Convince me, please.

<table><tr><td>
I've had experiences that were not entirely materialistic and which have convinced me that there is an afterlife.

As someone else put it - I see dead people</td></tr></table>
Hello Cronin

I see dead people too. Usually in wooden boxes, wearing their best suit. Do share your "not entirely materialistic" experiences if you feel so inclined. How do these support the existence of an afterlife and how do you rule out materialist explanations, hallucinations etc.?

Re: Jan

Originally posted by Teg

Is that a rI understand where you are coming from Cris, but I don’t agree as I believe “we” are not our (natural) bodies. iddle?

Or was it actually supposed to make sense?

Exactly which part of that did you not understand?

Let's do a hypothetical experiment. Isolate ten children from birth. No influences. Will they be atheists or theists?

If the children only had interest in eating, sleeping, having sex and fighting, then i would say they would be atheist. If they started to question their own and others existence, became curious about death (what happens after), wondered how this planet is so completely organised, wondered why there was good and evil in the world, and other things too numerous to catolougue then i would say they are developing thier human potential to be able to realise that there is some higher brain behind things, and could well become theists.

Without the introduction of a deity the chance that they would invent one would be infintesimile.

You class yourself as a logical and intelligent human being. You don't accept nothing as fact unless it has been proven beyond doubt. Yeah?
Now you are presuming (i think) that God has been invented, please back that claim up with proof of evidence.

Theism is only universal when it is introduced.

And so is atheism.

Therefore it is an inherintly weak idea.

Why is it weak?

There are no phenomena that might lead a thinking person to it as an explanation.

Not even curiosity

Most deities came about as a lack of understanding.

This is great, please offer some proof of evidence.

In the human effort to know its world they fabricate fairy tales.

Given your hypothectical experiment above, why would they have need to fabricate anything nevermind fairytales.

That is not to say that a lack of influence might not lead to the fabrication of more fairy tales.

You seem very knowledgable, i am searching for knowledge, please provide proof of your claim and in your own words, please tell me what Cinderella, Snow Whiteand Rumpelstilskin ect. has to do with God.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by Adam
Congratulations, you have seen the light. TheChosen is incapable of logic. He relies on assumptions and generalisations and completely ignoring what is presented. I find the best way to deal with such people is to view them as little bug-like things doing tricks, like a flea-circus.

So far, I see Chosen has almost all the logic in this argument with him and Teg. Many people assume too much in arguments, but Chosen hardly assumes if you can seeee and read correctly and clearly instead of always attacking him...why? I've read other threads before and from what I see, you're just jealous because Chosen has beaten your logic with his. :D I've known Chosen for a long time and he's a very good debater, one of the best I've seen, because he seems to always have the last say in an argument.

Categorization (Bring your compass it's time to draw Venn diagrams)

I don't wish to continue much further in what I feel is a digression. I think Cris summarized a position, which I agree with, very well in his last post. I would add, that I can see Agnosticism as also defining a natural state with the particular definition being "One who neither believes nor disbelieves in God(s)" although this would also classify as an Atheistic standpoint as well (lack of belief in God(s), in which case one would be both Atheist and Agnostic.

I'm not sure that the clarification is all that important, however. This digression seems to be based largely in response to an attempt to classify Atheism as negativistic. Once again, I see this as putting the cart before the horse. Atheism might indeed develop from a negativistic standpoint but it is neither reliant upon such a position, nor does Atheism mandate such a stance. Give this, the assertion is simply a generalization and ultimately incorrect though it may apply to a subset of the category.

The main problem here, I believe, is the attempt to overly simplify and categorize. Categorization is a human construction, which is always ultimately false due to its reliance upon set definitions, generalizations, and fuzzy logic. Categories are only true within the limits of the world as it is defined by the category. The sets we are working with here (Atheism, Agnosticism, Theism) even with broadened definitions are very simplistic as compared to subtlety of the nature of belief. The issue also butts up against the much more fundamental concepts and positions that are still being debated in epistemology.

