Christians & Infidels: why do Infidels seem to understand Xnty better?

tiassa,

***You could well have reserved your further commentary on Mensa until you had your statistics straight.***

Excuse me?

***I was hoping more that you would address the question of why you introduced stupidity and idiocy. You know, cite what you're talking about.***

Read your own introductory post which introduces those questions.

tiassa,

***As you pointed out, if they were "knowledgeable" by your standards, they would believe.***

As you pointed out, if it were as important to them as it was to you, they would appear more "knowledgeable"...

Well ...?

Excuse me?
Well, where's that citation?
Read your own introductory post which introduces those questions.
Do you have a moral or a functional problem citing the text to which you refer? Or would you rather I just guess what you're talking about so you can always whine that, well, that wasn't what you were talking about?
As you pointed out, if it were as important to them as it was to you, they would appear more "knowledgeable"...
And your point being?

What I'm telling you is that if Christians took their religion seriously instead of merely attempting to affirm their indoctrination and prejudices, then they would come off as more knowledgeable. Your first post in this topic was hilarious in that sense; I thank you for so deftly illustrating the point.

However, what you seem to tell me is that only if you believe it to be true can you see it to be true. Typically speaking, we study something and form conclusions about it. Not the other way around.

Thus, you're just another Christian telling me that the answer to the question is to not ask. Good show, mate ....

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

tiassa,

***Well, where's that citation?***

I'll admit that I could have missed something... What citation are you looking for?

tiassa,

***Do you have a moral or a functional problem citing the text to which you refer? Or would you rather I just guess what you're talking about so you can always whine that, well, that wasn't what you were talking about?***

I cited the source. It's your first post. If you have a problem understanding what you wrote, ask dan1123. If I remember correctly, he made reference to it earlier and he might be willing to engage in your silly little game.

tiassa,

***What I'm telling you is that if Christians took their religion seriously instead of merely attempting to affirm their indoctrination and prejudices, then they would come off as more knowledgeable.***

Oh. If they spread the propaganda more seriously they'd come off as more knowledgable?

***Your first post in this topic was hilarious in that sense; I thank you for so deftly illustrating the point.***

My first post was a mere gentle satirization of comments you made in your first post. I'm surprised that you found it so hilarious. You ought to get out more.

tiassa,

***Typically speaking, we study something and form conclusions about it.***

Reportedly, that's what Loyola did. It didn't do him any good in your eyes, though, did it?

The problem of a priori

A note to Dan1123

As a side note, this is why "preconception" doesn't work in the place of a priori.

Loyola's "logic" and "spiritual exercises" all revolve around at least one a priori: that God exists. To the prior argument goes all subsequent arguments. The preconception can be corrected; the a priori is maintained even in the face of evidence otherwise.

The a priori of Creationism, for instance, is that the Creator exists. I can't figure out why else the creationist posters are so reviled by the idea of having to scientifically prove the idea that God exists before their theory has scientific validity.

If it was a mere preconception that the Bible was true, one could be easily persuaded by the evidence. Clinging to Biblical principle a priori, however, leaves creationists saying silly things like they can prove scientifically that the Universe was deliberately designed without showing any evidence of the designer.

thanx,

tiassa
"If it was a mere preconception that the Bible was true, one could be easily persuaded by the evidence."

Why would it be easy to prove an ancient document is true? Don't archeologists spend countless hours trying to verify the historicity of any ancient writing? Usually, it is a piece of cake to see the difference between a legend and a true story. Legends make the central character absolutely likable, shoving off the hard edges, and shoving off as many facts as possible as well. The good parts of the character are shown all in a positive light and expanded beyond reason. However, the Bible doesn't quite fit into the definition of a legend. The respected people of the time are against Jesus, and Jesus says some harsh things. As well, the closest followers to Jesus are shown more as dense and frightened. Many hard edges are still there. Jesus does not take over governments, nor does He seek any fame. And when He tames the sea, that's it. The gospel accounts don't give Him accolades for anything, but treat it more as an objective, third person account. Without the miracles, this would be seen as an obviously historical account. This may be why some scholars try and remove all the miracles and claims of divinity to attempt to find some "historical Jesus". Yet to remove the miracles and claims of divinity, is to also remove the reason for His execution and subsequent following.

"...are all merely personalized expressions, thus removing the credibility of an asserted truth."

What are you saying here, that nothing said by someone out of personal experience is true? The gospels claim to be from eyewitnesses, or from interviews with eyewitnesses. Eyewitness accounts are what you want to establish that something really happened, and the more the better. You can't verify any historical fact with the scientific method. You can't even verify what your were doing a week ago with the scientific method. The best you can do is find some sort of evidence or something one wrote down, and consider it as a detective would.

