Biblical errors

Blonde Cupid

So the entire law of the Old Testament only applied to four generations? Or is it just the punishment part?

For the record, the way I've read Exodus indicates that the threat does not expire after four generations, but that the Lord will still punish the fourth and fifth generations for sins. This includes the present generation. The idea of God putting a time limit on the validity of His word cracks me up.

It is, I suppose, a perfectly reasonable explanation insofar as anything about faith in the Biblical god is reasonable, but I must confess, the idea of the Bible having an expiration date is a little new to me. Would you be so kind as to point me toward the literary body which expounds on this point of faith?

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

tiassa,

***For the record, the way I've read Exodus indicates that the threat does not expire after four generations, but that the Lord will still punish the fourth and fifth generations for sins. This includes the present generation.***

It is agreed that the fourth and fifth generations will still be punished for sins. The question is, as it was at the time of Ezekiel, for whose sins will individuals in the present generation be punished?

The answer, that the one who sins is the one who will be punished, was expounded upon in the full body of Ezekiel 18 for starters... "The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. "

Ezekiel 18
The word of the LORD came to me:
"What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel: "`The fathers eat sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge'?
"As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel.
For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son--both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.
"Suppose there is a righteous man who does what is just and right.
He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel. He does not defile his neighbor's wife or lie with a woman during her period.
He does not oppress anyone, but returns what he took in pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.
He does not lend at usury or take excessive interest. He withholds his hand from doing wrong and judges fairly between man and man.
He follows my decrees and faithfully keeps my laws. That man is righteous; he will surely live, declares the Sovereign LORD.
"Suppose he has a violent son, who sheds blood or does any of these other things
(though the father has done none of them): "He eats at the mountain shrines. He defiles his neighbor's wife.
He oppresses the poor and needy. He commits robbery. He does not return what he took in pledge. He looks to the idols. He does detestable things.
He lends at usury and takes excessive interest. Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done all these detestable things, he will surely be put to death and his blood will be on his own head.
"But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things:
"He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel. He does not defile his neighbor's wife.
He does not oppress anyone or require a pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.
He withholds his hand from sin and takes no usury or excessive interest. He keeps my laws and follows my decrees. He will not die for his father's sin; he will surely live.
But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.
"Yet you ask, `Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?' Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live.
The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.
"But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die.
None of the offenses he has committed will be remembered against him. Because of the righteous things he has done, he will live.
Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?
"But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die.
"Yet you say, `The way of the Lord is not just.' Hear, O house of Israel: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust?
If a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin, he will die for it; because of the sin he has committed he will die.
But if a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he has committed and does what is just and right, he will save his life.
Because he considers all the offenses he has committed and turns away from them, he will surely live; he will not die.
Yet the house of Israel says, `The way of the Lord is not just.' Are my ways unjust, O house of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?
"Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall.
Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel?
For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

tiassa,

"...the idea of the Bible having an expiration date is a little new to me. Would you be so kind as to point me toward the literary body which expounds on this point of faith?"

Nice play on words. The Bible does not have an expiration date but relative time periods are stipulated for various conditions throughout the Bible.

A simple example is that the Bible expounds upon the expiration of much after the final judgement (as well as the beginning of much more).

That's it for now because I've got to get going.

An acceptable resolution?

It is agreed that the fourth and fifth generations will still be punished for sins. The question is, as it was at the time of Ezekiel, for whose sins will individuals in the present generation be punished?
Right ... and that's the basis of the contradiction.

So, then, it would appear that the resolution is the transitional nature of God's knowledge and will. It might be a sidebar, but it's curious to note that though many reject "Catholic" concepts (e.g. Perfect Knowledge and Immutable Will) such concepts still exist in Protestant and other Christian faiths.

So in that sense, if I'm not accepting a proposed resolution, it's only because I'm waiting for a specific declaration (it would, after all, be unkind if I assumed that to be your final resolution).

So it's well enough to reconcile the contradiction by citing the transitory nature of God's knowledge and will, but I'm hesitant to accept that because of the larger issues of faith it invokes. Free will may evaporate as a faith concept, though there are Chrisitans here who have declared free will a fallacy to begin with, so we can make of that whatever we need. And the concept of the transitory nature of God also has the risk of being arbitrarily applied; I'm hoping to understand your take on the concept exactly so that we can avoid future misunderstandings should you appear to contradict the conditions you've established.

