Barbaric treatment of stray Animals

I am sympathetic to the problem, I have feral cats where I live. I even managed to tame a young kitten, who is now my pet. The problem is you cannot adopt a feral cat unless it is socialized, which can be a long process, and if they are already a year old or more, it's virtually impossible. I captured my pet's littermates with a humane trap and they went to the humane society where they were killed. If I manage to capture the mother and father (they are elusive), I will get them neutered or killed. At least they won't be making new generations of neglected animals.

The most humane thing is to capture the feral cat, neuter it, and release it. If it's just a stray pet, there are no kill shelters where I live that will try and find a home for it.

cats are not a native species. Feral cats do damage to the local wildlife populations. Why would anyone put feral cats ahead of local wildlife??? I say open a hunting season on them.

I don't think the cat in the OP is feral though. I think its a discarded house cat.

My first cat was a stray, she is so well behaved and beautiful, and actually had a tracking chip implant. She shakes hands like a dog or a human, you don't even have to command it.

Orleander:

cats are not a native species. Feral cats do damage to the local wildlife populations. Why would anyone put feral cats ahead of local wildlife??? I say open a hunting season on them.

Eco systems cannot be damaged by "invading species". Ecosystems are perpetually in flux. Ergo, any damage from other species is part of evolution.

I suppose that's true, but ecosystems to achieve a kind of stability after a couple million years. I guess it will all be OK in another couple million, so why worry?

havent you though about just calling the RSPCA or your nearest animal shelter to come and collect the animal?

In my area, they do nothing for cats. You have to buy a humane trap and capture them yourself. I found out that "shelter" is a code word for kill.

Orleander:

Eco systems cannot be damaged by "invading species". Ecosystems are perpetually in flux. Ergo, any damage from other species is part of evolution.

Right.. :rolleyes:
Does it make a difference how the invading species get to be invading species ?
Naturally vs. introduced.. ?

I suppose that's true, but ecosystems to achieve a kind of stability after a couple million years. I guess it will all be OK in another couple million, so why worry?

Organisms normally move slowly into new areas, it gives the ecosystems time to adapt.
Rapidly introduced (by man) species have the power to disrupt and even destroy entire ecosystems.

If there are alot of them, I would say yes. You could also just have them neutered and released, their numbers will shrink after one generation.

If there are alot of them, I would say yes. You could also just have them neutered and released, their numbers will shrink after one generation.

and who would be doing the catch and release program? Who pays for the neutering?
I know in SD you can shoot them.

Back