There are fundamental differences in our various approaches towards determining truth. As Tiassa has stated it, "At some point we must put our foot down." Which is a position I agree with. Each of us form models from our various beliefs which we use to focus our experience into understandable constructs; no two of which are identical.

Ultimately, these categorical divisions regarding God become useless. The methods and models are what are important. I also believe that there would be more agreement in our perspectives than we might originally suspect. Perhaps, given certain areas of agreement (or agreeing to disagree), we might get to something more useful than a discussion of whether God exists or not; Truth is not dependant upon such a judgment. At some point, we must all admit a fundamental level of ignorance and subjectivity. Even the most refined physics theory or mathematical equation is only a model of the truth; it may prove true in application but it is not the truth itself.

~Raithere

Cronin: I know many people who have transformed their lives for the better after "realizing God" (as Jan puts it). None of them have been on death row so I don't buy the "fear of death" argument. Many times, people who "realize God" learn how to love themselves and their fellow human beings through their relationship with God.

I also know many who never spent time in state-run halfway houses who have been transformed after realizing God so I don't agree with your conclusion that state run halfway houses are the only real hope for transformation.
Then you missed my first assertion. These people are using theism as a way to form social relationships. I did add another argument to cover this scenario. The near death due to the inherint hazards of criminal behavior. Also it seems to me that I without any specificity I can only assume that you lack sufficient knowledge of these people, are fabricating them, or just aren't willing to share even general details. I have never heard a story of a bad person turning to religion that wasn't based on some sort of injury or near injury.

Also "realizing God" sounds kind of 1984ish. Brainwashing is good symbology here. Who better to take advantage of than the weaker portion of the population. Your ilk are not motivated by altruism, only survival. I don't buy that you are trying to "save" people out of some sort of compassion. You are only trying to extend your membership. Not with convicts, only a few will work for miles, but with people who you have convinced that this is a repeatable phenomena. I would be most pleased if the church released the actual numbers of these occurences. The only time I hear of these people are promotional videos in infomercials at 2:00AM. And lately I have not heard any of these. These are potential conmen and admitted criminals. They do know how to lie to get the perks of being a "reformed" person.

Dark Master:So far, I see Chosen has almost all the logic in this argument with him and Teg. Many people assume too much in arguments, but Chosen hardly assumes if you can seeee and read correctly and clearly instead of always attacking him...why? I've read other threads before and from what I see, you're just jealous because Chosen has beaten your logic with his. I've known Chosen for a long time and he's a very good debater, one of the best I've seen, because he seems to always have the last say in an argument.
Outside observers also introduce bias. People are more likely to see in favor of the arguer whose belief system is similar. Long relationships with others also introduce rose colored sentiments. Your words mean nothing as they come from an impartial perspective. How so "beaten" am I? I simply did not wish to restate my proofs. It was the inability to make his case that damned your friend. All of my arguments had support from multiple impartial observers. He had Jan.

Me: You are wrong because of point A and point B.
~The_Chosen~: Ha, I'm wrong, prove it!
Me: Point A and point B as previously displayed. Please accept or refute these.
~The_Chosen~: Teg is the ad hocism master. Cite it ! Give me some cites!

Dark Master, the last say is only a matter of obdurate behavior. It has no intrinsic value in a conversation, especially when the person in question would rather ignore what you say. If ~The_Chosen~ is your idea of even a sufficient arguer, then you are susceptable to suggestion. That was the same garbage he was trying to sell me. Were you among those he converted?

Raithere: I'm not sure that the clarification is all that important, however. This digression seems to be based largely in response to an attempt to classify Atheism as negativistic. Once again, I see this as putting the cart before the horse. Atheism might indeed develop from a negativistic standpoint but it is neither reliant upon such a position, nor does Atheism mandate such a stance. Give this, the assertion is simply a generalization and ultimately incorrect though it may apply to a subset of the category.
Now have I have another good perspective adding to my synthesis.

