Decapitation is a sacred Islamic practice.

DaveWhite04

DaveWhite04 said:
Do you think the men or women who decide what to pay their employees are actually women hating Christians? I think the problems you have outlined are not by any stretch of the imagination exclusive to Christianity and labelling it as a sacred Christian practice seems over the top and bias.

I'm generally surprised at a general phenomenon I don't know how to account for.

Do people understand the idea of a prevailing or predominant ideology?

In this case, we might start with the "bluebloods," or "WASPs." Old Anglo-Saxon wealth with many ties to both social and economic conservatism. We might also consider Max Weber's controversial classic, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.

Your question relies on too overt a connection. This is something deeply seeded in the collective American conscience. One need not be Christian in the US in order to have values derived from the American Judeo-Christian experience dominate their personal outlook.

On a similar note . . .

Path

Path said:
Tiassa you are aware that the US has the highest number of female entrepreneurs of any country in the world right?

And?

Or, to be a little more specific:

• There's not enough of them to offset the difference in pay. Things aren't getting much better. Infoplease offers a statistical table.
• Additionally, can anyone show--and this is not rhetoric, but a serious question--that female entrepreneurs pay women more, less, or the same as their male counterparts? (e.g. "Equal pay for equal work.")
• That idea interests me because I reiterate my tale told above, and it seems that "just under 16%" is a rosy recollection. Nonetheless, it was not equal work. She, who made just under 16% less than I did, had a job that was more demanding and, technically of higher rank than mine. And she had seniority over me, although I'm not sure that was a factor with that company. So in reality, she was making even less than the "84%" I recall.

That women have it better than they used to doesn't mean we've gotten it right in this country.

altec said:
Do you think that you should maybe get some muslim insight into this issue?
they may deny, but there is a tradition in islam called "al-taqiyya" (outwit), that allows muslims to lie, if islam is advanced. see the first time it was used agaist calif Ali, its a hoot!
check that out in the web, like so:

http://hauns.com/~DCQu4E5g/koran5.html
Al-taqiyya and dissimulation are words used for a practice of Muslims blatantly lying to non-Muslims. All but some of the most fundamental Muslims consider the act of Al-taqiyya or lying to non-Muslims to be a good work. This is very important when one remembers that, in Islam, salvation is determined by good works. This means that a Muslim lying to a non-Muslim is that Muslim doing a good work to earn salvation. It is almost equivalent to a Christian accepting Jesus as his savior.

I bet if you do a little research, you will find that most of the radical islamic groups are actually mis-interpreting parts of the qu'ran, and taking it out of context.
ok, what if you do the same? what would you discover? that it was true? that, shucks, the sword & stone go together like bread & butter?

http://mailman.io.com/pipermail/freemanlist/2003-August/000817.html
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/001606.php
http://www.ishr.org/activities/campaigns/stoning/adultery.htm

When you are dealing with a completely different culture, I think that it's a safe bet to not trust the New York Times.
or the quran? ok, do you trust the NY Times for anything? what do you trust? & can we trust you? :confused:

surenderer said:

Well his Ph.D isnt in Islamic studies but its in medicine. Now I may be an annonymous poster however I AM a muslim which means I "walk the walk and talk the talk". As you saw from my post before he didnt e
ven quote the Koran right. I am sure I know more about Islam than your Doctor.....peace
funny, how if the person was saying something nice about islam, the PhD's & MD's would be trumpeted, BIG & LOUD.

& yes, you are anonymous, we don't even know if you are muslim, you could be a troll, just stirring up trouble. & that 'al-taqiyya" thing really bothers me, how do I know if you will ever tell the truth? hmmm? :confused:

read:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=38049

tiassa said:
Fallacious, I think. Whatever people's opinions

It's analogous to saying that we shouldn't take a wounded person to the hospital in an ambulance because PM, driving the ambulance last time, swerved on a curve and smashed into a tree.

So only if we pretend that we are every one of us whatever person we dislike the most at Sciforums does it make any sense to throw out the comparative examination.

Which is why it seems so fallacious an idea to me.

First, a question that seems an aside, but does come into play: Why do we treat issues in the Muslim world as purely religious--are Muslims exempt from human foibles like, oh, politics?

The reason I ask is because while you ask about the political struggle, you don't seem to be accounting for its effects. Tyrants of all varieties come to power and purge the clerics, the intellectuals, and the artists.

There is a theory afloat, and one that is reasonable

I'm stopping here. I owe a few words to others, as well.

As you can tell, there are a couple of things that obviously aren't making much sense to me, but hopefully we'll get that all figured out.

Note: There have been, already, several small edits to the original post; I apologize for any confusion that might bring about. It is, unfortunately, a sad result of the number of necessary and unnecessary interruptions to the composition process occurring throughout.
Tiassa, I think you have invented a new logical fallacy & I just named it:
Argumentum ad nauseam verbosium: This is the incorrect belief that an assertion is more likely to be true, or is more likely to be accepted as true, the more words that are used. So an Argumentum ad Nauseam verbosium is one that employs constant repetition of random thoughts, tangents and/or logical statements in asserting something; saying the same thing over and over again until you can't read anymore.

In otherwords, where you "word" people to death with your verbosity.

Ok I'll get to the point, can you get to the point in fewer words? Or are you writing a book in stream-of-conscienceness every time you answer?

it can be also be called Argumentum ad tiassium for short;
peace, love :)

check here if I'm right:
http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html

Snip Tocket

SnipTocket said:
By the way, if I commit a crime and as my defense I just cite incidents where others have committed crimes, do I get pardoned?

