Christians & Infidels: why do Infidels seem to understand Xnty better?

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
I would like to examine a quote from G0D in The crucifixion was a fraud
I've seen that the most ppl who are the most knowledgable about x-tianity, are invariably AGAINST it.
I bring it up because it's a point I've wondered about for 10 years, at least.

On that point I did, indeed, used to consider it a sign of inherent stupidity among Christians. But that's not necessarily the case. While I do hold that Christianity contributes to the arrest of social and intellectual development in general, we simply cannot deny that the vast numbers of idiots representing Christianity probably equal out to a proportion of the faith (e.g. in the US) that is reflective of other philosophies.

The nature of that idiocy, however, is telling. In fact, among Wiccans, until last summer, I found that 99% qualified as idiots whose philosophies were mere selfish transfers from their prior paradigm. It's almost like they changed the name and the syntax, but strive toward the same selfishness that they learn culturally.

Having said that, however, we see that the end result of it is that to call Christians exclusively idiots is to select them specifically out of the broad spectrum of human idiocies.

Hmmm .....

So what, then, is it?

And here I come across a Sciforums epiphany. Without nearly three years of almost-daily consideration of these ideas most vital to the human endeavor (given the scale of damage Christianity can accomplish and the degree of damage I perceive in the present) I could not possibly have come to this realization.

Thus, I submit the notion that the reason the infidels seem to know more about Christianity than Christians is that it is more important to us to know.

Take, for instance, the OCA or PMRC, two Christian-influenced organizations who have affected my life both directly and through the influence they have in the lives of other Christians. On the one hand is the simple establishment of rights: Christians had always presumed to have precedent in the US. Thus, of course song lyrics that a Christian mother chooses to be offended at must be prohibited, and it's not a violation of free speech. Homosexuality must be abolished, for surely the Bible takes precedent over the Constitution.

So what happens, then, is that a number of people who would have no other reason to delve into the quagmire of Christian faith do so in order to find out how to preserve liberty and equality (and, perhaps, humanity) against the Christian attack.

Once, in Catholic school, after hearing someone rant about the benevolence of God and the Bible, I spent a couple hours making a list. A few days later I started asking the Franciscan nun who was my sophomore theology teacher about points on the list. She gave me the best practical answers possible, and when I looked at her and said, It makes sense, but ..., she cut me off with a gentle nod and an, "I know, I know."

For Christianity's sake, two authors ought to be banned, at least: Camus and Hegel. Camus simply because I consider it the most dangerous book in the world and I don't trust the Christian "sacrifice of the intellect" to perceive it properly. This isn't so much a problem for the "rest of the world", but if the book is taken improperly, the end result is that the reader usually commits suicide. (As a note here, though the actual motivation for suicide is, I believe, unknown, we might look to Nick Drake, singer and songwriter most recently popularized by a horrible Volkswagen commercial; it turns out that, before his suicide, the last book Drake was reported to read was Camus' Myth of Sisyphus, the most dangerous book in the world; it took me eight years to understand and that process did, indeed, nearly kill me.) In Myth of Sisyphus, Camus' considerations of Christianity dwell on its less-than-attractive side. Considerations of Husserl and Kierkegaard, for instance ... wow.

More directly, though, GWF Hegel ought to be banned in order to protect Christianity. The demands of the invalidation of a priori within a true logical structure have wounded the credibility of Christianity in both spiritual and practical matters.

As a former Satanist, as well, I might point out that, for instance, the fraud of the Christian devil has been a fascination. And we might thank Satanism for pointing out a lesson in diversity in that case: I hadn't actually left the church, just taken up another faction. And, as anyone critical of Catholocism ought to read, the Apostolic Fathers, who shed much light on the nature of the church and its development, and the dogma that commands faith.

What happens, then, as an example, is that people advocating the "common" Christian message (politically & socially) often disagree with one another, and try to prove their point by saying the refutation is wrong because it's not "true Christianity". As a relatively neutral example: I used to hear much debate about the size of congregations. In the post-teleministry construction boom of institutions with names like "Life Church" and "Grace Chapel", these places were small arenas seating into the thousands of worshippers. This becomes almost cultish in its formality, but quite often those who believe in smaller congregations deny the refutations of public issues because ithe issue originates with that large-scale mouthpiece.