Raithere:The main problem here, I believe, is the attempt to overly simplify and categorize. Categorization is a human construction, which is always ultimately false due to its reliance upon set definitions, generalizations, and fuzzy logic. Categories are only true within the limits of the world as it is defined by the category. The sets we are working with here (Atheism, Agnosticism, Theism) even with broadened definitions are very simplistic as compared to subtlety of the nature of belief. The issue also butts up against the much more fundamental concepts and positions that are still being debated in epistemology.
Stereotyping, a human phenomena that inclines one towards a generalization about the sum from experiences with the whole. It doesn't really matter to them how many times we say it. They are immune to logic.
Jan Ardena:If they started to question their own and others existence, became curious about death (what happens after), wondered how this planet is so completely organised, wondered why there was good and evil in the world, and other things too numerous to catolougue then i would say they are developing thier human potential to be able to realise that there is some higher brain behind things, and could well become theists.
Good and evil are your concepts. There are no natural phenomena that would lead to this model of the world. The development of this idea is closely related to religion. They may wonder about the organization but then they may also be intelligent and invent a working a physics model. That would be unlikely. As unlikely that is it is even more so that they would develop a god. That seems more an oddity in human development, a holdover from days in which our brains were more flawed.
You class yourself as a logical and intelligent human being. You don't accept nothing as fact unless it has been proven beyond doubt. Yeah?
Every concept we have has been invented in some way. How could it be any other way? A god did not place the thought of god in your head. Another human being was the culprit. People isolated from the rest of the world do not develop theism. That comes from contact. Religions are more closely tied with accidental occurences. The only reason you believe is because of a Volcano in the Mediterranian.
Theism is only universal when it is introduced.

And so is atheism.
Then you lack understanding. Atheism is only the title for such behavior. The name is not the important part.
Therefore it is an inherintly weak idea.
Generally any statement of therefore follows an argument. Back up alittle and you'll see why quoting the therefore by itself was an error in your argument.
There are no phenomena that might lead a thinking person to it as an explanation.

Not even curiosity
Besides Conmen and liars, is what I should of said. These are the inventors of religion.
This is great, please offer some proof of evidence.
All Greek gods were based on an inability to explain a phenomena. Native American gods are similar. Yahweh does the same only in terms of one rather than many. Jesus was only a corollary to the Yahweh stories.
Given your hypothectical experiment above, why would they have need to fabricate anything nevermind fairytales.
Liars abound.
You seem very knowledgable, i am searching for knowledge, please provide proof of your claim and in your own words, please tell me what Cinderella, Snow Whiteand Rumpelstilskin ect. has to do with God.
I am talking abou the Yahweh and Jesus fairy tales.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Teg
Good and evil are your concepts.

My concept you say?………..interesting.
How so?

There are no natural phenomena that would lead to this model of the world.

So you don’t think humans would question their existence?

They may wonder about the organization but then they may also be intelligent and invent a working a physics model.

They may well do, it would depend on the individual.

As unlikely that is it is even more so that they would develop a god.

I agree, they might not develop a god.
But some (the more intelligent) would realise that a superior being is responsible for theirs and everythings existence.
It’s a natural stage, IMO.
Ask Newton and Einstein. ;)

That seems more an oddity in human development, a holdover from days in which our brains were more flawed.

Brains were flawed.
Why?
How do you know this?

Every concept we have has been invented in some way.

Given what a concept is, it is kind of obvious. But God is not a concept, you’ve yet to prove otherwise.

A god did not place the thought of god in your head.

We are human beings, it is in our nature to seek God, if we misuse the opportunity, then that is our own fault.

Another human being was the culprit.

As a man of logic, please say who.

People isolated from the rest of the world do not develop theism.

The term theism or atheism is neither here nor there, it just describes ones state of mind. What I am refering to is knowledge of self and the creator, God.

