Are you atheist, and have you used cocaine

• I became atheist after/during a period when I was drug taking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
John99 said:
what "lack of god" gene?

Good remark. As has been stated before in this or the other thread. Mice that lack this gene are not viable.

The 'researchers' in question didn't analyze whether or not there was this gene present in religious and non-religious people. No they tested the immunoreactivity.

That translates into: they had an antibody against the protein (not gene) or actually just a part of this protein) and they found that religious people on average showed a stronger reaction to this antibody. I assume all humans have the gene.

Obviously this whole notion is a complete rip off of one of my own ideas:

http://www.spuriousmonkey.com/lectures/lectures/036.html

I asked about the orginal reference in this or the other thread (don't make two threads on the same topic if you don't want confusion) of this research and none was given. I would have liked to have examined the methods.

Now we are discussing something that isn't real. Just a press release.

spuriousmonkey said:
Good remark. As has been stated before in this or the other thread. Mice that lack this gene are not viable.

The 'researchers' in question didn't analyze whether or not there was this gene present in religious and non-religious people. No they tested the immunoreactivity.

That translates into: they had an antibody against the protein (not gene) or actually just a part of this protein) and they found that religious people on average showed a stronger reaction to this antibody. I assume all humans have the gene.

I asked about the orginal reference in this or the other thread (don't make two threads on the same topic if you don't want confusion) of this research and none was given. I would have liked to have examined the methods.

Yeah you and a million others idea, you really are a self lover dude.

spuriousmonkey said:

Indeed it is odd that he has written an entire book on this topic but no papers found, perhaps it is because he wants you to buy his book?

Anyway I also do not see that his methods were conclusive. And I said so in other thread. You not been reading my replies SM? :bugeye:

I think humans are predisposed to have a 'need' for an omnipotent being but can't see how Doc made this leap to pinpointing the god gene. Maybe I just need to buy that book? ..............................

(Doc can send commission to ToR PO box1213231231)

you don't need a "god" gene to see the suffering in the world and realise that no such "powerful" and "loving god" would ever allow such injustice, and undeserved suffering.

theist: "oh god loves me, god loves ME, i mean, just forget all those kids with terminal illnesses, cause god loves ME"

Huwy said:
you don't need a "god" gene to see the suffering in the world and realise that no such "powerful" and "loving god" would ever allow such injustice, and undeserved suffering.

theist: "oh god loves me, god loves ME, i mean, just forget all those kids with terminal illnesses, cause god loves ME"

that is your representation of god, not mine. How do we learn from mistakes and aspire to be better human beings if God cleans up our shit. Does your father love you less because he won't pay off all your debts and screw your wife so you don't have to?

Theoryofrelativity said:
Indeed it is odd that he has written an entire book on this topic but no papers found, perhaps it is because he wants you to buy his book?

Anyway I also do not see that his methods were conclusive. And I said so in other thread. You not been reading my replies SM? :bugeye:

I think humans are predisposed to have a 'need' for an omnipotent being but can't see how Doc made this leap to pinpointing the god gene. Maybe I just need to buy that book? ..............................

(Doc can send commission to ToR PO box1213231231)

It may just be a correlation ToR. With 80% of theists worldwide, what are the chances of his being absolutely right? And statistics can be really tricky.

I wonder if the 17,000 odd starving children who die each day possess the god gene?

Sock puppet path said:
In that case it is imperative that we rush all available cocaine to the middle east and the red states!

Pakistan currently has the fatsest growing rate of cocaine use and higher rate of problems etc. .

In response to the original question

It's irrelevant, what's important is 'does religion cause loss of faith in cocaine?'

Worrying

Godless said:

Reason in what? I do believe scientists will never be able to prove what happened in the begining of time. Many scientists have "Faith!" in different theories. Same as religion, they just don't believe in someone more powerful then theirselves.

Both sides of the spectrum have no "reason".

I'm neutral anyhow, but trying to state that there are "obvious" reasons that god doesn't exist always gets to me.

People believe the world started from something in all faiths(religious, non religious, scientific, ect.) So saying that any side is the perfect truth seems quite ignorent in my opinion. All sides are simply putting their faiths in different perspectives.

I myself believe in a single/multiple higher power. I have had experiences in my life time that have "proven" to me that there is a "higher power". Even if it would mean that I was simply on a show like in "The Truman Show". Which, by the way, is a pretty funny movie in my opinion.

