best arguments against religion (no theists)

For the same reason people drop out or prac fail in any discipline of knowledge you care to mention

That's not a valid answer. If they once had access to confirmation of God as a result of a special practice, why would they ever grow to disbelieve?

If I used to be a nuclear physicist and performed experiments and understood certain processes, why would I ever grow to disbelieve in them just because I fell out of practice? I might not remember exactly how I came to those conclusions, but I wouldn't reject those conclusions. You can't drop out of knowing the truth.

Sincere practicing believers that go on to reject theism are proof that your premise of a special "tool" that can confirm faith is false.

That's not a valid answer. If they once had access to confirmation of God as a result of a special practice, why would they ever grow to disbelieve?
Because they fall short from practical experience that establishes it as an irrevocable fact
If I used to be a nuclear physicist and performed experiments and understood certain processes, why would I ever grow to disbelieve in them just because I fell out of practice? I might not remember exactly how I came to those conclusions, but I wouldn't reject those conclusions. You can't drop out of knowing the truth.
Now compare to if one is a rudimentary practitioner and, due to falling short or misunderstanding key aspects of practical application, reaps results that are contrary to their theoretical outlook of how things should be

Sincere practicing believers that go on to reject theism are proof that your premise of a special "tool" that can confirm faith is false.
Only if you can establish them as belonging to the topmost strata of practitoners

@lightgigantic --

Nope. Based on your previous posts nothing led me to think that you would ever make such a tired and easily rebutted argument.

Nice try attempting to trap me into admitting that I "had faith" while blindly ignoring the fact that there's a vast difference between trust based on previous evidence and religious faith which is demonstrably based on no evidence. But I've probably been doing this a lot longer than you have, you're going to have to do much better than that to trap me.

Because they fall short from practical experience that establishes it as an irrevocable fact

Now compare to if one is a rudimentary practitioner and, due to falling short or misunderstanding key aspects of practical application, reaps results that are contrary to their theoretical outlook of how things should be

Only if you can establish them as belonging to the topmost strata of practitoners

There is no strata, you made that up. There is no difference between the soon to be sainted Mother Teresa and the average believer.

Signal said:
What is LG's argument?
" I create the notion that temperature cannot be measured accurately. The reason you cannot is because I require the exclusive use of tape measures only.
Attempt to disprove Mr A when he says temperature cannot be measured accurately. The reason atheism has not been disproved lies within. "
That is certainly one argument, but not necessarily the one being addressed here, given the way the discussion has moved since.
Your primary argument is that God exists... and all you offer by way of support is "you have to follow a certain path" (or words to that effect), a path which requires one to have belief that God exists, and a path which if it ultimately does not lead to where God can not be witnessed/evidenced (or however you want to call it that is beyond mere belief) then it is the fault of the practitioner. And if you choose to dismiss the claim, and not to follow this path, then you are akin to "a high-school drop out" in such matters.

Hmmm - and yet you're not willing to do the same to see how it's possible to measure microkelvin with a tape-measure.
:shrug:

Furthermore, your arguments that only those that "fall short from practical experience that establishes it as an irrevocable fact" would turn away from theism really does nothing to separate the "path" from a process of brainwashing... where only those where the brainwashing sticks will "see God".
And you wrap this up with "but if you don't achieve - it's your fault, not the process"... which might certainly help imprint the brainwashing on some (who then manage to convince themselves they can "see God" etc).

If God intended religion for man, he would have gave us one. Prophets sent by God do not equal religion, they are merely takin by religious followers as a representation that their religion is the end all, when in truth every religion has always followed the same God weather they know it or not.

There is no strata, you made that up. There is no difference between the soon to be sainted Mother Teresa and the average believer.
Then why talk of Mother Teresa in the first place?
Or for that matter why the "average" believer?
(How can one have an "average" anything if there is no variegation?)

That is certainly one argument, but not necessarily the one being addressed here, given the way the discussion has moved since.
Your primary argument is that God exists... and all you offer by way of support is "you have to follow a certain path" (or words to that effect), a path which requires one to have belief that God exists, and a path which if it ultimately does not lead to where God can not be witnessed/evidenced (or however you want to call it that is beyond mere belief) then it is the fault of the practitioner. And if you choose to dismiss the claim, and not to follow this path, then you are akin to "a high-school drop out" in such matters.

Hmmm - and yet you're not willing to do the same to see how it's possible to measure microkelvin with a tape-measure.
a key difference is that with the tape measure you have to radically redefine the discipline that microkelvins appear in order to hope to become valid

Furthermore, your arguments that only those that "fall short from practical experience that establishes it as an irrevocable fact" would turn away from theism really does nothing to separate the "path" from a process of brainwashing... where only those where the brainwashing sticks will "see God".
brainwashing can run a steady parallel in any claim of knowledge (regardless whether it is grounded or not).

For instance its not really valid to dismiss anthropology as a whole on the basis of the basis of ideas of race that was prevalent in the early 20th century

And you wrap this up with "but if you don't achieve - it's your fault, not the process"... which might certainly help imprint the brainwashing on some (who then manage to convince themselves they can "see God" etc).
perhaps your critique would be valid if you had a clue about the process.

Instead you just talk in general terms, as if citing issues of brainwashing could hope to become anything more than anecdotal.

Nice try attempting to trap me into admitting that I "had faith" while blindly ignoring the fact that there's a vast difference between trust based on previous evidence and religious faith which is demonstrably based on no evidence. But I've probably been doing this a lot longer than you have, you're going to have to do much better than that to trap me.
I got to laugh at your attempt to distinguish issues of faith from trust based on previous experience ....

I've noticed that you have a particular style of argument - you state the conclusion while completely avoiding any supporting points (and usually tie it up with a snide sense of arrogance).

For instance you state your conclusion (there's a difference between faith and trust from previous experience) you totally neglect explaining how or why there is a difference and you spend the next half trying to belittle your opponent.

Its kind of like "arioch says".

Religion doesn't project faith, therefore by definition it is a waist of space, time, and money. On top of that it starts wars by confusion.

@lightgigantic --

The explanation is a bit bare bones, but it's in there and it's been covered so often that you can't have missed it without deliberately avoiding it.

@lightgigantic --

The explanation is a bit bare bones, but it's in there and it's been covered so often that you can't have missed it without deliberately avoiding it.
explanation?
there is no explanation - its simply a statement, much like this "You are wrong Arioch"
:D

@lightgigantic --

Read the post again, I explain why they're different. Perhaps if you read it thoroughly and think about it hard enough you'll see it.

Back