Religions are more closely tied with accidental occurences.

Really….explain how the vedas accidentaly occurred then.

The only reason you believe is because of a Volcano in the Mediterranian.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
That is really funny.

Then you lack understanding. Atheism is only the title for such behavior. The name is not the important part.

The same goes for theism.

Generally any statement of therefore follows an argument. Back up alittle and you'll see why quoting the therefore by itself was an error in your argument.

Back up a little and you will see you made that statement.

Besides Conmen and liars, is what I should of said. These are the inventors of religion.

I wait in anticipation for your proof of evidence.

All Greek gods were based on an inability to explain a phenomena. Native American gods are similar. Yahweh does the same only in terms of one rather than many. Jesus was only a corollary to the Yahweh stories.

Tell me more.

I am talking abou the Yahweh and Jesus fairy tales.

Why call them fairy-tales.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Jan:<blockquote>But some (the more intelligent) would realise that a superior being is responsible for theirs and everythings existence.
Ask Newton and Einstein.
</blockquote>

Apart from being a fallacious appeal to authority, it is wrong.

From: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/~lesikar/einstein/personal.html

<table><tr><td bgcolor="#ccccaa"><font size="1">I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable. It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. I have no possibility to bring the money you sent me to the appropriate receiver. I return it therefore in recognition of your good heart and intention. Your letter shows me also that wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.-Einstein</font></td></tr></table>

Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Jan:<blockquote>But some (the more intelligent) would realise that a superior being is responsible for theirs and everythings existence.
Ask Newton and Einstein.
</blockquote>

Apart from being a fallacious appeal to authority, it is wrong.

Oh puh-lease :rolleyes: , a desparate attemp to claim Einstein an atheist (so childish).

If you really want to know what he thought then why don’t you try reading he wrote and said.

http://stripe.colorado.edu/~judy/einstein/god.html

Love

Jan Ardena.

Last edited:
Jan:
<blockquote>Oh puh-lease , a desparate attemp to claim Einstein an atheist (so childish).</blockquote>

Er, no. I'm disputing/refuting the claim that he believed in a personal god. It's hardly dichotomous. If you've had read his letters and writtings at all, you'd see he is very obviously pantheistic. Was your link supposed to provide contrary evidence?

Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Lets see, I said, Er, no. I'm disputing/refuting the claim that he believed in a personal god. It's hardly dichotomous. If you've had read his letters and writtings at all, you'd see he is very obviously pantheistic.
Was your link supposed to provide contrary evidence? [/B]

I said,

“I agree, they might not develop a god.
But some (the more intelligent) would realise that a superior being is responsible for theirs and everythingsexistence.
Ask Newton and Einstein.”

Einstein says things like,

"When the solution is simple, God is answering."

and,

"True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness."

I did not say Einstein believed in a personal God, you assumed.
But Einstein did believe in God, His impersonal aspect, which would have been the correct path for a true scientist.

quote,

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. The religion which based on experience, which refuses dogmatic. If there's any religion that would cope the scientific needs it will be Buddhism...."

Pantheist. belief in many or all gods, or the belief that God exists in and is the same as all things, animals and people within the universe

How do you make Einstein out to be “very obviously pantheistic?” :confused:
Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
How do you make Einstein out to be “very obviously pantheistic?

pantheism
\Pan"the*ism\, n. [Pan- + theism.] The doctrine that the universe, taken or conceived of as a whole, is God; the doctrine that there is no God but the combined force and laws which are manifested in the existing universe; cosmotheism.
I do not believe that the basic ideas of the theory of relativity can lay claim to a relationship with the religious sphere that is different from that of scientific knowledge in general. I see this connection in the fact that profound interrelationships in the objective world can be comprehended through simple logical concepts. To be sure, in the theory of relativity this is the case in particularly full measure. The religious feeling engendered by experiencing the logical comprehensibility of profound interrelations is of a somewhat different sort from the feeling that one usually calls religious. It is more a feeling of awe at the scheme that is manifested in the material universe. It does not lead us to take the step of fashioning a god-like being in our own image-a personage who makes demands of us and who takes an interest in us as individuals. There is in this neither a will nor a goal, nor a must, but only sheer being. For this reason, people of our type see in morality a purely human matter, albeit the most important in the human sphere. - Einstein