I'm an American. In this country, yes you can. If that other person got away with it, you can be acquitted if you play your cards right.

However, to set aside that technicality and look at the general principle of your question, I don't think "pardon" is the issue. It's a matter of the maggot calling the grub ugly.

Essentially, we're faulting Muslims for being human where such human faults have been accepted in other ways when other people are at fault. Think of it this way for a moment--With the U.S. supporting Israel against Muslims; with the U.S. tampering with Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq among others; with the US politicking for oil all over the place; and with Muslims living in poverty or tyranny that can in some reasonable and factual way be connected to the benefits of American luxury ... George W. Bush wonders "why do they hate us"?

I would also refer you at this point to a segment of my most recent response to Everneo, which starts with the phrase, "First, a question that seems an aside . . . ," and ends with, ". . . as well as a stronger and more complex foundation."

Citing incidents where others have committed the crimes is a reasonable enough way to ask one of the guilty, "Why do you give a f@ck? Why do you think that you get a say?" It's a challenge to the moral authority to judge and respond.

To take a note from, say, Kashmir ... within the Hindu castes there was last week a curious and morbid incident in which members of a higher caste, in revenge for their daughter's marriage to a lower-caste groom, attacked the family of the new husband and gang-raped the women. Now ... if these folks are willing to gang-rape old women, I think it's fair to challenge their moral authority to give a flying f@ck who their daughter marries. Admittedly, something so seemingly perverse as the caste system screws up the consideration some, but you're a smart guy, right?

Is the intent of your comparative approach and sourceless claims

In deference to your note, I do apologize that I failed to consider your unfamiliarity with the Bible. My bad. So to take care of that part:

Book? Verse?

Blaming Eve: Note that in Genesis 2 that God first commanded Adam regarding the tree, and then created Eve (v. 16-ff). In chapter 3, as the serpent tempts the woman, and while there is considerable debate about whether God lied--for certainly the serpent did not (v. 1-5). Note that Eve has somehow been filled in on the rules of the Garden (v. 2-3). The Bible certainly does not indicate that God told her directly, but this isn't nearly as important as what Adam said when God found out: Adam blames Eve, then Eve blames the serpent (v. 12-13). Now ... fast-forward and check in on 1 Timothy, chapter 2:

Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty.

(1 Timothy 2.11-15, RSV)

I don't know about you, but I'd call that blaming Eve. I mean, really ... God is rather upset at Adam for ... well--

"Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, `You shall not eat of it,' cursed is the ground because of you; in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life thorns and thistles it shall bring forth to you; you shall eat the plants of the field.

(Genesis 2.17-18)

Really ... what did the idea of listening to the wife have to do with anything? Would the punishment have been greater, lesser, or the same if Adam had just eaten of the tree, or if he had been deceived directly by the Serpent?

But, yes--"Blaming Eve."

Poison your wife: There's always the Book of Numbers, chapter 5.

"Say to the people of Israel, If any man's wife goes astray and acts unfaithfully against him, if a man lies with her carnally, and it is hidden from the eyes of her husband, and she is undetected though she has defiled herself, and there is no witness against her, since she was not taken in the act; and if the spirit of jealousy comes upon him, and he is jealous of his wife who has defiled herself; or if the spirit of jealousy comes upon him, and he is jealous of his wife, though she has not defiled herself; then the man shall bring his wife to the priest, and bring the offering required of her, a tenth of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it and put no frankincense on it, for it is a cereal offering of jealousy, a cereal offering of remembrance, bringing iniquity to remembrance. "And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the LORD; and the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel, and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tabernacle and put it into the water. And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD, and unbind the hair of the woman's head, and place in her hands the cereal offering of remembrance, which is the cereal offering of jealousy. And in his hand the priest shall have the water of bitterness that brings the curse. Then the priest shall make her take an oath, saying, `If no man has lain with you, and if you have not turned aside to uncleanness, while you were under your husband's authority, be free from this water of bitterness that brings the curse. But if you have gone astray, though you are under your husband's authority, and if you have defiled yourself, and some man other than your husband has lain with you, then' (let the priest make the woman take the oath of the curse, and say to the woman) `the LORD make you an execration and an oath among your people, when the LORD makes your thigh fall away and your body swell; may this water that brings the curse pass into your bowels and make your body swell and your thigh fall away.' And the woman shall say, `Amen, Amen.' "Then the priest shall write these curses in a book, and wash them off into the water of bitterness; and he shall make the woman drink the water of bitterness that brings the curse, and the water that brings the curse shall enter into her and cause bitter pain. And the priest shall take the cereal offering of jealousy out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the cereal offering before the LORD and bring it to the altar; and the priest shall take a handful of the cereal offering, as its memorial portion, and burn it upon the altar, and afterward shall make the woman drink the water. And when he has made her drink the water, then, if she has defiled herself and has acted unfaithfully against her husband, the water that brings the curse shall enter into her and cause bitter pain, and her body shall swell, and her thigh shall fall away, and the woman shall become an execration among her people. But if the woman has not defiled herself and is clean, then she shall be free and shall conceive children. "This is the law in cases of jealousy, when a wife, though under her husband's authority, goes astray and defiles herself, or when the spirit of jealousy comes upon a man and he is jealous of his wife; then he shall set the woman before the LORD, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law. The man shall be free from iniquity, but the woman shall bear her iniquity."

(Numbers 5.12-31, RSV)

I personally find it savage, but we're not finished yet. There is still more to consider.