As for your creationist claim, creationists are trying to prove that they have the most reasonable explanation of the universe. This includes the argument that God existing is a reasonable conclusion for the complexity of the universe. It took a long time for a scientist to be "reasonably atheistic". I think it was the early twentieth century when enough scientific theories were accepted to make God "unnecessary". However, there are still many troubling, unanswered questions in science and very many coincidences that make a purely evolutionary approach to the universe problematic. Usually, evolutionary arguments dance around the problematic areas (origins and biodiversity) and focus on some bone similarities or slight adaptations witnessed within a species. Creationists are guilty of focusing so much on the Bible that they are hampered by their own limited understanding of the text.

A priori would only truly apply if there was truly no hope of finding any evidence that God really exists or the Bible is really true. It does not apply when there is some evidence, and the verdict may go either way.

2 notes

Dan11123

(1) If it was mere preconception that the Bible is true, one could easily be persuaded (away from the Bible) by the evidence.

Apologies for misunderstanding. A preconception can be cleared up more easily than the a priori.

(2) What hope is there of finding God and proving the Bible true?

thanx,

I didn't know preconception had an implied weight. I guess it does on further consideration, but the weight of a preconception varies significantly in its use today.

"What hope is there of finding God and proving the Bible true?"

That wasn't the point. Proving one way or the other quickly becomes subjective because different people weigh the evidence differently. That does not exclude evidence in favor or evidence against. Just as in a murder trial there is many times evidence in favor and evidence against. One may consider the evidence compelling either way. Therefore, proving God exists is at an impasse. What one considers a huge amount of evidence against is not considered huge by another who considers other evidence hugely in favor.

Yes, Blonde Cupid, that's intelligent

Blonde Cupid
I cited the source. It's your first post. If you have a problem understanding what you wrote, ask dan1123. If I remember correctly, he made reference to it earlier and he might be willing to engage in your silly little game.
Do you see the little word up there that says, quote? It's real simple; on one end of a citation, put the word quote inside hard brackets (not parentheses) ... on the other end of the citation, put the flag /quote inside those brackets. What you put in between is the text you wish to address. Heck, I was happy with your little block-citations inside asterisks (***). At least then we knew what you were addressing.

Like I said, I think I know to what you refer, but I'm not going to answer your generalizations on the grounds that, if it is what I'm thinking, you're way out of line.

In the meantime, I could just remind you all that God lied, the Serpent told the Truth, and merely leave it to you that I've cited it; I've told you it's in the Bible. :rolleyes:

Address the specific portion of the text or get over it.
Oh. If they spread the propaganda more seriously they'd come off as more knowledgable?
Are you, then, admitting that the truth of Christianity is mere propaganda? I mean, that's pretty much what you wrote.

That pretty much settles it right there, doesn't it? Thank you for that.

--Tiassa :cool:

We had the thread about God lying and the serpent telling the truth last year, and I made the argument that the serpent implied we would have the power along with the authority of God, and God said we would get the authority but not the power, and sever our relationship with Him, in a never-ending death (moth tamuth). It is only a poor understanding of Genesis that leads you to believe we got any knowledge, or will not suffer in precisely the way it is described to the people contemporary to the text.

the skepticsannotatedbible.com site is laughably ridiculous to me. It has even weaker arguments than the ones I challenged the Bible with when I was an atheist.

tiassa,

***Address the specific portion of the text or get over it.***

I addressed it and was done with it quite a few posts ago, tiassa. Here's as explicit as I can get: I'm not playing your silly little game.

***quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you, then, admitting that the truth of Christianity is mere propaganda? I mean, that's pretty much what you wrote.***

No. The truth is the truth. What I meant was, in other words, you're talking out both sides of your mouth. Out of one side you complain about people not taking their faith seriously, yet, out of the other side you accuse those who demonstrate that they do take their faith seriously (such as Loyola) of spreading propaganda.

Dan, a question. Did you put the holy books of Earth's thousands of other religions thoruhg the same tests which you applied to a christian holy book? If not, what made you decide to pick christianity out of the hat as your religion of choice?

Originally posted by dan1123
the skepticsannotatedbible.com site is laughably ridiculous to me. It has even weaker arguments than the ones I challenged the Bible with when I was an atheist.
Good! We await your rebuttal of any or all of the arguments. The choice of argument to address, I leave to you.

