Deities do or do not exist?

Choose the one that most closely corresponds to your beliefs

• Total voters
Originally Posted by Jan Ardena
I cannot see how it is possible to live life as an agnostic

Does it matter to how you live if I can't see how it is possible to live life as a theist???

SAM:

Is there more than one definition of agnostic?

I don't think so, but then I would have said that there couldn't be an athiest who thought a deity might or did exist, but according to the poll, there are!

Someone tells you there is a person behind a wall. You believe it.
That same someone tells you the person is wearing a hat. You don't believe it.
How logical is that ?

I don't disagree. I'm just saying it is reasonable to assume that there could be a person there because people in general exist. But we haven't established there is any such class as gods at all.

Could you please comment on my illustration in post 46 ? It seems to go unnoticed.

I feel that while the theist is wrong, it's implied he is still within the realm of possibility. There are in fact fingers and there is a number of them up. To be more accurate his answer should be "Nerg."

You prefer the stone age living standards then, right?

Like modern times are a harbor of safety, purity and well-being for everyone.

How many people lose their jobs every day, with little or no chance to find employment again?
How affordable and available is medical care?
How much oil and other resources are there left?
Need I remind you of these things?

So what is the ideal then, according to you? To be without any biases, values and preferences, but instead make logical, neutral, objective decisions?

Sounds like a good start.

Really? If you are a robot perhaps.

I feel that while the theist is wrong, it's implied he is still within the realm of possibility. There are in fact fingers and there is a number of them up.
Don't you think the atheist knows that ?
The theist is trying to convince the atheist of something neither can possibly know.
Does this mean that the atheist believes that the number of fingers the other dude is holding up is not three ? No!
The atheist simply does not believe the theist's claim, that the other dude is holding up three fingers, because the theist cannot possibly know.

Image:
ATheist.jpg

Last edited:
signal,

Like modern times are a harbor of safety, purity and well-being for everyone.

How many people lose their jobs every day, with little or no chance to find employment again?
How affordable and available is medical care?
How much oil and other resources are there left?
Need I remind you of these things?
It is good that we can live long enough to experience these things. In stone age times you would be very lucky to live beyond the age of 20 and where disease was rampant and hygeine non-existent.

Whichever way you cut it - modern life is overwhelming luxurious and safer than that of thousands of years ago.

“ “ So what is the ideal then, according to you? To be without any biases, values and preferences, but instead make logical, neutral, objective decisions? ”

Sounds like a good start. ”

Really? If you are a robot perhaps.
So why would you prefer the alternatives; biases, discriminations, injustice, and illogic?

Being rational, logical, and fair does not eliminate or reduce our humanity, emotions, and feelings, and in no way makes us robots.

I don't think so, but then I would have said that there couldn't be an athiest who thought a deity might or did exist, but according to the poll, there are!

That's because they do not believe that deities do not exist.

Does it matter to how you live if I can't see how it is possible to live life as a theist???

The thing is, you can see how it is possible, because people do
live their lives as theists.
How can you live your actual day to day life as an agnostic?
Outside of debate, and discussion, how does agnosticism manifest itself
in action?

jan.

Atheists are tormented by the theist position, they feel religion interferes in their life,
and it doesnt??
your Islam fanatics would love to KILL all of us if you could.
as your HATRED shows in every post you make
they want to oppose and eliminate and challenge the theist position.
projecting much SAM?
isnt it YOU who is tormented by atheists and their logic,reason.
They believe "THERE ARE NO GODS".
no they dont believe,
we KNOW god doesnt exist,its too contradictory to be real
as far as all the other gods go,
who knows,do you think they exist?
www.godchecker.com

and it doesnt??
your Islam fanatics would love to KILL all of us if you could.
as your HATRED shows in every post you make

projecting much SAM?
isnt it YOU who is tormented by atheists and their logic,reason.

no they dont believe,
we KNOW god doesnt exist,its too contradictory to be real
as far as all the other gods go,
www.godchecker.com

Irony thy name is scorpius. :rolleyes:

Perhaps he didn't phrase it in the best way possible, but is there a chance you could answer his question?

Smiley faces are not applicable.

Which one? This?

There have been prophets in all times for all people. Its all the same God, understood differently at different times.

Which one? This?

There have been prophets in all times for all people. Its all the same God, understood differently at different times.

Sam, could you comment on my explanation of that picture I posted (post 186) ?

There is no such thing as an agnostic theist. An agnostic is simply one who claims that the existence of God is unknowable. It is impossible for an agnostic to be a theist. One who claims that God exists. If you claim that the existence of God is unknowable, you cannot claim that God exists.

To claim that an agnostic theists is one who claims God exists, but then claims there is no evidence for their claim has no bearing on actual terminology.

It is good that we can live long enough to experience these things.

Why would that be good?

Killed by a bear at the age of 20 back then, or killed by a gang at the age of 20 or 50 nowadays - what's the difference?

Whichever way you cut it - modern life is overwhelming luxurious and safer than that of thousands of years ago.

It's not clear how this is so.

So why would you prefer the alternatives; biases, discriminations, injustice, and illogic?

Because "biases, discriminations, injustice, and illogic" as you call them actually give a chance to people finding true happiness.

Sticking to "rationality", "logic", "impartiality" eventually makes decision-making and acting impossible.

Being rational, logical, and fair does not eliminate or reduce our humanity, emotions, and feelings, and in no way makes us robots.

How does it not do so?

Back