Give your daughters over to rape: It's in Genesis, chapter 19. The men of Sodom wish to have carnal knowledge with three men from out of town (v. 4-5). Lot appeals to the gang to not partake in such wickedness (v. 7), and then offers his daughters instead (v.8). While the men are actually sent to destroy Sodom, Abraham had pleaded with God for Sodom on behalf of his nephew and God agreed to spare the city if ten righteous people could be found (Gen. 18.17-33). Nowhere does God promise anything directly about Lot, although in the end, Lot is spared the fate of Sodom and Gammorah (Gen. 19.12-23).

Women keep silent: See aforementioned passage from 1 Timothy, chapter 2, regarding "Blaming Eve." You know, the couple of sentences that read, " Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent" (v.11-12).

To now return to your question:

Snip Tocket said:
Is the intent of your comparative approach and sourceless claims to demean the radical preachings cited in the Qu'ran that are still today practiced by radicals themselves?

In the long run a comparative context is required to establish the magnitude of the lesson we're supposed to learn, the condemnation it implies, or the severity of repugnance we're supposed to feel at human beings.

I'm still curious, Snip, what your take on the lesson is. That's why I asked. Disallowing any comparative context, it's helpful if you give us your preferred starting point then.

They have a term for that; it's called avoiding the argument/point.

What point am I avoiding? You haven't really specified. That's why I asked: "And what should we learn from this article?"

I've got Everneo's take on it, but you haven't given anyone a point to address or avoid.

Isn't the topic of this thread to focus on the sacred practice of beheading by Muslims?

What sacred practice of beheading by Muslims?

So where does your rant about injustices to women fit in?

I would invite you to actually read the topic that has come up in the wake of your less-than-specific topic post. And after you realize that part of this is the discussion of comparative contexts that you're not ready for, you can go back to waiting for someone to guess correctly what it was you were referring to in the topic post.

Remember that question I asked? "And what should we learn from this article?"

Reference Link:

• The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version: see http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html

tiassa said:
And?

Or, to be a little more specific:

• There's not enough of them to offset the difference in pay. Things aren't getting much better. Infoplease offers a statistical table.
• Additionally, can anyone show--and this is not rhetoric, but a serious question--that female entrepreneurs pay women more, less, or the same as their male counterparts? (e.g. "Equal pay for equal work.")
• That idea interests me because I reiterate my tale told above, and it seems that "just under 16%" is a rosy recollection. Nonetheless, it was not equal work. She, who made just under 16% less than I did, had a job that was more demanding and, technically of higher rank than mine. And she had seniority over me, although I'm not sure that was a factor with that company. So in reality, she was making even less than the "84%" I recall.

That women have it better than they used to doesn't mean we've gotten it right in this country.

No but it means the US has come further than any other country in the world and while I am sure examples of misogyny can be found on a local level the trend in the US is obviously in the opposite direction.
The payscale is higher for women in the states than in scandinavia also but there is still room for improvement. My sister found out that she was getting less while doing more than 2 of her male colleagues and had to raise hell but she did manage to get parity. I think part of the impetus behind the increase in female entrepreneurship is women getting fed up of waiting for a male boss to give them equal treatment, and as a result they start their own company where they are in charge of the pay.

tiassa said:
DaveWhite04

I'm generally surprised at a general phenomenon I don't know how to account for.

Do people understand the idea of a prevailing or predominant ideology?

In this case, we might start with the "bluebloods," or "WASPs." Old Anglo-Saxon wealth with many ties to both social and economic conservatism. We might also consider Max Weber's controversial classic, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.

Your question relies on too overt a connection. This is something deeply seeded in the collective American conscience. One need not be Christian in the US in order to have values derived from the American Judeo-Christian experience dominate their personal outlook.

Tiassa:

Well thanks for this. Would you say that misogyny is exclusive to Christianity?

Dave

Randolfo said:
funny, how if the person was saying something nice about islam, the PhD's & MD's would be trumpeted, BIG & LOUD.

& yes, you are anonymous, we don't even know if you are muslim, you could be a troll, just stirring up trouble. & that 'al-taqiyya" thing really bothers me, how do I know if you will ever tell the truth? hmmm? :confused:

read:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=38049

Funny how you have never seen me quote anyone besides the Prophet(pbuh) as an expert on the Koran or Islam. As far as you know I could have an Ph.D so dont try your below the belt insults on me as far as al-taqiyya 99% of muslims stay away from it because God tells us that"the way as been made clear for you, you know what to do and you know what not to do, and if something is unclear then avoid it also" i think usually nobody answers your threads because most here feel like you dont show respect so you dont deserve any. Me personally I talk to my dogs so why not you :)

Randolfo said:
they may deny, but there is a tradition in islam called "al-taqiyya" (outwit), that allows muslims to lie, if islam is advanced. see the first time it was used agaist calif Ali, its a hoot!

The idea of salvation gives Christians the full regin to lie, cheat, steal, murder, rape, and do whatever they damn well please as long as they ae saved. Right?

Randolfo said:
ok, what if you do the same? what would you discover? that it was true? that, shucks, the sword & stone go together like bread & butter?

http://mailman.io.com/pipermail/freemanlist/2003-August/000817.html
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/001606.php
http://www.ishr.org/activities/campaigns/stoning/adultery.htm

And how about the New Testament Scriptures that say that people should be put to death for wotking on the Sabbath, put their wives up for sale as slaves, and other acts that most would consider pretty haneous? Do you know the context of the verses? Do you want to know, or do you just want to bash Islam because it makes Jesus look nice?