Someone once asked me to visit their church. I declined; it was during my period amid the Christian War for Oregon. I explained that I did not wish to set foot in such a condemning institution, whereupon my associate began telling me how such a condemning attitude wasn't real Christianity ... ad nauseam. In the end, I spent a good deal of time considering the point and came to the conclusion that, technically, while the message was more benevolent, my associate was just as FoS as the condemning attitudes.

Christians necessarily operate on faith. Period. But what that seems to create is an indoctrination of verses, and not of the whole. I can, for instance, hold up the fiction of Steven Brust as anti-communist. But that would be inaccurate. Brust is a Trotskyist sympathizer, and to read the passages in question in Teckla put a different context on the idea of frothing, ravenous reds. As a Trotskyist, it's an examination of the disorganization and the faults of Leninism, as I read it. The point is, though, to employ it on faith as a snippet in condemnation of the Marxist vision would be inaccurate; it is merely a factional examination.

And this is how I feel Christians treat the Bible. Compare, for instance, the points at stake in any of our debates about God's and the Serpent's honesty and integrity in Genesis with the points at stake in the crucifixion debate. Comparing those issues and the Christian response, I feel like I'm watching the Olympic Pipeline disaster. Sure, we built the pipleine, and sure it was faulted, and sure we didn't do enough to fix it because we chose not to, but it's not our fault that it exploded and killed children three miles away. Just as God is responsible for the conditions of corruption that require redemption, so, too, are the pipeline executives responsible for the conditions of corruption that proved disastrous and lethal. Yet such things are only deemed the will of the Lord in order to comfort one and appreciate His grace ... however that works out. (And, as a side note, if those children had time to see the firestorm coming up the river, I highly doubt they rejoiced at the coming of the Glory of the Lord.)

We, the infidels, have read the Christian Book. We have tried to reconcile what we perceive in its pages with either the rhetoric or the actions of the Christian body in general. We cannot. So we look closer, trying to figure out what's wrong. And then we realize that the Christians actually don't give a flying fig about what the Bible actually says, but cling dogmatically to the faith of their childhood. Thus, as the Bible shows, God wills the world to create, and sees all therefore seeing the coming fall, and approves of it, thereby requiring salvation, but reserving a judgement day on which He will lovingly those who lived according to his will. For nothing happens without God's will ....

Dogmatically, the whole thing looks like love to most Christians. Like I've said numerous times, though ... a knife to the throat in a dark parking lot ....

But we, who do not believe the dogma, study the scripture in an attempt to reconcile the dogma to the scripture. The Christian, who believes dogma, studies the Bible in an attempt to reinforce dogma with scripture. And therein lies all the difference in the world.

If, for instance, I believed dogmatically that gravity pulled me down, and that was all there was to it, what then of the larger theories of gravity that describe it differently? My definition can still be included in the larger definition, but that is unacceptable because it's extra-definitive, or something like that.

So there is the vagary of my current take on the issue of why the infidels often appear more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues than the Christians.

Of course, I'm just me, so let's hear about it.

Anyone? Anyone?

thanx much,
Tiassa :cool:

Thus, I submit the notion that the reason the infidels seem to know more about Christianity than Christians is that it is more important to us to know.

I disagree. Knowing about the massacres and contradictions in the Bible is one of the main reasons I never became a Christian.

(Plus I had a 'word of knowledge' from Cthulhu)

There are many reasons....but that is definitly one.

Most Christians become Christians at birth as their parents start taking them to church and by the time they are 5 they have belief's that are deep seeded. But the same can be said for Moslems, Jews, and Catholics. Is it a form of brainwashing????

cute one tiassa

My high school english teacher actually promoted the class to read Camus' myth of Sisyphus. There was another thing written by Camus that she had us read that she said, "touched her deeply." She said later that the reason it had touched her was because another student reccomended that to her just before committing suicide. She was a Unitarian Universalist by the way.