I'll actually give some consideration to a topic addressing the faith points endangered by the transitory nature of God. That one might be fun.

thanx,

tiassa,

***Right ... and that's the basis of the contradiction.

So, then, it would appear that the resolution is the transitional nature of God's knowledge and will.***

If the plan which God* designed included certain transitions in the developing relationship with man, then God's* knowledge and will are not transitional in nature.

If I set out to build a structure, for example, my planning the transition from excavating to laying the foundation, from laying the foundation to framing, etc... does not mean that my knowledge of building is transitional in nature. Nor does it mean that my will to build a structure is transitional in nature.

The limited time period expressed in Exodus and the specificity of Ezekiel indicates to me that God* planned for this transition in the relationship which needed to be explained to man per Ezekiel.

Stop looking at that silly time period

The limited time period expressed in Exodus and the specificity of Ezekiel indicates to me that God* planned for this transition in the relationship which needed to be explained to man per Ezekiel.
This time thing is getting ridiculous.

On the one hand, someone once mentioned that God doesn't hold grudges; I guess several generatons is only an instant to the eternal, so it doesn't seem like several human lifetimes is that much of a grudge.

But I disagree about a point. I believe that God is saying that all sinners would be punished to the fourth generation. I do not believ that God is saying that for the next four generations, He will visit the iniquities of the fathers onto the sons.
If the plan which God* designed included certain transitions in the developing relationship with man, then God's* knowledge and will are not transitional in nature.
That's why Perfect Knowledge and Immutable Will were so darn important to the Catholic scholars; they realized that without those two attributes of God, the redemption scheme was bunko.

Take the christos, for instance: Why was his part necessary? Is it because God set it up so that humans should require redemption? Once again, we find ourselves back at Eden, wondering what the whole point of the fruit episode was.

It sounds like you're saying that God planned around the failures of his creations. If nothing is impossible with God, that failure of the creations can only be by His will.

Will the Devil be redeemed? (That's a yes or no answer, not a conditional one unless you plan to rewrite the tradition of the Devil in order to make the condition possible.)

Did God, then, know that Job would fail? Is that why He assigned the Devil the task of tormenting Job?

These may seem like irrelevant issues, but they are issues that arise in the rest of the Christian theology and faith once we accept the planned transitions you're asserting.

I must admit that I really do enjoy exploring these neo-theologies that attempt to settle the questions of old by changing the subject of questioning. It really does seem that just about any Christian has a "hidden" idea up his sleeve, an idea that, while perfectly acceptable to most outside the faith sphere, is unusual within that range. Time limits on God's law, and now the flexibility of God's knowledge and will. It isn't that they're unacceptable within the theistic realm, but that they're deviations from the traditions of Christian theology. That's well and fine, I say truly. But this is where doctrine and dogma come from: when people insist on varying interpretations of the Bible, some of those interpretations create circumstances contrary to the asserted faith. It's what I mean when I call Christianity a do-what-thou-will religion. Despite "God's Law" and all of these firm ideas, it pretty much seems like people enact whatever part of the religion already reflects their personalities. These louder, ugly fights that have been going on around here? They're not particularly bothersome in the sense that I've known such conditions ever since the beginnings of my Christian-related memories. I'm actually quite used to Christians saying just about whatever justifies their faith for the moment, and it's one of the reasons I hounded KalvinB about "limiting the terms of debate". Like those theological questions above: if we separate each difficult issue of faith, then each can be reconciled independently of the other, and nobody needs ever look at whether the puzzle pieces fit together and form a picture. In other words, by dismissing contradiction after contradiction, one need never make sure that Resolution A doesn't contradict Resolution B or Bible quotes C, D, or E because we should only look at these thngs one at a time. I just want to make sure these resolutions you offer are really the ones you want to put forth. After all, you've shot a few holes in other parts of the faith, but I would not be surprised if you had a rabbit in the hat for those ones, too. But if I chase down every one of these ideas, and months later am pointing back to the transitional plan of God while you're arguing on behalf of a more fixed idea, then what have we achieved in the intervening time? I wouldn't worry about wounding Catholic theology; in general, it's wounded enough. But in the modern Protestant and post-Christian faiths, there exists a large portion of the theology that is, essentially, as Catholic as the wounded Catholic theology. To unfix God's will to be transitional according to the plan alludes to the idea that God is either unable or unwilling to create humans correctly the first time. If God is unable, well ... there's a big theological conundrum right there. If God is unwilling, that pretty much states the case that Christianity is a scam.