Randolfo said:
or the quran? ok, do you trust the NY Times for anything? what do you trust? & can we trust you? :confused:

I trust non-bias sources. Therefore I do not trust something that has an obvios political agenda behind their writing. Trust me if you like. I certainly do not claim to know everything as you do, but I try to take these attacks on other religions and put them in a new light. Do you really not understand why tthe New York Times and other such pieces of writing would want the muslims and the islamic world to look bad?

Last edited:
Tiassa,

It took quite a time to go through your post. It was not possible in one sitting. Let me address your points as short as possible.

tiassa said:
Fallacious, I think. Whatever people's opinions of Proud Muslim, I find it quite ironic the degree to which he is still affecting Sciforums. I find that in order to agree with the above paragraph of yours, I must presume that all cross-cultural comparisons have as their greatest potential the fizzling effect that occurred whenever PM questioned the basis for prejudice or judgment. In the end, I cannot pretend that all people perceive the issues as simplistically as the issues PM responded to, nor as simplistically as many of his responses to those issues.

It's analogous to saying that we shouldn't take a wounded person to the hospital in an ambulance because PM, driving the ambulance last time, swerved on a curve and smashed into a tree.

So only if we pretend that we are every one of us whatever person we dislike the most at Sciforums does it make any sense to throw out the comparative examination.

Which is why it seems so fallacious an idea to me.

In christian-muslim debates, comparative mud-slinging is expected one.
If non-christians, agnostics & atheists ask questions they least expect any comparative examination involving bible or christianity to start the discussion.

See ... I didn't have any problems asking him tough questions. He gave some decent answers on occasion and could also be seen by his answer to retreat into reconsideration of certain points.

And it's part of a trend I've long decried among American discourse; the idea being that Americans are never happy. In 1988, Dukakis was mistrusted by the people because he was too calm, too dispassionate to be accessible as president. In 2004, Howard Dean met his political end because he showed passion. In the middle we get uncreative, prepackaged dreck like Gush/Bore and Berry/Kush. (That latter sounds like dope.)

In the War on Terror, a similar pattern has emerged. Islamic values are often considered so foreign to Americans that the inaccessibility of discourse frightens people. At the same time, among the complaints about Zacarias Moussouai's ramblings in court, as well as Osama bin Laden's words when addressing the West, is the idea that these people are "too Western." This isn't a problem for Americans unless they want it to be. In the end, someone who attempts to speak the common language of the people is mistrusted for not being genuinely scary enough for being inaccessible. I mean, after all else, I would think people would be capable of understanding that when Osama spoke to Muslims, he spoke in terms he thinks they will understand, and when he spoke to the West, he used terms intended to be accessible to us; after all, what would be the point of threatening us if we didn't understand that we were being threatened? (That, incidentally, is something the Spaniards used to be really good at.)

PM's habit as you've described it wasn't much different from right-wing radio or television. Calling people Jews and Christians despite other identity politics? I'm very surprised and even a little disappointed that so many people around here were incapable of understanding that. It's no different what PM was doing calling an American atheist a Christian or Jew than what we in the US do when we call a mass-murderer an "Islamist." It's like "Christian America" is good enough for folks who are pushing against homosexuality or abortion or free speech, but not when a Muslim points out the faults of that heritage.

The real problem seemed to be that for some reason or another, people chose to be thoroughly irrational and unsympathetic to their fellow human beings. What I mean by this is a general political truism. Two people can make express themselves identically incorrectly, and if one is on "our side" and one is on "the other side," that group of "we" generally tends to lend its sympathies to the person "we" identify with, and lends scorn toward "our" opposition.

I mean, look at you and me, for instance ... I'm making the argument that the topic poster is doing the same thing that you find unreasonable. That's the point. The topic poster is not prepared to undertake some aspect of the comparative. Whether that's a general and prejudicial fear that we're all of us as stupid as some imagine PM to be or ... um ... well, whatever ... I object to suspending the comparative from the discussion as it leaves relatively nothing to discuss but what key the hallelujah chorus will sing in. What, does the first person to post narrow or unreasonable content in an argument get a free pass?

None could impose that there should not be any comparative discussion, including the topic poster. Didn't you post sh@t about bible in this thread in line with the topic posters prediction ? But, again, it is not answering-christians or something. Atheists, for example, would not be deterred by any comparision.
Thus, in a discussion lacking any aspect of the comparative as per the topic poster's request, the only aspects apparently available for discussion are either a hallelujah chorus or hair-splitting.

I am, for example, not interested in either hellelujah chorus or biblical precedences. Just answers, if not ready call me islamaphobe, i will go away calling nuts.

But you're right. The West is blameless isn't it? Muslims did it all to themselves, and all the West ever did was reap the fruits. It's not like, oh, say, the American government, endorsed by its people, went forward and supported the overthrow of elected leaders in the Muslim world, or prop up dictators who victimized their own people--e.g. aided and abetted the unscrupulous elements you note--or supported the displacement of large groups of people for reasons that don't stand up to the test of time. It's not like the US ever did any of those things, eh? The Iranian people only elected Mossadegh because they didn't actually want him and preferred being victimized by the Shah--thank you so much for reminding me of what I'd forgotten. And those Iraqis. They never stood up to take on their leader only to find promises of support evaporating and the government specifically allowed by an American general to fly the helicopters that would cut down thousands and quash that uprising. It's not like the US took Saddam Hussein's Iraq off the terror-sponsor list in 1982 in order to provide it with some of the very goodies which the Iraqi people so eloquently begged their unscrupulous leader to deploy against them. Indeed, I had forgotten about that. Thank you so much for schooling me in matters of reality! And what can I say about those poor f@cking Palestinians? They never should have invited the Jews to come and beat the holy living f@ck out of them. They have no right to complain! How stupid I've been to forget all this, Everneo. Because you've so clearly reminded me that the only bad people in the world are Muslims.
gee.. thanks. But i did not say that the west is blameless. Just wanted to indicate how the muslims are exposed to western manipulations and their historical vulnerability to manipulations by their own ; the culprits could be found within muslim community, even when no western country was around to play.

