Denial of Evolution VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have to believe that science is the work of the devil. There might be a few ways to escape that conclusion, but if so that's probably not true fundamentalism.

How about we change that to 'some might believe.' I know some Christian fundamentalists who regard science very highly.
Where the divide comes in, is that some of them become policitcal in their views. (ok many) lol
And when my views start infinging on your views...we all start getting upset.
We could get into science vs moral law, but let's not go there. lol (I think they are more closely related than they are not)
I believe personally that science and faith (belief in a Creator) can WHOLEHEARTEDLY coexist, but some of my Christian cohorts might not.

No, you are not at all expressing the ideas of fundamentalism, nor do many other religious people that post here. And it can't be limited to Christian fundamentalists since we know there has been a global rebirth of Islamic fundamentalism after the Shah of Iran was deposed. In both of those groups are often often found staggering illiteracy, i.e., incompetency to evaluate what's best for society anyway. Among Jewish fundamentalists I think there tends to be a higher degree of literacy, and I'm not exactly sure how they deal with the conflict that would arise from such a contradiction. It's hard to see how the Eastern religions enter into this fray at all, but no doubt they have their fundamentalists as well.

can you define in your own terms, fundamentalist? (when speaking of the abrahamic faiths u mention here) i know what it means, but want to make sure i'm following your view here when you speak of it. (thank u)

There has to be some normal amount of disagreement between religion and science, but I assure you, I wouldn't be on the soap box at all if I did not feel an overwhelming sense of danger posed by the intrusion of Christian fundamentalism (with all its trappings - racism, xenophobia, misogyny, homophobia and attacks on academia) into the political sphere, and the harm it is doing to vulnerable minds.

agree. but many christians also feel infringed upon as well by the 'science community'.
just saying, it is an unfortunate two way street. :eek:

If none of this had ever happened -- if no Klansman had ever associated himself with the Cross, or the supremacy of the Anglos as a justification that it's God's will (even going so far as to portray Jesus as blue-eyed. What a laugh. And in most of the better known films depicting Jesus, he and his followers are not only Anglos, but also given British accents); if no preacher had ever stood up and declared that Haiti (of all places) was punished by God with the earthquake (or New Orleans, a place of Catholic heritage, with the hurricane) and so forth -- if there had never been a Scopes "Monkey trial", or a law or court case challenging the teaching of evolution, or any of the countless attacks by fundamentalists on academia, science, and the pursuit of knowledge, social progress and liberty -- then you wouldn't be hearing a peep out of me . . . but then again this thread would not likely exist. Not in this forum. We'd just be in Biology, talking about the commonality of human DNA and yeast DNA, things like that.
the Christian faith is filled with HUMANS, though. :eek:
Fallible and sometimes, VERY misguided.
Jesus said, you will know them by their fruit. (believers)
(Matthew 7:16)

And we will.

I enjoy conversations with you, because you are not quick to judge.
You are a good listener. And I appreciate that, because I'm not here to sway opinions to mine.

I did laugh at you injecting sarah palin into the conversation.
Oh gosh. Please know, not all christians are enamored with that woman.
I won't go there, because I don't want to judge her.

Last edited:
faith based phenomenon isn't scientific but yet it has been documented over and over to be a fact. it's a reality.
apparently this effect is so powerful that it requires double blind tests to completely nullify its effects.
for the life of me i can't imagine why evolution would produce such a trait.

It is a built in part of the brain, The mirror neural network, which allows people to experience the same emotions, even imaginary ones.

The Mirror Neural network is one of our most valuable assets, but....it is a double edged sword. Once you believe something to be true, and find confirmation from others, the mind accepts it as true, and that "imprint" is hard to replace, without an incentive to change.

wegs said:
agree. but many christians also feel infringed upon as well by the 'science community'.
just saying, it is an unfortunate two way street
There's no street - it's just a bit of flat earth, on which the fundamentalist Christians stand in the wrong two different ways.