Mind you ... I'm trying to explain why I'm so fixated on what exactly the proposed resolutions equal. I'd rather avoid the vagaries of a tit-for-tat did-not-did-too fight, as some posters have pretty much sickened me by repeatedly denying that they wrote words that were cited in their own posts. It's not that I won't accept them, but that I'm unsure of whether or not you realize that little red "Resolve" button also drops a neutron bomb into the middle of the theology upon which Christian faith depends.

thanx,

tiassa,

***It sounds like you're saying that God planned around the failures of his creations. If nothing is impossible with God, that failure of the creations can only be by His will.***

Yes, in a way. If it is God's* will that man has free will then it is, I think, logical to conclude that it is by design that people make different choices in their relationships with God* - according to their exercise of free will - and the wrong choice can be considered a failure.

tony1,

<i>Essentially what it boils down to is this....

1. The Bible, with some alleged errors in it.
2. All other knowledge, with proven, scientifically established, verified error in it.

It seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?</i>

It sure does. Majority wins, I guess.

<i>As for contradiction, it remains to be seen if the Bible contradicts itself.</i>

Have you read the list in the other thread? It's hardly disputable. You can dance around the issue as much as you like, but you can't seriously believe that the bible doesn't contradict itself. If you <i>do</i> seriously believe that, I won't be able to change your mind, since you're living in a fantasy world.

<i>In addition, the authors of those other documents actually write them with the specific intention of contradicting the other documents.</i>

I assume you mean scientific papers and the like. Please provide evidence for this assertion.

<i>Thus, the entire collection of all other documents is useless.</i>

This does not logically follow from your premise.

<i>If your thinking is shown to be wrong in some respects, then why can't it be wrong in other respects?</i>

It can be. I'm not claiming infallibility; you are.

<i>Since you are using your thinking to evaluate the Bible, how do you know your thinking isn't hopelessly muddled on that issue along with others?</i>

I don't, for sure. But, as I said before, I can measure myself against the opinions of others.

<i>Are you actually convinced that your thinking could be in error on every single point EXCEPT where the Bible is concerned?</i>

Where did that come from?

<i>Even IF you exist, how do we know what you write is an accurate account of you or your words?</i>

What else would it be an account of?

<i>Your writing isn't even self-consistent, unless of course you're infallible.</i>

I'm not claiming infallibility; you are.

<i>Your argument in this case is that you will tolerate no less than 100% accuracy (as defined by you) where the Bible is concerned, but less than 1% accuracy with everything else is just fine.</i>

No. That's not my argument. All I am doing is pointing out that, contrary to your apparent believe, the bible is not 100% accurate. I don't require that it be so; you do.

<i>In essence, you say that 100% accuracy is required to believe one thing, but believing its opposite only requires, say, 0.0001% accuracy.</i>

Where do you get that idea?

<i>You yourself say that you could be wrong, which is an admission that you recognize that your thinking is imperfect.</i>

Yes, I am not so arrogant as to think that I am perfect. Similarly, it would be stupid to think that the writers of the bible were perfect. Yet that is what you seem to think.

Try again, tiassa

*Originally posted by tiassa
Do you understand the relationship between visit and bear yet? If you can't, it's not my problem.

It is your problem since you can't understand what the words mean.

Let's start with "bear" since it's the simpler concept of the two.

I'm going to assume that "bear" means "carry" to you , as it does to me.

Thus, in Ezek. 18:20, the son does not carry the iniquity of the father, i.e. the son does not die for the father's sin.

Agreed, or no?

"Visit" means "assign" more or less, as in the verb form of "heirs and assigns" which a concept appearing in many contracts, such as the Bible.