What I really tend to wonder is why certain people here believe that Christianity is the greatest threat to humanity. People point to popularized stuff like the evolution debate, stem cell research, and stuff a few hundred years old like Galileo and the crusades. But just this week a person shot a pastor in the U.S. and another lobbed a grenade into a church in Pakistan--killing five I believe. We have the contrast recently of the Taliban government and how their citizens were treated, but we fail to see the contrast between it and the U.S.'s freedoms (at least I have seen people say that lowering restrictions on FBI wiretaps will make the U.S. into a similar theocracy). Then, most recently, we have the Pope finally speaking up about some of his preists doing horrible acts against kids. Of course, the media definitely isn't letting the church off the hook for that, showing hourly reports and making sure the whole country knows. The Catholic church is now paying for what happened.

But in all, do these seem like a threat to humanity? If the entirety of Christendom was set out to make an army to overthrow the world, would it not have enough now? Even the President of the United States, with the U.S. armed forces at his command is a Christian. Don't try to argue that the current stuff is on the scale of taking over the world. The entire war effort is at most a sideline in the U.S. interest and economy, and the actions carried out have not been on a truly large scale.

One thing, about Christian condemnation. I'm not so sure what the big deal is about someone condemning someone else. If the Christian idea of God is wrong, then what weight does a figment of someone's imagination judging you have?

I think these all stem from the people here living in a Christian-saturated nation (the U.S.) and seeing how Christians among Christians become lazy in their faith. Whenever a group is in a comfortable majority, the group becomes lazy as a whole. Further, since Christianity is so focused on the individual (as opposed to Islam focusing on the state), trying to perceive Christianity as one unified body is like trying to reconcile the shape of a cloud. Lastly, I see little to no comprehension of the ongoing conflict in the spiritual realm that is the necessary concept of a Christian's reconciliation of a good God to the bad things that happen in the world.

*Originally posted by tiassa
I would like to examine a quote...
So there is the vagary of my current take on the issue of why the infidels often appear more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues than the Christians.

Anyone? Anyone?

Ran into some unusually potent hashish again, I see.

Granted, some unbelievers do know the Bible better than a lot of believers.
As for how unbelievers can be more knowledgeable about belief than believers is something only the goddess of hashish can "explain."

The thing to remember is that to be an unbeliever one has to have heard the same word of God as a believer.
The difference is that the unbeliever chooses not to believe it.

Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

(Hebrews 4:1,2, KJV).

*Originally posted by Xev
I disagree. Knowing about the massacres and contradictions in the Bible is one of the main reasons I never became a Christian.

Another hashish user?
Did you read what it was that you were "disagreeing" with?

*Originally posted by justagirl
Most Christians become Christians at birth as their parents start taking them to church and by the time they are 5 they have belief's that are deep seeded.

For with their hearts men believe and so attain to righteousness, while with their lips they make their profession of faith and so find salvation.
(Romans 10:10, TCNT).

A person has to old enough to talk to be a Christian, otherwise you can't make any profession with your lips.

As for how unbelievers can be more knowledgeable about belief than believers is something only the goddess of hashish can "explain."

HAHAHAHA!!! Dude, I'm gonna tease you about this crap for a while yet. :p

PS: I'm allowed to post dumb pointless crap now and then.

I am the goddess of hashish? Funny that, as pot gives me migranes....

Well, my home town is appropriate. The penalty for possession is a 25$ fine. :D

*Pounds table, singing 'Marijuana in your brain' by the Lords of Acid.*

Did you read what it was that you were "disagreeing" with?

Well, yes, I would have to read it to disagree with it. You scintillate today!

Dan:

I do not think that Christianity is the biggest threat to humanity, nor do I think that many athiests claim that at all.

However, in the US, the fundies are attacking our Constitution. They are indeed a threat.

Lastly, I see little to no comprehension of the ongoing conflict in the spiritual realm that is the necessary concept of a Christian's reconciliation of a good God to the bad things that happen in the world.

Well, of course not, as we do not believe in the spiritual realm. But, I am not sure exactly what you mean? :confused:

***So there is the vagary of my current take on the issue of why the infidels often appear more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues than the Christians.

