America in the bible

Re: just to calm the waters

Originally posted by eaglesclaw
"my children told me the other day there teacher has received notice that they can no longer say the pledge allegiance to the flag because it says (UNDER GOD) SHE SAID OTHER DENOMINATIONS WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS REMARK UPON HEARING THIS I TOOK A TRIP TO SCHOOL SOME ATHEIST OR JEHOVAHS WITNESS HAD OBJECTED TO THIS WELL FREEDOM OF SPEECH WILL PREVAIL BECAUSE.... " ..."DECRIMINATED AGAINST IF THEY PUT IT TO A VOTE IT WOULD BE THROWED AWAY AS A BUNCH OF NONSENSE WASTE OF BREATH"

Well, yeah, ok. But that sort of ignorance can work both ways. I was raised sort of religious, but felt the pledge was kind of forcing me to believe in god in that respect. I don't think we should get rid of it; if you live in America, you should pledge to it. But maybe the got part is unneccesary. Is that something that is unchangeable? I think it is something everyone should compromise to.

Re: Re: just to calm the waters

Originally posted by Myriad360

But maybe the got part is unneccesary. Is that something that is unchangeable? I think it is something everyone should compromise to.
It's not at all unchangeable. Ironically, the original Pledge, written by a Baptist minister, did not contain the reference to God, and the Pledge remained both Godless and fully adequate until changed by Eisenhower in 1954. Perhaps it's time to get back to basics ...
I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

- see Pledge of Allegiance

Back