Denial of Evolution VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
again. I know what it is. but how does science explain this?
i don't have ready access to peer reviewed material so i don't know how, or even if, science explains it.
. . . I also believe in Divine Intervention.
i believe you would be hard pressed to offer an explanation for the reason "god" created everything.

Wait. Oral Roberts University isn't a spoof?

Wow. It's the sort of name that totally sounds like something someone would make up as comical source, and the article you quoted definitely sounded silly to me. I guess I better go read it again...
I guess it depends on your definition of "spoof". Sorry for the confusion there...

Here's the intro to their "College of Science and Engineering"

Exploring God's Creation from a Scientific Perspective

The ORU College of Science and Engineering encompasses four departments including Behavioral Science; Biology and Chemistry; Engineering, Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics; and Health Physical Education and Recreation. Through its own unique approach, each department gives you the opportunity to discover God's natural world and thereby enlarge your Christian worldview. Rarely will you find such an opportunity to receive a Christ-centered education in areas often considered difficult degree areas while surrounded by such cooperative, caring and intellectually inquisitive students and faculty.​

i believe you would be hard pressed to offer an explanation for the reason "god" created everything.
I don't want to offend wegs here, but I believe you (leopold) would be hard pressed to offer an explanation for the reason you think "god" created anything.

I don't want to offend wegs here, but I believe you (leopold) would be hard pressed to offer an explanation for the reason you think "god" created anything.
i'm not the one saying, or implying he, it, they, did.
can you show me where i have?

Lol you started quite the domino effect with your final comment right there .^^ :p

Question for you: why do you think that fundamentalists don't accept science?
They have to believe that science is the work of the devil. There might be a few ways to escape that conclusion, but if so that's probably not true fundamentalism.

By fundamentalist, I am assuming you mean Christian. Just for the record, I'm not a fundamentalist but why do you assume this? One can be Christian and still have a high regard for science. I just believe science had a Creator. Man merely discovers science.
No, you are not at all expressing the ideas of fundamentalism, nor do many other religious people that post here. And it can't be limited to Christian fundamentalists since we know there has been a global rebirth of Islamic fundamentalism after the Shah of Iran was deposed. In both of those groups are often often found staggering illiteracy, i.e., incompetency to evaluate what's best for society anyway. Among Jewish fundamentalists I think there tends to be a higher degree of literacy, and I'm not exactly sure how they deal with the conflict that would arise from such a contradiction. It's hard to see how the Eastern religions enter into this fray at all, but no doubt they have their fundamentalists as well.

I'm just curious and not looking to spar with you. I guess I ask because I wish there weren't all these divisions whether imaginary or real, between scientists and faith believers. :/
There has to be some normal amount of disagreement between religion and science, but I assure you, I wouldn't be on the soap box at all if I did not feel an overwhelming sense of danger posed by the intrusion of Christian fundamentalism (with all its trappings - racism, xenophobia, misogyny, homophobia and attacks on academia) into the political sphere, and the harm it is doing to vulnerable minds. If none of this had ever happened -- if no Klansman had ever associated himself with the Cross, or the supremacy of the Anglos as a justification that it's God's will (even going so far as to portray Jesus as blue-eyed. What a laugh. And in most of the better known films depicting Jesus, he and his followers are not only Anglos, but also given British accents); if no preacher had ever stood up and declared that Haiti (of all places) was punished by God with the earthquake (or New Orleans, a place of Catholic heritage, with the hurricane) and so forth -- if there had never been a Scopes "Monkey trial", or a law or court case challenging the teaching of evolution, or any of the countless attacks by fundamentalists on academia, science, and the pursuit of knowledge, social progress and liberty -- then you wouldn't be hearing a peep out of me . . . but then again this thread would not likely exist. Not in this forum. We'd just be in Biology, talking about the commonality of human DNA and yeast DNA, things like that.

But the researchers in the article, state it is misleading to attribute the results to the placebo effect.
There's other mitigating factors, in other words.

^^ this is for leopold.

here is another example of a non immune system placebo effect response:
Researchers have been able to demonstrate the placebo effect in action using brain scans. In one study, participants had a hot, painful piece of metal placed on their hand and then received either a pain-killing drug or a placebo injection. In both cases, the subject reported that the injection helped reduce the pain. The researchers used positron emission tomography (PET) scans to look at each person's brain and found that areas of the anterior cingulate cortex, the area of the brain that contains many opiate receptors, were activated in both the placebo and treatment groups.
http://psychology.about.com/od/pindex/f/placebo-effect.htm

according to the above quote this effect is centered in the brain, not the immune system.

