Did God actually create Rabies?

And it wipes out humanity -> salvation.
If it's large enough no lifeforms will remain as the earth will be transformed in one big ball of lava.

arguably the reason humans have it tougher than the others is because they can see how things are and simultaneously know how things should be ...

depends whether you think benevolence involves making a prison so delightful that no one wants to leave ...

So God first makes a prison where there is incredible suffering for some. I mean that is what I would do for my children. Torture some of them, make it hard for most, so they would want to leave. I mean it would never occur to me, an all powerful being to skip the whole prison torture part of things.

No, it brings life! They have determined that PERHAPS some asteroids have living things imbeded in them which COULD start life on the right planets they may impact upon. That is at least one THEORY they have postulaed as to how life started here on Earth. Water , as well, scientists believe was brought to Earth by asteroids as well.:)

But God, in his infinite wisdom, created and embedded those life forms.

Have you planned your trip and bought your ticket ?
you mean you haven't?

The others? :shrug:
yes, there are others on the planet apart from humans

So God first makes a prison where there is incredible suffering for some.
actually the first thing behind any construction of a prison is that there are a class of person who are criminal.
If a city designer incorporates a prison into some prospectus, it snot like they are trying to create a niche market
I mean that is what I would do for my children. Torture some of them, make it hard for most, so they would want to leave.
Your children are such angels that you can manage them purely with positive reinforcement?

I mean it would never occur to me, an all powerful being to skip the whole prison torture part of things.
As I have mentioned before, the soul proper is untouched by any issues of suffering - its just the body that undergoes such things - material life is characterized by thinking that the final last word about myself is my body. Therefore an important ingredient of material life is oodles of illusion, since the body is quite obviously a sad object of meditation. Basically the problem is that we have desires to express and its not proper that they be expressed in an eternal medium - so we are decked out with a kind of very effective virtual reality suit that gives us a range of options we can change (many species of life) and which dishes out results according to our acts - basically whatever good or bad we face in this world is a result of whatever good or bad we have previously inflicted on the world (karma) over previous lifetimes.

yes, there are others on the planet apart from humans

I see. It confused me, I've never heard of the rest of the animal kingdom referred to as 'the others'.

So, you're claiming that humans have it tougher than animals. What data are you using to form that conclusion?

actually the first thing behind any construction of a prison is that there are a class of person who are criminal.
If a city designer incorporates a prison into some prospectus, it snot like they are trying to create a niche market
three year old children with brain tumors? as one example amongst many.

Your children are such angels that you can manage them purely with positive reinforcement?
some children are locked in basements from an early age and repeatedly raped by male members of their families. No, there is nothing that could make me shape a prison for my children where that would happen.

As I have mentioned before, the soul proper is untouched by any issues of suffering - its just the body that undergoes such things - material life is characterized by thinking that the final last word about myself is my body.
Maybe not your soul, but you are very confused when you generalize. Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about when you generalize.

Therefore an important ingredient of material life is oodles of illusion, since the body is quite obviously a sad object of meditation.
Perhaps your body is. It sounds like you dislike it. Perhaps this is not the right plane of existence for you. I hope your journey beyond this plane is soon.

Basically the problem is that we have desires to express and its not proper that they be expressed in an eternal medium - so we are decked out with a kind of very effective virtual reality suit that gives us a range of options we can change (many species of life) and which dishes out results according to our acts - basically whatever good or bad we face in this world is a result of whatever good or bad we have previously inflicted on the world (karma) over previous lifetimes.
Yeah, I've read that too, but if you actually look at what is happening you will see it is not happening that way. This is the rich man's entitlement over in the spiritual realm. Again. Maybe Karma has worked out this way for you, but when you generalize you have not idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should consider the damage you do when you repeat things you think are true 'abuot everyone' but actually for some of us they are lies that have held us down, just like the bs in the mundane world about the rich being smarter and having tried harder. Look and more importantly feel more deeply or keep your judgements to descriptions of what you need and what you have experienced for yourself. They do not fit me and people I know.

If an animal goes nuts it is most likely is due to their association with humans

O...k. Anyway, if you get the time..

you're claiming that humans have it tougher than animals. What data are you using to form that conclusion?

sowhatifitsdark
Originally Posted by lightgigantic

three year old children with brain tumors? as one example amongst many

some children are locked in basements from an early age and repeatedly raped by male members of their families. No, there is nothing that could make me shape a prison for my children where that would happen.