They treat others badly, and they wrong others by mistaking fair treatment of themselves. They condemn others according to their own misperceptions, and they fail to recognize their own offenses. They are problem neighbors and worse enemies, and they create schizmogenetic likenesses of their own political botchdealings everywhere, afflicting the rest of us.

We could get into science vs moral law, but let's not go there.
There is no versus except in the mind of fundamentalists.
Morality is not the exclusive domain of religion.

I'll give you one example.
Observation shows us that humans are a social species. We like to live in groups.
We like to live in groups for a number of reasons, including that it gives us a survival advantage.
Therefore it follows that behaviours that benefit of the group (eg Charity and altruism) should be rewarded and behaviours that are to the detriment of the group (eg theft, murder) should be punished by the group.

It also stands to reason that some behaviours that might ordinarily be to the detriment of the group would not be selected against by evolution because under harsh conditions the offer some survival value to individuals which also ensure the survival of the group.

How about we change that to 'some might believe.' I know some Christian fundamentalists who regard science very highly.
I'm giving those folks the benefit of the doubt. I'm saying they aren't true fundamentalists.

Where the divide comes in, is that some of them become policitcal in their views. (ok many) lol And when my views start infinging on your views...we all start getting upset.
The only thing that fazes me is the abuse of power, esp. when done through propaganda that targets vulnerable minds. Interfering with the teaching of evolution is very harmful to the good of society. It's also emblematic of some of the more twisted kinds of denial, such as the one that leads a man to claim that rape is the will of God. That takes us really close to danger zone. You could say it condones violence, just as the battle cry for gun owners to go out and exercise their Second Amendment rights led to assaults on a few liberal offices. In the Islamic context is the notion of killing and terrorizing people by associating them with the Devil (and its incarnations, like Capitalism), and the most extreme cases are the people who have been brainwashed into believing that they can strap on a pack full of explosives, walk into a crowded place, and find God.

We could get into science vs. moral law, but let's not go there. lol (I think they are more closely related than they are not)
I think all moral law arrives purely out of the force of nature which keeps animals operating in cooperation for mutual survival. So much of bad behavior is instinctively wired into us that we would probably not need any laws at all if it were not for some of the artifices of the civilized world (e.g. traffic laws are a consequence of the invention of machines which are enormously uplifting to human existence but extremely dangerous when not regulated.)

I believe personally that science and faith (belief in a Creator) can WHOLEHEARTEDLY coexist, but some of my Christian cohorts might not.
I'm putting those folks into one bucket and labeling it "denial". If they are also strict fundamentalists, then I'm putting black dots on their foreheads. Then I'm doing a count and noticing that the vast majority of denialists are strict fundamentalists, whether Christian, Islamic, or any religion. It's just that the largest direct impact in domestic affairs (not counting 9/11) goes to the Christian ones.

can you define in your own terms, fundamentalist? (when speaking of the abrahamic faiths u mention here) i know what it means, but want to make sure i'm following your view here when you speak of it. (thank u)
First, it's any person who reads an ancient book of religion with strict literal interpretation, without room for metaphor or interpretation (exegesis) that honestly addresses the main reasons it should not be taken literally. Second, this person is at odds with science wherever science conflicts with the doxology, most notably by opposing the teaching of evolution. There are a lot more quaint ways to describe the ones who put on robes with hoods (more so in the past than now) but the third quality of a fundamentalist is a migration into that second stage of grief, anger, with little more than hatred (the common phobias I mentioned) and the outward expression of hatred (against groups; overt discrimination and feelings of superiority) either passively condoning, or actively participating in cruelty or violence against the targeted individual groups. Without any disrespect to the good people who end up in farming, I would go from here with some of the more poignant characterizations taken from any book that begins: You might be a redneck if . . . , starting first with some of the references made to religion and moving to the ones that characterize the many prejudices these folks have, seen as a stereotype for Southern racism, but also recognized as arising from their issues with anger, anger for having to suffer the indignities that they inflicted upon themselves, whether or not by some curse their ancestors left them heir to.

