Christians & Infidels: why do Infidels seem to understand Xnty better?

Blonde Cupid

I await your citation.

The next thing I'm going to ask you to provide, once you find some numbers which help support your point, is your opinion of Mensa's position on God.

Your arrogant faith response and the paucity of your Mensa citation, as well as your inability to react with anything other than superstition and pride, only serve to illustrate the point raised by G0D, which I find a curious reflection of something I've wondered about for a while.

Your continued method of response only enacts my point: But we, who do not believe the dogma, study the scripture in an attempt to reconcile the dogma to the scripture. The Christian, who believes dogma, studies the Bible in an attempt to reinforce dogma with scripture.

thanx much,
Tiassa :cool:

this isn't about Mensa

I think what is at issue here is what one wishes to believe versus what is true. If you are a Christian, a person who can quote scripture and ponders the aspects of God's love in Jesus and relates that back to scripture is one who knows very much about the Bible. To the "infidel" this is unimportant. If you are an infidel, a person who knows what the Bible says on moral and philosophical issues relating to humanity, and further illustrates how these conflict or relate to other philosophies, religions and myths is one who knows very much about the Bible.

These relate to each party's desires. The Christian desires to grow in his or her relationship with Jesus, so a greater understanding of His love is paramount. The infidel desires to relate one religion's holy book to the rest of philosophy and humanity, so an understanding of the Bible's (and Christianity's) morals, philosophical conclusions, and history is what is paramount.

Calling the other person stupid, though, hardly increases the understanding of anyone.

Dan, I agree it isn't about Mensa

Dan1123

That's why I'm trying to show that introducing Mensa as evidence of Christian intelligence is a bad idea.

I do intend to give more thoughtful responses to your now two posts in this topic. I'm not ignoring them, I'm mulling them over. In the meantime ... I also wanted to throw a hearty agreement behind your statement, I think what is at issue here is what one wishes to believe versus what is true.

That might apply on about seventeen different levels; I think you're quite correct on that point.

thanx,

Dan,

***Calling the other person stupid, though, hardly increases the understanding of anyone.***

I agree. However, it appears that stereotypically disparaging the intellects of persons of faith is simpler and more important to certain self-proclaimed infedels than is a genuine attempt at understanding.

That is why I attempted to show that introducing alleged stupidity, idiocy and sacrifice of the intellect on the part of Christians/people of faith is not only a bad idea - It is easily falsifiable.

Thanks.

Blonde Cupid

That is why I attempted to show that introducing alleged stupidity, idiocy and sacrifice of the intellect on the part of Christians/people of faith is not only a bad idea - It is easily falsifiable.
What I don't get, Blonde Cupid, is why you recoil at the idea. It's supposed to be part of the Christian calling. It means believing on faith instead of intellect. It means trusting God and Jesus and the Bible instead of calculations and intellectual processes. It is the essence of faith, believing without proof.

Your self-excoriating, sarcastic post is a wonderful illustration of it. You know you're right, but you can't figure out how, so you just believe and go about having your frustrated little tantrum. At least, that's what it looks like. I think it's one of the funniest things you've written, but it's up to you whether you really want to feel that way.

I'm still awaiting your citation. But what's even funnier is that, while you might be able to improve the ratio a little, it still serves against your original point for introducing it.

You did ask an interesting question, though:
It must be a miracle that, as intelligent as they are, they still believe, huh?
Not at all.

If introducing stupidity and idiocy is a bad idea, then why did you do so?

thanx,

tiassa,

***If introducing stupidity and idiocy is a bad idea, then why did you do so?***

You introduced it, I addressed in rebuttal.

I'm experiencing a crossover moment

Blonde Cupid
You introduced it, I addressed in rebuttal.
If you're going where I think you're going with that ....

Well, why not? Show me.

Go ahead and cite it and address it as you see fit. I know you understand the principle of citing and responding, you've done it before.

Go for it. You think you have some point and I disagree. But here's the thing; I only think I know to what you refer. If you would like me to respond to something specific, please point out what that might be.