In other words, Blonde Cupid

I addressed it and was done with it quite a few posts ago, tiassa. Here's as explicit as I can get: I'm not playing your silly little game
In other words, you have no point? Then shut up about it. :rolleyes:
No. The truth is the truth. What I meant was, in other words, you're talking out both sides of your mouth. Out of one side you complain about people not taking their faith seriously, yet, out of the other side you accuse those who demonstrate that they do take their faith seriously (such as Loyola) of spreading propaganda.
Indoctrination is indoctrination. Loyola is operating according to the a priori that God exists; furthermore, Loyola is advocating a sacrifice of the intellect, that is, a forsaking of the intellectual process as regards one's faith in God. Your error is in presuming Loyola takes his faith seriously enough. The assumption that God exists is ... well, merely an assumption. All Loyola's philosophies are built from that a priori that God exists and work merely toward affirmation in faith. A further problem is the assumption that the existing God is that of the Bible. It's mere faith. Tell me, Blonde Cupid, does any affirmation of your faith not involve your perception of dishonesty in people? You seem so anxious to find some subterfuge in objectivity. Just to help clarify context--are you a believer, then, that people are born into a state of sin?

thanx,

Dan1123

Alright ... Dan1123 ... finally ;)

Might as well try to go in order, eh? Okay ... to start with your initial response ... I did, in fact, start a post, but I decided it ws far too reactionary and in the mood of what was taking place in other, more acrimonious debates. Yours is a good post; when I looked at mine and saw two sentences in the response I was writing about Camus and a long point-by-point of how Christians are a threat ... we can fairly conclude I was well off my point with that. And then this one heated up a little, so with that apologia ...

Re: Cute One Tiassa
What I really tend to wonder is why certain people here believe that Christianity is the greatest threat to humanity. People point to popularized stuff like the evolution debate, stem cell research, and stuff a few hundred years old like Galileo and the crusades.
I wanted to start with this portion of the post because I do, in fact, hear you sympathetically. However, if we look to the stuff from centuries past, and identify the faith points and human machinations involved in former atrocities, oppressions, and usurpations, and then compare those factors to the modern day, I submit that by and large the only two differences 'twixt then and now is A) a lack of true cohesion among the faithful and B) at least we aren't burning people at the stake. In this sense, we might look to the modern issues.

Abortion/Sex Ed/Sexuality: I'll start with abortion; I think we all find it tragic, even those of us who defend its place in society. A number of factors contribute to unwanted pregnancies, and in the end I think the way to "end abortion" is to manage those contributing factors. For space's sake, can we say that I've been through those factors before? Because a legal ban on abortion won't accomplish the god-willed abortion-free society. I believe in the credo, Every child a wanted child. This is best accomplished by the simple principle that every reproduction should be desired at least, if not planned in accord with desire.

Education in general helps prevent abortion just like it does crime. Give people better things to do than f--k for desperation and they're likely to be more responsible with themselves. Sexual education, however, is a stickier issue. It's hard to tell when to start educating a child about it. But, as I've pointed out from Lysander Spooner a number of times, to keep a child in ignorance of vice is merely to keep a child ignorant. Teaching children how to protect themselves against the pitfalls of nature's needs seems wise. But instead of this practical issue, Christians often resort to speculations on morality. To educate kids about their sexuality is to encourage them to have sex ... I'm not the biggest fan of condom distribution in the schools, but what those parents who object are saying, in essence, is that they do not trust their own parenting. What they're saying is that if the schools made condoms available, the parents are afraid their children will become sluts. I was lucky when I bought my first condoms. The gravelly-voiced old lady behind the counter didn't bat an eye, merely grabbed the box, put it on the counter, took my money, pulled a drag off a cigarette, and said, "Good luck, honey."

The subjective moral implications of impropriety assigned sexuality have created a number of problems. The whole broad range of things I would list here save for the fact that I think you get the point can be summed up in the fact that my first lover cried because she wasn't a virgin for me; she had been raped by her father. We, a post-Puritain society, are thoroughly obsessed by sexuality. What, pray tell, did we accomplish spending forty-million dollars on fellatio? Where does this obsession come from? Well, insofar as I can tell, it comes from the Christian experience in the United States.

Or the anti-gay crusade ... suffice to say that I don't understand how letting gay people get on with their lives is going to hurt anyone. It's not going to "make your kid gay" so to speak. If your child is gay, your child is gay; the functional difference becomes whether or not your child is allowed to sort out the emotions involved with that one. Someone once cited here, in a debate about sexuality, that homosexual teenagers kill themselves more often than heterosexual teenagers, and that this fact made homosexuality dangerous. Well, you know ... it's kind of hard when everybody makes you the butt of their jokes simply because they aren't smart enough to have a better sense of humor. For instance, when was the last time forty-nine per cent of your neighbors voted to remove your civil rights? When has Christian or straight ever carried the same negative connotations as faggot? Who was the last person pistol-whipped and left to die specifically for the crime of being heterosexual?