Anyone? Anyone?***

It appears that way to infidels, well... because... they're infidels! Infidels have no religious beliefs (especially Christianity and Islam). If they didn't just appear more knowledgable, but actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues, well... then they wouldn't be infidels anymore.

tiassa,

Here are a couple of tidbits concerning the religious demographics of Americans in Mensa (from Mensa's website).

The breakdown of religious affiliation of Americans in Mensa is...

49% Christian, 3% Unitarian, 9% Jewish, 7% agnostic, 3.6% atheist, 9% no religion, 19.4% undisclosed.

Who is Mensa For?

Mensa is for those who rejoice in the exercise of the mind. If you enjoy mental challenges and revel in the interplay of ideas, Mensa is an organization that will stretch your mind and expand your horizons. Mensa is an international society that has one — and only one — unique qualification for membership: you must score in the top two percent of the population on a standardized IQ test.

What kind of people are Members of Mensa?
Mensa: We Think, Therefore We Are. Mensans are the kind of people you meet every day . . . except that they enjoy using their minds more than most. And they have IQ scores that would impress some of their neighbors!

Today there are some 100,000 Mensans in 100 countries throughout the world. There are active Mensa organizations in 18 countries in Europe, North America and around the Pacific Rim. American Mensa, Ltd. has some 150 local chapters with more than 50,000 members. Founded at Oxford University in 1946, Mensa has three stated purposes: to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research in the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence, and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members.

There is simply no one prevailing characteristic of Mensa members other than high IQ. There are Mensans for whom Mensa provides a sense of family, and others for whom it is casual. There have been many marriages made in Mensa; but for many people, Mensa is simply a stimulating opportunity for the mind. Almost certainty most Mensans have a good sense of humor, and they like to talk. And, usually, they have a lot to say.

Mensans range in age from 4 to 94, but most are between 20 and 49. In education they range from preschoolers to high school dropouts to people with multiple doctorates. There are Mensans on welfare and Mensans who are millionaires. As far as occupations, the range is staggering. Mensa has professors and truck drivers, scientists and firefighters, computer programmers and farmers, artists, military people, musicians, laborers, police officers, glassblowers — you name it. There are famous Mensans and prize-winning Mensans, but there are many, many whose names you wouldn't know.

***We, the infidels, have read the Christian Book. We have tried to reconcile what we perceive in its pages with either the rhetoric or the actions of the Christian body in general. We cannot. So we look closer, trying to figure out what's wrong.***

Keep trying. Attempts to stereotype come across as quite... uh... boring.

*Originally posted by Xev
I am the goddess of hashish? Funny that, as pot gives me migranes....

As you're reading posts, try to remember that some comments are answers to the people who wrote the original comments.
While you ARE very close to the center of the universe, you aren't at the exact center, so some comments aren't actually directed to you.

*Well, yes, I would have to read it to disagree with it. You scintillate today! *

You're quite the sparkler yourself, except that you were agreeing with it.

*Well, of course not, as we do not believe in the spiritual realm.*

So, cthulhu's a real flesh-and-blood person to you?

*Originally posted by blonde_cupid
Mensans are the kind of people you meet every day . . . except that they enjoy using their minds more than most. And they have IQ scores that would impress some of their neighbors!

Mensans aren't actually the kind of people you meet every day.
They constitute less than 2% of the population, after all.

Tony1

If you throw darts long enough, you might hit the target. I did, in fact, run across some fine, fine hashish. :D

Now, did you have a point other than validating the topic post? Thank you for that, at least.

thanx,

Why Mensa? I don't get what it was supposed to show.

Blonde Cupid

First:
It appears that way to infidels, well... because... they're infidels! Infidels have no religious beliefs (especially Christianity and Islam). If they didn't just appear more knowledgable, but actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues, well... then they wouldn't be infidels anymore
Ah, yes ... the old argument that unless you accept on faith what cannot be demonstrated, you're not being honest about it. I thank you for that all-too-common demonstration of the point. Your second post, however, raises an interesting point or two:

• How, for instance, do you think the American Mensa demographics you included reflect on the American population? Is 49% of the American population Christian? A Demographics page including data from a 1990 survey of 113,000 adults estimates the US population to be 86.2% Christian. I'm looking for more recent data, but I'm not prepared to estimate a 39+ point percentage drop in American Christianity over the last twelve years.

