Atheist or Theist. If you are one do you look down on the other?

I find, the fact that you believe you are obviously rationally superior, on the basis of title, very irrational.

Rationalism isn't a garb you claim because you are atheist, to be rational, you have to actually be rational.

Jan.

Being rational involves the disbelief of FLYING ZOMBIES. I have no idea how you can claim that people who believe in FLYING ZOMBIES could be more rational.

Alot of atheists seem to think that because they are atheists, they are somehow smarter than theists. This is not the case. Many atheists are in fact more foolish.

Alot of atheists seem to think that because they are atheists, they are somehow smarter than theists. This is not the case. Many atheists are in fact more foolish.

Perhaps not in every case. But I guarantee you that atheists are generally more educated.

The more atheistic a society, the more literate the society. This is just a fact.

As a Theist do you look down on Atheists as if you are better and more important than they are?, do you see yourself as superior and more intelligent than non believers?.

No, everyone has a right to believe whatever they want to believe. Just because someone believes differently than I do does not make me any better than them. Nor does it make them any better than me. I don't see Theists as being anymore superior or intelligent than Atheists or vice-versa.

do you have respect for them and the beliefs they hold as individuals?.

I respect them as human beings and I respect the fact the what they believe is their choice to make, not mine.

Sorry but I do look down on theists.
I just can't get over the fact that despite whatever else goes on in their heads, whatever intelligent thought and rational reasoning, when it comes to scientific reasoning, evidence and belief pertaining to deities, they are off with the pixies.

Sorry but I do look down on theists.
I just can't get over the fact that despite whatever else goes on in their heads, whatever intelligent thought and rational reasoning, when it comes to scientific reasoning, evidence and belief pertaining to deities, they are off with the pixies.

And you believe that of every single theist?
What would you accept as evidence for the existence of God?

jan.

jan said:
Whatever it would be, you haven't got it.

But you accept the evidence you do have - contrary to reason, to principle, and to honest recognition of common reality.

And you believe that of every single theist?

jan.

Well the god of the bible is always interfering with the world in a physical way.

Something like that would help.

Perhaps not in every case. But I guarantee you that atheists are generally more educated.

The more atheistic a society, the more literate the society. This is just a fact.

both of you pulling facts out of ur arse.

i think atheists feel smarter because they weren't indoctrinated by something well designed to indoctrinate people.

both of you pulling facts out of ur arse.

i think atheists feel smarter because they weren't indoctrinated by something well designed to indoctrinate people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

"I'm not saying that believing in God makes you dumber. My hypothesis is that people with a low intelligence are more easily drawn toward religions, which give answers that are certain, while people with a high intelligence are more skeptical,"

"Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population. Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God,"

"Literally-oriented religious Believers did not differ significantly from Mythologically-oriented Believers on measures of intelligence, authoritarianism, or racial prejudice. Religious Believers as a group were found to be significantly less intelligent and more authoritarian than religious Skeptics."

In the US, according to raw data from the 2004 General Social Survey, those with graduate degrees were the least likely to believe in the afterlife or the Bible as the word of God, suggesting a link between religious belief and lower educational attainment

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence & religion.htm

"Whereas 90% of the general population has a distinct belief in a personal god and a life after death, only 40% of scientists on the B.S. level favor this belief in religion and merely 10 % of those who are considered 'eminent' scientists believe in a personal god or in an afterlife."

A recent survey of members of the National Academy of Sciences showed that 72% are outright atheists, 21% are agnostic and only 7% admit to belief in a personal God.

Studied group with IQ's over 140. Of men, 10 percent held strong religious belief, of women 18 percent. Sixty-two percent of men and 57 percent of women claimed "little religious inclination" while 28 percent of the men and 23 percent of the women claimed it was "not at all important."

I think there's more than enough in those 2 urls to prove I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

But my main point was to point out the clear difference in intelligence between fundamentalist christians in the USA compared with the rest of the population. You don't need stats to prove that fundamentalist christians are more idiotic than the rest of the population.

Back