As you see I'm narrowing it down to a much more select group of "fundamentalists" than plain meaning would require, to be sure I'm not insulting anyone who doesn't deserve to be called to the carpet for all of this.

agree. but many christians also feel infringed upon as well by the 'science community'. just saying, it is an unfortunate two way street. :eek:
If by community you mean individuals (like flame wars full of insults) that's perfectly understandable. What defies comprehension is how anyone can lump scientists into the same category as a religion (operating under a credo), or that science has any other role in the moral life of a society other than preserving human life, upholding virtue and protecting all people from all harm (medicine, civil engineering, safety engineering etc. have these as their express goals), or that there is a cabal or secret society brainwashing us (and this from people completely brainwashed by their parents and religious leaders) or anything that smacks of conspiracy as a general rule. Worse, to attack science from the perception of an attitude of the 'community of scientists' is to attack very nearly all of the universities in the world, and the people who attended them, most of whom devoted themselves to aiding and protecting others, and upholding virtue (beginning with honesty, the most fundamental trait needed to get an education) through devotion to learning and understanding nature. After all nature is our only true enemy. Those who are devoted to protecting us from the ravages of nature should be regarded as friends of the world, giving that knowledge freely to all posterity in the body of work we call Science. That being said, a religious person who is not a fundamentalist (as I've defined it now) should feel very nearly as much offense from fundamentalism as the science community does.

the Christian faith is filled with HUMANS, though. :eek:
Fallible and sometimes, VERY misguided. Jesus said, you will know them by their fruit. (believers)
(Matthew 7:16)
We also talk about the fruits of labor; the most evident everywhere you go are the products of science even though the sweat and broken backs of men and women who didn't have the means to an education brought these things into being. If we are to know science by its fruits, then we would have to conclude that it's nothing short of sacred. This is one way Christians in the past have coped with the issue. There are several eras in Church history in which all things true about nature were considered divinely revealed; that God gave people their faculties of intellect and reason for the express purpose of using them, which necessarily largely amounts to science. Too bad for the fundamentalists that they are primarily Protestants, or they might take their history a little more seriously, and realize that they are centuries behind the reasoning that led the orthodox religions to finally embrace evolution (esp. Roman Catholics).

I enjoy conversations with you, because you are not quick to judge. You are a good listener. And I appreciate that, because I'm not here to sway opinions to mine.
And you are more direct and civil which is great. I guess everyone has different reasons for whiling away their time like this (I liked the caption someone here uses "I really should be studying" - I hope he'll be back after his absence.) Some of us have been so pumped full of facts and experiences I think we can't help ourselves but to do that "data dump" whenever we realize we're talking to someone who hasn't been through it. Science isn't anything like "what they told you do, in them thar books" which especially grates at anyone who took a science major in college. So you're kind of stuck with this void that the science majors are compelled to fill every time the next empty dump truck pulls up. (Whether it has a cross, star of David, 5-pointed star with crescent moon, or any other symbol on it.) ;)

I did laugh at you injecting sarah palin into the conversation.
Oh gosh. Please know, not all christians are enamored with that woman.
I won't go there, because I don't want to judge her.
What a joker, and what a disgrace to the office that could have been held by a woman with even a clue. And worst of all, she is largely a product of the desire to please the morons who want no woman in a stone’s throw of the presidency unless she resembles the dumbest dingbat ever to be left barefoot and pregnant. Palin is of course the person who most famously could not name any Supreme Court case -- other than Roe v Wade -- when asked by the incredulous Katie Couric how she would apply the trends in the Court to navigate the question of which bills should come up first -- the job of the Vice President, in his/her capacity as President of the Senate. (Also egregious was her answer "All of them" to the question "what journals have you read?") What a slap in the face to countless women actually qualified for that very serious job. Of course Palin, a news anchor, stands in stark contrast to Couric, as well as Rachel Madden, the MSNBC anchor who appeared in that clip I posted, much less the more accomplished women in public view - most notably the distinguished Susan Rice, who I hope will rise from the ashes of what they did to her. In any case, it's absurd that people who once revered Sarah Palin would attack a woman of Rice's stature and do so without recognizing the insult to women everywhere. For reasons like this I have no problem passing judgment on the most egregious violators of conscience and good will. There's no question in my mind that Palin suffers from one of the worst cases of terminal stupidity seen since . . . well George W Bush . . . though he brought a passel of contenders to the table.