But please don't pretend the Muslims were alone in creating their misery.

I would rather ask you not to pretend muslims are granted to err.

And I'm curious about your treatment of "unbalanced"--what is the nature of that imbalance? At present, my confusion between those issues forestalls any response.

You responded already, Tiassa. I am glad it forestalled or saved another half page.

First, a question that seems an aside, but does come into play: Why do we treat issues in the Muslim world as purely religious--are Muslims exempt from human foibles like, oh, politics?

Most of your take on muslims exclude Islam, it seems. No major religion had influence on its adherents in everyway,including politics, of life than Islam. The degree may vary on inividuals and groups.

Lacking the same conditions, the same foundation, how can we possibly expect a people to respond to stimuli according to our standards?

There were times in history when islamic world produced better talents as per our standards. To check-out where & how they lost out needs a self-criticism that you seem to consider unfair.

I reiterate that it's tougher to do when you've got neighbors who are perfectly willing to turn your backyard into a rubbish tip whether you want it or not.
If i am firm that my backyard should be clean, i will take on anyone who dares to dump in my backyard.

I'm wondering, as an American, about my own community backyard. Instead of fighting a War on Terror, we should be waging a jihad against our own corruption and spiritual malaise.

I agree, you yankees have to look at your system before dropping tonnes of bombs and indulging in subversive activities around the world.

If we revisit the part of the article you cited, and set aside my concerns about Frontpage's definition of a frank discussion, I'm still left with the idea that we cannot have a frank discussion of the issue if we start from a presupposition that decapitations are "sacred" in Islam. Especially if we set the condition, as the topic poster has, that comparative contexts are taboo.

Suppose if an atheist started this topic not willing to hear anymore comparision with sh@t in other religions that he himself would have questioned and ridiculed seperately plenty of times, would you still insist on comparision ?!

Everneo said:
In christian-muslim debates, comparative mud-slinging is expected one.
If non-christians, agnostics & atheists ask questions they least expect any comparative examination involving bible or christianity to start the discussion.

At some point, we need to look at the question, or the issue at hand.

And I'm not even reaching to the metaphysical and nihilistic wall of why decapitation is bad.

If I question, as I do, the assertion that decapitation is "sacred," how can I demonstrate that context other than saying, "No it's not," while someone else says, "Yes it is"?

Well, we look at what it's worth in history, and at that point, comparisons become necessary, because Muslims don't exist in a vacuum, nor have they ever.

So it depends on the question. The label of the questioner is only important if the question is insufficient to communicate itself, and one must seek other keys to interpreting its need.

None could impose that there should not be any comparative discussion, including the topic poster.

And yet the topic poster requests it. We've obviously had our own discussion, but it's not the topic poster's discussion we're having.

Didn't you post sh@t about bible in this thread in line with the topic posters prediction ?

Not quite. And not just for the detail you mentioned. Specifically, I was responding to you, and discussing the reasons why those comparisons are important. Had Snip given an answer, I would have been able to choose whether or not to invoke that part of the discussion there. Perhaps Snip would have provided an avenue of discussion not mentioned in the scant topic post that would take us away from such issues. Perhaps that lesson, to Snip, was more obscure than the last two sentences of the article.

When you wrote to Surenderer, How it is mis-interpreted to suit a few, then, you pretty much summed up a major problem. There's a difference between that and the topic article. However, without a comparative context, the counterpoint becomes a mere exercise in the "minimization" of a functional tragedy.

In fact, if you read the article and click on a link that appears in the text near the end, you'll find a page excerpting another website. For whatever reasons, Frontpage was apparently unable to either provide or direct us to the original article, and so they excerpted it. And they even excerpted it, quite accidentally, I'm sure, to their own detriment. What that excerpt suggests is that a finely-educated mind, a college professor (of medicine, but who's counting?) can't read critically. Reading the excerpt also suggests that dealing with the terrorists isn't enough for the article author, and that we must necessarily make this about all Islam.

Especially at that point, the comparative becomes important. Because what the article proposes, in effect, is that Muslims owe a specific examination of the relation between cultural processes both obscure and apparent that mutate interpretations of an idea that other cultures are somehow exempted from. The exemption is implicit, though, inasmuch as the author names a number of political conflicts in countries where we cannot isolate Islam as either the only participant or the underlying cause. Economic issues tend to underpin all wars, and religions are just warped to suit the occasion. This, however, becomes a self-referencing issue, a loop of sorts that plays on the relationships and associations that come with "arriving" (e.g. being born) in media res. In the modern day, the actual causes of strife are long-sublimated, and the superficial is the rallying banner. Muslims are human beings. Given identical opportunity to Americans, they will conduct themselves at least as well and at least as poorly. Indonesia, the Philippines, and Nigeria are some of the places mentioned in the article where identity politics and economic/resource conflicts mingle to a deadly rhythm, and the author would pretend that the issue is and always has been Islam.

