A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I wasn't being lumped in with atheists; I variably self-describe as an atheist or non-atheist or gnostic or agnostic on a day to day basis. It's a fundamental failing or not failing of mine that I cannot solve the problem of "God" or "gods" and unfortunately the system tends to reset. I describe this new philosophy as "Geoffism".
In other words, you are an atheist or theist depending on convenience or alternatively, who or what you wish to complain about.

No, actually, that's the entire point. Tiassa engaged in a nasty broadside against atheists in general, unless by some miraculous stretch of statistics all the atheists on the forum are militants. I don't do that. I never have. I've described 'swathes of support', or 'demographic pluralities', but I don't engage in such stereotyping. What I'm trying to enlighten you to is this basic contradiction in behaviour, coupled with the disparity in accusation and resolution. Tiassa does do this kind of thing - evidently - and is not punished; I could add that you seem to agree with him. I don't do this kind of thing, but have often been reviled for the opinions I don't have. That's the teaching moment of this thread.
Right.. You don't do this kind of thing..:rolleyes:

Mmmm, nooo, that's not so. I agree that the centralists or moderates of most philosophies have an obligation to reign in the extremists - at least where such extremism is dangerous or immoral in some way - but that wasn't Tiassa's point. Tiassa, an undefined theist, was blasting SF atheists in general. Now, I cannot believe that all the SF atheists are militants. It's unrealistic. As such, a group characterisation of them is unethical.

Tiassa is a theist, and therefore not among those who should make such generalisations in the usual parlance.
Tiassa is a theist as much as I am a theist. In other words, he is much less of a theist than you are.

Oh. I didn't know that you spoke for all atheists on the forum. In any event, personalising this issue is a bit of a herring; generalisation of such groups is not permitted.
I never said I did. Can you explain why you are misrepresenting what I am saying?

I don't think so: my comments are in the same vein as Yazata's. None of that discussion was really predicated on anything different; we're both discussing the unfair scale of poster control and behaviour. My post underscores this fundamentally unfair duality. They're not in context of anything, unless you wanted to say they were in context of the central issue, or this most recent example of that central issue: inconsistency. I think you're more objecting to my commenting on your response to Yazata. I agree, it could be considered rude, but it's an important issue for SF and I don't think you can claim my comments were out of context in any sense.
Your comments were discussing a completely different thing than I was discussing with Yazata.

If you have a complaint against a moderator, perhaps you should take it to the appropriate forum.

Mmm, that's questionable and actually not relevant to the discussion. I have at least partial 'membership' in that group, day to day; you'll note that the pronouns are all in quotations (""). But the point is that you, as a completely defined atheist, do not speak for all atheists.
So what day is it today? Day you believe in God day? Or day you assert that there is no God?

I do not speak for all atheists, which is why I said that I went back and looked at how I spoke to theists on this site. What I am trying to figure out is why you, the fence sitter leaning towards the popular movement of the day depending on who he is up against, have taken it upon yourself to be so offended on my behalf? I am one of the sciforums atheists of which he speaks in the OP. I still don't get why you are more offended than I am? Or are you claiming to be an atheist each time you post in this thread, because you know, you're going up against the big bad mod and all?

If you read that post, you'll note that it goes thusly:

He speaks for me to the extent that our opinion agrees. When not, not. 'Many of' indicates a proportion thereof. It's a qualifying statement; it carries the stated meaning that there is incomplete uniformity of position. Why do you regard this as a controversial statement?
Does he speak for you when he abuses theists on this site? Or does he only speak for you when he abuses moderators across the board?

Yep. And that seems to be a characteristic of both atheists and theists. (Although no atheist has ever come to my door and tried to convert me.)

They don't need to knock on doors, the whole mainstream society (education, media, agriculture, sexual propaganda, political propaganda, the distribution of wealth, and religion) is atheist.

jan.

I think there is some truth to this, though I suspect more would be drawn to a contemplative monastic lifestyle (like the Trappists or Benedictines) rather than the priesthood. In many respects, anyone from pseudo-Dionysius to Jakob Boehme to Theresa de Avila--or any representative of an apophatic tradition--often suggest a more sincere form of scepticism than is to be found in certain strains of atheistic thinking, i.e., the Dennetts, Gladwells, Harrises, and the like (who ofttimes tread dangerously close to a fundamentalism they purportedly despise--namely, scientism).

Atheism is quite rife among vicars and priests also.