Bearing that this is just a part of the response to your post, I beg your further patience.

Stem-cell research: Well? When one works toward an immoral cause (e.g. continued suffering for lack of medical technology) by opposing the reduction of suffering, I consider that harmful. I might point out that the site did once (at least) debate stem-cell research and it was pointed out by the research supporters that new techniques would eventually eliminate the moral/ethical question posed. A few months later, scientists announced progress toward the elimination of the necessity of aborted fetal tissue. We're not there yet, but we're getting there. And the only people who don't want to get there are religious people who put their god and their salvation before the lives of others. I do consider this harmful.

Evolution/creationism: You know, I don't even know where to begin. Suffice to say that, of those creationists who wish scientific acceptance of their proposals, should try a method that does not involve rewriting the scientific process to accommodate unobservable, subjective data. In the end, in order to scientifically prove that God created the Universe, the creationists will have to scientifically prove that God existed at the time of creation. This, as most of us accept, is an impossibility on any number of levels. Certes, there's a possibility in the utmost metaphysical, and therein we see the key: can the creationists transform the metaphysical into the actual?

In the meantime, creationists are calling for the essential destruction of the scientific process in order to make their theology a science.

In other words, all scientific progress should be endangered simply so that we can let the Christians feel good. You know, I just don't see the Hindu League down protesting to the school board that the Hindu mythology isn't considered scientific fact.

How long and hard have we worked for cures to certain diseases? Now, according to the creationist standard, we can just shrug, say that it's scientifically proven to be God's will since we obviously haven't beaten cancer yet, and walk away in the faith that we are loved.
But just this week a person shot a pastor in the U.S. and another lobbed a grenade into a church in Pakistan--killing five I believe
I'm afraid I don't get the connection. So let me take a couple of swings at it in case I do.

(1) I would first question if you truly believe these incidents have anything to do with Christianity per se? I recall the shooting in New York, and I don't recall hearing that it was particularly connected to anything. I could be wrong about that. Of the Pakistani attack ... was it religious or political? I share my government's opinion (a rare occasion?) that the Pakistan grenade attack was against the US, and not against Christianity. However, I see how that might not be the point.

(2) Violence is right now because people have no better way. I'm not sure what else to say on that point, so ...

... I'm afraid I don't get the connection to the idea that Christianity is dangerous to humanity.
We have the contrast recently of the Taliban government and how their citizens were treated, but we fail to see the contrast between it and the U.S.'s freedoms (at least I have seen people say that lowering restrictions on FBI wiretaps will make the U.S. into a similar theocracy).
Um ...

Is the best we have the best we can do?

I always ask that question on the occasion of these kinds of comparisons. However, as has been pointed out by another poster at least, many many Christians are working to undermine those very freedoms you mentioned.
Then, most recently, we have the Pope finally speaking up about some of his preists doing horrible acts against kids. Of course, the media definitely isn't letting the church off the hook for that, showing hourly reports and making sure the whole country knows. The Catholic church is now paying for what happened.
I sympathize with Christianity in the fact that it doesn't reflect much about Biblical faith. It does, however, reflect much about dogma. I've pointed out Edwardianism and Victorianism before, juxtaposed the sexual repression and the chaos it caused ... in this case, I think the celibacy of the priests has bitten the church in its hindquarter.
But in all, do these seem like a threat to humanity?
In the long run, yes. Christians can adapt. There's no argument there. We see the evolution of doctrine and dogma, the changing and diversifying of beliefs. I've pointed out, in recent discussions of Muslim violence that Islam, technically, is six-hundred years younger than Christianity. And then I point to Christianity six-hundred years ago. Now ... what caused that change? Economy? Education? In my most sarcastic, I say that Muslims take God more seriously. What I mean by that is that, in the US at least, Christians have found things more important to them than God--money, prestige, fame ....

So in that sense, Christians are just like any other human beings. That they use their Constitutionally-protected doctrine to attempt to raise their social authority through the law is a problem and a threat. After losing the Oregon War, the OCA turned and put up a new ballot measure to amend the Oregon constitution to declare that God exists. It's a crock.