In the meantime, why don't you answer the question?

thanx,

Faith and "acting on intellect" are not mutually exclusive. Faith means to have a confident belief in in the trustworthiness of something. Acting on intellect is weighing out evidence and coming to a conclusion. Once someone acts upon their intellect, they can have faith in their own reasoning abilities and the reliability of the evidence. What tiassa tends to call the "sacrifice of the intellect", other people may call "coming to a conclusion".

There are many things that you have to admit to if God exists. Among which is that He can do what He pleases, and what He does may not make sense to someone here without the perspective which God has, nor the knowledge of the afterlife. Even if God acts upon the greatest noble principle, He can be seen as a horrible being by a human because of our limited perspective--just as children can believe that their parents are mean even as they are showing the greatest care. I have seen many people try to use arguments that only make sense if God does not exist--or if He is a fiction made up by humanity. Arguments like if God can do anything, can He make a square circle? The answer of course is that the definition of a square excludes it from being circular as well. It is like saying can there be such a thing as a black white? The definitions of black and white make it meaningless. If God was merely a philosophical construct, maybe such a question could be entertained.

tiassa,

***The next thing I'm going to ask you to provide, once you find some numbers which help support your point, is your opinion of Mensa's position on God.

Your arrogant faith response and the paucity of your Mensa citation, as well as your inability to react with anything other than superstition and pride, only serve to illustrate the point raised by G0D, which I find a curious reflection of something I've wondered about for a while.***

Mensa, as a group, does not take a position on God* or any other faith belief or lack thereof. It is my opinion that Mensa, as a group, is very wise in doing so. As demonstrated by the diversity of beliefs among its members whose IQ's are all at or above the 98th percentile among the population, belief, or lack of belief, does not rest with an individual's intellect as you imply. It rests with the individual. It is particular to the given individual. It is personal. It rests with the individual virtually irrespective of their intellect or what you see as stupidity or idiocy. We use our intellect to consider complex matters and we reach our own subjective and philosophical conclusions all the time. Ironically, it is your own subjectivity and philosophy which seems to be causing you to disparage others. Have you sacrificed your intellect as part of the process?

Perhaps you feel that you are sacrificing your intellect in your relationship with your goddess. I don't know. If so, then that's all well and good if that's what you feel you need to do. However, there is nothing to substantiate that such a process must be applied to a group or to the population of believers in general.

***How many religions are there in the U.S.?

That is an impossible question to answer. Definitions of many religious terms are ambiguous. There is no consensus on the meaning of words such as "religion," "denomination," even "Christianity."

Some people consider Christianity to be a single religion. Others say that it consists of two religions: conservative Christianity and liberal Christianity; these share almost nothing in common and are so different that they might count as two religions. Some would point to the Encyclopedia of American Religions which lists 1,584 religious organizations in the U.S. and Canada, from A Candle to Zotheria; most are Christian.

Some people would consider Wicca to be a single religion. Circa 1950, there were two main groups within Wicca: the Gardnerians and the Alexandrians. Since then, the religion has proliferated. The members of tens or hundreds of thousands of individual covens have developed their own variations of Wicca. And there are hundreds of thousands of Wiccan solitary practitioners, each of whom follows their own unique variation of Wicca.

So, in North America, Christianity is somewhere between 1 and about 1,200 different faith groups, while Wicca numbers somewhere between 1 and many hundreds of thousands. The total number of faith groups in the U.S. cannot be calculated; the value depends upon exactly how one defines "faith group" or "religion." Perhaps we can say that every person's religion is somewhat unique. Thus there are over 200 million religions in the U.S.***

www.religioustelerance.org/us_rel.htm

If I could interject here, I believe it was blonde-cupid who came up with the issue of tieing in religion to intellect. Her intended method was to provide the mensa stats. However, it only served to contradict her own issue.