As I have mentioned before, the soul proper is untouched by any issues of suffering - its just the body that undergoes such things - material life is characterized by thinking that the final last word about myself is my body.

Maybe not your soul, but you are very confused when you generalize. Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about when you generalize.
If you want to accept that the body is the final last word about a person (eg - a three year old has no history behind them except three years) then your argument makes sense.
What I don't think you understand is the notion of suffering in the material universe incorporates a broader picture,.

For instance, many of the people who are absolutely disgusted by mistreatment of humans are compliant contributers to the grossest type of neglect to animals (here's a well produced documentary on the subject)

Would you agree that this is barbaric? Sinful?
Or do you think it is totally bereft of any notions of being more entangled in bad karma?

Therefore an important ingredient of material life is oodles of illusion, since the body is quite obviously a sad object of meditation.

Perhaps your body is.
your body is not subject to birth, death old age or disease?
your body is not subject to sufferings caused by other living entities, natural phenomena (eg sun burn) or even sufferings caused by the mind and body itself?
It sounds like you dislike it. Perhaps this is not the right plane of existence for you. I hope your journey beyond this plane is soon.
its not quite so fatalistic
Generally people don't like to hear their body "blasphemed" - which is understandable, since it tends to be the only thing they know in life. IOW all the "richness" (ie variety) that life affords can only be comprehended in terms of bodily ideas of happiness. So to reject what the body has to offer comes to signify to reject everything.
This is not the case.

What should be clear to any casual observer, is that it absolutely impossible to bring this standard of bodily happiness to everyone on the planet on a wide scale (of course we can do things better or worse - but there is no scope for the eradication of issues of death, disease, old age, pain of separation, etc etc ... all of which are characteristic of temporal life ... actually we don't even bother to try to solve these issues since we are so busy trying to solve issues of our own folly - eg economics, politics etc).

The issue is that we experience happiness, but it seems to have a poor marriage to this world. Seeking out the source of that happiness is what it means to surmount the bodily concept of life and spiritual advancement. Pointing out the shortcomings of the body is only an initial stage.

Basically the problem is that we have desires to express and its not proper that they be expressed in an eternal medium - so we are decked out with a kind of very effective virtual reality suit that gives us a range of options we can change (many species of life) and which dishes out results according to our acts - basically whatever good or bad we face in this world is a result of whatever good or bad we have previously inflicted on the world (karma) over previous lifetimes.

Yeah, I've read that too, but if you actually look at what is happening you will see it is not happening that way. This is the rich man's entitlement over in the spiritual realm.
I don't understand.
I am not aware how rich people have the inside track on spiritual life.
Generally a good set up for spiritual life is to be moderately situated - not too rich, not too poor etc etc - since the material world is ultimately meant for neither our enjoyment nor renunciation.
Again. Maybe Karma has worked out this way for you, but when you generalize you have not idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should consider the damage you do when you repeat things you think are true 'abuot everyone' but actually for some of us they are lies that have held us down, just like the bs in the mundane world about the rich being smarter and having tried harder. Look and more importantly feel more deeply or keep your judgements to descriptions of what you need and what you have experienced for yourself. They do not fit me and people I know.
there are various trappings one can acquire by (so-called) good karma from previous lifetimes- wealth, beauty, intelligence etc etc
and conversely there is the other end of the stick - disease, poverty etc

all these things however do not ultimately affect whether one participates in spiritual life or not.
If the goal of spiritual life is to get the good end of the stick in the material world, what makes it different from materialism?

O...k. Anyway, if you get the time..

you're claiming that humans have it tougher than animals. What data are you using to form that conclusion?
I thought the documentary was obvious.
The higher the intelligence, the greater scope for misusing it.

Kind of like the higher you climb up the ladder, the more its going to hurt if you are clumsy.

I thought the documentary was obvious

Oh, youtube was the data? Ok then.

I only asked given things you have said in the past - namely how we reincarnate - the whole idea of which is to gain devotion to this god of yours. Surely in saying that it has to be tougher on the animal because while in that state they can never achieve it?

