Atheists & Christians in the USA

You are a fool. So, so smart, but a fool. Can't you see? Use this logic. God can either A. Exist, or B. Not exist. Correct? Can we agree on that? If he does exist, and you keep faith, and live as a "good man" you get into Heaven. Thats ALL you have to do. So simple. No test's, no fee's, nothing. Why not just keep the faith?

For if you don't.. If he isn't real, then so be it.. then you just die and go back to the earth to be forgotten over time. You don't lose anything. If God isn't real, weather you had faith in him or not, when you die your going to the same place as anyone else, and thats in the ground, but if he is real and you had faith then you go to heaven, if you didn't have faith then you don't.

False choices. There could be your god, or there could any one of an infinite number of gods and various scenarios... or no gods at all. If there is a god, we are all good because of his infinite wisdom and forgiveness. If there isn't a god, then theists are wasting their time and harming people with their fear and guilt about sin.

While humans are considered natural, what they create is not. Therefore, we can assume that the creation of any mind is not natural.<your phrasing suggest humans create minds> That being the case if there was a God and he did create the universe, then that universe would not be nateral.

why wouldn't it? one does not exempt the other. it is not logical to assume that if the universe was created, then it is not natural.(your wiki definition of natural)
i argue that God created evolution, and thereby is able to influence its processes.

If you were capable of creating a universe, would you create it in such a way that you could not interact with it?

If you were capable of creating a universe, would you create it in such a way that you could not interact with it?
Depends, why am I creating a universe? Is it a work of art? Is it a science experiment? Is it a musical instrument? Am I bored and I just like to fuck with stuff? Am I playing a game with my little brother, Satan? Am I a kid with an ant farm?

You are a fool.
Perhaps so. But at least I don't believe in silly fairytales like Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and gods, like a four year-old.
God can either A. Exist, or B. Not exist. Correct? Can we agree on that? If he does exist, and you keep faith, and live as a "good man" you get into Heaven. Thats ALL you have to do. So simple. No test's, no fee's, nothing. Why not just keep the faith?
Talk about being "a fool." You ignore the history of your own people because to do otherwise would be inconvenient. The religious definition of "living as a good man" varies from era to era, from community to community, from religion to religion, and even from one little sect within that religion to another. At various times, in various places, in various faiths, and in various cults within those faiths, it has required the slaughter of entire populations, the destruction of entire civilizations, the persecution of scholars, the rejection of our most loyal companions (dogs), the burning of libraries, the destruction of art, the suppression of music, the treatment of women and various minorities as second-class citizens, the rejection of medical treatment, and so many other things that can only be called "sins" that it threatens my self-imposed limit on sentence length.

You happen to be (presumably) a mainstream Protestant Christian at a time and in a place where mainstream Protestant Christian leaders guide their followers into ethical behavior. But it has not always been so. Read up on the Reformation, a period of almost non-stop warfare among competing sects. Or the support of the pious German Lutherans for Hitler. The American churches who advocated cleansing the land of Indians and/or enslaving Africans. In any case you Protestants are newcomers. When you've had as long a history as the Catholics, perhaps you too will have destroyed a couple of "heathen" civilizations. Muslims think their religion is just as unerring as you do, and look at what it has inspired a whole lot of them to do? The Jews finally stopped being persecuted and to celebrate they've decided to persecute somebody else.

As I pointed out earlier, the followers of the Abrahamic religions have, averaged over time, perpetrated far more evil than good on this planet. As I already noted, there is no way to atone for the complete annihilation of two Bronze Age civilizations. This is something that can never be forgiven, and this is as good a reason as any to be wary, skeptical and intolerant of Christianity forever.