And since she did not provide the link re: stats, I decided to search for it. I thought a search in google for "mensa religion statistics" would turn it up. What turned up is info which is in exact opposition to blonde-cupid's stance, some of which I reproduce here.
Speculations might be somewhat hazardous, but at first glance, it is very tempting to infer that the brainier we are, the less likely we are to rely on conventional religious answers, or any religion at all. But it could be just a strong indicator that we tend to be more independent, rejecting the authority of God and Church in order to adopt some form of personalized spirituality instead. But considering the strong Christian tradition in Canadian society, it is curious that so many of us have obviously rejected our childhood faith in favour of atheism, agnosticism, apathy or just plain indecision.
Excerpt from #1 result - http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/mensagod.html
The consensus here is clear: more intelligent people tend not to believe in religion. And this observation is given added force when you consider that the above studies span a broad range of time, subjects and methodologies, and yet arrive at the same conclusion.
#2 result http://www.objectivethought.com/atheism/iqstats.html

The 2nd site also has an extensive list of studies done on the topic of religion and intellect.

I'd invite anyone who's interested to repeat the search, and see the results for yourselves.

+++++

But, back on topic - ie. why is it that ppl who are informed about x-tnty, turn out to be against it?

Originally posted by G0D
Tiassa has outlined his experiences with x-tianity and they seem to be more than superficial. Judging by that, and the depth and content of his posts, I'd say that he does not merely "just appear more knowledgable".

What has been your association with your faith, blonde-cupid? Why not tell us? Demonstrate that you are "actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues".

Tell us about the extra-biblical and theological stuff you know about. Use it to counter Tiassa whenever he throws them your way.

Aside from dogma and "faith", what have you to show that you are "actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues"?
items in " " are from blonde-cupid's earlier post.

I think that the answer to the issue here is that the more intelligent a person is, the more self-sufficient the person feels. Therefore, the intelligent person would not care about religion, and could easily believe the people who say that religion is for the weak. The whole thing becomes circular. The intelligent person who doesn't care about religion looks at the less intelligent or less educated person who had more of a need and therefore sought out help from it. The intelligent person concludes that since many of his peers shared his apathy about religion, that only the weak-minded believe.

So then, these people of like minds rearrange this to mean that only a moron could believe in God, or practice religion. In reality, people who feel self-sufficient seek out religion less because they feel less of a need. Also, atheism tends to prop up one's own sense of self-sufficiency. If there is no God, then one can believe that there is really no one better than oneself. For those people, to come to believe in God is a humbling, and possibly humiliating experience. Therefore, some actively lash out at those who try to convince them of God's existance. (and some may lash out at me for postulating this)

GODx,

***If I could interject here, I believe it was blonde-cupid who came up with the issue of tieing in religion to intellect.***

Your belief is unfounded as this appeared in tiassa's opening post:

***Camus simply because I consider it the most dangerous book in the world and I don't trust the Christian "sacrifice of the intellect" to perceive it properly.***

I did not realize that it wasn't easy to find the Mensa link. I'll get it for you and post it here momentarily:

Well this is not the exact same site I pulled the info from yesterday but I hope it will do...

www.mensa.org/demographics.html

Last edited:
Sacrifice of the intellect

Blonde Cupid

You continue to focus on the sacrifice of the intellect; at no time will you witness me retreating from this stand.

You could well have reserved your further commentary on Mensa until you had your statistics straight. I was hoping more that you would address the question of why you introduced stupidity and idiocy. You know, cite what you're talking about.

