Christians & Infidels: why do Infidels seem to understand Xnty better?

tiassa,

Having just a couple of minutes right now:

***Loyola is operating according to the a priori that God exists; furthermore, Loyola is advocating a sacrifice of the intellect, that is, a forsaking of the intellectual process as regards one's faith in God. Your error is in presuming Loyola takes his faith seriously enough. The assumption that God exists is ... well, merely an assumption.***

What you are looking for is not seriousness, then, tiassa. What you are looking for is someone who has found objective proof according to "your" standards. You are the only one who can do that.

Actually, Blonde Cupid

I'm just looking for some integrity among Christian faith.

It's so rare. Given how Christians treat society, I would hope they could be honest once in a while. The world gets better when we are not duplicitous.

I shall continue to hope, despite two-thousand years to the contrary.

--Tiassa :cool:

Originally posted by tiassa
So there is the vagary of my current take on the issue of why the infidels often appear more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues than the Christians.

Of course, I'm just me, so let's hear about it.

Anyone? Anyone?

I think it is as simple as the more you learn about Christianity and the history of it, the less you are inclined to fall prey to the dogma.
The more you learn, the more aware you become, the less likely you are to believe in what goes against what you have learned.

Wow ....

Did you see this in the "Active Users" page? I stumbled across the topic by accident while Googling and spent a short while reading through it ... I'm stunned to find it awake after this long.

And that's a very good point, by the way.

Re: Wow ....

Did you see this in the "Active Users" page?

Yeah.
I probably spend more time on that page than I do surfing the forums.
Whenever I get bored and no one has posted in a while, I look to see what everyone (that isn't hidden) is doing.
I wish less people were hidden.

I didn't even realize how old it was until I just checked after you were so surprised to see me posting on it. :)

And that's a very good point, by the way.
Thanks.

Re: Re: Christians & Infidels: why do Infidels seem to understand Xnty better?

Originally posted by one_raven
I think it is as simple as the more you learn about Christianity and the history of it, the less you are inclined to fall prey to the dogma.
The more you learn, the more aware you become, the less likely you are to believe in what goes against what you have learned.
----------
(There, by the grace of God, am I.)
----------

One Raven

It occurs to me to wonder if your point doesn't lead to an anti-identification in the sense of, Once we know enough that we will not submit to the fraud, why do we continue to seek? Why continue gaining knowledge of Christianity if we already know enough to protect ourselves from conversion?

And that's where I fear a running anti-identification. I, myself, carried it as a banner for years before figuring that part of it out. I tore into the histories and philosophies with a vengeance, ready to rip apart this monster that dared dream of crushing humanity beneath its heel.

But it doesn't suffice for me personally, anymore. I have all sorts of pseudo-romantic reasons, quasi-uplifting and hopeful reasons, but none of them characterize the situation well. I even have some ridiculously noble ideas which bear elements of truth but haven't the consistency of practice to make a good assertion.

But I got to thinking about it today while reading a short page on dogma. Why does it matter more to me to understand the intricacies of the faith? If it's merely the human puzzle, there are equally fascinating and far-more productive puzzles I could turn my attentions to.

It should be noted, however, that much of this topic has been demonstrated to be weakly-founded; it's been a rough period for the infidel voice at Sciforums. There are some strong ones, some clear ones, but not nearly as many as this topic would imply.

That wasn't so true when it was written.

Back