted?

I ask you did Jesus make a false prophesy?

Prove me wrong if you can. I have an answer but I like the Christians to answer first.

Last edited:
I guess you can't count. Friday -- One. Saturday -- Two. Sunday -- Three

Hey if you don't like it, this is what we can do -- we can seal you up in a cave and you can knock when you want out, after it SEEMS like you have been in there for 3 days.

Nice reply but I think you don't seem to read the verse correctly. Where in the verse did Jesus say he will rise on the Third day. He said three days and three nights. Read carefully dude. The way I showed and counted was in days and nights not WHOLE DAYS.

This is what you said:
"Hey if you don't like it, this is what we can do -- we can seal you up in a cave and you can knock when you want out, after it SEEMS like you have been in there for 3 days."

Indeed I will be in the cave for 3 days, then where will the nights come from. Or if you meant 3 whole days then agree. Jesus didn't say three whole days, but 3 days and 3 nights. If you were to count them seperately then that would make 3+3=6 WHOLE DAYS.

786 said:
Nice reply but I think you don't seem to read the verse correctly. Where in the verse did Jesus say he will rise on the Third day. He said three days and three nights. Read carefully dude. The way I showed and counted was in days and nights not WHOLE DAYS.

This is what you said:
"Hey if you don't like it, this is what we can do -- we can seal you up in a cave and you can knock when you want out, after it SEEMS like you have been in there for 3 days."

Indeed I will be in the cave for 3 days, then where will the nights come from. Or if you meant 3 whole days then agree. Jesus didn't say three whole days, but 3 days and 3 nights. If you were to count them seperately then that would make 3+3=6 WHOLE DAYS.

THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS

You may be looking at the wrong event. Maybe the 3 days and 3 nights is for the 2nd Coming. Look at 666. 666 multiplied by 3 is 2000. After the First 666 years was the Fall of the Roman, the Persian and the Chinese Civilizations. We had the rise of Islam to pillage the Near East. Europe was sacked by Barbarians. China was wishing it had built that Wall a little higher.

After the next 666 years in the 13th Century we had the World Conquest by the the Mongols. Europe just escaped. But then the Plague got carried away a Third of the World's Population.

Now we have the Third 666. The Third Rise and Fall of Civilization. the Third Day and Night.

I think I am not. The verse I presented claimed Jesus being in the heart of the earth. And it was directed to the jews who asked the question. There is no way that those jews are stilling living, unless God kept them alive, which I doubt.

And another reason is that if you ask any Christian if this already took place then all would answer YES. So indeed everyone is claiming this event not his Second Coming.

Last edited:
Someone please answer my question. Or is there no answer.

The various accounts of Jesus's life in the bible differ among the different authors. Maybe Mathew got this one wrong.

Who says the bible is perfect?

Good Answer. But that makes the Bible corrupt. I thought the word of God is not corrupt. If one thing could be wrong then many things could be wrong. How could the Bible be trusted then?

It can't be. There are many many things wrong with the bible. It's full of contradictions both with itself, and with known facts that were not known at the time of writing. It has also been altered. There are references to over 20 scriptures in the bible that are not available anywhere, so it's incomplete. It simply can't be relied upon as having any accuracy or truth.

I think we've already mentioned this on another thread. Hebrews, by tradition, count half days as full days. Thus Jesus was in the ground for three days. As for the three three nights, the professor who I've read said that it was an aramaic idiom. Matthew also was written *after* the crucifixion and resurrection, and the other gospels such as Luke tell a similar account but do not quote from the Septuagint passage. The gospels are to tell the story, and not every quote from Jesus will be exactly as he said it because the aramaic words were translated into Greek. There's also some liberty of expression that the writers could have taken such as a quotation from the Septuagint. Ancient writers were a bit more tolerant in the retelling of historical events than we are now.

I am just reading the verses Jesus said. No where in it did he say I will rise on the third day. and I always wanted to ask this. Why shouldn't we take Jesus's words literally? Was he talking in riddles or something? or Did Jesus ever say that don't take his words literally?

