Any atheists here who were once believers?

I've copied it so you won't delete it.

That is an odd question, for you want me to tell you where your friend is. OK I don't need to know anything about her other than she is your friend.
Now no doubt I will be given an answer and you will want proof, so really the answer should go directly to you. So my first prayer is this: Lord Jesus you have heard ......'s cry and so have many others Lord. Please tell her where her friend is in a dream tonight.
Give her the courage to tell us the answer tomorrow. (12:00 midday NZ time)
Amen.

An update from this post.
I had no dream about my friend...no dreams at all, actually. (that I can recall)
I don't dream much, but experts ''claim'' that everyone dreams I thought? But, maybe we all don't remember our dreams, or something.
I saw your comment in your music thread...thanks for your prayers, and thinking of my friend. :eek:
If we just go into the ground after we die...maybe that is an end to all the suffering. Another way to view it.

@ Mazulu -- Aw, I think you seem smart, you just have a spiritual side. But, science will never solve the ''God'' equation. No matter how much you want it to. :eek:

Jan says "That assumption is bound up in your worldview. You say there is no evidence for God (I can only assume by ''evidence'' you mean scientific evidence), yet so many people believe in God.
Why isn't that evidence for you? "

Why should that be considered evidence? People believe in ghosts, UFO's , in the past people believed in Zeus, and many other gods along with witches, and many other concepts that aren't real.

Why is people currently believing in God any more evidence for God than that type of behavior was in the past for witches?

God is my heat shield ;)

what does this mean, Mazulu?

Jan says "That assumption is bound up in your worldview. You say there is no evidence for God (I can only assume by ''evidence'' you mean scientific evidence), yet so many people believe in God.
Why isn't that evidence for you? "

Why should that be considered evidence? People believe in ghosts, UFO's , in the past people believed in Zeus, and many other gods although with witches, and many other concepts that aren't real.

Why is people currently believing in God any more evidence for God that that type of behavior was in the past for witches?

When you believe in God, you may feel that your life is better for it; you have a joy or a peace about it. Maybe that is what a believer means by 'evidence.' (putting aside the Bible; some feel that is evidence, also.)

By looking at first principles, not adding anything, and applying Occam's razor. This will at least lead to conclusions.
Whether one accepts the conclusions, however... I am not aware of instructions, although I do know that hypnotism can work on some, and that it is possible to manipulate people into accepting things they might not otherwise want to (just google Derren Brown).
But other than that... Nope.
If it was that easy, though... ;)

What are those "first principles"?

An update from this post.
I had no dream about my friend...no dreams at all, actually. (that I can recall)
I don't dream much, but experts ''claim'' that everyone dreams I thought? But, maybe we all don't remember our dreams, or something.
I saw your comment in your music thread...thanks for your prayers, and thinking of my friend. :eek:
If we just go into the ground after we die...maybe that is an end to all the suffering. Another way to view it.
Try try and try again. It's early yet. There were noises in my room like a poltergiest. Was it an earthquake or was there a mouse in the cupboard. It felt spooky but I was too tired to respond.
Nothing about an Earthquake at midnight our time! I was sure there was a small Earthquake.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

Try try and try again. It's early yet. There were noises in my room like a poltergiest. Was it an earthquake or was there a mouse in the cupboard. It felt spooky but I was too tired to respond.
Nothing about an Earthquake at midnight our time! I was sure there was a small Earthquake.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

nightmares can seem that way. :eek:

The old "I know you are but what am I" defense. Classic Kindergarten stuff right there.

lol
sometimes, it works. ;)

Lol @ Sarkus

@ Wynn: I read your comment about still thinking about all of this as a Christian. I thought about that today. It will take me time to shed those old views and negative feelings about spirituality. It shaped me so, I'm a work in progress. But, I read your points, so you know.

The interesting thing is that most of us who don't believe have some experience with religion (not everyone I'm sure).

I get the feeling that one is not alone and how it might be comforting. Santa makes me feel good when I think about Santa or the Christmas holidays as a child. It doesn't make me think that anything about it is real however.

I went to church as a kid. I get the feeling of walking into a large church with stained glass windows with an organ playing Bach. It can be a nice feeling. I was always aware that it was the environment and the idea of a God rather than an actual God.

It may turn out that the whole "experiment" of religion is really just an experiment in psychology and in the individuality or variety of human behavior. It's interesting when viewed in that light to me.

I think it's also interesting to view it as a cult. Not to be insulting to believers but just as a construct to understand religion better. A cult is an extreme example and it's usually easier to visual something if you take the extremes.

People wonder why religion has lasted so long if it isn't "real". It's constructed to do just that as is a cult. If you teach people to not question or to consider that questions coming into your head are really from the "devil" then this serves to prolong the existence of the religion.

Saying that God is mysterious and works in mysterious ways is doing the same thing. Cults have lead people to willingly commit mass suicide. It's a controlling thing. Religion is doing the same thing but it's just a step down (barely) from a cult.

Nevertheless, many of us non-believers have experienced the religious life to varying degrees. The people who stay in it longer (I wonder) may have been those in a more fundamental religious environment (church/family/ or part of the country). Some people are more predisposed to strong religious feelings as well I would guess.

I do find the discussion (rather than the argument/debates) on this subject matter to be interesting (both sides).

The only self-evident thing is "I exist".

This is the comment I was referring to, Sarkus. It made me smile. :)
I know you were being serious with the comment but it is funny when applying it to all we have been talking about here.

