Curfews

What is your opinion on state curfews?

• I support them everywhere for all people

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The technology can be developed, and it's only logical to ensure the safety of society.

Society is safest when there is the least intrusion into people's private lives.

What you propose is totalitarianism, and it's probably because you are naive and don't really understand human nature.

Riiiight, so a neglectful home suddenly turns into 'Little House on the Prairie' and the parents start being all attentive because of a curfew law? Child neglect being a crime stamps out child neglect does it? If parents break that law, are they going to give a rat's ass about a curfew? Why criminalise children, because they have crap parents? Seems like a way of keeping some people down, to me. But then curfews are a sign of moral priggery......

Criminalize children??? A curfew criminalizes children? Moral priggery. Oh, how you love to rant. :xctd:

LOL, that's your reason for a 14 yr old being out after midnight? Why not a 10 yr old then, why not a 6 yr old? :rolleyes:

It's contrary to human rights law, yes, that is my reason, human rights. Maybe you can disown them so easily, but I can't. It's not about whether a kid has any business being outside at that hour, but rather whether it's right that we should pass blanket laws preventing them from going about their lawful business as and when they want to. You've bucked the system and got special treatment for your son, but then, isn't that always the case with moral prigs, restrictions are always best placed on other people?

Criminalize children??? A curfew criminalizes children? Moral priggery. Oh, how you love to rant. :xctd:

Of course it criminalises chilren. It makes an activity I was legally allowed to do illegal. Can't you grasp that?

I was allowed out after midnight when I was that age, at the weekends. Often, I would cycle over to my friends house (living in the countryside my friends were dispersed) and we often would go out into the woods at night, and just look at the stars. We used to go on 'night exercises' and practice navigating using a compass and the stars around the woods at night. There were also organised competitions doing this involving orienteering, and problem solving.

And all that healthy legal outdoor fun would be criminalised by curfew laws.

Of course it criminalises chilren. It makes an activity I was legally allowed to do illegal. Can't you grasp that?

I was allowed out after midnight when I was that age, at the weekends. Often, I would cycle over to my friends house (living in the countryside my friends were dispersed) and we often would go out into the woods at night, and just look at the stars. We used to go on 'night exercises' and practice navigating using a compass and the stars around the woods at night. There were also organised competitions doing this involving orienteering, and problem solving.

And all that healthy legal outdoor fun would be criminalised by curfew laws.

Do you really think cops drive around looking for kids to haul in? Its for the city limits only, so all your friends and you out in the country are just fine. And organized events are also exempt. The curfew is mainly to keep kids from loitering and getting into trouble. If they need to be out late talking, they can go to each others houses.

It's contrary to human rights law, yes, that is my reason, human rights. Maybe you can disown them so easily, but I can't. It's not about whether a kid has any business being outside at that hour, but rather whether it's right that we should pass blanket laws preventing them from going about their lawful business as and when they want to. You've bucked the system and got special treatment for your son, but then, isn't that always the case with moral prigs, restrictions are always best placed on other people?

I didn't buck the system. I didn't go to court whining about how it infringed on poor lil jr's rights. About how that mean ol law disrespected him. I asked and they said ok. If he ever left the neighbourhood or did more than just ride his bike around, then he would still have been hauled in. If they had said no, he would have had to be content to ride his bike up and down the driveway.

So at what age do you think a curfew law should apply? 6, 10, 12, 15??? Or do you think any aged child should be allowed?

And why do you always resort to name calling? :bugeye:

orelander thats the whole point. Dont you think parents are better than the courts or pollies at deciding what limits to set for there children?

if parents cant actually care for there children then we should really be debating what action to take against THEM not against the children.

My parents decided when i went out, when i had to be home and even bought my drink before i turned 18.

if parents cant actually care for there children then we should really be debating what action to take against THEM not against the children.

My parents decided when i went out, when i had to be home and even bought my drink before i turned 18.

yeah like many mums and dads and that is ok, but try living in the real world, kids go against mums and dads all the time, my kids are told if you cant be home by 11:00 then please call me and tell me where you are, then i call the mums and dads of the other kids to make sure they are there

So at what age do you think a curfew law should apply? 6, 10, 12, 15??? Or do you think any aged child should be allowed?

dont you see? a government cant make that judgement, its up to the parents to judge when their children are able to be responsible for themselves. children grow up at different rates.

Do you really think cops drive around looking for kids to haul in?

If they have no intention of enforcing the law, there's no point having a law. Also, if a law is not applied evenly, it breeds resentment, that some kids get picked up, and others don't.

But yes, if there is a curfew, and the Police are on patrol, I would expect them to pick kids up, or it's all pointless.

Its for the city limits only, so all your friends and you out in the country are just fine.

Great, so it's a two tier system with inner city kids getting penalised.

And organized events are also exempt.

But kids aren't to be trusted themselves.

The curfew is mainly to keep kids from loitering and getting into trouble. If they need to be out late talking, they can go to each others houses.

How does a midnight curfew stop a kid getting into trouble? They are kids, not Gremlins. Midnight doesn't transform them into anything. They are as capable of graffiti at 23:59 as they are at 00:01! Surely once it's dark, there's a potential for sneaking around and getting into trouble. Is the curfew limit not seasonal?

The only people who can or the only people who should?

I do not think there should be a curfew unless it is in an area completely overrun with crime.

both!!

perants are the ones who tell they're kids what to do, and if the kids are sensible why should they be told to go home by a certain time?

my son who is 8yrs old, was put playing last night, until 9:00 does that make me a bad mother or his father a bad father?

Sometimes intrusion is necessary to uphold moral code
Benevolent totalitarianism:D

This is one of the places where you get confused. People with power like to hold onto power. They can use the power to hold on to power. It is safest for them to treat possible threats as real ones. What do they have to lose. So every single totalitarian regime has not been benevolent.

You have an idea in your head. But this idea does not match reality.

No, it isn't if only previous offenders are subject to it

Non offenders can still go outside

what kind of offender are you talking about here? These days its becoming easier and easier to become an "offender"

And they do have curfews for high profile criminal/offenders. Its called prison. Anyone outside of prison has either A) done their time or on parole in which case a curfew wont do jack if they want to break parole.

Curfew is uneccessary and can EASILY be abused by law enforcement. I have no criminal record to date but I tell you what, if someone starts telling me when I can and can't be outside my house I'll become one quickly.

both!!

perants are the ones who tell they're kids what to do, and if the kids are sensible why should they be told to go home by a certain time?

my son who is 8yrs old, was put playing last night, until 9:00 does that make me a bad mother or his father a bad father?

No, that doesn't make you a bad mother or his father a bad father. I just thought that there was a curfew for people under a certain age in the state of Florida, which would mean that parents are not the only ones who can tell kids to be home at a certain time in Florida.

Back