But the researchers in the article, state it is misleading to attribute the results to the placebo effect.
There's other mitigating factors, in other words.

^^ this is for leopold.
the placebo effect shouldn't happen at all, there is no reason for it other than the patient wanting to believe it will work.
the link you reffered to does indeed claim placebo works in cases of depression.
the link stated it was erroneous to assume 80% was placebo related.
the link spells all of this out for you.

i believe antidepressants aren't immune system related...
You believe wrong...

Depression involves the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine:

Biology of Depression - Neurotransmitters
Depression has been linked to problems or imbalances in the brain with regard to the neurotransmitters serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. The evidence is somewhat indirect on these points because it is very difficult to actually measure the level of neurotransmitter in a person's brain. What we do know is that antidepressant medications (used to treat the symptoms of depression) are known to act upon these particular neurotransmitters and their receptors. We'll talk more about antidepressant medications in the treatment section of this article.​

Serotonin and dopamine are related to the immune system:

NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND IMMUNITY: 1. DOPAMINE

Role of serotonin in the immune system and in neuroimmune interactions.

Mössner R, Lesch KP.

Source
Department of Psychiatry, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany.

Abstract

Serotonin (5-HT) is one of the most extensively studied neurotransmitters of the central nervous system. 5-HT is, however, also present in a variety of peripheral tissues including in constituents of the immune system. The function of 5-HT in the immune system has received increasing attention since about 1984, but has been reviewed only once, in 1985. In recent years, modern techniques of molecular biology such as reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction and targeted gene disruption have made it possible to study new important aspects of 5-HT in the immune system. In the first part of the review, we explore whether 5-HT is involved in interactions between the central nervous and immune systems. It emerges that 5-HT may mediate interactions of these two systems by four different pathways.

A Dialogue between the Immune System and Brain, Spoken in the Language of Serotonin
Neuropsychiatric disorders have long been linked to both immune system activation and alterations in serotonin (5-HT) signaling.​

Immunoregulatory role of neurotransmitters.
Qiu Y, Peng Y, Wang J.

Source
Department of Physiology, Nantong Medical College, P. R. China.

Abstract
The nervous and endocrine systems modulate the immune system functions through releasing neurotransmitters, neuropeptides and endocrine hormones as they regulate the other physiological functions.​

Dopamine, a neurotransmitter, influences the immune system.
Basu S, Dasgupta PS.

Source
Department of Medical Oncology, Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Calcutta, India.

Abstract
Dopamine (DA) is a monoamine neurotransmitter of both central and peripheral nervous system. Its role in the neural-immune communication has been discussed in the present review. Results reveal that in vivo damage or stimulation of specific central dopaminergic system suppresses or enhances functional activities of the immune effector cells. The possible influences of other immunomodulators of the brain by altering brain DA may be the underlying mechanism. Direct effects of DA on the immune effector cells are also contradictory, it is suppressive in vitro, while in pharmacological doses, it is mostly stimulatory in vivo. The possible mechanisms have been discussed. Lastly, future areas of relevance on DA and immunity have been highlighted to advance our knowledge regarding DA as an immune regulator.​

What other parts leopold?

the placebo effect shouldn't happen at all, there is no reason for it other than the patient wanting to believe it will work.
the link you reffered to does indeed claim placebo works in cases of depression.
the link stated it was erroneous to assume 80% was placebo related.
the link spells all of this out for you.

I should have inserted the word "all" in my post above. My bad.
I understand the link.

Researchers have been able to demonstrate the placebo effect in action using brain scans. In one study, participants had a hot, painful piece of metal placed on their hand and then received either a pain-killing drug or a placebo injection. In both cases, the subject reported that the injection helped reduce the pain. The researchers used positron emission tomography (PET) scans to look at each person's brain and found that areas of the anterior cingulate cortex, the area of the brain that contains many opiate receptors, were activated in both the placebo and treatment groups.

according to the above quote this effect is centered in the brain, not the immune system.

The brain plays a part in the immune system leopold, especially regards opioid production. (duh)

Role Found for Natural Body Opioids in Reproduction and Resistance to Infection
Scientists have discovered that the body's natural opioid system is far more important and has broader effects than ever thought. In addition to being essential to responses to pain and the euphoria from drugs such as morphine, codeine, and heroin, the mu opioid receptor, the cellular target of these drugs, also appears to be involved in regulating the immune and reproductive systems.​

Next?

I guess it depends on your definition of "spoof". Sorry for the confusion there...