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/~lesikar/einstein/personal.html

I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable. It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. I have no possibility to bring the money you sent me to the appropriate receiver. I return it therefore in recognition of your good heart and intention. Your letter shows me also that wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/~lesikar/einstein/personal.html

He was, quite obviously, a pantheist. This of course is irrelevant, as Einstein demonstrated no special proof of God at all. Such was merely his personal belief and citing Einstein is simply an appeal to authority.

~Raithere

Jan, Rait,

A little more on Einstein’s atheism.

Taken from - http://www.korrnet.org/reality/rc/1998_summer/einstein.htm

In the summer of 1945, just before the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Einstein wrote a letter stating his position as an atheist, in response to Ensign Guy H. Raner's letter inquiring about his religious views. Four years later, Raner asked Einstein for further clarification (perhaps, he wondered, Einstein had meant, by "atheist," a non-Catholic; e.g., an orthodox Jew, or a Deist). Einstein's answer is given in a 2nd letter to Raner. He stated, "You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

In the well-known biography, Albert Einstein, Creator and Rebel, by Banesh Hoffmann (1972), the author quotes most of Einstein's 1945 letter, but maddeningly leaves out Einstein's statement, "From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist." Hoffman's biography was written with the collaboration of Helen Dukas, Einstein's secretary. Freeman Dyson (in 1996) notes "that Helen wanted the world to see the Einstein of legend, the friend of school children and impoverished students, the gently ironic philosopher, the Einstein without violent feelings and tragic mistakes." Dyson also notes that he thought Dukas "profoundly wrong in trying to hide the true Einstein from the world." Perhaps her well-intentioned protectionism included the elimination of Einstein as atheist.
There is also this interesting, and seemingly impartial perspective from the Unitarians.

http://www.johnbisom.com/ReligionOfEinstein.html

A final quote by Einstein –

" The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, or the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge." Albert Einstein

Cris

Originally posted by Teg
Outside observers also introduce bias. People are more likely to see in favor of the arguer whose belief system is similar. Long relationships with others also introduce rose colored sentiments. Your words mean nothing as they come from an impartial perspective.

Been busy for a while...but belief system? Are you trying to say I have the same "belief system" as him? I hope not because that is an assumption. How would you know?? I look at an argument based on logic, evidence, and people claims backed by their facts, not assumptions. So I'm very fair, even if I know Chosen for a long time, if a person is wrong, a person is simply wrong. I'm a very understanding person. Must I point out what Chosen has already pointed? You may be a pretty smart debater(ha i'll give you that), as in the way you put things, but sad to say, you just assume too much. Keep your beliefs and assumptions to yourself thank you. Because it fairly has no substantial ground in an argument. My words may mean nothing to you if you think so.

How so "beaten" am I? I simply did not wish to restate my proofs. It was the inability to make his case that damned your friend. All of my arguments had support from multiple impartial observers. He had Jan.

Chosen has pointed out most of your assumptions so I will not waste my time.

Me: Point A and point B as previously displayed. Please accept or refute these.
~The_Chosen~: Teg is the ad hocism master. Cite it ! Give me some cites!

Here's the way I see it :D

Me: Point A and point B as previously displayed with my assumptions. Please accept or refute these. :eek:
~The_Chosen~: Teg is the ad hocism master. Cite it ! Give me some cites! (still waiting for cites)

Why won't you just answer Chosen's questions and shut him up then?? Because you really can't.

Dark Master, the last say is only a matter of obdurate behavior.