You know ... by any measure of propriety, I carry my own bag of improprieties. I'm a human being; of course we're all imperfect. But what I don't do is make it my religion and try to find ways to make it my right to be improper at other peoples' expenses. I saw what happened in Oregon; God help His flock if that ever happens again. It was the most evil spectre I've ever stood face to face against, and that includes the hail of gunfire. (Seriously, though ... at two-hundred yards in the dark emptying fifteen rounds into the woods ... you ain't hitting me.)
If the entirety of Christendom was set out to make an army to overthrow the world, would it not have enough now?
Judging by the way the world reacts to military usurpation these days ... quite frankly, if a Christian army were to try to overthrow the world it would be the final enactment of the sacrifice of the intellect. The world would, at that point, play the endgame.

But the Christians do try to use their numbers to control society. Ballot measures in the US ... ask any Brit about plantation theory and what it brings .... Part of it is that Christians in the US aren't used to not having the standard of the law on their side. To wit: Clothing-optional towns. Why do you have to write a law specifically to license people to conduct themselves in the state God delivered them to the world? In matters of expression and art, it was the NEA hearings after the Serranos and Mapplethorpe blowups that finally did it. After hearing about Christian values from that day forward (conservative legislators aimed their wrath at the NEA and Andres Serranos in year-2000 legislation pertaining to indigenous tribal diabetes research) the generation that was apparently so stupid that a song about the evils of alcohol could make us want to commit suicide started coming to certain offices of power. Christians who are detecting the erosion of their presupposed standard are fighting back, attempting to legislate their morals through the sheer number of Christians in the country. It's quite a site; one of my great faiths in Christians as human beings is that the OCA never has won beyond citywide elections.
Even the President of the United States, with the U.S. armed forces at his command is a Christian.
I know. I'm a pacifist so all warfare brings distaste, but this holy war is absolutely repulsive. If he hadn't stooped to bin Laden's level and made it about God, I would have much more respect for the current action. Of course, he doesn't want to include prenatal care in public healthcare unless we first recognize his theological position as fact ... his attorney general trying to publicly finance Christian activities ....
Don't try to argue that the current stuff is on the scale of taking over the world.
Well, I'm not expecting a three-day coup. But the simple fact is that liberty is a proven benefit in this world, and Christians work against it.

Hmmm ... the president wants to inject his theology into the government of the most influential nation in the history of the world; no, it's not taking over the world, but it's a duplicitous attempt to spread Christian faith through the government. Does that mean that since it's only a small impropriety, I shouldn't care?
The entire war effort is at most a sideline in the U.S. interest and economy, and the actions carried out have not been on a truly large scale
At present. Remember, Bush threatened the whole world. As a matter of opinion, who are we going to bomb next?
One thing, about Christian condemnation. I'm not so sure what the big deal is about someone condemning someone else. If the Christian idea of God is wrong, then what weight does a figment of someone's imagination judging you have?
I would ask Brian Moch and Hattie Cohen for their opinions of the weight of someone's imagination judging them, but they're dead. In 1992, amid a Christian-sponsored ballot to suspend civil rights based upon the gender of one's sexual partner, someone convicted these two of being gay and threw a firebomb into the house.

And there is another issue. I don't know, Dan1123, it seems to carry an awful lot of weight right now. Think about it this way, and it does require some imagination. Just stop and think for a moment as if you were gay. And one day you wake up and the best efforts of your neighbors and fellow citizens has protected your civil rights by a 2% margin; that is, 49% of the people in your community think that you should not be allowed to have a job, your first amendment rights, or equal protection under the law merely because you're gay.

That's a hell of a lot of weight, Dan. In Oregon we fought hard. And we won. Two people died needlessly and the electoral fight went on for another eight years. At present, nobody's sure what the next step is, as we haven't heard a peep out of the Oregon Citizens' Alliance for several months now.

Or those who would, were you gay, take away the benefits you earn at your work. Pretty heavy.

Would you like me to rehash the morbid stories about the number of sexually-abused children I knew who never told anyone what the problem was until they were ready to check out for good, and who never told anyone because they learned that God says you shouldn't say bad things about your parents. Effing heavy, I might say. But I only felt it from my end; it seemed pretty bad, but you never know--they might have enjoyed the suicidal tendencies.

Okay, that last one was harsh, but I do want to convey that this figment bears much weight in the world.
I think these all stem from the people here living in a Christian-saturated nation (the U.S.) and seeing how Christians among Christians become lazy in their faith ....
I will leave this entire paragraph without comment, Dan. I think you're nailing the concept pretty much dead-on at that point.

I'm going to hope for some sense of continuity; unfortunately, this post took hours due to interruptions, so I hope it doesn't seem to jagged. I'll try to be quicker with the other responses.

thanx,

Back