I am just reading the verses Jesus said. No where in it did he say I will rise on the third day. and I always wanted to ask this.
He does but perhaps not exactly in those words.

Why shouldn't we take Jesus's words literally?
We do but they must be understood in the context they were written.

Was he talking in riddles or something? or Did Jesus ever say that don't take his words literally?
He does not say "everything I say is to be taken literally" either. Somethings are to be taken literally, somethings symbolically, and somethings are riddles. Usually one can tell by the context of which it is said.

786... see Matt. 20:19 where Jesus tells the disciples he will be scourged and crucified on the 1st day, and risen on the 3rd. Then there's this document:

http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ488.HTM

It says that "three days and three nights" is a Hebrew idiom. I got that from a quick google, and I'm too tired to read the whole thing right now (sorry :) )... but I look forward to reading it and your replies after a good... days.. rest.

I have been given this article many times. Let me explain it to you.

For this second i'll take your claim for three days, and forget the three nights. That would make 3 Whole Days. So Friday, Staurday, Sunday. This makes it 3 days. But let me get you to the verse again. Jesus is going to stay in the "heart of the earth". If someone was to stay "in" then that means he would some out the 4th day because he has in his grave for three days, Sunday is the third day. So if Jesus rose on Sunday then that makes him be in the grave for 2 days and risen on the third. I hope you understand. Best thing to do is read Jonas story about him being in the belly. Jesus said to the sign is Jonas's being in the whales belly. I want you read the story about Jonas, then you can understand that Jonas stayed in the belly for 3 days and 3 nights. Thus meaning coming out the 4th day.

And one more question who ever is giving me these articles. Did Jesus ever claimed that don't take his words literally? If not than how do you know that he didn't want you to take his words literally? Religion is not made on assumptions, it is based on the truth.

If you couldn't find the story of Jonas. Then here it is:

The mainstream denominations of the world teach that Jesus Christ was crucified and died on Good Friday, and was resurrected on Sunday morning , 36 hours later.

However, Jesus Christ said he would be in the grave for three days and three nights, just as Jonah was in the whales belly three days and three nights, a total of 72 hours.

The question becomes who is right? The mainstream denominations, or Jesus Christ?

Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees asked Jesus this question. Master, we seek a sign from you. 39) He answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; I’m telling you ONE sign shall be given! And that is the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man (Jesus Christ) be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matt 12:38-40:

WAS JONAH IN THE WHALES BELLY THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS?

Jonah 01:01-17) Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,

02) Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me. 03) But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord. 04) But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken. 05) Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.

06) So the ship master came to him, and said unto him, What do you mean by sleeping during this danger, O sleeper? Arise, call upon your God, so, that we will not perish. 07) And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know who to blame for the evil that has come upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah. 08) Then said they unto him, what have you done to bring this evil upon us? What is your occupation? and where are you from? what is your country? and from what people are you? 09) And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.

15) they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging. 16) Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly more, and offered a sacrifice unto the Lord, and made vows

17) NOW THE LORD PREPARED A GREAT FISH TO SWALLOW UP JONAH. SO JONAH WAS IN THE BELLY OF THE FISH THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS.

Jonah 02:01-10: Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly, 02) And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and you heard my voice. 03) For you had cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. 4) Then I said, I am cast out of your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple. 05) The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

06) I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet have you brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God. 07) When my soul fainted within me I remembered the Lord: and my prayer came in unto you, into your holy temple. 08) They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. 09) But I will sacrifice unto you with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that I have vowed. Salvation is of the Lord. 10) And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

The story of Jonah in the whales belly, was the ONE AND ONLY SIGN, Jesus Christ would give to that generation.

Religion is not made on assumptions, it is based on the truth.
So it claims, but does not withstand a verification process.

It's strange you're not adressing my posts, when my points make the others rather moot.

Back