Even I drip with sarcasm over any given event: "Oooh, so they only massacred fifty people and not five hundred. Brilliant!" I won't directly minimize the decapitations or injustices of history, but neither will I compound injustice by exaggerating something so vital to the underlying article. While exaggeration is par for the course in the political arena, one must show considerably greater caution when scrutinizing the underlying themes.

To dip squarely into the comparative:

• In the Bible (1 Samuel, ch. 15) God repents of his action: specifically, his act of making Saul king. Why does God repent of his action? Because Saul did not kill every last Amalekite; he spared one, their king Agag. Because Saul did not complete the genocide (Samuel would hack Agag to death), he is stripped of his kingship. This massacre is the last word on the Amalekites, whom God promised to blot out from history--our only record of their existence comes from the Bible and associated legends. I don't recall that there's a whisper of them in the historical or archaeological record. This is a long-running grudge, over the course of four centuries, dating back to King Amalek (cf Exodus 17). The point is that Amalekites were a thorn in the side of the Jews, and the Jews destroyed them entirely on God's command. Now ... does it worry me that the term "Amalek" has come up in Christian circles supporting the modern Israeli cause? Actually, not nearly as much as it would if Ariel Sharon uttered the name. But that's like telling Muslims a crusade is afoot--a bunch of people are about to die terribly. But the Jews at war with Amalek stopped shy, and their king was punished for failing to blot them from the earth. The obvious but irrelevant question is whether to test the theory again. But more directly, we might ask: Does the tale of the Amalekites in any way justify the Islamic-based extremists? No. Does it in any way excuse those extremists? No. What, then, is the point? Well, with Amalek rhetoric swirling around the Israeli cause, should I truly make the leap to the conclusion that genocide is a sacred practice in Judaism? No. It's absurd. And that's the kind of leap the author makes in the Frontpage article. Is genocide alien to true Judaism? What I want to show is that the leap from the extremist to the Quran to all of Islam is just as absurd as the leap from Amalek to the Israeli/Palestinian issue. After all, at the moment I'm looking at a blog page that cites a reform rabbi who notes that, "... we, too can be Amalek." It's not like I can fairly claim the Kahanists speak for all Jews and thus paint the Jews as genocidal. (Or this ... how could I possibly ascribe such extremism to all Jews?)

In the end, the punchline can be summed up by looking back to the topic article:

Empty claims that jihad decapitations are somehow "alien to true Islam," however well-intentioned, undermine serious efforts to reform and desacralize Islamic doctrine. This process will only begin with frank discussion, both between non-Muslims and Muslims, and within the Muslim community.

Source: Frontpage.com

I don't think the leap made in the article constitutes "frank discussion" of anything.

I am, for example, not interested in either hellelujah chorus or biblical precedences. Just answers, if not ready call me islamaphobe, i will go away calling nuts.

Er ... okay. This is about you. Right. I forgot.

gee.. thanks. But i did not say that the west is blameless. Just wanted to indicate how the muslims are exposed to western manipulations and their historical vulnerability to manipulations by their own; the culprits could be found within muslim community, even when no western country was around to play.

So in other words, we're back to faulting Muslims for being human?

And I'm sorry to take your sentences as exclusively as they're written. I'll try to interpret you more loosely in the future. And no, that's not sarcasm.

I would rather ask you not to pretend muslims are granted to err

To err is human.

Most of your take on muslims exclude Islam, it seems.

How so? Oh, right ... that makes sense if we throw out the comparative and pretend Muslims live in a vacuum.

No major religion had influence on its adherents in everyway,including politics, of life than Islam.

Makes sense to me, then, that these folks would be the fiercest to f@ck back when f@cked with. Hell, it's doctrinal to fight injustice until injustice ceases. What? Did nobody think of that going in?

The degree may vary on inividuals and groups.

So diversity is irrelevant to the generalism?

There were times in history when islamic world produced better talents as per our standards. To check-out where & how they lost out needs a self-criticism that you seem to consider unfair.

Hmm ... maybe you missed that part when I wrote,

Tiassa said:

When the Muslims control a modern-day empire of 300,000,000 people . . . .

And of course the passage you were responding to:

Tiassa said:

Lacking the same conditions, the same foundation, how can we possibly expect a people to respond to stimuli according to our standards?

Now, forgive me if I skip the many words that came immediately before that question, but you do recall that those "same conditions" and "same foundation" involve modern aspects not present in those glory days of old? (I'm also aware of your note about the length.)

And speaking of those glory days, the history of what happened at the end of those days running on up to the start of the Israel/Palestine dispute after WWII is rather enlightening.

Everneo said:
If i am firm that my backyard should be clean, i will take on anyone who dares to dump in my backyard.

Then why are Muslims not allowed the same?

I agree, you yankees have to look at your system before dropping tonnes of bombs and indulging in subversive activities around the world.

But, as a nation and culture, we don't really ever get around to it, do we?

We're too busy dumping sh@t in everyone else's backyard. I mean, not to restate that part of your point, but that's the reason we don't ever take on the group introspection. Kind of cyclical. Perverse. Incidentally, does it mean I hate America if I want that cycle to be broken?

Suppose if an atheist started this topic not willing to hear anymore comparision with sh@t in other religions that he himself would have questioned and ridiculed seperately plenty of times, would you still insist on comparision ?!

For all I know, an atheist did start this topic. However ....