Sorry if you assume from me that it is obdurate behavior, but it isn't. I just stated my view on the matter, I believe no wrongdoing was in on my part.

It has no intrinsic value in a conversation, especially when the person in question would rather ignore what you say. If ~The_Chosen~ is your idea of even a sufficient arguer, then you are susceptable to suggestion. That was the same garbage he was trying to sell me. Were you among those he converted?

Ignore what you say? Sorry, don't really want to look like I am taking sides, but Chosen as I see so far pointed out almost everything of yours, hardly trying to ignore anything.

Having his writing style, as well as arguing for him, as well as being twins in the area of emotiocon usage was a clue. ;)

S'okay, nobody can resist the power of Sciforums for long.

pantheism
\Pan"the*ism\, n. [Pan- + theism.] The doctrine that the universe, taken or conceived of as a whole, is God; the doctrine that there is no God but the combined force and laws which are manifested in the existing universe; cosmotheism.

Hi Raithere, Thanks for the more precise meaning of pantheism. Within that explanation there are so many differing beliefs which could have roots in pantheism, but at the last moment change in other direction. While it has a meaning in the literal world and could get you good marks in exams (should the question arise) I prefer to dig deep into what Einstein actually said.

Einstein did not believe in a personal god;

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty."

And quite right too.

What he is saying here is he does not believe in the god portrayed by the institutionalised religions, he understands that kind of a god to be ungodly and therefore not God. This is understandable as the church, mosque or synagogue (in general) does not follow the commandments of God or the teaching of Jesus, with any real conviction
In fact Jesus heavily chastised the institutionalised religion of the day by creating havoc in the synagogue.

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. The religion which based on experience, which refuses dogmatic. If there's any religion that would cope the scientific needs it will be Buddhism...."

Here is a key to Einsteins beliefs. Buddhists do not believe in God as a person. A Buddhist is regarded as an “atheist” because they do not believe in a personal God, but they believe they are the soul/liforce and the body, just a vessel, is the cause of all anxieties.
I understand him to be an atheist, but not in the way that you and people here are atheists.
According to past debates I don’t see how you could see him as an atheist.

It is more a feeling of awe at the scheme that is manifested in the material universe. It does not lead us to take the step of fashioning a god-like being in our own image-a personage who makes demands of us and who takes an interest in us as individuals. There is in this neither a will nor a goal, nor a must, but only sheer being.

If you read my earlier post you will notice that I said Einsteins path was the correct one for a man of science. For him to accept anything as fact, it has to be proven, God is beyond matter and can only be percieved at best (materially) through high intelligence.

"True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness."

You see, here he says that “true religion” is, (something which I have been trying to get a debate going for a long time on this board) is real living, not the names.
He doesn’t believe in the institutionalised religions (names), but believes there is a “true natural religion” but the laws set by these institutions makes his status atheist.
If you were to ask most fundamental christians or moslems, I would be demonic/atheist because I don’t follow their religious doctrine.
But here it is clear that he has some sort of faith beyond microscopes and bunsen burners.

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

As you highlighted this part, it must mean that you feel confident that this confirms his status as modern day atheist, let take a look.

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.

The fact that he stresses he has never denied it, must mean that there was some controversy over his belief, so we can conclude that he has a belief, just not one of a personal god. This is befitting a man of his position.

If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

Here he uses the term “unbounded” which means having no bound or limit; as, unbounded space; This shows his humility, in my eyes, he has come to the conclusion that he doesn’t know, I suppose you could say that he is agnostic, and in a sense we are all agnostic as nobody knows everyything, but personally I wouldn’t use those limited names to describe him. Then in the same breath he says “so far as our science can reveal,” so he has resigned himself to being a “scientist” which means he cannot move to the next stage of “faith.”