As to the sacrifice of the intellect, as I admitted to LivingSacrifice in his thread regarding why people dislike Christianity:
You'll note the number of disparaging comments at Sciforums about the "Christian intellect", and, yes, I'm one of the chief proponents of that phalanx. Of course, I get my phrase, that faith is a sacrifice of the intellect, from the Christians, so I have no difficulty bandying it with reckless disregard.
Why are you so upset about a phrase coined by a Christian? For instance, as Camus notes, in Myth of Sisyphus:
What is perceptible in Leo Chestov will be perhaps even more so in Kierkegaard. To be sure, it is hard to outline clear propositions in so elusive a writer. But, despite apparently opposed writings, beyond the pseudonyms, the tricks, and the smiles, can be felt throughout that work, as it were, the presentiment (at the same time as as the apprehension) of a truth which eventually bursts forth in his last works: Kierkegaard likewise takes the leap. His childhood having been so frightened by Christianity, he ultimately returns to its harshest aspect. For him, too, antinomy and paradox become criteria of the religious Thus, the very thing that led to despair of the meaning and depth of this life no gives it its truth and its clarity. Christianity is the scandal, and what Kierkegaard calls for quite plainly is the third sacrifice required by Ignatius Loyola, the one in which God most rejoices: "The sacrifice of the intellect". This effect of the "leap" is odd, but must not surprise us any longer. He makes of the absurd the criterion of the other world, whereas it is simply a residue of the experience of this world. "In his failure," says Kierkegaard, "the believer finds his triumph." (28)
Your thoughts?
So, in North America, Christianity is somewhere between 1 and about 1,200 different faith groups, while Wicca numbers somewhere between 1 and many hundreds of thousands. The total number of faith groups in the U.S. cannot be calculated; the value depends upon exactly how one defines "faith group" or "religion." Perhaps we can say that every person's religion is somewhat unique. Thus there are over 200 million religions in the U.S
Does this mean that we get to put the Mensa numbers to rest? After all, by this standard, the numbers are invalid.
It rests with the individual virtually irrespective of their intellect or what you see as stupidity or idiocy.
An excellent point, Blonde Cupid. That's why we judge intellect by action and result. Should we assume that Christians in Mensa behave like some of our posters on this board?

And here we chase after a vital question: from birth, some Christians are taught to believe before they understand. As noted: they study scripture in order to reconcile it to the dogma they've already received via indoctrination. Like that hilarious University of Oregon story I related to LivingSacrifice. The argument essentially went:

• Christian: Homosexuality should be illegal because it says in Leviticus that God hates homosexuality.

Tiassa: In lieu of that, what do we do about the disabled? After all, God does say, in Leviticus, that they are not to profane what He has made holy.

• Christian: Ephesians! Put on your armor!

It was, as I noted then, quite the display of ... uh ... intellect.

Basically what happened is that Christian with a bender against gays sought Biblical justification, using a law code which includes rules invalidating the Americans With Disabilities Act (recall that the Old Testament contains no advice to render unto Caesar). When presented with an equally-controversial portion of the same law code in the Bible, the Christian had no intellectual answer, no deft interpretation of the Old Testament to offer, but merely a frustrated call to arms.

Why, do you think, God rejoices in the sacrifice of the intellect?

The sacrificed intellect does not learn for learning's sake; it learns for faith's sake. That is, the sacrificed intellect does not seek to discover whatever is there, but rather seeks to discover what it already believes is there. Unlike an intellectual inquiry, the sacrificed intellect does not rely on the observable, but instead on the subjective. Thus, among sacrificed intellects we hear of natural phenomena being classified as angels, worshipers praying to road signs, creationists calling for a rewrite of the scientific standard to include a specific a priori and no other, individuals and organizations who seek equality through the establishment of Christian superiority ....

Perhaps it doesn't sound complimentary to your ego. It wouldn't to mine, either. But the Christian faith is one you seem to have chosen. This is not necessarily something I can help; I mean, I suppose I could, but I'm not sure we would have the same definition of "help" as applies to the situation.

You know, one does not necessarily need God to perform the algebraic vector equation to tell you where a theoretic mass is going to land after being thrown. But when it comes to the public (social) sphere, we see a tremendous inhibition against intellect.

Not all sacrificed intellects are going to be dysfunctional; by and large we see that so long as the society reflects Christian values as policy, Christians can function quite well. But at the same time we have a bunch of Christians running around telling us that keeping children ignorant is protecting them, that superiority is equality, and so forth. Should I assume that the "silent majority" of "smart Christians", while they don't agree with them, are unwilling to correct them in their erroneous paths? Or shall I assume that the "silent majority" (if, for instance, these people are fringe-cases, as is often alleged in the defense of greater Christianity, despite other evidence of such trends running deeply through the faith) is afraid of the erroneous ones? Or is the "silent majority" of Christians merely cowardly and in agreement with their bolder-spoken brethren?