Taking the point in what seems to be the intended context, yes. The argument is still about the religion, and if we're supposed to learn something new or be affected or otherwise respond to the stimulus of the article and the endorsement, we will still necessarily require certain comparative issues by which we're supposed to measure something so subjective as outrage.

To close out this one, a note on backyards:

When the Ottomans had tried to reorganize their army along Western lines in hope of containing the threat from Europe, their efforts were doomed because they were too superficial. To beat Europe at its own game, a conventional agrarian society would have to transform itself from top to bottom, and recreate its entire social, economic, educational, religious, spiritual, political, and intellectual structures. And it would have to do this very quickly, an impossible task, since it had taken the West almost three hundred years to achieve this development.

(Armstrong, 141)

The intervening history describes a period of conflict and exploitation in which the West is the clear victor to this point and Islam the clear loser. This ongoing process has created quite a mess in everyone's backyard, but especially in Islamic society.

Was the Shah of Iran operating by or merely exploiting corrupt religion? While the Shah was the willing party, what of Mossadeq? He was elected. And then the US helped overthrow him in order to shore up power for the Shah and Western interests.

The people tried to clean up their backyard. And they got squashed for doing so. And soon enough they will try again. Let us hope the West is more supportive of justice and not its projected profits.

To wrap up this last note, I wish to drag out a link to a short citation from Hunter S. Thompson, which I posted somewhere around here once before. I put it together in the first place because I think it's a striking analogy in some certain aspects, to how some Americans seem to regard the war in Iraq, but it works reasonably well here, too. At any rate, to avoid even more copyright violations, I won't reproduce the text here. It's just squirreled away at my homepage.

• Armstrong, Karen. Islam, A Short History. New York: Modern Library Chronicles, 2000.

Im so intimidated by tiassa's post length that I think I may drop out of this discussion. :eek:

The length is an unfortunate symptom of the questions at hand. I tried starting with a one-liner.

:cool:

surenderer said:
It tells the Muslims how to fight (smite the neck because of armor)
Good point. I wonder – is that the reason why some people are getting their heads chopped in Iraq? Quite effective really. Was that verse only to be used during that battle or for all time?

surenderer said:
and afterwards either set them free or let them buy their freedom(which was unheard of in those days)
I don’t understand? Was not commonly practiced by Arabic tribes or the world at large? I mean even Julius Caesar was himself ransomed – I think it was rather common.

everneo said:
Till the west treats certain Muslim countries as cows to milk natural resources and allied with their corrupt regimes for their own strategic interests, Islamists will have a cause and accuse the west as having double standards.
What I don’t understand is: “What exactly should the “West” (well to be fair it’s really the West AND East and South East and Oceania and Latin America and Russia . . . . ) do differently in the ME? How will that suddenly transform the ME into the prosperous place?

For the most part I can not think of a time in the World when (up until the last couple of hundred years) there was ever a sense of fairness for the average Joe on the street. I think (maybe not but I think) that the removing of religion (thanks TJ!) from governmental power and giving most people a say in how things are run - along with a few guaranteed rights - dramatically improved things for some societies (for example: The US or Japan or S. Korea).

So what is the West to do with the ME?
To either let the ME continue the way it has for centuries (a few at the top ruling over a lot way at the bottom) or make an attempt to change it more like the West. Well we can see how trying to change it like the West is going – it’s not. So Again, what to do? Either disengage entirely or just trade with the people who have been ruling for the last couple of years.

I think trade. . . .
No?

Is it this trading that you seem to think is the double standard? Would you prefer sanctions on the ME? Other than buying stuff the ME has to offer (mainly oil) how else do you suppose the West interact with the ME? If the West (lets say found another source of energy) stopped trading with the ME and the Monarchs in the ME fell from power – it’ll still be the same for the average Joe in the ME. Just look at Iran. Does that seem like a fair and just society? One that blathers on about the Great Satan yet ultimately (via Russia) sells 60% of it’s oil to said Satan. I wonder what would happen if Great Satan stopped buying Iranian oil?

I guess my point is there’s always a lot of finger pointing at the West as if the West is somehow personally responsible plight of the average Joe in the ME. Whose life I might add is probably better now than it has been in the last thousand years for buying from the West.

But if the West in not to Trade then how do you suppose the West interact with the ME? How will that make it a better place? What would you suppose the “West/East/South East/North/Oceana” do differently?

Michael said:
Good point. I wonder – is that the reason why some people are getting their heads chopped in Iraq? Quite effective really. Was that verse only to be used during that battle or for all time?

Only during battle.

Michael said:
I don’t understand? Was not commonly practiced by Arabic tribes or the world at large? I mean even Julius Caesar was himself ransomed – I think it was rather common.

No it was not. I has happened before but it was not the common thing.

Michael said:
What I don’t understand is: “What exactly should the “West” (well to be fair it’s really the West AND East and South East and Oceania and Latin America and Russia . . . . ) do differently in the ME? How will that suddenly transform the ME into the prosperous place?

They should stay out of it for starters...

Also, it is not the Middle East, it is the Arab world.

Michael said:
For the most part I can not think of a time in the World when (up until the last couple of hundred years) there was ever a sense of fairness for the average Joe on the street.

You speak as if it is there. It wasn't in Europe, but it was elsewhere.

Michael said:
I think (maybe not but I think) that the removing of religion (thanks TJ!) from governmental power and giving most people a say in how things are run - along with a few guaranteed rights - dramatically improved things for some societies (for example: The US or Japan or S. Korea).