There is in particular one group, called Sea of Faith, which has attracted names such as "Godless vicars" and "atheist priests". It claims it has up to 50 vicars and some Roman Catholic priests in its membership, as well as rank and file church members.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/393479.stm

''Mr Freeman wrote: 'There is nothing out there or, if there is, we can have no knowledge of it.' God had no external existence but was a creation of the human heart and mind, a sum-total of all that was good in the world.''

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...uch-of-humour-mary-braid-reports-1380634.html

''David Patterson has been a Vicar in the Church of England for forty years, yet throughout that time he has never believed in the existence of God or in an afterlife. David wants Christians to learn from Atheists to reject the idea of a supernatural deity beyond our universe, and instead focus on living the best lives we can in the here and now.''

''Dawkins explains that the Clergy Project �exists to provide a safe haven, a forum where clergy who have lost their faith can meet each other, exchange views, swap problems, counsel each other � for, whatever they may have lost, clergy know how to counsel and comfort.� Dawkins, who once held one of the world�s most coveted academic posts, has now reduced himself to addressing small gatherings of atheists and celebrating a motley crew of pastors who have abandoned the faith � even if some have not abandoned their pulpits.''

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/atheists-in-the-pulpit-the-sad-charade-of-the-clergy-project

jan

What and Why

In other words, you are an atheist or theist depending on convenience or alternatively, who or what you wish to complain about.

Your cynicism is appreciated, but actually it's more about the thresholds of complexity in assigning a correct answer to the 'question of the age'. I'm not sure what importance my opinion has to this issue, but I do acknowledge the interest.

Right.. You don't do this kind of thing..:rolleyes:

Whoa: that was a bit of a slip, wasn't it? Now: please locate where I have done so. This is no trivial request; you have just accused me of gross stereotyping. I'm a bit sorry you did this, because otherwise my response was just going to be amusing and condescending. Why, Bells? You know the drill: support or retract. Specifically, you need to support your assertion that I stereotype groups on the forums. What kind of time frame do you think would be reasonable? 48 hours should probably be enough.

Tiassa is a theist as much as I am a theist. In other words, he is much less of a theist than you are.

So it's a contest now? Tiassa has self-identified as a theist, as you can see from the above. He - himself - has selected a categorical label. If this really is some strange kind of protestation on your part instead of a debased form of intellectual leveraging, then he's far more of a theist than me; at best I could be tritely described as an agnostic. By expressing this odd kind of solidarity with him, you're describing yourself as a theist also. I don't think I'd call you that, but this point having failed, what do you suppose you will argue with now? I mean, the point is that his categorisation is inappropriate and possibly bigoted: to what end is a discussion of my religious beliefs? Do you think you can deflect criticism in this manner?

I never said I did. Can you explain why you are misrepresenting what I am saying?

Your use of "we" implies a representational stance. I presume you are now backing down from this ambitious statement. Are you now attempting to try to impugn me on breaking SF rules via the herring about misrepresentation?

Your comments were discussing a completely different thing than I was discussing with Yazata.

No, no, it was quite the same thing.

If you have a complaint against a moderator, perhaps you should take it to the appropriate forum.

I've submitted the ticket. I'll probably have to submit another shortly. That's our new mechanism.

So what day is it today? Day you believe in God day? Or day you assert that there is no God?

Today is the day in which I seek to ensure that moderators adhere to the rules of the forum as much as posters must. That was one of yesterday's cues, and of the day before it. What day is it for you: Justice day or not justice day?

I do not speak for all atheists

- today ;) -

, which is why I said that I went back and looked at how I spoke to theists on this site. What I am trying to figure out is why you, the fence sitter leaning towards the popular movement of the day depending on who he is up against, have taken it upon yourself to be so offended on my behalf? I am one of the sciforums atheists of which he speaks in the OP. I still don't get why you are more offended than I am? Or are you claiming to be an atheist each time you post in this thread, because you know, you're going up against the big bad mod and all?

That is a very curious comment from a social worker: I wished to be more involved in protecting and supporting the rights of women, I could not do this because I am male? Or, perhaps I should refrain from contributing to social support mechanisms in Africa because I'm not African? There are so many things wrong with that stance that it's difficult to get into them all. How about this: if you wish me not to be offended on your behalf, I will not be, to the extent that you represent your franchise of 'atheists' despite your protestations above. (Heh. Little 'twist of the knife' there. No worries.) I'll just confine myself to being offended on behalf of the actual atheists on the forum. :) But actually, that's not really what all this is about. We're discussing the fairness of Tiassa's generalising others, and surely impending infraction points.

Does he speak for you when he abuses theists on this site? Or does he only speak for you when he abuses moderators across the board?