Of course, if we apply individualist religion, the entirety of the Christian minority disappears. Of course, that's a lot of churches to build.

What has you so upset about a Christian term for faith? That I treat it negatively? I think Christianity is negative. I think the quality of the sacrificed intellect is actually a detriment to the individual and the community.

Besides, you don't take anything I say sincerely, so why bother about this phrase? Is it pride? Do you somehow feel you need to defeat this notion? Do you somehow feel you need to sweep away the idea that Christians have faith in their Bible, their God, or their Redeemer? Or do you think you finally have cause to get up and rumble? After all, from your first point you've only shown that you've missed the point. As you pointed out, if they were "knowledgeable" by your standards, they would believe.

We can take this two ways: First, we can look at it as if it says that the knowledgeable ones already believe it true before they look. Secondly, we might look at it as if once someone reads it and becomes knowledgeable, the faith becomes irresistible. I must put the second option aside, for I see it nowhere in evidence. What seems to be the consistent point out of Christians is that one can only know if they decide before they look that it's true.

Which leaves us with the idea that the knowledgeable ones already believe the Bible true. That is, they do not read it with open critical thinking skills, but with sacrificed critical thinking skills. Thus, that the dogma and the Bible don't match up creates a flabbergasting difficulty. The shattered body Christian cannot hold together. People take their camps according to faith. Thus "Christian" or "Catholic" or "Mormon"? Thus Lutheran or Missouri Synod? Which kind of Presbyterian? Or Baptist? Are gay people allowed, or do they have to become heterosexual? What about the second-marriage adulterers? Do they have to get divorced or annulled?

The a priori acceptance that the Bible is true pretty much invalidates the intellectual process.

Tell me, Blonde Cupid, do you have faith? Do you believe in God? Or do you have some objective proof of God that you've experienced that you're keeping to yourself?

What objective proof do you have that Jesus Christ will Redeem you? Or do you have faith?

thanx,

a priori...

tiassa
You said:
"The a priori acceptance that the Bible is true pretty much invalidates the intellectual process."

Which implies that every Christian first believed that the Bible is true, then went along to read it and figure out what to do now that the decision had already been made. This is not the case with me. I put the Bible and Christianity through rigorous tests when I was an atheist. I came to believe what it said when it started passing all of the tests I set before it--and went beyond merely passing in many ways. So after testing that went on for several years, I decided that Christianity was true and got baptised.

As far as homosexuality goes, and you coming across some people out to try to hurt others in the name of Christianity, you might like to know that the ancient Jewish courts would not convict someone to a stoning death unless the homosexual act was performed right in front of them in the court. Otherwise, one could just move to a different city and do whatever without fear of punishment. This was how the Leviticus law was interpreted. Anyone who hunts down a homosexual today is doing far worse than the ancient Jewish people even with a capital sentence in their law.

Lastly, why do you keep using a priori? Wouldn't the word preconception or the like do just fine in these instances and be more clear to the people with whom you're trying to communicate?

No one seems to be responding to my points. Should I suppose I have dumbfounded everyone with my logic?

Anybody?

Fine, here's a response.

That was quite interesting about the old law, way back when. Might research that stuff further some day.

What sort of tests did you perform which could possibly validate or verify the stuff contained in the christian bible?

Thanks for the reply... I was hoping my earlier three would get more of a response than they did.

I don't have too much time to talk about the tests that I put the Bible through, but many can be placed under the heading of "B.S." tests. If it even appeared that the Bible wasn't being forthright in its claims, or dodged questions, or tried to make someone believe in a logical contradiction ("pain is not pain") then it would fail the B.S. test. If the religion did not go back to the beginning of humankind and have evidence of a following back to the beginnings of archeology then it would fail. If it tried to deny any self-evident reality then it would fail. If it made a claim that something would happen at a specific time and it didn't then it would fail.

I didn't consider what I call "emotional arguments", because I consider them worthless. "Emotional arguments" are things that primarily pander to emotions rather than logic. Like saying Jesus was a mean guy for causing the fig tree to wither. Who cares? It's just a stupid fig tree. We chop down more trees for junk mail.