All of this, just to tighten their grip on the teaching of evolution, with all that it entails (racism to misogyny) - almost exclusively to promote white male supremacy and the de facto institution of religious ideology over public policy - not exactly a Church-State, just a very moronic interpretation of what that might entail. (And downright mean, too.)

There's no street - it's just a bit of flat earth, on which the fundamentalist Christians stand in the wrong two different ways.

They treat others badly, and they wrong others by mistaking fair treatment of themselves. They condemn others according to their own misperceptions, and they fail to recognize their own offenses. They are problem neighbors and worse enemies, and they create schizmogenetic likenesses of their own political botchdealings everywhere, afflicting the rest of us.

in all fairness, 'some' do. :eek:
i'm a christian, and i try ...(and i fail at times) to carry myself as a respector of persons. i really do.
and it deeply pains me to read this. because i know that it's true for some christians.
the basic tenet of christianity is two things. you can remove all the fluff and it boils down to these two things that Jesus taught:
1) love God with all your mind and strength and 2) love your neighbor as yourself

That's about it.
And it saddens me to read your words, but i know you speak from your heart.
but...know this. we are all not like that.
that's all i can honestly say about that.

i'm a christian, and i try ...(and i fail at times) to carry myself as a respector of persons. i really do.
and it deeply pains me to read this. because i know that it's true for some christians.
the basic tenet of christianity is two things. you can remove all the fluff and it boils down to these two things that Jesus taught:
1) love God with all your mind and strength and 2) love your neighbor as yourself

That's about it.

And it really does not belong in this thread. The subject is "Denial of Evolution".

Wegs, if as a Christian, you believe in the evolutionary process of life on earth, then your christianity is irrelevant.

OTOH, if you are a biblical fundamentalist, i.e. young earth Creationist, then the issue of belief becomes pertinent.

the placebo effect shouldn't happen at all, there is no reason for it other than the patient wanting to believe it will work.
the link you referred to does indeed claim placebo works in cases of depression.
the link stated it was erroneous to assume 80% was placebo related.
the link spells all of this out for you.

I think most of us have experienced a placebo effect. But I have to tell you it doesn't last very long and if your pain is bad enough it doesn't work at all.

And it really does not belong in this thread. The subject is "Denial of Evolution".

Wegs, if as a Christian, you believe in the evolutionary process of life on earth, then your christianity is irrelevant.

OTOH, if you are a biblical fundamentalist, i.e. young earth Creationist, then the issue of belief becomes pertinent.

respectfully, that's not true.
i can believe in evolution and also believe in a Creator.
why do you say this? :(

That's about it.

That's about as pure a distillation of Christian doctrine as we will see in these threads. I happen to agree with iceaura but I also agree with you. The main difference, I think, is that iceaura is referring to ones I referred to when I said I was putting a black dot on their foreheads, counting them and noticing they make up the vast majority (of fundamentalists). Black dots? OK we can go with goats - and the rest of you can be the sheep. That serves a better metaphor anyway since now it's only goats in wolves clothing, and the sheep are clean as a whistle. That also frees the sheep from being led to slaughter, an analogy I have drawn more than once. :p

I will say this. You all give me food for thought.
My 'relationship' with God is not a static one. I question. I learn. I question. I learn.
I'm human.

I want to say you have made me feel very welcome here.
For that, I thank you. :eek:

and you aqueous and fraggle, are my virtual professors.
always classy. always kind.
thank you. *tips hat*

lol @ goats in wolves clothing
and you are silly, too! :p

respectfully, that's not true.
i can believe in evolution and also believe in a Creator.
why do you say this? :(

No problem there, as long as you do not believe that this Creator made the heavens and the earth and all life on earth in 6 days, 6000 years ago. That has been debunked by science long ago.

