Atheism, Evolution and Environmental conservation

Geez louise, you guys keep changing the meaning of all the words!

Now if anyone tells me he is agnostic, I have to remember to ask whether it relates to God or politics.

As far as I knew, an agnostic was the counter to a gnostic or the path of ultimate reality through Jesus [or God]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Yup. That is it. Everything is evolution. War, holocaust, starvation, extinction. Its all natural. Conservationism is also evolution. :p
I guess you missed the point.
An atheist's son is falling off a building. He rushes over the help him. Even though he believes in gravity. Fucking hypocrite.

Last edited:
On the contrary, the environmental future is quite well known. Haven't you heard all the fuss about climate change, environmental degradation, pollution, etc.? Taking action to address issues raised by scientific evidence is not a faith-based approach. It's simple common sense.
1) you are assuming, for some reason, that I am questioning the liklihood of the problems you mentioned
2) yes, I have heard of those things
3) simple common sense, it could be argued, is not necessarily the logical, reasoned out (or even correct) rational process that atheists often deride theists for NOT using in relation to God. Simple common sense will also run up against a lot of problems in relation to things we know from science. I think in this context an appeal to simply common sense shows that you don't get what SAM is up to here - which is why I was trying to cut down on the amount of time it took before you caught on - and highlights her point. One person's common sense is another person's supernatural or politically motivated belief.

I think SAM's case here, which is generally implied rather than directly stated, has problems, but I also think is does present the edge of a sticky issue for atheists. How much intuition/common sense (as one sees it)/faith is one allowed to have before it becomes categorized as irrational.

I've read your posts. I am sure you have reached conclusions about, for example, climate change, via reading and analysis, etc. But SAM is cutting below such specifics. She is asking why atheists would be conservationists and be concerned about an unknowable future. Something that is not here, that is not tangible, nor can it be tested. I think another tack she could take is why are atheists who are often determinists would be concerned about the future. It is what it is (already in a sense). Their concerns and beliefs about what should be done must be all admitted to be irrational. Especially if they are over say, 50 and stand a reasonable chance of dying 'naturally' before the whole thing falls apart. In fact a moment's reflection on this quote of yours.

the environmental future is quite well known
is philosophically interesting. You are speaking about the future as if it was existant. You are also implying, in fact stating, that the future will be a certain way. Both of these qualities raise issues for atheists in relation to their behavior, for example around conservationism and epistemology.

The atheist can come back and say that given what we know about the past and the changes we have witnessed we can considers certain futures more likely than others and also that it is overwhelmingly likely that there will be a world here and so on. So the atheist can feel that belief in a God and belief in the liklihood of certain futures are beliefs of different kinds, the latter also being more likely. I don't find this completely adequate. I disagree with SAM that the two beliefs are the same, yet, at the same time I think there is a degree of working from axioms that are not and really cannot be tested involved. (remember this is in a philosophy forum where issues like the existence of the future can come up in ways that are not practical for most scientists).

Curling up in her post's is also a critique, I believe, in that while atheists certainly can have and do have values and concerns and ethics, THESE MUST BE GROUNDED ON FAITH. Evolution is evolution. There is no objective value without a God. We can have desires, but we cannot argue, for example, that diversity of species is good, unless we are appealing to what she would class as irrational justifications - casting this idea back at the atheists.

This does not mean that atheists have no values, but that their values are based on an irrational leap. If they allow themselves this irrational leap - and a look through the forums will find atheists quite sure that the war in Iraq was right (or wrong), that abortion should be legal (generally) and so on. The consider their positions rational.

Objectively (given the beliefs of many athiests) both a Mad Max future and a sustainable diverse set of diverse ecosystems future are neutral.

My double reaction to SAM's writing in this thread can be seen in this post and the one above it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by scorpius
so as you can see; atheists morality beats your religious nuts again!

now give me one good reason why shouldnt we eliminate all the religious loonies who are danger to us, from this world?

SAM said:
I suppose this is an apt demonstration of atheist "morality". At least, from historical evidence.
strictly MINE own,

now do tell,
what does quran tell you have to do to anyone who doesnt share your religion?

you see, ...you get what you give,
and until you start respecting everyones beliefs you are a threat to all!

I've have never met anyone who respected everyone's beliefs. Have you? .
yes,I do respect everyones beliefs,no matter how silly,dont bother me none,its your life youre wasting...
you can even try to convert me,
however so far ,everyone from Jehovas Witless to Jebus freaks and ALL others always left disapointed and some even damn near in tears when the simple logic started to sink in.

I think Ive heard all the silly arguments for god already, from cant see the wind or electricity up to you'll BURN in HELL sinner,lunacy...
they are all so pathetic and childish, perhaps its just evolutions way of making some people gullible and exploitable for the good of others smarter ones,.only reason I can come up with why some believe such nonsense...

its when they start preaching hate and kill the Infidels etc...
is when I,and all atheists simply have to stand up defend ourselves against these Islamo (and xian) fascists..

yes,I do respect everyones beliefs,no matter how silly,dont bother me none,its your life youre wasting...

is when I,and all atheists simply have to stand up defend ourselves against these Islamo (and xian) fascists..

Do you respect the beliefs of the people you stand up to defend yourself against?

Troll,

So you think one should discard the past to obtain a broader perspective?

No, but you have to see religion for what it is: Myth. If you hold those ancient texts to be true, then you prevent yourself from progressing. I point to stem cell research, which in the US is behind the times in comparison to other Western societies because of religious dogma.

I'm not saying you should just forget what role religion played in human civilization, but religion by nature forces civilization to remain in place, which is why you have to understand it but move on from it. Saying we should keep those myths as belief systems today is like saying we should plan our space exploration missions under the premise that the sun revolves around the Earth.

you can even try to convert me,
however so far ,everyone from Jehovas Witless to Jebus freaks and ALL others always left disapointed and some even damn near in tears when the simple logic started to sink in.

I think Ive heard all the silly arguments for god already, from cant see the wind or electricity up to you'll BURN in HELL sinner,lunacy...
they are all so pathetic and childish, perhaps its just evolutions way of making some people gullible and exploitable for the good of others smarter ones,.only reason I can come up with why some believe such nonsense...

Now I understand what you mean by 'respect' more clearly. I think you are using the word oddly and this led to miscommunication.

2) You obviously don't respect these people or their beliefs.

No, I don't respect other people's beliefs. Why should I? When have we ever, as a people, respected beliefs? If I disagree, I'll always challenge you, just like people will always challenge me when they disagree.

No, I don't respect other people's beliefs. Why should I? When have we ever, as a people, respected beliefs? If I disagree, I'll always challenge you, just like people will always challenge me when they disagree.
Why did you respond to my post to Scorpius who says he respects everyone's beliefs? Did you understand what I said to him? He says he respects everyone's beliefs. I point out that he clearly does not respect them. You hop in and say something assinine. I thought you read the posts. I thought you somehow thought scorpius was making sense when he said he respects people. At least you have the honesty to say you don't respect everyone's beliefs - something I said above about myself. You're a real tough guy but you should learn to read.

That's actually my bad. I saw the last few posts and figured this was another "You should respect other people's beliefs" argument. My bad.

I agree. But I like to think of myself as more fair than that. How can I expect anyone else to hold themselves to any sort of standard in an argument if I don't hold myself to any?

Back