Artificial Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you propose to get proof for a soul from ancient texts of which we don't even know what to take literal and what to take figurative ?

We don't need them to get proof for a soul.

Let us use only ourselves; do we have a soul? I do not know. I'd like to think we do.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean a soul in a religious sense, but rather, I think we all have some sort of life energy. Call it a soul, call it The Force, whatever you call it, I think there is something like that.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean a soul in a religious sense, but rather, I think we all have some sort of life energy. Call it a soul, call it The Force, whatever you call it, I think there is something like that.

Complex organization ?

That's correct, myths and legends. Not history books.

i think myths and legends can be called history books because they contain history.

How do you propose to get proof for a soul from ancient texts of which we don't even know what to take literal and what to take figurative ?

the soul is mentioned in several hundred myths. why would they mention it in every religion if there's not some truth in it?

it's also easy to see what is figurative and what is literal. but if you can't see it, read what the theosophists say. they agree with me about almost everything, so they obviously know what they're talking about.

i think myths and legends can be called history books because they contain history.

the soul is mentioned in several hundred myths. why would they mention it in every religion if there's not some truth in it?

it's also easy to see what is figurative and what is literal. but if you can't see it, read what the theosophists say. they agree with me about almost everything, so they obviously know what they're talking about.

Dragons appear in several hundred myths.. so do dwarves and pixies etc.
Where are they ?

Dragons appear in several hundred myths.. so do dwarves and pixies etc.
Where are they ?

good question. dwarves may have existed as real physical people. you've probably heard of Homo floresiensis. as for dragons and pixies, they are the same kind of spirit entities which in our modern society manifest in the appearance of UFO's (flying saucers) and aliens.

good question. dwarves may have existed as real physical people. you've probably heard of Homo floresiensis. as for dragons and pixies, they are the same kind of spirit entities which in our modern society manifest in the appearance of UFO's (flying saucers) and aliens.

So according to you ANY mythical creature really existed (or still exists) ?

So according to you ANY mythical creature really existed (or still exists) ?

no, many of them are just metaphorical. like the unicorn and centaur. the dragon might refer to some prehistoric animal like a dinosaur (humans already existed back then). but usually the dragon too is a just metaphor. the dragon is closely related (and often identical) to the serpent, which is a real creature, but it's used as a metaphor in the bible etc.

but this has nothing to do with A.I. so we shouldn't talk about it.

Here's a good article that brings up my points: how can we determine real self awareness from simply good programming to mimic self awareness?

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/computers become self aware.htm

"So the programmes get better and computers start to act is if they are smart, but in reality they are still merely following pre-programmed instructions."

So, if the computer programs itself like humans do, then would that work?

Only two centuries ago, we could explain everything about everything, out of pure reason, and now most of that elaborate and harmonious structure has come apart before our eyes. We are dumb..... We have discovered how to ask important questions, and now we really do need, as an urgent matter, some answers. We now know that we cannot do this any longer by searching our minds, for there is not enough there to search, nor can we find the truth by guessing at it or by making up stories for ourselves. We cannot stop where we are, stuck with today's level of understanding, nor can we go back. I do not see that we have any real choice in this, for I can see only the one way ahead. We need science, more and better science, not for its technology, not for leisure, not even for health and longevity, but for the hope of wisdom which our kind of culture must acquire for its survival. - Lewis Thomas, 1979

There is a good book that can provide insight in to artificial intelligence and super human intelligence.

How Brains Think: evolving intelligence then and now - William H. Calvin

It is worth reading. Any one wants to comment and discuss the book, start a new thread and do so. This would be interesting as I am using some of the ideas for a new project.

We can not replace Human brain with a machine

Artificial Intelligence (AI) has started its way from knowledge base systems where basic information is read from a database. As AI tries to get smarter the need for bigger and bigger knowledge database became a must (Problem!) then comes the Neural Network- A system that does not depend on database but learns to identify things by training. However as you employ more and more cells into this NN system, it becomes unpredictable as to what it is going to learn. We humans have roughly about 100 billion neurons in our body. Think about using NN with 1 Million cells and the kind of training you can give provide and the results you can expect----Crazy! The other direction, you wanna try statistical methods--GOOD LUCK!

Oh! you know what? a new research promises through brain signal wave analysis, robots could well be integrated into reading human brain and perform actions. But forget about a thinking robot with emotions. May be don't give up but I don't see a 100% safe, smart, robot at this time. May be my Grand-G-G-10^-10G-Grand child will see a vision.

For now, just appreciate Allah/God for what he gave us.

"So the programmes get better and computers start to act is if they are smart, but in reality they are still merely following pre-programmed instructions."

So, if the computer programs itself like humans do, then would that work?
Don't humans also follow pre-programmed instructions? The main difference is that human actions are just too complicated to be predicted exactly. A sufficiently large computer brain would be the same.

Don't humans also follow pre-programmed instructions? The main difference is that human actions are just too complicated to be predicted exactly. A sufficiently large computer brain would be the same.

It is more like the Operating System. Everything else is built on top of it. That is why if a human loses the input early on in the childhood, then that person does not recover well...a born blind person receiving sight at age 50 would be miserable in society etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back