Thus, when the Lord "visits" the sin of the father upon the son, that doesn't mean that the son dies for the father's sin, it means that the same sin is assigned to the son, since the son is an "heir and assign" of the father.
If the son commits the sin, then he dies for his own sin, not his father's sin.

"Visit" and "bear STILL mean different things.
From what I can gather, you appear to be arguing that the son WILL die for his father's sin, but he won't.

*Originally posted by James R
It sure does. Majority wins, I guess.

You actually think that God is a consensus of people.
Do you have a brain?
Can you think at all?

The majority LOSES, in practically every example you can think of.
There is only one winner in any race, the majority are ALL losers.
In the stock market, few winners, many losers.
In a lottery, one winner, many losers.

Where did you get the idea that the majority wins?
Are you daft?

*I assume you mean scientific papers and the like. Please provide evidence for this assertion.*

How about cold fusion and the rebuttals of cold fusion?

*But, as I said before, I can measure myself against the opinions of others.*

Heaven as democracy.
You can only wish you're right.
Perhaps I am mistaken, and you don't actually give a shit about eternal life.
Is that a possibility?

*All I am doing is pointing out that, contrary to your apparent believe, the bible is not 100% accurate. I don't require that it be so; you do.*

I don't need it to be 100% accurate.
And actually you do, before you'll believe it.
However, you require 0% accuracy to disbelieve it.

I was actually throwing you a bone with the 0.001% thing.
You actually care zero about the accuracy of any belief when it is contradicting the Bible.
Take evolution.
While you believe you need a preponderance of evidence to believe the ToE, you don't actually care whether the evidence is evidence of the ToE, as long as a certain number of people are telling you it is.
Thus, you don't care about the accuracy of the belief, you are merely concerned with the number of people who agree with you.

Re: Try again, tiassa

Tony1,
It is not my bussiness what you believe in or not, But I do feel like that I should know what I am believing in?. If Bible is not 100% accurate but it is suppose to be word of God?? Since God doesnot make mistakes then why this one? If people wrote Bible who were inspired by God then why there are lots of "According to" in there ?. It is more like a story book rather then a relgious book with religious guidelines?.

I am sure you beleive that Jesus is God? or the Holy Trinity?. Then where did you get these Ideas? They must have come from the Bible. The Book of Books. Now if one would lay his/her faith on the believes in this book then one should know that he/she are not making a mistake. Can you also if you don't mind point out in Bible where did Jesus said that he is God? and Also about Holdy Trinity?.
Thank you.

Re: Re: Try again, tiassa

*Originally posted by Markx
But I do feel like that I should know what I am believing in?.

Good plan.

*If Bible is not 100% accurate but it is suppose to be word of God??*

It contains the word of God, along with some words by Satan, a number of devils, dozens of people, etc.
Satan, of course, would generally be lying, along with the lying spirits.
How accurate is that?
Of course, the reporting of the lies is accurate.

*Since God doesnot make mistakes then why this one?*

"This one" isn't a mistake, except on the part of those who think it is.

*If people wrote Bible who were inspired by God then why there are lots of "According to" in there ?. It is more like a story book rather then a relgious book with religious guidelines?.*

The Bible does contain descriptions of what people did when they heard from God, i.e. they did "according to" what they heard.

*Now if one would lay his/her faith on the believes in this book then one should know that he/she are not making a mistake.*

One would need to know that about any book or pile of books, such as the Koran, or science textbooks, or anything.

*Can you also if you don't mind point out in Bible where did Jesus said that he is God?*

I and my Father are one.
(John 10:30, KJV).

*and Also about Holdy Trinity?. *

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
(1 John 5:7, KJV).

tiassa,

***I believe that God is saying that all sinners would be punished to the fourth generation.***

For any sin? Or, just for the sin of having other gods?

Exodus 20:3-5:

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

P.S. Do you accept Exodus and dismiss Ezekiel?

Re: Re: Re: Try again, tiassa

I agree with your post. But here is something I like to point out.

Originally posted by tony1

*Can you also if you don't mind point out in Bible where did Jesus said that he is God?*

I and my Father are one.
(John 10:30, KJV).

