Are little white lies ok? (yes or no)

I don't mind little white lies. I use them all the time. If somebody calls me to chill, and I don't want to, it's better to say, "I'm not feeling well" as opposed to "I don't want to see your face".

I don't mind little white lies. I use them all the time. If somebody calls me to chill, and I don't want to, it's better to say, "I'm not feeling well" as opposed to "I don't want to see your face".

I'd rather have my friends be honest with me and say, "Nah, I'm not in the mood. Maybe next time. I'm doing ____ instead."
That's why I am honest with them.

OK, then why does a fairy sneak into your house and take teeth? Don't know do ya?! Well, that's the reason

:bugeye: It doesn't as far as I know. :bugeye:

"Your tooth fell out? Cool, let me see it. Now there's room for the new "adult" teeth to grow in. You're growing up! Get your slingshot, we'll see if we can freak the neighbors out." :D

I'd rather have my friends be honest with me and say, "Nah, I'm not in the mood. Maybe next time. I'm doing ____ instead."
That's why I am honest with them.

I suppose it depends on your friends. I have some friends that would be perfectly fine if I said your excuse, while some others would get kinda pissed.

that is so incredibly mean to do to a 5 yr old.
In our family-
Santa/Easter Bunny in our family come to your house as long as you believe. When you quit believing Mom and Dad have to take over.
Tooth Fairy - Wants only good baby teeth. Gives them to God to put in newborn babies. That's why good teeth get more money, bad teeth get a dime. You can't give babies bad teeth to start with.

Myths are fine as long as one knows it's a myth, especially one of the archetype type(?) myths.
But when a culture insists on perpetrating the myth, that is known to be false, as truth...

I suppose it depends on your friends. I have some friends that would be perfectly fine if I said your excuse, while some others would get kinda pissed.

That's their problem, not mine.
They need to get over their own feelings of inadequacy and insecurity, and not put them on me.

then why make a wish when you blow out candles? You all against that as well?

They can make a wish, there's nothing wrong with that.
I would object to telling them that some magical faerie was going to catch that wish, whisk it up to faerieland and have all their friends make it come true for them.

And you have friends with that attitude?

Yes.
Friends that appreciate the fact that I am an honest, forthright person.
Anyone who doesn't appreciate that quality, wouldn't want to be my friend, and vice versa.

They know they can trust whatever I say.
I am the first person my friends turn to if they want an honest opinion or advice.

They can make a wish, there's nothing wrong with that.
I would object to telling them that some magical faerie was going to catch that wish, whisk it up to faerieland and have all their friends make it come true for them.

But your wishes will never ever come true because you blew out candles. Its like praying to god.
If they say "My wish came true" do you say. Oh, that's just a coicidence. It has nothing to do with anythign you wished.

But your wishes will never ever come true because you blew out candles. Its like praying to god.
It's EXACTLY like praying to God.

If they say "My wish came true" do you say. Oh, that's just a coicidence. It has nothing to do with anythign you wished.
If your prayers/wishes come true it's not just simple, unconnected coincidence, but it's not because faeries/God came and made your wish come true either.

so my kids tooth fairy is unacceptable to you, but your kids blowing out candles/wishing isn't.
sounds fair.

I'm too damn honest and really don't have but a very few friends because of that honesty. I try to be tactful as to how to put things but I just don't have that down very well.

so my kids tooth fairy is unacceptable to you, but your kids blowing out candles/wishing isn't.
sounds fair.

I didn't say it is unacceptable to me, I said I wouldn't do it.
I'm not judging you at all.

To me there is a vast difference between hoping for what you want, and lying to my children.
For example, I wouldn't tell my child that whatever they wish for will come true - because they could be wishing to turn their big brother into a big, blue puppy.

It's a good thing to hope for what you want and have a positive attitude, but to tell them that some faerie will grant their wishes sets them up for disappointment in more than one way:
They will be disappointed when little Liam doesn't turn into a big, blue puppy.
They will be learning to simply wish for what you want (as opposed to working for it) and it will always happen - which is obviously not true.

Back