• Do the following disparities between the American population and Mensa have any meaning, then? (Mensa statistics reflect your data.)

- Christianity: 86.2 % of US population (1990) / 49% US Mensa population
- Atheism: 0.3% of US population (1996) / 3.6% US Mensa population
- Agnosticism: 0.7% of US population (1990) / 7% US Mensa population
- Unitarianº: 0.2% of US population (1990) / 3% US Mensa population

(º) Unitarian listed as Unitarian Universal, to distinguish, at aforementioned demographics page.

Thank you, though, for the Mensa information. It proved quite enlightening.

thanx,

Last edited:
Re: Tony1

*Originally posted by tiassa
If you throw darts long enough, you might hit the target. I did, in fact, run across some fine, fine hashish.

That dart's been hitting the bullseye since I've been here and you know it.
There is a direct relationship between the THC content of your latest purchase and the length of your posts.
Of course, there is a corresponding inverse relationship between the THC and the sense, but hey, nobody's perfect.

*Now, did you have a point other than validating the topic post? Thank you for that, at least.*

Hey, clever.
While I applaud you on your feeble attempt at wit, I should point out that your wordier posts contradict the topic post, but are an excellent gauge of the THC content of your latest acquisition.

I repeated that since the THC content was obviously quite high this last time.

*Is 49% of the American population Christian? A Demographics page including data from a 1990 survey of 113,000 adults estimates the US population to be 86.2% Christian. I'm looking for more recent data, but I'm not prepared to estimate a 39+ point percentage drop in American Christianity over the last twelve years.*

The presence of Catholics pretty much invalidates the accuracy of the 1990 estimate of Christians.
That 39% drop might be the result of excluding Catholics.
Apparently, Mensans ARE smarter than average, seeing as they can apparently tell the difference between real and at least some fake Christians.

Erratum

I have corrected the demographics link to my originally-intended page. And no, Tony1, you don't get to blame THC; OmniWeb runs so well in general that I forget I'm using a beta. I occasionally grab the wrong link with it. The largely-useless (to this debate) page which originally came up can be linked to out of the footnotes on the corrected link.

thanx,

Tony1

Does the corrected link alter your suggestion?

thanx,

Re: Why Mensa? I don't get what it was supposed to show.

Originally posted by tiassa

- Christianity: 86.2 % of US population (1990) / 49% US Mensa population
- Atheism: 0.3% of US population (1996) / 3.6% US Mensa population
- Agnosticism: 0.7% of US population (1990) / 7% US Mensa population
- Unitarianº: 0.2% of US population (1990) / 3% US Mensa population

(º) Unitarian listed as Unitarian Universal, to distinguish, at aforementioned demographics page.
Revealing...

I posted once that "Religious ppl are poorer and stupider than athiests". In there, I was speaking purely from personal experience, and didn't back it up with any figures. This chart atleast provides some evidence about the intelligence bit.
...whose philosophies were mere selfish transfers from their prior paradigm. It's almost like they changed the name and the syntax, but strive toward the same selfishness that they learn culturally.
Exactly. At times it strikes me as astonishing how much overlap there is in supposedly differing beliefs. The example which I give from personal observation is that of the ISKON - as practiced in nations where hinduism is not native.

No native hindu has ever requested me to "accept krishna", nor have they ever requested me for funds in a public place. Both these activities (evangelising and tithes) seem to be christian paradigms.
So what happens, then, is that a number of people who would have no other reason to delve into the quagmire of Christian faith do so in order to find out how to preserve liberty and equality (and, perhaps, humanity) against the Christian attack.
Very oh so noble. :) But, I suspect, in the US, unfortunately true. Not the best of situations to be in...
If they didn't just appear more knowledgable, but actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues, well... then they wouldn't be infidels anymore.
Tiassa has outlined his experiences with x-tianity and they seem to be more than superficial. Judging by that, and the depth and content of his posts, I'd say that he does not merely "just appear more knowledgable".