*and Also about Holdy Trinity?. *

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
(1 John 5:7, KJV).

Ok so do you believe that Jesus was God? Or Is God?. You gave me above verse regarding Jesus telling that he and God are the same. Now let me give some verses according to jesus who he really was,

Anyone can call God "Father" according to the Bible

"I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." (John 20:17 RSV 1952)
Jesus, at the end of his mission, made it clear that God is not only his father, but father of all, and God of all, and even his own God whom he worshipped throughout his earthly career.
We cry, Abba, Father. (Romans 8:15 KJV 1611)
Here the writer is Paul and he made it clear that anyone can address God as "Father."
Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:

". . . Do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. (Matthew 23:1,9 NIV 1984)

According to Matthew, Jesus taught everyone to call God 'Father'. He said to them:
"This, then, is how you should pray:
'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name . . .' " (Matthew 6:9 NIV)

Jesus made it clear that he is not God

"Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." (Mark 10:18)

A man had ran up and knelt before Jesus and called him "Good Teacher." Jesus used the opportunity to make it clear to people that they must not praise him more than a human being deserves to be praised.

Jesus depends on God for Authority: God depends on no one

"I can do nothing of my own authority" (John 5:30)
"I do as the Father has commanded me." (John 14:31 RSV)

Needless to say, God does not receive commands from anyone.

"The words that I say to you I do not speak of my own authority." (John 14:10 RSV)

"I do nothing of my own authority but speak thus as the Father has taught me." (John 8:28 RSV)
God has full authority, and full knowledge. He cannot be taught, but He teaches.

Jesus is not Equal to "The Father"

"The Father is greater than I." (John 14:28 RSV)

People forget this and they say that Jesus is equal to the Father. Whom should we believe--Jesus or the people?

Jesus Does Not Know Everything

Speaking of the Last Day, Jesus said:
"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." (Matthew 24:36)

Did Jesus Raise Himself up?

God raised him up. (Acts 2:24)
Jesus did not have power to raise himself up. God had to raise him up, as the author of Acts says.

Jesus prayed to God: God prays to no one

"Abba, Father, all things are possible to thee; remove this cup from me; yet not what I will, but what thou wilt." (Mark 14:32)

Jesus fell on his face and prayed to God, begging God to save him from crucifixion. This also shows that Jesus had a will different from God's will. The writers of Matthew, Mark, and Luke tell us that it was Jesus's wish to be saved from crucifixion, but it was God's will to let the crucifixion take place.
"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)

Jesus did not know the tree had no fruit

He [Jesus] was hungry. And on seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it , he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. (Mark 11 12-13)

When he saw that the tree had leaves, he thought that he might find fruit on it. But when he came up close to the tree he realised there were no fruits. After all, it was not even fig season.[/B]

Jesus referred to as Servant of God

[/B] "Behold my servant whom I have chosen." (Matthew 12:18 In this passage God calls Jesus His servant)
The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus. (Acts 3:13)
For truly in this city there were gathered together against thy holy servant Jesus. . . (Acts 4:27)
Everyone, except for God, are God's servants. Jesus, too, is God's servant.[/B]

Who was real Worker of Miracles?

Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: (Acts 2:22 KJV)

People say that since Jesus worked many miracles, he must be God. But here we see that God did the miracles; Jesus was the instrument God used to accomplish His work. Jesus was a man whom God approved of. This means he was a righteous man. A messenger.

Jesus cannot guarantee positions

"To sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father" (Matthew 20:23)

Therefore if we want to secure our position with God in the life hereafter we must turn to God and ask Him.

"A Misunderstood saying"

I and the Father are one. (John 10:30)

People like to quote this saying, but they forget the following saying:
John 17:11 Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

This shows that what was meant was one in purpose, not one in substance as people think. The disciples could not become one human, but they can pursue the same goal. That is to say, they can be one in purpose, just as Jesus and the Father are one in purpose.

Did Jesus say everything John says he said?

John 14:9 Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life.

John 8:12 I am the light of the world.
John 8:58 Before Abraham was, I am.
John 10:7 I am the door of the sheep.
John 11:25 I am the resurrection, and the life.
John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life.
John 15:1 I am the true vine.

