Cocaine causes LOSS of faith in God

Are you atheist, and have you used cocaine

• I became atheist after/during a period when I was drug taking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
imaplanck. said:
In other words USA has 91-96% theists and their is indeed a psycological need for god?
WHERE WERE YOU GUYS WHEN I WAS TRYING TO MAKE THIS ARGUMENT AGAINST 4-1 SAYING I WAS TALKING BUNK?

what thread was that?

anyway I want all atheists to step forward and let me know if they have taken cocaine or other in their life time.

Theoryofrelativity said:
what thread was that?

anyway I want all atheists to step forward and let me know if they have taken cocaine or other in their life time.

No. I always have been an atheist and although it is rumoured that in Holland babies are spoonfed with heroin and cocain from the age of 3 months it is actually not true.

Theoryofrelativity said:
interesting, so what is responsible for your lack of God gene?
No I didn't make myself clear, obviously.
I was trying to make the point to these 3 or 4 people that there is a need in the brain for god(therefor a genetic transference from parent to child would follow).
I WAS THE ONE ARGUING FOR A GOD GENE(ALTHOUGH NOT IN SO MANY WORDS) TO THESE GUYS WHO BELIEVE RELIGION WILL DIE OUT SOON.
Im 100% in agreement with YOU.

imaplanck. said:
No I didn't make myself clear, obviously.
I was trying to make the point to these 3 or 4 people that there is a need in the brain for god(therefor a genetic transference from parent to child would follow).
I WAS THE ONE ARGUING FOR A GOD GENE(ALTHOUGH NOT IN SO MANY WORDS) TO THESE GUYS WHO BELIEVE RELIGION WILL DIE OUT SOON.
Im 100% in agreement with YOU.

sorry I was being ambiguous, I can see you are agreeing, BUT meanwhile you are atheist, so I am now curious to know why? ie absence of god gene or other?

Theoryofrelativity said:
sorry I was being ambiguous, I can see you are agreeing, BUT meanwhile you are atheist, so I am now curious to know why? ie absence of god gene or other?
Oh I see sorry. I would say the gene was of varying degrees of magnitude(as it were) or even non-existent in some. I must be an individual who inherited a weak god gene or non at all. I would say this was because my ancestors were of a small minority(of the worlds population) to which religous behaviour would of constituted scant advantage in survival.

imaplanck. said:
Oh I see sorry. I would say the gene was of varying degrees of magnitude(as it were) or even non-existent in some. I must be an individual who inherited a weak god gene or non at all. I would say this was because my ancestors were of a small minority(of the worlds population) to which religous behaviour would of constituted scant advantage in survival.

Myself I have no religion and no desire for one, but do believe in God (not Christian or any other God, just God, an interfering influence in my life.

Background, grandmother very Catholic, Grandfather very Jewish, so hereditry gene perhaps present? Hence in absence of any religious upbringing or indoctrination I still believe in God.

But I also know God to exist in my life so maybe the gene makes God more apparant to those that have it and not so to those without?

I think it's more likely that any serious ecstatic experience tends to erase cultural programming.

spidergoat said:
I think it's more likely that any serious ecstatic experience tends to erase cultural programming.

Well the medical facts are that these drugs erode the sensibilities, reduce abilty to feel pleasure and pain...

spidergoat said:
Why cant you entertain the idea that religous programming is only a part of why religion has endured so well.
You pure nurture guys get on my nerves.

Theoryofrelativity said:
Myself I have no religion and no desire for one, but do believe in God (not Christian or any other God, just God, an interfering influence in my life.

Background, grandmother very Catholic, Grandfather very Jewish, so hereditry gene perhaps present? Hence in absence of any religious upbringing or indoctrination I still believe in God.

But I also know God to exist in my life so maybe the gene makes God more apparant to those that have it and not so to those without?

I cant name a single member of my family that is religous.

Theoryofrelativity,
I don't refute that long term use is harmful, I'm just talking about the effects of a transcendental ecstatic experience...

Imaplanck,
I'm aware that people follow religion for many reasons, some of which may be deeply personal and not conditioned by culture. Some native Americans use certain cacti as an integral part of their religion. However, to someone who hasn't really been that introspective, any extreme experience can cause them to rethink their basic assumptions.

Theoryofrelativity said:
I refer you to the thread in 'human science' forum re the 'God gene' VMAT2

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1111948#post1111948

and this here

"Impairment and Dysfunction
Cocaine users display a marked reduction in VMAT2 immunoreactivity. Suffers of cocaine-induced mood disorders displayed a significant loss of VMAT2 immunoreactivity, this might reflect damage to striatal dopamine fibers. These neuronal changes could play a role in causing disordered mood and motivational processes in more severely addicted users."

How many of you atheists were theists before you started using cocaine? Ever wondered if your change was less to do with 'seeing the light' and more to do with you damaging the ability to do so.
Theists don’t need to use mind-numbing drugs because they are already addicted to religion.

“….the opium of the masses.”

Is this some childish lame attempt to blame atheism on drug abuse and make it seem like it’s a “dysfunction”?

The most pathetic minds I’ve ever met were the religious kind.
Dull witted, regurgitating thoughts and mimicking behavior, with a half-wits sarcastic, self-righteous smirk plastered on their faces.

More pathetic than the drug addict because at least the drug addict knows he’s under the influence and why.
The religiously inebriated mind thinks it is clear and healthy and deserving of eternity.

Satyr said:
Theists don’t need to use mind-numbing drugs because they are already addicted to religion.

“….the opium of the masses.”

Is this some childish lame attempt to blame atheism on drug abuse and make it seem like it’s a “dysfunction”?

The most pathetic minds I’ve ever met were the religious kind.
Dull witted, regurgitating thoughts and mimicking behavior, with a half-wits sarcastic, self-righteous smirk plastered on their faces.

More pathetic than the drug addict because at least the drug addict knows he’s under the influence and why.
The religiously inebriated mind thinks it is clear and healthy and deserving of eternity.

I have no religion and all my friends and loved ones are atheists so that would be a no.

I came across the cocaine link to MVAT2 when researching MVAT2, as I was making a god gene thread I thought I'd throw a little controversy into the mix. I laid it out and in you fell.

Regardless, if MVAT2 presence enhances the 'faith' system of belief, and cocaine reduces it, then there is no reason why I should not ask the question if any atheists became so after drug abuse.

Last edited:
spidergoat said:
Boy are you misinformed.
Huh? I used cocaine for a while until about 6 months ago, and I've NEVER haulucinated from it. What are you talking about?

Theoryofrelativity said:
interesting, so what is responsible for your lack of God gene?

what "lack of god" gene?

Huh? I used cocaine for a while until about 6 months ago, and I've NEVER haulucinated from it. What are you talking about?

Long term use cause's the user to see things that arent there, like bugs, shadows but nothing extravagant. I guess this is a result of the brain speeding along at 10000mph(flashing) and losing perspective more than hallucinations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back