He certainly doesn't speak for me when he abuses theists on this site, if indeed he does. That's why I said "partly", as I recall, and I think you probably understood that I was referring specifically to his complaints against hypocrisy by some members of the moderator board. Do you remember me writing that in my post? :) Do you follow my implication?

This new issue is interesting, however: so now he's abusing moderators 'across the board'? Has he actually done this or is this hyperbole? If the former, are you then part of a maligned demographic? That would certainly be a new and unusual social distinction. Or, I could do as I've seen done here and just cut straight to the chase: you're attempting to throw the issue off with a series of herrings, each being progressively stinkier than the last. To what end? I think you recognise that you're in the wrong, and that Tiassa was in the wrong before you, and surely you must admit at the least that he's a theist, because he makes the elemental mistake of saying so. (My suspicion is that this 'atheism' of his - whoever's defending it at the moment - is a form of pretense for the sake of intellectual posturing - more 'thread cred', if you will. But it's not fooling anyone, for the simple fact that there exists a statement of identity that contradicts this. I suppose he could return and claim otherwise, but he never has done, and I think this is telling.) The bottom line is that you're defending the indefensible; there simply is no defense for Tiassa predicated on my beliefs or lack thereof, and I don't know precisely what you're intending here. Well, I mean I suspect I know, but I haven't really decided.

Why - it's kind of like that whole 'God' thing, isn't it? How artistry imitates life. Tchuh!

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree... My understanding (totally my own perspective) is that Tiassa leaves open a "God of the Gaps". Certes (to borrow a word), he is not in favor of organized religion as we know it today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but cite your source.

Uh huh, that's what I thought...

Geoff handled it for me, so I'm just here to say this: really, dude? We need theism explained to us now?

Okay, run along now.

I think, Balerion, that Randwolf is challenging you to disprove his theory on Tiassa's theological views, rather than to explain theism; hence, cite your source as in show where Tiassa has acted in that way.

Randwolf, if this is not your intent I do apologize - that's just how I read it :)

That's still theism. And Randwolf's dispute was whether Tiassa was a theist. He is. It doesn't matter whether he believes in a "God of the Gaps", or Allah, or Rama.

All right, let's just be frank again here. Tired of beating around the bush. The issue of Tiassa's belief system came up because it was trotted out as a defense of his generalisation of atheists: well, it was said, Tiassa's an atheist too! So what he said wasn't ignorant/bigoted/whatever. See? You atheists are such - er, I mean, I disagree with you in honest debate against my own kindred. And Tiassa's! *nervous laugh* But, for whatever value the "I'm one of you too" defense - a sort of personalised variant to the "I'm not bigoted but" defense - has, it just doesn't apply here. I'm quite sure there was no real point to bringing it up in the first place except as a herring. The simple case is that of gross generalisation and stereotyping. For what must be the twentieth time: if a poster had done it, metaphorical hell would rain down upon them. But not for a mod; that's okay, seemingly. And that's hypocritical, and unfair. I don't need to carry on this way. Why does this moderator do so?

Surely power is enabling of tolerance and reason, not stereotyping. Is the clock ticking out on rendering social change in Western society, and that the OP has sprung from this? Well, good luck with that, son, because there is not a fucking chance in hell that any such change is going to be rendered against all the parties with a deluded self-interest in backwards ideologies and industrial feudalism. No chance. And the value of that work, such as it is, is not helped by such generalisations as Tiassa made. Neither is it helpful when an atheist has a general dig at theists. An ideology can be attacked, but one must tread carefully around those that hold it. They may be wrong - in your opinion. They may be deluded - in your opinion. The decent thing though is not to attack them as a group, but the ideology itself. One can critique complacency within that part of the demographic; pretty sure I've done that once or twice. But going after them themselves is certainly wrong. We expect more, and we should. I particularly expect more, as even the whiff of such nonsense has been sufficient to provoke hysterical rants and dire 'moderator threats' on SF from some of the very individuals we're discussing. it's unnecessary and wrongful. It is not excused by rank.

And - because some of our neighbours (not you, Kitta) must have their hands held while we discuss such controversial matters - this is not to say that all mods do such things. And it of no meat whether or not I, who would be essentially a sort of agnostic if I were to be so defined (and I begin to see what atheists mean when they say they do not occupy a place along the distribution of all possible ranges of belief), believe or do not believe in one thing or another. These things are irrelevant, and it is my suspicion they are meant as a distraction, analogous to the "black friend" defense in the first case and... I have no idea what exactly in the second. Actually the second platform as raised by Bells sounds more like a sort of witch hunt - oh, you're much more theistic than me, so you have no right to comment on this subject, which is a mad proposition besides being offensive. I expect there's some kind of classical fallacy that describes that. Maybe someone else has a better idea. Bored.