Known Christian scholars tell us that if Jesus had made all these fantastic claims about himself, the first three gospels would surely have recorded them. Mark was written around 70 C.E., followed by Matthew and Luke somewhere between 80-90 C.E. John, written around 100 C.E., was the last of the four canonized gospels. The Christian scholar James Dunn writes in his book The Evidence for Jesus:

"If they were part of the original words of Jesus himself, how could it be that only John picked them up and none of the others? Call it scholarly skepticism if you like, but I find it almost incredible that such sayings should have been neglected had they been known as a feature of Jesus' teaching. If the 'I ams' had been part of the original tradition, it is very hard indeed to explain why none of the other three evangelists made use of them." (The Evidence for Jesus, p. 36)

Similarly, the New American Bible tells us in its introduction, under the heading How to Read Your Bible:

"It is difficult to know whether the words or sayings attributed to Jesus are written exactly as he spoke them. . . . The Church was so firmly convinced that . . . Jesus . . . taught through her, that she expressed her teaching in the form of Jesus' sayings." (St. Joseph Medium Size Edition, p.23)

What we have in John, then is what people were saying about Jesus at the time John was written (about 70 years after Jesus was raised up). The writer of John simply expressed those ideas as if Jesus had said them. Rev. James Dunn says further in his book that, almost certainly, the writer of the fourth gospel "was not concerned with the sort of questions which trouble some Christians today -- Did Jesus actually say this? Did he use these precise words? and so on." (The Evidence for Jesus, p. 43)

Scholars have concluded that this gospel was originally written in a simple form. But this gospel was later on, as the New Jerusalem Bible says, "amplified and developed in several stages during the second half of the first century. " (The New Jerusalem Bible: Introduction to John, p. 1742)

It says further:

"It is today freely accepted that the fourth Gospel underwent a complex development before it reached its final form." (p. 1742)

On a previous page, the same Bible says:

"It would seem that we have only the end-stage of a slow process that has brought together not only component parts of different ages, but also corrections, additions and sometimes even more than one revision of the same discourse." (The New Jerusalem Bible, p. 1739)

The New American Bible says that most scholars "have come to the conclusion that the inconsistencies were probably produced by subsequent editing in which homogeneous materials were added to a shorter original." (The New American Bible, Revised New Testament, p. 143)

Oh joy! Now we see what jesus had to say about himself, So what you think? I don't know if you believe that Jesus is God or not but if you do then I don't see any sense in believing in one verse and leaving all others alone. It is more like I take what I like and leave the rest.

I will get back later on Holy trinity.
:eek:

Interesting quotes...

St. Augustine (354-430) was one of the founders of the Roman Catholic Church. He well understood that Christianity was like a house of cards; if the church dared to admit to even a single error in the Bible, who could say there wasn't an error on every page? The resurrection story might then be false and everyone's hopes are in vain. This is what he said:

"The most disastrous consequences must follow upon our believing that anything false is found in the sacred books....If you [even] once admit into such a high sanctuary of authority one false statement, there will not be left a single sentence of those books, which, if appearing to anyone difficult in practice or hard to believe, may not by the same fatal rule be explained away as a statement, in which intentionally, the author declared what was not true." --St. Augustine in Epistula, p. 28.

Hmmm ... i see the bibles credibility has been an issue fer quite a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I aslo read this from a previous post...

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
*Does this mean that to worship the Pope is wrong after all?
*God says worship none but him.... so have the catholics etc, got it all wrong?
*Are they committing a sin as they bow down and worship the pope or even statues of the virgin mary??????

Cheers
RazZ:D

Re: Interesting quotes...

Originally posted by razz
St. Augustine (354-430) was one of the founders of the Roman Catholic Church. He well understood that Christianity was like a house of cards; if the church dared to admit to even a single error in the Bible, who could say there wasn't an error on every page? The resurrection story might then be false and everyone's hopes are in vain. This is what he said:

"The most disastrous consequences must follow upon our believing that anything false is found in the sacred books....If you [even] once admit into such a high sanctuary of authority one false statement, there will not be left a single sentence of those books, which, if appearing to anyone difficult in practice or hard to believe, may not by the same fatal rule be explained away as a statement, in which intentionally, the author declared what was not true." --St. Augustine in Epistula, p. 28.