Religion wasn't removed from Japan and S. Korea.

Also our religion provided for a say to the interest of the people. We did not have a church that kept piling up money. Our religon is what gave us prosperity. And we have fallen from grace when that religiousness was lost. But it is coming back, any future real democracy will be Islamic. Now that you know that tell me, do you still want the Arab world to have democracy?

Michael said:

Stay out of it, help the Islamic revolutionary movements or any freedom movement ( and not those whom further its agenda)

Michael said:
To either let the ME continue the way it has for centuries (a few at the top ruling over a lot way at the bottom) or make an attempt to change it more like the West.

Believe it or not, But the Muslims where already achieving "democracy" until the insecure powers of Europe entered the region. Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia, and Iran had already achieved either a constitution or parlement. Guess who disolved them? (hint: they came from 19th century Europe)

Michael said:
Well we can see how trying to change it like the West is going – it’s not. So Again, what to do? Either disengage entirely or just trade with the people who have been ruling for the last couple of years.

Why not support the population and try and force the tyrants to share the power

"too late" for that by the way, they had plenty of time to do that but instead they (out of fear) kept combatting the religious movements and lost a lot of goodwill. Muslims never hated the "west". In the beginning of the twentiest century, Arabs used to say that Europeans were closer to being Muslims than the Arabs.

Michael said:
I think trade. . . .
No?

Not bad, but remember the people should change their environment and not some exteriour force.

Michael said:
Is it this trading that you seem to think is the double standard? Would you prefer sanctions on the ME?

Please rephrase, 'cause this is not making sense.

Michael said:
Other than buying stuff the ME has to offer (mainly oil) how else do you suppose the West interact with the ME? If the West (lets say found another source of energy) stopped trading with the ME and the Monarchs in the ME fell from power – it’ll still be the same for the average Joe in the ME. Just look at Iran. Does that seem like a fair and just society? One that blathers on about the Great Satan yet ultimately (via Russia) sells 60% of it’s oil to said Satan. I wonder what would happen if Great Satan stopped buying Iranian oil?

First, buying or selling Oil is not a kindness. It is business. Btw Iran is the closest to democracy in the region (Although the clericks might be ruining it.)

Michael said:
I guess my point is there’s always a lot of finger pointing at the West as if the West is somehow personally responsible plight of the average Joe in the ME.

Dude, the "west" by its (historic) importance is directly responsible for the chaos in the Arab World. Just think of all those boarders for a start.

Michael said:
Whose life I might add is probably better now than it has been in the last thousand years for buying from the West.

You would be mistaken if you added that.

Michael said:
But if the West in not to Trade then how do you suppose the West interact with the ME? How will that make it a better place? What would you suppose the “West/East/South East/North/Oceana” do differently?

First get out of the region and take the colony in Palestine with them. Trade (why not). If you find any movements for freedom, support them without using them to further your agenda. Let history run its course.

But the real question is not "what can do "west" do to help the Arab world?". The questions are rather "Does the "west" want the good for the arab world?" "Is a prosperous Arab world in best-interest of the "west"?" "Is the "west willing to let the Arab world develop?"

take a look.
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=38140

:m:

Last edited:
Michael,

I think Bruce covered most of your questions. Let me comment on this part :

To either let the ME continue the way it has for centuries (a few at the top ruling over a lot way at the bottom) or make an attempt to change it more like the West. Well we can see how trying to change it like the West is going – it’s not. So Again, what to do? Either disengage entirely or just trade with the people who have been ruling for the last couple of years.

Changing it more like west did not seem to be the main agenda. So is just trade.

Almost for whole of last century, Arab world let itself to be dictated by the west.

Breaking up of Ottaman empire - one of the beneficiary, Saud needed Brits to have a seperate own kingdom away from the khalifate ; Creation of Israel - though it is controversial as to who let it happen ;

Overthrowing popular govt. in Iran and continue to sustain the trouble for the subsequent Islamic regime after Shah through the erst-while friend Saddam for around a decade ;

Continue to have over-cordial relationship with royals of Saudi while talking all the time about human rights and democracy in arab world ; Iraq debacle with WMD excuse coupled with 'freedom to Iraqis' generosity ; incurring muslim wrath with continuing support for Israel ;

you can include leaving Afghanistan in a mess after use ;

..and much more to list out. You can't find a consistent stand in respect of ME policy that does not qualify as double standard in the view of muslims.

While this being an external factor, Just wonder whether is it so impossible for the muslims to internally strengthen through unity and kicking out abusers of religion in top and in the fringe with terror agenda ?

Last edited:
Tiassa said:
everneo said:
But i did not say that the west is blameless. Just wanted to indicate how the muslims are exposed to western manipulations and their historical vulnerability to manipulations by their own; the culprits could be found within muslim community, even when no western country was around to play.

So in other words, we're back to faulting Muslims for being human?

we will not possibly get over this until you realize that being human is not equal to getting historically f**ked up by manipulators.

Tiassa said:
everneo said:

Then why are Muslims not allowed the same?

Who has to allow them to keep their own backyard clean from their own sh@t as well as others' ?

Was the Shah of Iran operating by or merely exploiting corrupt religion? While the Shah was the willing party, what of Mossadeq? He was elected. And then the US helped overthrow him in order to shore up power for the Shah and Western interests.

The people tried to clean up their backyard. And they got squashed for doing so. And soon enough they will try again.

That is the spirit.

Let us hope the West is more supportive of justice and not its projected profits.

That is a hope.

No sarcasm, indeed.

Back