Is this what you want me to do in order to make God happy? Fuck the bastard! I would much rather be absorbed back into the earth when I die, than to live for all eternity with crap like that on my conscience and some powerful crazy evil leering creature from another dimension praising me for it.
. . . .but if he is real and you had faith then you go to heaven, if you didn't have faith then you don't.
There are worse things than not going to heaven. Being a complete asshole because the leaders of your religion tell you God wants it is on top of the list.
the only thing i will make comment on this, where is the evidence for a closed system?
It is never necessary to prove a negative. The burden of proof is always on the person who asserts the positive. If someone claims that there is indeed an invisible, illogical supernatural universe from which creatures and other forces act to thwart the natural forces of this universe, it is up to them to provide the supporting evidence. There is none.
. . . . science is looking for evidence in the wrong places.
The natural universe is the only place there is. This principle has undergone such rigorous testing for so long without coming close to being falsified, that any contradiction of it now falls into the category of "extraordinary assertions" so the Rule of Laplace applies. The person making the assertion must provide extraordinary supporting evidence (e.g., not something their father told them) before we are obliged to treat them with respect. SciForums is not an academy so the rules are relaxed, but we still demand ordinary evidence and no one has even been able to show us that. The best we've got is "God is in my mind." Yeah there are lots of wackos out there with weird shit in their minds.
you cannot get an accurate measurement if you are trying to use the wrong test equipment.
I see that metaphors can be carefully chosen to deflect an argument. Our "test equipment" is the entire natural universe. Pray tell what else is there? Something imaginary?
it is very irresponsible of religion to dismiss science.
Most don't. Many church-supported universities have fine science departments whose graduates go on to achieve greatness.
. . . . but it is also irresponsible of science to argue the same way.
Aside from a few loudmouths like Dawkins who give us all a bad name, most of us don't go around making that argument. However, this is a science website and this subforum is called "Comparative Religion," so if you come here you should have a reasonable expectation that this is one of the few places where that argument will be taking place. Duh?
just because religion invalidates science is not a reason for science to invalidate God.
Indeed. The reason to invalidate gods is the Rule of Laplace. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, to use Sagan's more concise 20th-century version.
While humans are considered natural, what they create is not. Therefore, we can assume that the creation of any mind is not natural. That being the case if there was a God and he did create the universe, then that universe would not be nateral.
This argument is taken from philosophy. This is not one of the philosophy boards and to use it here is disingenuous. In the context of science, the natural universe is governed by the laws of nature. Humans are components of the natural universe and everything we do obeys those laws. To arbitrarily say that what humans do is unnatural, while the nests that birds build and the sticks that chimpanzees fashion into tools are not, is to adopt the anthropocentric model of the universe that seduces the religionists. "We're here so we must be special. Even God thinks so."

The supernatural universe postulated by the religionists and other supernaturalists is said not to be subject to the laws of nature. This is why gods and other fantastic creatures (allegedly) can appear and disappear at will, why they can change the weather, why they can set bushes on fire, why they can turn people into salt, and (my personal favorite) why they can raise sea level worldwide to an elevation that far exceeds the total mass of water molecules on, in, and around the planet.

This is what is not natural, because if it actually happened it would violate several natural laws. Cutting down a tree, chopping it up into pieces, and reassembling it into a house does not violate any of the laws of nature. It appears to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics by increasing order, but it does so by decreasing order in the surrounding areas by a greater amount, so no actual violation has occurred.

It is never necessary to prove a negative. The burden of proof is always on the person who asserts the positive.
i can see that in the court system..if someone accuses you of being a child molester,the burden of proof is on you to prove you are not..(how does one do that?)
but then again the same argument applies to murderers also..(cept the opposite)

If someone claims that there is indeed an invisible, illogical supernatural universe from which creatures and other forces act to thwart the natural forces of this universe
i still argue that God does not have to be supernatural as defined by man these days..God made nature,he is perfectly capable of working within his own creation without the need for any 'super'.

SciForums is not an academy so the rules are relaxed, but we still demand ordinary evidence and no one has even been able to show us that.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence,
i don't claim extraordinary..i claim ordinary,natural..

i don't claim extraordinary..i claim ordinary,natural..

You claim an entity which operates without regard to the known laws of physics.

This is extraordinary and supernatural, not withstanding your claims that it is not.

No Squirrel, you're simply using semantics to support an unsupportable position.

No Squirrel, you're simply using semantics to support an unsupportable position.

since when is ANY supposition/claim/theory/idea/whatever about God, accepted by the non-believer?
it all comes down to Respect those that don't believe the same as you.

i do not believe that God has to be supernatural to exist.
i do not believe in God as an excuse to dismiss science.(hence why i am here on a science board.)
i actually have a limited science degree..(if one counts electronics as science)

i can see that in the court system..if someone accuses you of being a child molester,the burden of proof is on you to prove you are not..(how does one do that?)
That is not true in the United States. The accuser must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you have committed a crime, before you can be convicted. This means that the jury must vote unanimously against you or you walk out free. This is one of the reasons why a defendant is not required to testify. The burden of proof is not his.