Hmmm ... i see the bibles credibility has been an issue fer quite a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I aslo read this from a previous post...

*God says worship none but him.... so have the catholics etc, got it all wrong?
*Are they committing a sin as they bow down and worship the pope or even statues of the virgin mary??????

Cheers
RazZ:D

Razz it is a million dollar question. What I am confuse is why no one is reading the whole Bible why people tend to chose what they like they rea, what they don't like they don't even care. Why they try to follow and believe in one part and why leave others alone.Or maybe it is what they have been thought in their churches or following their parents and grand parents religion without Questioning and reasoning.

Well no wonder I missed it. It seems to mirror your entire position. No evidence, no statement. Just an assertion without any grounds. I don't pretend to know the impact you have made on the people here, but from my experiences I would say you are woefully inadequate at debate. That you have been here longer than I and have most likely excercised this skill, says something about your inability to learn. I have seen many wonderful examples of proper debate. Some have the problem of meandering about topics unrelated, but your issue is much worse.

I am not so closed minded to assume that you represent all of christianity. I am also very sensitive of your right to speac. I would hate to think that so many payed with their life so that you may abuse this right by simply asserting "yes" or "no". For most I would state that while I disagree with what they may say I would still die to defend their right to say it, yours may be the case I feel least passionate about.

Tony1, Blonde Cupid ... I guess it suddenly overlapped

Thus, in Ezek. 18:20, the son does not carry the iniquity of the father, i.e. the son does not die for the father's sin.

Agreed, or no?
I have not seen it established that the iniquity equals death.

As a side note, and for your impish bender, I should note that one of the dumbest things I've ever heard came from a Franciscan nun--that the reason for the decree that nobody bearing phyisical imperfections could take of the holy of holies (Lv. 21.16-ff) was that their profanity came in the Lord's will of their disfigurement. Like I said, a side note.

In that sense we might wonder about the effects of some drugs. I do actually know personally of one, and possibly two cases in which heavy drug users fathered children with birth defects. Hmm ...

Blonde Cupid!
P.S. Do you accept Exodus and dismiss Ezekiel?
On a practical level, I may have to given the above consideration in my discussion with Tony1; this doesn't seem to have much effect on our present discussion. In terms of the nature and method of God in relation to the issues, they're both Biblical statements and thus bear equal weight.

Anyway ...

Tony1 and Blonde Cupid

At any rate,
6 Thus the LORD passed before him and cried out, "The LORD, the LORD, a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger and rich in kindness and fidelity,

7 continuing his kindness for a thousand generations, and forgiving wickedness and crime and sin; yet not declaring the guilty guiltless, but punishing children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generation for their fathers' wickedness!"
(Exodus 34.6-7)
* Here we see another verse reflecting the third and fourth generations; punishment is iniquity visited unto.

* Taken as we see here, to apply Tony1's point, the Lord will not declare the guilty guiltless, but assign the sin to the third and fourth generations and punish them for their own sins. I still don't get what you mean with the visit/assign angle; how is a repetition of the father's sin so different from any other sin that it is highlighted three times? (Ex. 20, Ex. 34, Num. 14) I must reject your assertion on the basis of the Bible.

* Regarding which sinners ... Blonde Cupid: I'd say all sinners, all sins.

It's worth noting that the general disorganization of how I speak to you each in turn is sort of an accident of circumstance. This started out as a response to Tony1 and then I realized I was overlapping into the train Blonde Cupid and I are on. I decided to leave it as it was because ... well, it amuses me somehow.

thanx,

Here we see another verse reflecting the third and fourth generations; punishment is iniquity visited unto.

That was my initial point. Visit has a definate connotation of an active role when coupled with unto. A punishment would be in line with this terminology.

Taken as we see here, to apply Tony1's point, the Lord will not declare the guilty guiltless, but assign the sin to the third and fourth generations and punish them for their own sins.

