Damning a gay person to hell should be against the law

Magical Realist

Valued Senior Member
Oh I didn't say that, though I DO consider it a form of hatespeech and possibly verbal harassment. So
guess who DID say it?
==============================
"On The O'Reilly Factor last night, Bill O'Reilly asserted that berating
a gay person by telling them "you're going to Hell" should be against
the law in particular circumstances.

While discussing with John Stossel the case of American evangelist Tony
Miano, who was recently arrested in England for publicly preaching
"homophobic speech," O'Reilly posited a hypothetical situation in which
a preacher "gets in a gay man's face" and tells him "you're going to
Hell, you're going to Hell."

"I think that should be against the law," O'Reilly said. "Because he's
invading the person's space. He's bringing intentional, personal anguish
to the person. I think that person should be protected."

Stossel agreed that it's wrong to say such things to other people, but
differed by suggesting that the standard for illegality in speech
"should be fighting words" specifically meant to "incite violence."

"Going to Hell is pretty violent," O'Reilly joked. "It's pretty hot down
there. It doesn't feel good!

The irony is...no one knows who is going to heaven or hell. (I'm a believer in God and I cringe when I see or hear fellow believers spouting this nonsense) As if they know.

I agree. It should be hate speech and depending on the situation, a person could be legally entitled to damages from harassment.

O'Reilly is pretty objective. I didn't always think so but he seems to look at all angles of a situation and tries to be impartial. I believe he votes as an independent.

Getting in someone's face and yelling at them probably is against the law already. The exact content of that yelling is probably irrelevant.

Getting in someone's face and yelling at them probably is against the law already. The exact content of that yelling is probably irrelevant.

I think it's relevant. You may be thinking of assault, which is yelling at someone in a way to make them think they will be harmed - and is a criminal act. Screaming "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" in someone's face is not assault; yelling "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" is.

Oh I didn't say that, though I DO consider it a form of hatespeech and possibly verbal harassment. So
guess who DID say it?
==============================

"Going to Hell is pretty violent," O'Reilly joked. "It's pretty hot down
there. It doesn't feel good!
Damit stop pitting your self . you want to be a maricon so take the consequence. It is enough that man have to protect women . Do you wan t us to protect maricones ?

If you made this against the law then many of the preachers and churchgoers in America will go to jail. Hmmm, not a bad idea. While we are at it can we put these people in jail for exploitation and teaching ignorance?

If you made this against the law then many of the preachers and churchgoers in America will go to jail. Hmmm, not a bad idea. While we are at it can we put these people in jail for exploitation and teaching ignorance?

Ignorance of what ?

I've been going to church most of my life and have never heard a sermon about homosexuality. True story. I've been fortunate perhaps to be a part of loving churches. :eek:

Your words here though are a little harsh though. Many "church goers" are great loving ppl.

Ignorance of what ?

Noticed that you did not mention exploitation, so I guess we agree on that, good. Teaching children through fear of hell and damnation if they do not believe in their specific god,or that evolution is a hoax, that the world was created in six days, that humans should not lean to their own understanding but believe whatever abomination is spewing out of a preacher's mouth as to what they should believe and how they should live their lives with nothing to back it up except speculation based on nothing. This really can hinder the education process as those children are more likely to believe in magic than scientific process.

I've been going to church most of my life and have never heard a sermon about homosexuality. True story. I've been fortunate perhaps to be a part of loving churches. :eek:

Your words here though are a little harsh though. Many "church goers" are great loving ppl.

Yes, of course there are those churches but there are also plenty of the churches of which I speak, especially in the South.

Yes, of course there are those churches but there are also plenty of the churches of which I speak, especially in the South.

Sadly true.
It is equally sad if the sermons ppl are hearing are teaching or promoting hate.
That's not what being a faith believer is about.
I guess I have been sheltered. Lol

I've been going to church most of my life and have never heard a sermon about homosexuality..

I've heard several, primarily in our school masses. Generally couched in coded phrases like "don't give in to unnatural desires; they can destroy your life."

I think it's relevant. You may be thinking of assault, which is yelling at someone in a way to make them think they will be harmed - and is a criminal act. Screaming "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" in someone's face is not assault; yelling "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" is.
Good to know. I guess I can now yell things in the faces of people I don't like, as long as I'm yelling Happy Birthday.

Damit stop pitting your self . you want to be a maricon so take the consequence. It is enough that man have to protect women . Do you wan t us to protect maricones ?
* * * * WARNING FROM A MODERATOR * * * *

Maricon is hate speech in much of the Spanish-speaking world. It's equivalent to calling someone a "faggot."

This kind of language is not allowed on SciForums. Please do not use it again or you will be banned.

So the gay propaganda people will likewise go to jail, I am sure?

What about "gay propaganda" comes even close to preaching that gay people deserve to be tortured in fire forever just for living out their gayness? Of their justifiable consignment to an escatological holocaust someday just for loving the person they love? I'm not aware of ANY gay groups promoting such hate about christians.

* * * * WARNING FROM A MODERATOR * * * *

Maricon is hate speech in much of the Spanish-speaking world. It's equivalent to calling someone a "faggot."

This kind of language is not allowed on SciForums. Please do not use it again or you will be banned.

Thanks. I didn't even know what that meant.

I've heard several, primarily in our school masses. Generally couched in coded phrases like "don't give in to unnatural desires; they can destroy your life."

Yeah true.
I honestly think that life would be easier if we just treated everyone the same ..,with respect and kindness. Regardless of race religion status...etc

Why is this so damn hard?!?!
:(

I honestly think that life would be easier if we just treated everyone the same ..,with respect and kindness. Regardless of race religion status...etc Why is this so damn hard?!?!(

Some people see this as a zero sum game. If other groups are treated with respect and kindness, there's less respect and kindness "left over" for them. Look at the recent "protect the sanctity of marriage!" arguments - there were people who actually thought that their marriages would lose value if other people were allowed to marry. Same with interracial marriage, black rights, women's rights etc.

I actually take the opposite view. By showing respect for people who are different than you, you end up with more respect from them in the long run.

Back