Here's the intro to their "College of Science and Engineering"

Exploring God's Creation from a Scientific Perspective

The ORU College of Science and Engineering encompasses four departments including Behavioral Science; Biology and Chemistry; Engineering, Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics; and Health Physical Education and Recreation. Through its own unique approach, each department gives you the opportunity to discover God's natural world and thereby enlarge your Christian worldview. Rarely will you find such an opportunity to receive a Christ-centered education in areas often considered difficult degree areas while surrounded by such cooperative, caring and intellectually inquisitive students and faculty.​

It wasn't your fault. In fact I've just realized it was mine. Earlier in this thread I posted a link to an article about "Intelligent Falling" on www.theonion.com which mentioned Oral Roberts University in the midst of total absurdity, and I guess that's where my association of it with satire began.

Originally Posted by Randwolf
i'm not the one saying, or implying he, it, they, did.
can you show me where i have?
Are you saying that you don't believe god had anything to do with creation?

That's a direct yes or no question there leopold. Enquiring minds want to know your answer...

You touch on two of the most remarkable aspects of animals - the brain and the immune system. We tend to associate the brain purely with synaptic activity -- which we inherited from jellies (or a common ancestor anyway) [nerves] and worms [ganglia], but it's often overlooked that there is a parallel path the brain employs which is purely by chemical signaling - principally hormones (leading to a possible link with a common ancestor to insects, which owe their metamorphosis to hormones). Hormones are also crucial in producing the proper body plan that corresponds to the HOX gene, during the early stages of embryonic development. And the immune system can be thought of as nearly entirely implemented through chemical signaling. But clearly the "electrical" and chemical manifestations of brain activity are connected--it's an integrated system.

The way the defense response works in regard to thoughts, feelings, behaviors and the "hard data" coming in through the sense organs is complex even if we reduce this to the way it's seen in primitive animals. The colorful displays of the octopus - which we would associate with our own "red in the face" anger, or profuse sweating, dry mouth or trembling, the way a cornered dog may remind us of a cornered person, certainly that glare - these behaviors and the autonomic responses - the dilation of the eyes - the automatic tensing of muscles and assumption of a stance - the ability to enter a hyper-alert state -- the kinds of things soldiers and prison convicts report - are also markers for stress that can leave long term alterations in the persona - such as PTSD. Similarly, the triggers for PTSD can restart these latent responses.

It stands to reason that the immune system is an indicator of stress--although more commonly physical stress, the emotional aspect does come into play. By the same token, the conditions of sheer emotional distress can trigger changes in immune response. Think of how it is possible that an animal can be suddenly caused to empty its bladder, stomach and/or bowels in order to prepare to run or stand ground. This kind of chemical signaling is more closely related with the immune response than synaptic processes, at least to this degree. Think of the rising of the bile just before a madman starts a killing rampage.

My point is to keep in mind that all of the changes that trigger these chemical responses, provided they are rooted in emotion, arise first in the brain, partly as synaptic activity, and in part by the brain's release of chemical messengers into the bloodstream. It's a system. It all plays together, thanks to our distant and remote kin, the hydra and jellies, the worms, the bugs . . . and "everything that creepeth the earth".

I mention this as further evidence of "macroevolution" as the term has been applied to connect humans with far distant species long gone. It almost stands to reason that some of the most basic ways that an organism can protect itself from another would find its "trait creation" in the most primitive of animals.

whatever it is associated with, the placebo effect is effective because the patient believes, or has faith, it will work.
there is no denying that.
do you agree with that assessment?

The ORU College of Science and Engineering encompasses four departments including Behavioral Science; Biology and Chemistry; Engineering, Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics; and Health Physical Education and Recreation. Through its own unique approach, each department gives you the opportunity to discover God's natural world and thereby enlarge your Christian worldview. Rarely will you find such an opportunity to receive a Christ-centered education in areas often considered difficult degree areas while surrounded by such cooperative, caring and intellectually inquisitive students and faculty.

Talk about walking a thin line. I'm waiting for Lisa Simpson to discover she's been admitted to ORU thanks to recommendations she got from Ned Flanders and Rev. Lovejoy. Then to the horror of all of the righteous, she proceeds to prove that the high potential for tornadoes in Tulsa can, by action of appropriate tenets of science and fundamentalism, converge to the conclusion that God really wants them to get over it, move on, and let people begin to think for themselves. Might work, provided they could make it actually funny. Which is pretty easy to do, since Lisa seems to be the only person who hasn't completely lost her marbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back