I just dismissed this possibility before going into this debate. It can clearly be represented that the second generation is included. Any other representation would make them foolish statements. Why blame the grand children and great grand children while removing blame from the child? Assign also has implications. It can also be freely exchanged with bear. Assign and bare are synonomous. Bear has a slightly stronger connotation, but then so does visit unto. In any case my point still withstands. The bible is filled with contradictory statements.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Try again, tiassa

Ok so do you believe that Jesus was God? Or Is God?.

Shouldn't you have asked me that first?

*Anyone can call God "Father" according to the Bible
Jesus made it clear that he is not God
Jesus depends on God for Authority: God depends on no one
Needless to say, God does not receive commands from anyone.
Jesus is not Equal to "The Father"
People forget this and they say that Jesus is equal to the Father. Whom should we believe--Jesus or the people?
Jesus Does Not Know Everything
Did Jesus Raise Himself up?
Jesus prayed to God: God prays to no one
Jesus did not know the tree had no fruit
Jesus referred to as Servant of God
Jesus cannot guarantee positions
Did Jesus say everything John says he said?

John 14:9 Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life.

John 8:12 I am the light of the world.
John 8:58 Before Abraham was, I am.
John 10:7 I am the door of the sheep.
John 11:25 I am the resurrection, and the life.
John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life.
John 15:1 I am the true vine.

Hey, not bad.
But, like I said, shouldn't you have asked me first what I believed?

*On a previous page, the same Bible says:*

The Bible is actually considered the part from Ge. 1:1 to Rev. 22:21.
The rest is filler.

*Oh joy! Now we see what jesus had to say about himself, So what you think? I don't know if you believe that Jesus is God or not but if you do then I don't see any sense in believing in one verse and leaving all others alone.*

I'd tend to agree with you.
I was merely answering your question.

*I will get back later on Holy trinity.*

Can't wait.

*Originally posted by razz
St. Augustine (354-430) was one of the founders of the Roman Catholic Church. He well understood that Christianity was like a house of cards; if the church dared to admit to even a single error in the Bible, who could say there wasn't an error on every page?

Hey, you guys are getting much better.
This beats the old "religion sux, atheism roolz" stuff.

Anyway, Augustine, being one of the founders of Catholicism, would be wrong.
It actually doesn't matter if there is an error on every page.
The word of God is SPOKEN, not written, so errors on every page are equivalent to having a guaranteed perfect Bible with ink dribbled on every page.

Is a perfect Bible any less perfect, just because someone spills coffee on it?

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
(Romans 10:17, KJV).

Can't "hear" it unless it is spoken.

God says worship none but him.... so have the catholics etc, got it all wrong?
Are they committing a sin as they bow down and worship the pope or even statues of the virgin mary??????

You bet.
That's why it's been an ongoing issue here that Catholics are NOT Christians.

What I am confuse is why no one is reading the whole Bible why people tend to chose what they like they rea, what they don't like they don't even care.

That IS a problem.

*Originally posted by Teg
I would hate to think that so many payed with their life so that you may abuse this right by simply asserting "yes" or "no".

No no, just yes.

For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
(2 Corinthians 1:20, KJV).

God doesn't bother with anything more than Yes and Amen.
At least I give you some debate once in a while.

*Originally posted by tiassa
I have not seen it established that the iniquity equals death.

So, your point in this entire debate has been that the sons and the fathers bear or are visited by the Lord for...uh...whatever they bear and are visited upon by?

*Here we see another verse reflecting the third and fourth generations; punishment is iniquity visited unto.*

Of course, the issue is, what obscure version is that taken from, considering that none of the versions I have use the term "punishing?"

*Originally posted by Teg
A punishment would be in line with this terminology.

Great, a pagan and an atheist mutually agreeing on what the Bible means.
I guess with a consensus like that, who could argue?
Pray tell, you two, what does Ge. 1:1 mean?

*It can clearly be represented that the second generation is included.*

That's what "to" means, especially when it is written "unto" as in the KJ and others.

*Assign also has implications. It can also be freely exchanged with bear.*

Fat chance.
Try writing a contract with the phrase "heirs and bears" in it.
It'll get laughed out of court.

Check it out.

"I, Teg, being of sound mind, bind myself, my heirs and bears to the following..."

*The bible is filled with contradictory statements.*

That, coming from you, would be more believable if you didn't contradict yourself at every turn.

Back