Anyone can read the Bible. - Really?

@Rob --

Oh, I don't think I'd have a problem learning the theists here a thing or two. Not only was I a theist for most of my life, but I even went to seminary and my "fall" began from what I learned there.

@Rob --

Oh, I don't think I'd have a problem learning the theists here a thing or two. Not only was I a theist for most of my life, but I even went to seminary and my "fall" began from what I learned there.
Did they teach you about the Spirit of Truth? Not the Holy Spirit but the Spirit of truth.
:)

Ah. And how do you know that he wasn't speaking metaphorically? That is, after all, what we were taught.

Somewhere along the way, you have to make judgements. Or else you could spend your entire life looking for the "right interpretation" to something that has no "right interpretation".

By "you have to make judgements" you mean something like 'you have to decide whether this or that is true or false; and if it is true, embrace it, and if it is false, reject it'?

By "you have to make judgements" you mean something like 'you have to decide whether this or that is true or false; and if it is true, embrace it, and if it is false, reject it'?
Basically, yes.

When I was in my mid-twenties (about 30 years ago) I came to the conclusion that God and Jesus were real. Not through any logical means, but in my "heart" it just felt right. So I studied the Bible in order to discover the "truth".

I read the book and tried to reconcile all the logical inconsistenices. Those I couldn't reconcile, I asked those who "knew" and watched all the hoops they tried to jump through to make it all make sense.

I can honestly say, that it was sincere heart felt attempt to understand it that brought me to the conclusion that it's all fable and myth. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Myth and fable can be very powerful and can contain some deep insights.

Then again, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy contains many deep insights on human nature too.

Basically, yes.

When I was in my mid-twenties (about 30 years ago) I came to the conclusion that God and Jesus were real. Not through any logical means, but in my "heart" it just felt right. So I studied the Bible in order to discover the "truth".

I read the book and tried to reconcile all the logical inconsistenices. Those I couldn't reconcile, I asked those who "knew" and watched all the hoops they tried to jump through to make it all make sense.

I can honestly say, that it was sincere heart felt attempt to understand it that brought me to the conclusion that it's all fable and myth. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Myth and fable can be very powerful and can contain some deep insights.

Then again, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy contains many deep insights on human nature too.

Would you ever reject something on the grounds of "I don't know, I don't understand"?

Or is it that for you, it is possible to reject something only if you are convinced it is wrong/false/bad?

gmilam,

What was it that felt right?
And why did you conclude ''God and Jesus'' were ''real''?

What was it that made you decide ''God and Jesus'' WASN'T ''real''?
What was that feeling in your heart, that felt right?

jan.

@Rob --

Now why is that? Could it be possible that all you have is testimonial which isn't evidence? And is it possible that you don't really know it but have faith in it?

Yeah, you're definitely out of your league here.

@Rob --

Now why is that? Could it be possible that all you have is testimonial which isn't evidence? And is it possible that you don't really know it but have faith in it?

Yeah, you're definitely out of your league here.
I've just got up from a good night's sleep so, fill me in on what I have missed.
Me out of my league , what are you on about?

@Rob --

All you have to do is follow my posts. First you say that I need to learn some things, I mentioned that I could almost assuredly "learn" you theists a thing or two about your religion, you ask me about "the spirit of truth", I thought you were talking about the televangelist.

You then make the outrageous claim that you know for a fact that such a spirit exists and when I ask you to provide evidence you tell me that you can only do so privately. Now, I'm not an "expert"(though I am close) but it seems to me that if you have evidence on something of this magnitude then everyone around us would have a right to know such important information.

The conclusion I've reached due to this exchange is that you're far, far less educated about religion than I am. You're out of your league here.

Back