Oh, youtube was the data? Ok then.
well it did win the best feature film award at the activist film festival when it was released in 2005 - it also scored awards at two other film festivals

I only asked given things you have said in the past - namely how we reincarnate - the whole idea of which is to gain devotion to this god of yours. Surely in saying that it has to be tougher on the animal because while in that state they can never achieve it?
actually my comments were in relation to suffering in the material world.
Humans have it tough(er).

And that is all due to not taking the opportunity the human life affords - namely
the opportunity to get free from the cycle of birth and death - which basically means a slide back to the animal species

three year old children with brain tumors? as one example amongst many.

Perhaps your body is. It sounds like you dislike it. Perhaps this is not the right plane of existence for you. I hope your journey beyond this plane is soon.

Yeah, I've read that too, but if you actually look at what is happening you will see it is not happening that way. This is the rich man's entitlement over in the spiritual realm. Again. Maybe Karma has worked out this way for you, but when you generalize you have not idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should consider the damage you do when you repeat things you think are true 'abuot everyone' but actually for some of us they are lies that have held us down, just like the bs in the mundane world about the rich being smarter and having tried harder. Look and more importantly feel more deeply or keep your judgements to descriptions of what you need and what you have experienced for yourself. They do not fit me and people I know.

He's talking about the effect of knowledge. The notion that we need to have an opinion on disease or rape or create abstract values like money and time is a human affliction.

If you want to accept that the body is the final last word about a person (eg - a three year old has no history behind them except three years) then your argument makes sense.
What I don't think you understand is the notion of suffering in the material universe incorporates a broader picture,.
You are making assumptions about what I must believe. If you think that every three year old who is being tortured is getting some kind of karmic payback you are not paying attention. And you probably need this to be true for some reason of your own. I do believe in past lives.

Or do you think it is totally bereft of any notions of being more entangled in bad karma?
I think your version of karma is an old misunderstanding.

your body is not subject to sufferings caused by other living entities, natural phenomena (eg sun burn) or even sufferings caused by the mind and body itself?
strawmen arguments.

Generally people don't like to hear their body "blasphemed" - which is understandable, since it tends to be the only thing they know in life. IOW all the "richness" (ie variety) that life affords can only be comprehended in terms of bodily ideas of happiness. So to reject what the body has to offer comes to signify to reject everything.
This is not the case.
I never accused you of rejecting everything. Another strawman argument. You are so used to presenting your beliefs to certain people with certain ideas that you assume everyone who disagrees with you must have these same ideas.

What should be clear to any casual observer, is that it absolutely impossible to bring this standard of bodily happiness to everyone on the planet on a wide scale (of course we can do things better or worse - but there is no scope for the eradication of issues of death, disease, old age, pain of separation, etc etc ... all of which are characteristic of temporal life ... actually we don't even bother to try to solve these issues since we are so busy trying to solve issues of our own folly - eg economics, politics etc).
And now you know what is possible.

The issue is that we experience happiness, but it seems to have a poor marriage to this world. Seeking out the source of that happiness is what it means to surmount the bodily concept of life and spiritual advancement. Pointing out the shortcomings of the body is only an initial stage.
Hating the body has a long and sad spiritual history. Some of us have moved past that.

I don't understand.
Generally a good set up for spiritual life is to be moderately situated - not too rich, not too poor etc etc - since the material world is ultimately meant for neither our enjoyment nor renunciation.

You missed the point.

there are various trappings one can acquire by (so-called) good karma from previous lifetimes- wealth, beauty, intelligence etc etc
there you go. The poor's poverty is counterbalancing something in a former life. The wealthy 'earned' their wealth in a former life. You are not looking very deeply.

all these things however do not ultimately affect whether one participates in spiritual life or not.
If the goal of spiritual life is to get the good end of the stick in the material world, what makes it different from materialism?

Yup, there you are. The very upper chakra spiritualist thinking that anyone who disagrees with him must be a materialist.

See if you can come up with some other possibilities. You're in a rut, with an old dichotomy.