Of course in the "court of public opinion" the rules do not apply. I'm free to believe that O.J. did it. I can refuse to rent him an apartment, to sell him groceries, to let him join my club or to give him a job. But the government must honor the verdict, which means they can't put him in jail.

In the case of child molestation (a quaint term from my day) most Americans today assume guilt, even though we all remember being children and lying our asses off to adults every time we opened our mouths. This has caused many tragedies. When the children grow up and decide to clear their consciences by telling the truth, lives have already been ruined.
i still argue that God does not have to be supernatural as defined by man these days. God made nature,he is perfectly capable of working within his own creation without the need for any 'super'. i don't claim extraordinary..i claim ordinary,natural.
You seem to be in the realm of the Cosmic Watchmaker hypothesis. Since we haven't yet unlocked all the mysteries of the Big Bang (I say it was merely a very large temporally and spatially local reversal of entropy, which the Second Law clearly permits, but I agree that just a tiny amount of supporting evidence would be nice) we haven't completely ruled out the possibility that somebody put it together, wound it up, and is sitting there passively watching his own creation run down its spring to a state of maximum entropy, perhaps not even being able to predict everything it will do along the way.

The problem with this is that it does not answer the question of where the universe came from, but merely expands it. The definition of the universe is "everything that exists." Clearly this dude exists or he wouldn't be able to go around manipulating enormous quantities of matter and energy. Therefore he is part of the universe, which is now waaaay larger (and surely more complicated) than we thought it was.

So okay dude, where did he come from? You haven't answered the question. All you did was make it harder.

it all comes down to Respect those that don't believe the same as you.

I can respect a person and still think their belief is a crock of shit.

i do not believe that God has to be supernatural to exist.

If your god operates outside of and without regard of the laws of physics, it is supernatural.

If your god operates according to the laws of physics, it's redundent and an unnecessary complication.

I can respect a person and still think their belief is a crock of shit.
you can also show respect by saying you don't believe the same without insulting their beliefs..

BTW saying someone else's beliefs are a crock, is not respect.

Then how about you setting an example?

How about you respecting us?
where the hell did that question come from???

i have been..i have never told anyone that their beliefs are wrong,bullshit, or anything like that..all i have been doing is sharing what i believe and answering questions..

does anyone else here think i have showed any lack of respect?

yea,right,like i really know where God comes from..
Well then you'd better get started, hadn't you? Science is all about solving mysteries, not throwing our hands up in the air and saying, "Oh shit, I'll never figure this out so I might as well give up.."
you can also show respect by saying you don't believe the same without insulting their beliefs. BTW saying someone else's beliefs are a crock, is not respect.
Some beliefs are patently ridiculous and do not merit respect. We are not obliged to respect the toddler's belief that Santa Claus delivered all his Christmas presents, nor the Redneck's belief that people with dark skin have low IQs and hyperactive libidos, nor the religionist's belief that the operation of the natural universe is perturbed by forces emanating from an invisible, illogical supernatural universe who talk to him--but only inside his head.

didn't someone say something about being good to get into heaven? that is not the point of being 'good' or ethical. it's for it's own cause to produce more good. this type of reasoning is why people have been able to be talked into doing atrocious things in the name of religion or gods because they are not actually considering how that what they are doing is atrocious in itself.

heaven, metaphorically explained, is supposed to be a place where that good is honored or is totally abundant.

"Some beliefs are patently ridiculous and do not merit respect. We are not obliged to respect the toddler's belief that Santa Claus delivered all his Christmas presents, nor the Redneck's belief that people with dark skin have low IQs and hyperactive libidos, nor the religionist's belief that the operation of the natural universe is perturbed by forces emanating from an invisible, illogical supernatural universe who talk to him--but only inside his head.

U1, God is a purple unicorn.
U2, if you want to believe that God is a little purple unicorn,that is fine,i do not believe that,nor will you convince me of such. you are allowed to believe what you want to believe, just as I am allowed to believe what i believe.

no disrespect shown to user or idea,and communicated own disbelief.

btw most of the more wild beliefs will eventually be rethought,there is an element of validity that changes ones beliefs over time..
(if no one else believed that God is a purple unicorn, the belief would eventually die)

yea,right,like i really know where God comes from..

That pretty much settles the "where" question, doesn't it?

Would you happen to know more about the "when" part? When was it that this God of yours created the Universe? Was it 14-15 billion years ago, as the current understanding of Science indicates? Or some other time?

Back