I do believe scientists will never be able to prove what happened in the begining of time.

Who says time had to have a bigining? Why not always existed, the only thing that had a begining is one's conscious.

Both sides of the spectrum have no "reason".

Not really one tries to live by objective principles while the other tries to live by fantacy.

I'm neutral anyhow, but trying to state that there are "obvious" reasons that god doesn't exist always gets to me.

The only obvious reason here is "EVIDENCE" Theist lack the evidence that an entity exists, yet alone they can't even identify the godamn thing! :rolleyes:

Godless said:
Who says time had to have a bigining? Why not always existed, the only thing that had a begining is one's conscious.

Not really one tries to live by objective principles while the other tries to live by fantacy.

The only obvious reason here is "EVIDENCE" Theist lack the evidence that an entity exists, yet alone they can't even identify the godamn thing! :rolleyes:

That's one theory that's different from having a begining. But, it also has no proof. There is nothing but faith in that.

You're trying to tell me that because somebody believes in a higher being that it's "fantasy". Yet, your "fantasy" world where everything already existed, is in fact, the same type of "faith" in something that cannot be proven.

A true scientific non-believer doesn't believe in anything but his own theories. Because, of course, there is no proof of anything else being right. Unless, of course, someone elses theory sounds closer to the truth. Most of the times they won't even have theories about the "begining" of the world, simply because there isn't enough to base their facts on.

So, in the end, they simply don't claim to believe one thing or another. They're simply athiest, pure and simple(that's right, no faith in any kind of begining. A true athiest without faith.) Not because they've proven god doesnt exist, but because they have no evidence to believe in such a being.

You keep trying to state that theist lack evidence, but umm, so do you. Can't you see that? :bugeye:

That's one theory that's different from having a begining. But, it also has no proof.

I see that your behind in cosmological knowledge perhaps you should study some bit. Proof is for my liguor, evidence however is being presented that the universe had no big-bang origin.

You're trying to tell me that because somebody believes in a higher being that it's "fantasy"

Without evidence what else is it?

Yet, your "fantasy" world where everything already existed, is in fact, the same type of "faith" in something that cannot be proven.

Your lack of study in cosmology is apparent. Try and reasearch "Plasma Cosmology" in Google this will get you up to speed.

A true scientific non-believer doesn't believe in anything but his own theories.

That's a laugh, That's not being scientific at all but just as delusional as the idot spouting some supernatural enttiy exists because he dreampt it. :rolleyes: All scientific discoveries, theories, hypothesis, has to be presented under pier review by other scientists.

They're simply athiest, pure and simple(that's right, no faith in any kind of begining. A true athiest without faith.) Not because they've proven god doesnt exist, but because they have no evidence to believe in such a being.

I think that you are confusing the term atheist. Atheism is not about belief in wether the universe had a begining or not, or that a fact can be proven or that even god exists. Atheism in it's true meaning of the word is "WITHOUTRELIGION" No were in there is their a belief that there is no god, it's we lack the "faith" you have that such an entity exists, because theist have failed for over 2thousand years to present emperical evidence. Thus we don't have "faith" in theistic assertions.

You keep trying to state that theist lack evidence, but umm, so do you. Can't you see that?

But you lack to understand that I'm not the one making extraordinary claims for which requires evidence. :rolleyes:

Huwy said:

only the good die young...uhhh by your own hand does not count :D

the only reason i responded to this thread was because having done extensive research of substance abuseres i know this to be false.

Godless said:
I see that your behind in cosmological knowledge perhaps you should study some bit. Proof is for my liguor, evidence however is being presented that the universe had no big-bang origin.

Your lack of study in cosmology is apparent. Try and reasearch "Plasma Cosmology" in Google this will get you up to speed.

I see. This was not a subject I knew about when I was going to school. I thank you for giving me something else to read and find out about. I suppose I'll be back after cross-examining different references. :D

The thing I've always loved about science is the fact that they keep everything in "theory" form till it's a proven fact. They do have that step above religion.

As a side note: Do you believe in other life forms? If yes, do you believe there are more intelligent life forms then human beings?

Last edited:
Cocaine, like other addictive drugs, blocks the ability of spiritual senses and retards spiritual growth.

See the film "the Exorcism of Emily Rose". there is an interesting discussion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back