I have to go for now, I may post more later as I have time to.

Actually, Dan1123

To be honest, I'm waiting until I can give your posts more serious attention. It's not you ... honest. But I've started a microcomedy inside what you, at least, are taking as a legitimate topic, and I thank you for that regard.

Nonetheless, I keep thinking I'll get to it, and then come across another chapter in this least divine of comedies.

thanx,

tiassa,

***Christianity is the scandal, and what Kierkegaard calls for quite plainly is the third sacrifice required by Ignatius Loyola, the one in which God most rejoices: "The sacrifice of the intellect". This effect of the "leap" is odd, but must not surprise us any longer. He makes of the absurd the criterion of the other world, whereas it is simply a residue of the experience of this world. "In his failure," says Kierkegaard, "the believer finds his triumph." (28)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your thoughts?***

Not that it makes much difference but... Ignatius Loyola, huh? Wasn't he an individual like the rest of us? Although he shared his faith with many, wasn't it still personal?

Perhaps he is best known for his work in education? Didn't he strive to correct ignorance among the faithful?

It's my understanding that in the Third Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises, Loyola recognized that not only intellect, but also emotion and feelings help us come to a knowledge of God* in our lives. He does caution to use intellect more reverently when communicating with God* but I do not see this as a sacrifice of the intellect.

As a matter of fact, in the Eighteenth Annotation, he notes that the Spiritual Exercises have to be adopted to the age, education and ability of the one who wishes to receive them so as not to give to one who is uneducated, or of little intelligence, things that he or she cannot easily understand and profit by.

dan1123,

You have my apologies for not acknowledging more of your brilliant responses sooner. I will be sure to comment shortly.

Thanks.

Blonde Cupid

Blonde Cupid
Not that it makes much difference but... Ignatius Loyola, huh? Wasn't he an individual like the rest of us? Although he shared his faith with many, wasn't it still personal?
Sure, sure. That's a nice response, too. I mean, by that measure, we should note that every individual involved in the Christian experience makes it personal, and therefore the credibility of the canon, as decided by individuals, the credibility of creeds, as decided by individuals, and the credibility of churches, as decided by individuals, and the credibility of gospels, written by individuals (even in the collective form), are all merely personalized expressions, thus removing the credibility of an asserted truth. I mean, sure, I'll hand you that point. As you alluded, it doesn't make much difference as far as Loyola is concerned, but it makes a huge difference, then, when we examine the eternal truth of the Bible, a most personalized document.

And such an idea fits well; I always recommend Elaine Pagels' Origin of Satan, which examines the history of the Gospels and seeks to establish some insight into their development. There is much personalization documented within those pages.
Perhaps he is best known for his work in education? Didn't he strive to correct ignorance among the faithful?
In theory. I went to a Jesuit school ... what ignorance among the faithful are we talking about? They did fine with Geography, reasonably well with History, and had splendid math, natural sciences, and music programs. But as to matters religious ... frankly the Jesuit mission may be to reduce ignorance, but its result that I observed was an exponential augmentation of ignorance among the faithful.

However, that ignorance might well seem knowledge to him. The faithful were, after all, merely retreating farther into faith; sacrificing their intellects unto God.
He does caution to use intellect more reverently when communicating with God* but I do not see this as a sacrifice of the intellect.
I think you're picking a separate issue; the sacrifice of the intellect is his issue. It's like saying that I don't see the Microsoft browser issues when I'm looking at Word. Yeah, it's Microsoft, but it's a different product.
As a matter of fact, in the Eighteenth Annotation, he notes that the Spiritual Exercises have to be adopted to the age, education and ability of the one who wishes to receive them so as not to give to one who is uneducated, or of little intelligence, things that he or she cannot easily understand and profit by.
Yes, would you like to start the topic on Loyola's spiritual exercises, or would you like an infidel to undertake that?

Propaganda has to be adopted to age, education, and ability.

Education or indoctrination?

thanx,

Back