Could you be monolithic religious & an evolutionist?

What? Huh? It's just to point out for LG that science definitely had a distinct origin. I don't give a fuck about popper.

trouble is it is not distinct - he has an idea where and when science was invented, but since you couldn't care less about it, it s not clear where your conviction that science was "invented" arises from ..... (In other words your stance appears to be "who knows who, who knows where, who knows why and who knows when ?????? But it happened okay - trust me.")

trouble is it is not distinct - he has an idea where and when science was invented, but since you couldn't care less about it, it s not clear where your conviction that science was "invented" arises from ..... (In other words your stance appears to be "who knows who, who knows where, who knows why and who knows when ?????? But it happened okay - trust me.")
LG,

The greeks are generally attributed with the origin of scientific thought. You have a computer, right? :D :m: You probably have a library nearby too. You can google this well known fact or go to the library and research it.

Why not stop making silly statements until you've looked into it a bit?

LG,

The greeks are generally attributed with the origin of scientific thought. You have a computer, right? :D :m: You probably have a library nearby too. You can google this well known fact or go to the library and research it.

Why not stop making silly statements until you've looked into it a bit?

Why should we believe the information about the Greeks?

On the basis of established authority? Are you using LG's tactics on me?:bugeye:

No he's not

there is no one making claims of the direct perception of the invention of science, nor claims of the process that enables the direct perception of the history of science

Just some people with some (apparently) good ideas on the subject

No he's not

there is no one making claims of the direct perception of the invention of science, nor claims of the process that enables the direct perception of the history of science

Just some people with some (apparently) good ideas on the subject

You have the philosophers disease, don't you?

A philosopher's disease. To make the average person confused, that is - to make everything into a mystery. Not all things are riddles, but a philosopher tries to make them so, and in so doing becomes an ideologist for the system. The main features of this system are clear...and we know what is needed.

religion!=science

When it is claimed that a supernatural being exists for certain, in much the same way it is claimed the Earth revolves around the sun, it is then subject to scientific scrutiny. And even if you personally don't do this, others do.

As for the thread, I'm guessing that "evolutionism" has something to do with evolution. Perhaps it's a creationist's misspelling. So I'll proceed with that assumption.

At least some parts of the Bible allow for evolution:

Genesis 1, King James Version

[Sup]11[/Sup] And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

[Sup]12[/Sup] And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

[...]

[Sup]20[/Sup] And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

[...]

[Sup]24[/Sup] And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Notice that these passages say these things were brought forth by the Earth. I'd say this is a creative and mystical way of saying these things evolved to their then-present state.

Of course, these passages are next to ones that said God created these things. So ultimately, there is a contradiction. Did God create, or did the Earth bring forth?

Such is rigid religious doctrine.

I'd probably use a frying pan rather than a gun

And thus who would be responsible for using the frying pan as an assault weapon? You can hardly blame Mr Tefal. By the very same notion you could not blame science for making anything that others use.

And thus who would be responsible for using the frying pan as an assault weapon? You can hardly blame Mr Tefal. By the very same notion you could not blame science for making anything that others use.

If you can't see a difference between a frying pan and a neutron bomb, you have your head too far up your ass.
I doubt I could fry an egg with a neutron bomb, now, could I?

By the same token, I doubt the guy who designed the frying pan conisdered its ability to kill all people and leave the buildings standing.

Buy a gun, keep it in your house, preferably where its accessible to all.
Repeat with frying pan.

Tell me the difference.

If you can't see a difference between a frying pan and a neutron bomb, you have your head too far up your ass.

If you can't see the difference between making something and using something then.. bah, I wont get into petty insults - it's a sign of a weak or non-existant argument.

In case you missed it:

Repeat with frying pan.

Tell me the difference.

Repeat with frying pan.

Tell me the difference.

The person that uses the former wants to harm, the person that uses the latter wants to cook, (unless he uses that frying pan to whack someone round the head when it would seem he too wants to harm).

Most people do not buy guns to use, but as a last defence.

The person that uses the former wants to harm, the person that uses the latter wants to cook, (unless he uses that frying pan to whack someone round the head when it would seem he too wants to harm).

So if I decide to sit down and make a neutron bomb at home for defending myself, everyone would be okay with it?

Or any kind of bomb?

Last edited:
So if I decide to sit down and make a neutron bomb at home for defending myself, everyone would be okay with it?

Or any kind of bomb?

Defending from what? A mouse in the corner? Isn't that overkill?

Defending from what? A mouse in the corner? Isn't that overkill?

You believe I'm afraid of mice?

I can take them apart in less than 10 minutes.:p

I would say anyone who designs a bomb to kill hundreds of thousands of people has pretty much no idea of the notion of overkill, wouldn't you?

Or any kind of bomb?

Probably not, the religious seem quite inclined to use these things. However, depending upon where you live people would be ok with you keeping a gun at home. Here in the UK people can't do that, (without specific licences), but in the vastly religious nation known as USA people owning guns is commonplace - hell, the right to do so is part of the constitution.

Guns can be used for many things: They can be used to fight wars, to hunt animals, to start swimming races, to have fun at amusement arcades or to hold up banks or murder people. If you decide not to make anything on the basis that it can be used for bad reasons this would be a pretty empty planet.

Back