I was asked once by a co-worker why there is such a discrepancy between the biblical account of 6 day Creation and the current science which shows Creation of this Universe happened in a single instant some 14 billion years ago, i.e. the Big Bang.

I asked her why she would assume that one of God's days is 24 hours long. I suggested that one of God's days might well be 2+ billion years and 6 days would translate into 14 billion years and creation is ongoing by means of evolution.

As you can see, I did not attack her belief in a Creator (Creative process), but tried to put the biblical account in perspective with how it really happened.
However, Fundamentalists are unwilling or unable to accept science and stubbornly insist on the account of Creation as told in the OT.
Aside from that we all believe in something. Personally I believe in Universal Potential, which I have already described.

As to moral messages in the bible? I can find moral messages from a host of scriptures and philosophies and they are by no means all listed in the bible.

I did try to respond to this but your private inbox is full, so I will post it here and hopefully clear this up to your satisfaction.

wegs said:
i'm saddened that you would address me in such a cold way out in the open forums like that. :(

you dont need to reply.
i just thought you should know, it hurt me to see that.
when all i have been is respectful to you and your views.

it's not you disagreeing with me views that is the issue. but to tell me 'this doesn't belong in this thread,' was hurtful. i was just sharing my views as everyone else was

no worries. for i thought you were my friend on here, but you're not. :(

take care.

Wegs, that was not addressed to you specifically. It was a general observation that we had strayed from the Topic of Denial of Evolution, which has nothing to do with you being a Christian and believing in a Creator.

Sorry, if you took it personally, that was not my intent.

You posted my private message to you here?

I am so embarrassed, why would u post that here?
:(

I hope the mods kindly remove that.

No worries. Pls carry on with the thread.

You posted my private message to you here?

I am so embarrassed, why would u post that here?
:(

I hope the mods kindly remove that.

No worries. Pls carry on with the thread.
Totally uncouth. And uncool. That was just wrong. Seriously...

Originally Posted by Randwolf
Prove what?
are you hesitating for some reason?
Yes, hesitating because RL called for a moment. Sorry.

So, rejoining, once again...

Prove what?

That you are a creationist hiding behind a shallow facade of skepticism? Takes no effort - it's very self-evident, throughout this entire thread. The very manner in which you avoid the direct question speaks volumes to all who are reading. You would like to pretend that you're being clever with your subterfuge but few are fooled.

To be a Christian, or follow any peaceful religion, is not an issue with me. I take issue with those that duck and hide like some great deceiver. Who do you think you are fooling leopold? Why can't you be upstanding like wegs? At least have the courage of your convictions. Don't scurry and hide like a cockroach.

If you disagree with the tone of this post... Well, stand up. Be a man. Answer the question.

Are you saying you don't believe god had anything to do with creation? More specifically, did god play a role in evolution?

*/ betting money on leopold ducking and dodging the question yet again /*

Totally uncouth. And uncool. That was just wrong. Seriously...

Yeah. I will let it go.
I didn't mean to bring "drama" into this thread everyone. :eek:
That's why I sent a pm. Lol

I'm just embarrassed, that's all.
Anyways. Carry on with your thread all.
I hope my opinions didn't offend; was never my intent.

Yeah. I will let it go.
I didn't mean to bring "drama" into this thread everyone. :eek:
That's why I sent a pm. Lol

I'm just embarrassed, that's all.
Anyways. Carry on with your thread all.
I hope my opinions didn't offend; was never my intent.
No offense taken here. You are very inquisitive and reasonable. The forum could do with many more like you. :)

As to the disclosure of PM's in public, that is definitely a breach of forum etiquette and quite probably of forum rules. (Haven't read them in a very long time)

Besides being totally uncouth. And uncool. What can you do though....

Carry on. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back