Barbaric treatment of stray Animals

It's voluntary, you have to pay for it yourself, although the humane society just asks for a donation (tax deductable).

$25 a cat....I think I'd run out of money quickly. Especially since people keep abandoning their cats. I don't know how you would ever get ahead of it.

Enmos:

Right..
Does it make a difference how the invading species get to be invading species ?
Naturally vs. introduced.. ?

Not at all, no. Because ecosystems have to adapt to changes, regardless.

Ecosystems are in flux. It's evolution. Regardless of whether they come with humans or on animals.

Spidergoat:

I suppose that's true, but ecosystems to achieve a kind of stability after a couple million years. I guess it will all be OK in another couple million, so why worry?

Actually, ecosystems tend to reach equillibirum in a matter of years, not millions of years.

It's the predator/prey balance.

If there is a draught there will be less grass. With less grass there'll be less deer. With less deer they'll be less wolves. You know, the classic food chain discussion.

If cats over hunt, more cats will starve. If more cats will starve, more cats will die. Then the populations will rebound.

so you are ok with feral cats being put down?

I'm not ok with it, but I see no other option IF they threaten indigenous wildlife. (Edit: Spider made a good point though)
Do not forget that humans are to blame, not the cats.

Spidergoat:

Actually, ecosystems tend to reach equillibirum in a matter of years, not millions of years.

It's the predator/prey balance.

If there is a draught there will be less grass. With less grass there'll be less deer. With less deer they'll be less wolves. You know, the classic food chain discussion.

If cats over hunt, more cats will starve. If more cats will starve, more cats will die. Then the populations will rebound.

See above.

any time non native species get intraduced bad things tend to happen for the native wild life. look at florida the native species are getting hurt by 2 large exotic reptile species. nile monitors and burmese pythons both of which are breeding in florida

Not all predator-prey relationships are the same. For instance, in Japan there is a giant hornet that will gang up and kill an entire bee colony. The native honeybees evolved a unique defense against it, but foriegn bees are totally helpless.

Enmos:

What is precisely ignorant about my assessment?

Not all predator-prey relationships are the same. For instance, in Japan there is a giant hornet that will gang up and kill an entire bee colony. The native honeybees evolved a unique defense against it, but foriegn bees are totally helpless.

Exactly.

In nature organisms from one continent don't just get introduced in another from one day to another. It's unnatural..
They either have a hard time surviving in their new environment (which, of course, isn't much of a problem) or they don't (which can prove to be a huge problem).
In either case they most probably lack natural predators, which can cause their populations to explode. Indigenous organisms will not have had the time to adapt to the intruders and therefor lack defenses.
In short, invasive species can destroy entire ecosystems.

Last edited:
Is that supposed to be some sort of clever remark ? lol
You have no clue, do you.. :rolleyes:

why doesnt someone just give this cat a home and be done with it??

i know i will!

what does it look like? does anyone know? is it chipped? does it have a name/ address tag on its collar? does it have a collar?

why doesnt someone just give this cat a home and be done with it??

i know i will!

what does it look like? does anyone know? is it chipped? does it have a name/ address tag on its collar? does it have a collar?

I don't know, you'll have to ask the original poster. I think he said he has no time to care for a cat..

I don't know, you'll have to ask the original poster. I think he said he has no time to care for a cat..

well the best thing he can do is, NOT feed it, if he continues to feed it, it will think thats his home and then the poster will not be able to get rid of it!

i mean, where is this cat?

well the best thing he can do is, NOT feed it, if he continues to feed it, it will think thats his home and then the poster will not be able to get rid of it!

i mean, where is this cat?

I agree, but that's only if you can't be bothered or if the cat actually is not a stray.
If the cat is a stray, feeding it will possibly keep it alive and healthy. Or at least minimize it's instinct to go hunt for wildlife.

Back