@ Seattle - yep. Agree, it has been helpful to me to read the different viewpoints all through the thread.

Thanks everyone! :)

Excuse me for picking your post to illustrate {with red inserts} the wide spread confused use of the words "real" and "reality" which have three very different meanings as I discussed here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ce-believers&p=3116183&viewfull=1#post3116183
... Santa makes me feel good when I think about Santa or the Christmas holidays as a child. It doesn't make me think that anything about it is real however. {Santa is P-real, especially for the young, S-real, especially for merchants, but not O-real for almost all.}

... It may turn out that the whole "experiment" of religion is really just an experiment in psychology ... {hardly and "experiment." Religions is P real for believers, S-real and not O-real}...
I know few, if any, will adopt this P, S, & O marking to be clear when speaking of Personal, Social, and Objective, realities, but they are very different concepts and quite confused as one in much of this thread. God is P-real for some and many of them think that makes God O-real.

Excuse me for picking your post to illustrate {with red inserts} the wide spread confused use of the words "real" and "reality" which have three very different meanings as I discussed here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ce-believers&p=3116183&viewfull=1#post3116183
I know few, if any, will adopt this P, S, & O marking to be clear when speaking of Personal, Social, and Objective, realities, but they are very different concepts and quite confused as one in much of this thread. God is P-real for some and many of them think that makes God O-real.

I like this. :)
Mazulu...you taking notes? ^^ :D
Seriously, nicely said, Billy.

Seattle,

I don't care about the things I don't believe in, and would never go as far as to express anything I don't believe in, without provocation, to make a point. I leave that to you guys.
However if I found myself constantly expressing something I didn't believe in, it would make me wonder if my un-belief was genuine.

I don't find this to be a sincere position on your part. Creationism is being taught in some schools, science is being curtailed by religion and I'm not supposed to have an opinion just because I don't believe in the supernatural? The final comment further proves the insincerity. If I don't agree with you and I express myself (the whole point of this forum and thread) then I must secretly be doubting my position! I think you can do better than that.:)

Creationism being taught in a science class is a provocation.
However that is not what I mean when I say ''...constantly expressing something I didn't believe in, it would make me wonder if my un-belief was genuine.''

It depends on how you understand God. Unfortunately, your worldview situation phrohibits you from open-mindedly studying scriptures to see if there is any validity in the concept of God. This not much different to the evangelical Christian groups who forbid their members from looking at other scriptures to increase their understanding of God, in case it shows up there own lack of understanding. Christian dogma, and atheist dogma, is very similar. One day I may even start a thread on that.

This is also a curious argument. You are implying that the religious mindset is more open than someone who doesn't believe in the supernatural but who is open to evidence where ever it may lead. This isn't the case of course.

There is a consensus that religion is a negative force in today's society, that it should be relegated to a lower status (some want it abolished). That the scriptures were written either to explain things that were not properly understood, or by scrupulous people in a bid to control the masses. There is a conensous that there is no evidence for the existence of God, God does not exist, or if God does exist He is an evil tyrant who let's people suffer.
With this kind of mindset, how can you be open to the possibility that God is merciful. That maybe it is due to our ignorance of the bigger picture that prevents us from seeing this.

And what exactly, is a ''religious mindset''?
Trying to increase ones understanding of God is not necessarily a ''religious mindset'' pastime.
Again I ask; With such an unwillingness to take the pursuit of understand God, seriously, at least to the point where if one is still atheist, one has a good reason and explanation as to why he is so, how can you be open-minded to scriptures.

To obtain ''knowledge'', not just information, from any external source, requires some level of surrender, trying to obtain ''evidence'' for something that requires direct experience in order to obtain the truth does nothing to enhance knowledge.
Once you know something, there is no more need to learn how to obtain knowledge of it (obviously).

This is the heart of the matter and the problem between religion and science..."once you know something, there is no more need to learn how to obtain knowledge of it".

Once we learned the world was flat there was no more need to learn how to obtain knowledge of it. This is why evolution is such a problem for many.

That's not what I mean by ''knowledge''. The world's round, so what? Now we know that, does it increase our awareness of our understanding of ourselves. What is our ''selves''? Are we the body and mind, or are we more than that. We can observe our bodies and mind so who is observing? What happens when we die, is it just nothingness? What is nothingness? No space, no time, no energy/matter? How could such a scenario exist? Can we even imagine it? These questions are the search for knowledge, IMO.

If I believe in it, why would I want to test it?
If you want to test it then go ahead, but why waste good money on that, when scientists can be put to better use?
This is about as anti-knowledge as one could get. I'll let those comments speak for themselves.

This is about as anti-knowledge as one could get. I'll let those comments speak for themselves.

What's the point in testing to see if God answers prayers? How's that going to benefit you or society?
How are you going to ''know'' if God does or doesn't answer prayers? What kind of tests can you perform that gives this result? If the test is an statistical approximation, how does that prove that God doesn't answer prayers?

When a person sincerely prays to God, their position is one of surrender, they surrender to the Divine Will, He knows what is best for me. I put my self in your hands.

The rest is just silly and more of the same.
I didn't say I would "accept" anything but I'd be well on my way. You ask how would I know that the man in the clouds was God? I'm willing to call any man in the cloud God. Or at least consider it. If your God is the man in another cloud then we just have different religions (and Gods).:)

Okay. I'll leave you with that. :)

jan.

Back