What has been your association with your faith, blonde-cupid? Why not tell us? Demonstrate that you are "actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues". Pls tell us that you have read and studied deeply into your faith, and that it comes out to be perfect, free of defects and loopholes. Tell us about the extra-biblical and theological stuff you know about. Use it to counter Tiassa whenever he throws them your way.

Aside from dogma and "faith", what have you to show that you are "actually were more knowledgeable about Biblical and faith issues"?

So what about all you non-jewish or muslim infidels. This page is funny since most of the uneducated people I've met in my life do not believe in God.

ICARRYALOTOFBULLETS

That's a great question. You ought to start a topic on that.

thanx,

tiassa,

***Why Mensa? I don't get what it was supposed to show.***

Uh... duh... I dunno. :confused:

But I guess I should feel honored that such a super-intelligent person such as yourself has decided to ask a question of such a stupid, idiotic person such as myself whose intellect has been sacrificed. Hold on a minute, would ya please, while I ask God* to give it back to me...

Thank you, Lord! Uh... huh? Pssst... God*? Could you come back for a minute, please? I didn't know it was going to be this big. Uh... How did tiassa fit all of this in such a little hole? Oh! It doesn't go down there? Oh. O.K... It belongs up here? I see... Whew! That's better. Thanks again, Lord! O.K. tiassa. I think I'm ready now. :rolleyes:

The Mensa reference was to rebut your outrageous implications concerning the intellectual capacity of people of faith. I had no intention of comparing it to the population but since you went that route:

The Mensa reference reported religious affiliation whereas your link reported religious identification. There is a big difference between religious affiliation and religious identification. But since you want to compare statistics:

In a most recent study, of those who responded, slightly less than 77% of Americans identified themselves as Christian. (1990-2000, released 2001).

In the same study, more comparable to the Mensa reference are the responses concerning religious affiliation. If I remember correctly, the number was around 54% - and that statistic took into consideration anyone in the respondent's family/household - not just the respondent.

(tiassa, Although I have not again come across the link to the study which I read recently, this link provides information about results of more recent studies than that which you referenced and is similar in results to the study which I referenced. It also addresses the difference between religious identification studies and religious affiliation studies.

In 1997, the US Society and Values magazine published an overview of religion in the U.S., using data from the Pluralism Project at Harvard University. They reported:

63% of Americans (163 million) state that they are actively affiliated with a faith group: Roman Catholicism is the largest single religious group (60 million; 23%).
Anglicans, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant churches total 94 million members (36%) within 220 denominations.
There are 3.8 million religiously active Jews (1.5%) ; an additional 2 million regard themselves as cultural or ethnic Jews.
Estimates of Muslims vary greatly. Some surveys show that there are about 3.5 to 3.8 million Muslims (1.4 to 1.5%) in the U.S. Most Muslim sources estimate about six or seven million.
There are over 300,000 congregations.
There are over 530,000 priests, ministers, pastors, etc.
Islam is numerically the fastest growing organized religion in the U.S.

The most rapidly growing religious/spiritual/ethics grouping in the US is not an organized religion; it consists of non-believers (Atheists and Agnostics).

During 2001-FEB to APR, the Graduate Center of the City University of New York conducted an American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS). It was a massive poll, questioning 50,281 American adults about their religious affiliations during 2001-FEB to APR. 9 They obtained some results that are noticeably different from the Pluralism Project's data. The differences are mainly because they asked their poll subjects what religion they considered themselves to be, rather than what religion they were actually affiliated with. Results included:

52% of Americans identified themselves as Protestant.
24.5% are Catholic.
14.1% do not follow any organized religion.
1.3% are Jewish.
0.5% are Muslim, followers of Islam.

www.religioustolerance.org/us_rel.htm)

Compare that to the 61% of Christians in the Mensa group. (49% of the 80.4% who responded).

Having IQ's at or above the 98th percentile of the population, and being inclined to use their minds more than most, I am inclined to think that Mensa Christians and Mensa people of faith are more than likely quite knowledgable of the Bible and faith issues. It must be a miracle that, as intelligent as they are, they still believe, huh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back