He's talking about the effect of knowledge. The notion that we need to have an opinion on disease or rape or create abstract values like money and time is a human affliction.
See his answers below you post and see if you agree with him. It's that old current experiences are payback for bad things done in the past. There is a hatred of desire, the body, probably sex and emotions also. SAM he'd look down on you if you have presented yourself to some degree accurately. You come across here passionate, emotional, seem to enjoy your attractions to men (and even women), see injustice and are angry about it. In his book you are a materialist.

See his answers below you post and see if you agree with him. It's that old current experiences are payback for bad things done in the past. There is a hatred of desire, the body, probably sex and emotions also. SAM he'd look down on you if you have presented yourself to some degree accurately. You come across here passionate, emotional, seem to enjoy your attractions to men (and even women), see injustice and are angry about it. In his book you are a materialist.

And materialism is also a human affliction. And as he says, we're terribly attached to it. :p

He's speaking of basic Buddhist/Hindu doctrine of karma.

My own idea about karma (re: the three year old) is that it inevitably creates victims. How would you judge a tom cat who deliberately and with great precision kills new born kittens that he may have fathered by snipping off their spine at the neck?

Last edited:
Sowhatifitsdark
Originally Posted by lightgigantic

You are making assumptions about what I must believe.
actually I am trying to explain a concept - whether you believe it or not has nothing to do with me
If you think that every three year old who is being tortured is getting some kind of karmic payback you are not paying attention.
paying attention to what exactly?

And you probably need this to be true for some reason of your own. I do believe in past lives.
you also seem to be displaying a need

I think your version of karma is an old misunderstanding.
that doesn't answer the question
Basically my q is whether you think it is possible (or even quite common) for people to be compliant factors in performing the most horrendous of crimes, and simply be indifferent about it because the victims are not human?

strawmen arguments.
you doubt that these are quite common "downers" to the pursuit of happiness in this world?

This is not the case.

I never accused you of rejecting everything. Another strawman argument. You are so used to presenting your beliefs to certain people with certain ideas that you assume everyone who disagrees with you must have these same ideas.
unfortunately it seems you missed this important point, as evidenced by your "body hating" issues later

And now you know what is possible.
even atheistic philosophers agree that happiness in the material world is simply utopian - i thought it was a non-controversial consensus

Hating the body has a long and sad spiritual history. Some of us have moved past that.
If you think I "hate" the body you haven't been paying attention

I don't understand.

You missed the point.
which was?

there you go. The poor's poverty is counterbalancing something in a former life. The wealthy 'earned' their wealth in a former life. You are not looking very deeply.
that doesn't answer anything

why is one person born in a materially opulent position and another in poverty?
What role does god play in connection to these disparate lifestyles?

Yup, there you are. The very upper chakra spiritualist thinking that anyone who disagrees with him must be a materialist.
all I can gather is that you have some fundamental disagreement about the laws of karma.
I can't gather exactly what your position is, since you seem to be hiding behind shrewdness.

Basically you seem violently opposed to the notion that the body is not the perfect vehicle for happiness.

If you want to have some sort of philosophical discussion, thats nice - but if you just want to leave all responses to something like "You are so wrong - your foolishness indicates you are wrong. Just look at your response to see how wrong you are. You obviously come from a long line of being wrong and now there are new people who are right. I am happy that I am right and that you are wrong" it certainly doesn't seem very progressive ...
:shrug:
See if you can come up with some other possibilities. You're in a rut, with an old dichotomy.
ditto above

See his answers below you post and see if you agree with him. It's that old current experiences are payback for bad things done in the past.
I was going to try and pursue some sort of discussion about why you think there is something wrong about current misfortune being inextricably connected to previous action ..... but it seems you have other issues on your mind at the moment ...
There is a hatred of desire,
actually there is an acceptance of desire as one's eternal companion - there is no question of getting rid of desire

the body,
loving it doesn't change anything - neither does hating it

probably sex and emotions also.
nothing wrong with sex .... although on the topic of emotions it is kind of difficult these days to find a person in a suffering condition of life because they practiced too much discrimination in whom they choose as a sexual partner ....
:p
SAM he'd look down on you if you have presented yourself to some degree accurately.
Sciforums is a medium of accurately representing oneself?
:eek:

You come across here passionate, emotional, seem to enjoy your attractions to men (and even women), see injustice and are angry about it. In his book you are a materialist.
i dunno
maybe I should start a thread or two about my pets or something
:shrug:

Back