"Intelligence makes clear to us the interrelationship of means and ends. But mere thinking cannot give us a sense of the ultimate and fundamental ends. To make clear these fundamental ends and valuations and to set them fast in the emotional life of the individual, seems to me precisely the most important function which religion has to form in the social life of man."

Here it is clear that while he does not see himself as a religious man, he recognises that real religion must play a part in forming the social life of man.
To get a clearer understanding of the divisions of social and occupational life as set down by God for man, you will get the full information in the Bhagavat Purana. As Einstein was a lover of the Bhagavad Gita, he would have some understanding of the real/natural social structeres.

This of course is irrelevant, as Einstein demonstrated no special proof of God at all.

Demonstrated no special proof of God?
Exactly what do you mean?

Such was merely his personal belief and citing Einstein is simply an appeal to authority.

So ones personal belief is not important then, it is not the very fabric of an individual?

While Einstein , compared to me, is an authority in the field of physics, I would kick his ass when it comes to laying down some fat grooves. I do not see him as an overall authority, more a bright individual in his particular field, hence I respect him. However, you see him as an authority, and as you don’t understand the spirituality as set forth in the scriptures, you may understand Einsteins take on it, which I find very vedic at times.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Xev
Having his writing style

I don't believe we have the same writing style...do we??? I believe we share the same views on some of the issues we discuss.

as well as arguing for him

Arguing for him...hmm...yes I've known him for a long time...but that doesn't particularly mean I am always on his side. Only thing that I wouldn't argue for him is when he is wrong. That is the truth and I am fair. He makes many points, some may be wrong, but I only side with the ones I believe are valid.

as well as being twins in the area of emotiocon usage was a clue. ;)

Ha...hmmm...you amaze me though Xev, you earn the respect you deserve. Because you believe you are on to something, but you will see it is something unique about us two that confuses many to mistaken us for one. :D Let's see if you can figure it out. :p

But there is one fact and I promise you it is true. I am not Chosen. You are on the right track, but on a wrong train that doesn't know its direction. But honestly, I am not Chosen. I swear to every 'God' there is ;)

S'okay, nobody can resist the power of Sciforums for long.

Umm...true, after Chosen showed me how Adam, Joeman, and you ;) refused and dismissed his advice as iniquitous, discreditable, and scandalous for no apparent reason because you disbelieved in it. And in believing that way, it is only forcing your beliefs on another, and that is misjudging. I was just tempted to help him prove otherwise. :)

Still believe we are the same person? Can you make another guess, maybe you'll hit it right. But I'll only let you know that I have known him my entire life.. But here in your sentence ( I thought you figured us out :bugeye: ), is the one key word you will find to explain everything about us.

as well as being twins in the area of emotiocon usage was a clue.

I think you'll be smart enough to figure this out ;) I even asked Chosen myself what if forums do find out what we are. He just said tell'em the truth, for it is better then being mistaken for the same person. Unfortunately he's in Minnesota right now for a conference...

Was it because I stated that I have been busy, since I did not reply in a couple of days, that you believe I was Chosen??? Because he stated he will be away for a week in another thread.

Last edited:
Cris,

Thanks for the additional quotes. I hadn't seen that before. Still, I think that he fits well within some definitions of Pantheism; note that when he defines himself as Atheist he must include a modifier. Once again, categorization fails.

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
Within that explanation there are so many differing beliefs which could have roots in pantheism, but at the last moment change in other direction. While it has a meaning in the literal world and could get you good marks in exams (should the question arise) I prefer to dig deep into what Einstein actually said.

I agree, and I think that trying to label him as this or that actually does him a disservice. More and more I come up against the fact the harder we try to nail down specific definitions and categorizations the more the real world slips away from us. Such are useful for communication but never truly identify reality.

What he is saying here is he does not believe in the god portrayed by the institutionalised religions, he understands that kind of a god to be ungodly and therefore not God. This is understandable as the church, mosque or synagogue (in general) does not follow the commandments of God or the teaching of Jesus, with any real conviction.

