Death penalty for tycoon rapist

(Insert title here)

A few points come to mind:

Precautions: Add this one to the list—Don't trust a Chinese man. After all, I've been reminded several times in recent months that women have an obligation to protect themselves against rape, since men apparently can't help themselves. Oh, also add, Don't trust a rich man. And, especially, Don't trust a rich Chinese man. Oh, shit. I almost forgot: Inquire at the outset if a man has faith in fortune tellers. If he says "no", take the precaution of not believing him and hire a private investigator. It's a relatively small, and therefore reasonable and prudent expense to protect yourself against rape.

Injustice: Throwing a fortune teller in jail because his client raped twenty people is unfair. Or perhaps the fortune teller should have taken the precaution of presuming that a rich Chinese man who is willing to listen to him is a rapist, and thus withheld his superstitious advice.

Further Injustice: It seems to me that executing the rapist, while it might be satisfying for some, does nothing for justice. Was the fortune teller's superstitious advice based on a personal invention, or was it drawn from more traditional considerations? If "justice" is "achieved" without gaining any substantial understanding of the crime, society cannot prepare itself to prevent similar crimes in the future. Of course, that's not a problem. We can just put that burden on past, present, and future victims. See Precautions above.​

It's RAPE. It's almost the worst evil you can commit.
There are all sorts of things that are MUCH worse than rape. I would much rather be raped than, say, hit by a drunk driver and left paralyzed, or lose an arm in an accident, or pretty much anything else that causes serious permanent damage. I suspect that most people would agree with me.

They just had a guy who was attacked. When he was found begging for help by some people passing by, they found that his eyes had been cut out. I would rather be raped.

I get raped all the time. No big deal.

Also, I support the death penalty for all crimes greater than traffic violations.

There are all sorts of things that are MUCH worse than rape. I would much rather be raped than, say, hit by a drunk driver and left paralyzed, or lose an arm in an accident, or pretty much anything else that causes serious permanent damage. I suspect that most people would agree with me.
It's about the nature of the crime as much as the damage.

ALMOST. And the Death Penalty is the most severe punishment we possess.

That doesn't limit it; we use the death penalty for all heinous crimes. At least, we should. Who cares if criminals die? I don't.

He raped more than 20 young GIRLS, not young women. I have no problem with him being put to death.

Interesting, why do people think that there should be harsher punishments for assaulting a young girl than for a young woman.

I get raped all the time. No big deal.

Also, I support the death penalty for all crimes greater than traffic violations.

nice idea lets give people that steal some candy the death penalty. you are brilliant.

nice idea lets give people that steal some candy the death penalty. you are brilliant.

That's obviously not the same. Rape and stealing a piece of candy are far different, with one being near ultimate, and the other simply a misdemeanor.

Further Injustice: It seems to me that executing the rapist, while it might be satisfying for some, does nothing for justice.

Bullocks! Justice has always contained the vengeance of society and the harmed. The reason we cede powers to a government is in the hopes that they will, as fairly as possible, bring peace to the harmed. The only reason why tribal people gave up this power was the implicit agreement that the mob would be toned down and order imposed, but in return the government would dish out the vengeance and justice. People like to say things like, "Well, of course I'd want vengeance if my wife were murdered, but I wouldn't be acting in a clear mind." But the fact is, Justice is equal parts rehabilitation as it is retribution. Separate one, and you lose half the purpose.

If "justice" is "achieved" without gaining any substantial understanding of the crime, society cannot prepare itself to prevent similar crimes in the future. Of course, that's not a problem. We can just put that burden on past, present, and future victims. See Precautions above.[/indent]

Seriously, your talking like the perp will be studied by scientists. What more is there to be learned or understood? Sure, I guess there are "studies" that could be done, but those would all be too inhumane.

~String

Death is too easy. He should be in prison for a long long time.

I'm okay with that too. As long as it's ADX style. Zero human interaction. Insipid food. No spice, sugar, salt (beyond that which is necessary for physical needs). No phone calls. No TV. No visits (maybe quarterly visits by a lawyer). No letters. Maybe books, but really bad ones like "Sweet Valley High" and "Nancy Drew Mysteries".

Utter & total isolation. Walls, bare walls. A pad. A toilet. A sink. And loneliness. Decades and decades of absolute loneliness.

~String

No, I would not want that. I want him to eat normally, live as a person in prison does. I want him to be healthy, both physically and mentally. I don't want anything to interfere with his mental capacity to recognise that he has lost his prior cushy life. I don't want him to feel self pity, I want him to feel remorse.

It's RAPE. It's almost the worst evil you can commit.

Well I completely disagree, at least his victims can get treatment where as someone convicted of murder has completely taken away any chance of his victim ever getting help or living a full life, even with emotional scars. The punishment of death in this case outweighs the crime, although the crime was heinous. I would like to know the ages of his victims. Violent rape might be one the evilest things but there are far worse things to happen to people such as a torturous murder, or violent attempted murder where the person survives with live debilitating afflictions. I say take his money and let it pay for his incarceration calculated on his life expectancy and cost to house him, the rest of his money should be equally divided upon his victims.

Opps don’t get me wrong after reading my post it appears I support rape so let me make it clear- I think rape of anyone at any age is a terrible violation of human respect and human rights, and people doing such should be immediately sent to a psychiatric facility for evaluation and incarceration if it is deemed. There are varying degrees of rape and circumstances so it would have to be judged on a case by case basis, in the case of the man the age of the victims and the method would have to be considered. Regardless IMO the death penalty is too harsh.

It is not unusual for China to execute people for offenses that would be unusual if not unheard in the West. I read somewhere, I believe it was the BBC, that China has about 60 offenses that one can be sentanced to death for. It is also not unusual in other parts of the world, particularly Africa in places that the law is enforced to execute for the crime of rape. They just hang them there. This dirty old man is the scum of the Earth and the world will be no worse off being without him.

Texas is considering bringing back this sentence.

The United States used to do this before the 1860's.

I wish I could be for it...the problem is. I don't believe death penalty can be valid unless there are two witnesses, in fact I don't believe any death penalty for anything with out 2 valid witnesses. How often is there witness to rape?

Texas is considering bringing back this sentence.

The United States used to do this before the 1860's.

I wish I could be for it...the problem is. I don't believe death penalty can be valid unless there are two witnesses, in fact I don't believe any death penalty for anything with out 2 valid witnesses. How often is there witness to rape?

I live in Texas, and Texas enjoys high support for the dp as well as the most executions per year.

Evidence>witnesses.

Back