Animal Pain and humane treatment

Captain Kremmen

All aboard, me Hearties!
Valued Senior Member
Mod Note: This is a split thread from Boiling Crabs & Lobsters.

Boiling animals alive is cruel.
Killing crabs and lobsters immediately before cooking is very easy, and avoids unnecessary pain.
Why not do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Boiling animals alive is cruel.
Killing crabs and lobsters immediately before cooking is very easy, and avoids unnecessary pain.
Why not do it?

I'm not sure they have emotions or verifiable pain centers, which would negate the concept of "pleasure" and "pain". They are mostly stimulus and response.

Besides, they are just big grasshoppers that live in the ocean. Call me evil, but I don't give a shit of bugs feel a little pain or not.

~String

Besides, they are just big grasshoppers that live in the ocean.
facepalm.gif

Call me evil, but I don't give a shit of bugs feel a little pain or not.
Why not? And crabs and lobsters are not bugs.

Of course lobbies have feelings so don't boil them.
You put them into a state of suspended animation before cooking... Put 'em in the fridge for a while. This shuts them down painlessly.
Now, if you want them to taste their best, boiling is well down the list.
Lightly grilled on the Barbie with a smear of fresh garlic and a dash of lime.
Or sashimi... Yummo!

Last edited:
Is string is wrong about lobsters being big grasshoppers?

images

Grasshopper

images

Lobster

I may have got these the wrong way round.
They just look so similar.

Grasshoppers, Crabs, Lobster, etc. are all related as Arthropods, i.e. with hard exo-skeletons. Some people call em "bugs", which is a generic term for anything small and crawly (including slugs or worms, which are not arthropods.

Why not? And crabs and lobsters are not bugs.

Everything with an exoskeleton is a "bug" to me.

They are simplistic creatures, with a brain smaller than pea. Stimulus and response. Little more. No emotions. Just sex and food.

Drop'em in a pot of boiling water and cook the buggers. Yum.

~String

Everything with an exoskeleton is a "bug" to me.

They are simplistic creatures, with a brain smaller than pea. Stimulus and response. Little more. No emotions. Just sex and food.

Drop'em in a pot of boiling water and cook the buggers. Yum.

~String

You mean..a tortoise is just a bug?

Yes, we suck for not caring about the non-existent pain that a emotion-less bug doesn't even feel while it gets boiled in water.

~String

It's doubtful that you would know what they feel and not. And the fact that you don't see it as important whether they feel pain or not, is rather astounding since it would mean a change in legislation in what concerns animal rights.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29915025/

It's doubtful that you would know what they feel and not. And the fact that you don't see it as important whether they feel pain or not, is rather astounding since it would mean a change in legislation in what concerns animal rights.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29915025/

Those findings, the ones you posted, are also very much in doubt

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6968620/ns/technology_and_science-science/

I'll continue gorging myself on their boiled flesh until we know for sure!

~STring

Back