I understand that this is your interpretation of what he said in respect to your own beliefs but I think you're reading an awful lot into this particular statement. Indeed, Einstein had issues with institutions in general but I think he was being quite specific here in that he did not believe in a "personal God" at all rather than a statement against the institutions of such religions.

I understand him to be an atheist, but not in the way that you and people here are atheists.

Don't presume to know the extent and nature of my beliefs, they are quite a bit more complex than just "I don't believe in God." ;)

According to past debates I don’t see how you could see him as an atheist.

I do find that he fits the category of Atheist but also of Pantheist and probably Agnostic as well. While he stated directly that he did not believe in a personal God that involved himself with humanity he had a definite belief in an underlying order to the Universe. Of course, he was also proven to be somewhat wrong in this belief. His repeated comment, "God does not play dice with the Universe." was in specific reference to some aspects of Quantum Physics, which have remained despite his objections.

But here it is clear that he has some sort of faith beyond microscopes and bunsen burners.

Yes, he believed that there was an inherent order to the Universe.

As you highlighted this part, it must mean that you feel confident that this confirms his status as modern day atheist, let take a look.

Personally, I find that Pantheist describes him most accurately but please recall my observations above regarding categorization. The thing I find most amusing is that everyone tries to make some claim on his beliefs.

Here he uses the term “unbounded” which means having no bound or limit; as, unbounded space; This shows his humility, in my eyes, he has come to the conclusion that he doesn’t know, I suppose you could say that he is agnostic, and in a sense we are all agnostic as nobody knows everyything, but personally I wouldn’t use those limited names to describe him. Then in the same breath he says “so far as our science can reveal,” so he has resigned himself to being a “scientist” which means he cannot move to the next stage of “faith.”

I agree.

As Einstein was a lover of the Bhagavad Gita, he would have some understanding of the real/natural social structeres.

Interesting, do you have any sources regarding this?

Demonstrated no special proof of God?
Exactly what do you mean?

I mean that his beliefs, regardless of what they were, are merely his personal supposition. As far as I know, he gave no proof or even a complete argument but simply stated his own subjective beliefs as such.

So ones personal belief is not important then, it is not the very fabric of an individual?

No, personal belief is critical for the individual. What I'm saying here is that, even if we could easily define Einstein's beliefs, using his belief as verification of that belief is simply an appeal to authority, it is not a valid argument.

However, you see him as an authority

Only in the realm of physics. Not in the realm of Theology.

as you don’t understand the spirituality as set forth in the scriptures, you may understand Einsteins take on it, which I find very vedic at times.

Please don't assume what I do or don't understand.

~Raithere

Originally posted by Raithere
I understand that this is your interpretation of what he said in respect to your own beliefs but I think you're reading an awful lot into this particular statement.

He says…..

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty."

Indeed, Einstein had issues with institutions in general but I think he was being quite specific here in that he did not believe in a "personal God" at all rather than a statement against the institutions of such religions.

Then why would he describe the imagined god as one who rewards and punishes?
Isn’t this the bulk of argument for christians and atheists?
If you go one step further he makes it quite clear that he doesn’t believe in a personal god because of specific reasons. The same reasons why people argue.
There would have been no need to make that statement unless he was opposed to something and that something just happens to be institutionalised religion.

Don't presume to know the extent and nature of my beliefs, they are quite a bit more complex than just "I don't believe in God." ;)

Do you believe in God?

Yes, he believed that there was an inherent order to the Universe.

That’s a good place to start.

The thing I find most amusing is that everyone tries to make some claim on his beliefs.

It is not a matter of making claims, but understanding what he said. It is definitely in the interest of the modern day atheists to claim Einstein, one of the great logical thinkers, an atheist, but his thoughts are not those of modern day atheists.

Interesting, do you have any sources regarding this?

Not at hand, but I will post some as soon as I find it.

Please don't assume what I do or don't understand.

Please accept my apologies.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Back