Geoff has already posted a link to the 'about' page on one of Tiassa's blogs where Tiassa seems to have been describing himself as a 'nondescript theist'. I tried to visit it just now in order to quote the precise wording, and it didn't come up. Maybe Tiassa's taken that page down in the last few hours.

But whatever he currently chooses to call himself, he definitely insists that he isn't an atheist. Scroll down a bit here:

http://bdhilling.wordpress.com/category/religion/

As for me, I don't understand how Tiassa's current label for himself even matters.

The first post in this thread was a full-frontal piece of trolling, pure and simple. It contained zero intellectual content and was calculated to be as emotionally provocative as Tiassa could possibly make it.

That fact will continue to be true regardless of what label Tiassa chooses to give his religiosity this week.

The real issue is how a moderator can get away with behavior that would get Sciforums' normal rank-and-file banned, and how he can call for atheists to be more of whatever he wants them to be (more welcoming, friendlier and nicer?) while he continues to be an absolute ideological asshole over on the political forums.

If he wants atheists to clean up their acts over here, maybe Tiassa should give them a good example by cleaning up his own over there.

(Never gonna happen.)

Last edited:
@ Tiassa,

Can you please make an appearance? Some of us would like your head on a platter(served with copious amounts of mea culpa on the side)

That's still theism. And Randwolf's dispute was whether Tiassa was a theist. He is. It doesn't matter whether he believes in a "God of the Gaps", or Allah, or Rama.

All right, let's just be frank again here. Tired of beating around the bush. The issue of Tiassa's belief system came up because it was trotted out as a defense of his generalisation of atheists: well, it was said, Tiassa's an atheist too! So what he said wasn't ignorant/bigoted/whatever. See? You atheists are such - er, I mean, I disagree with you in honest debate against my own kindred. And Tiassa's! *nervous laugh* But, for whatever value the "I'm one of you too" defense - a sort of personalised variant to the "I'm not bigoted but" defense - has, it just doesn't apply here. I'm quite sure there was no real point to bringing it up in the first place except as a herring. The simple case is that of gross generalisation and stereotyping. For what must be the twentieth time: if a poster had done it, metaphorical hell would rain down upon them. But not for a mod; that's okay, seemingly. And that's hypocritical, and unfair. I don't need to carry on this way. Why does this moderator do so?

Surely power is enabling of tolerance and reason, not stereotyping. Is the clock ticking out on rendering social change in Western society, and that the OP has sprung from this? Well, good luck with that, son, because there is not a fucking chance in hell that any such change is going to be rendered against all the parties with a deluded self-interest in backwards ideologies and industrial feudalism. No chance. And the value of that work, such as it is, is not helped by such generalisations as Tiassa made. Neither is it helpful when an atheist has a general dig at theists. An ideology can be attacked, but one must tread carefully around those that hold it. They may be wrong - in your opinion. They may be deluded - in your opinion. The decent thing though is not to attack them as a group, but the ideology itself. One can critique complacency within that part of the demographic; pretty sure I've done that once or twice. But going after them themselves is certainly wrong. We expect more, and we should. I particularly expect more, as even the whiff of such nonsense has been sufficient to provoke hysterical rants and dire 'moderator threats' on SF from some of the very individuals we're discussing. it's unnecessary and wrongful. It is not excused by rank.

And - because some of our neighbours (not you, Kitta) must have their hands held while we discuss such controversial matters - this is not to say that all mods do such things. And it of no meat whether or not I, who would be essentially a sort of agnostic if I were to be so defined (and I begin to see what atheists mean when they say they do not occupy a place along the distribution of all possible ranges of belief), believe or do not believe in one thing or another. These things are irrelevant, and it is my suspicion they are meant as a distraction, analogous to the "black friend" defense in the first case and... I have no idea what exactly in the second. Actually the second platform as raised by Bells sounds more like a sort of witch hunt - oh, you're much more theistic than me, so you have no right to comment on this subject, which is a mad proposition besides being offensive. I expect there's some kind of classical fallacy that describes that. Maybe someone else has a better idea. Bored.

Actually, it was in response to others virtually accusing him of being a theist abusing atheists on this site. You can refer back to when the blog from over 7 years ago was originally linked in this thread.

Having known Tiassa very very well for twice as long as that blog post has been up, he is an "atheist". Having shared musings of life, life's troubles and all that goes in-between with Tiassa for over 12 years now, I can assure you, he is not a theist in any way, shape or form.

And frankly, watching you all slobber around trying to use his supposed theism as an excuse proves the very point he was trying to make. To quote a more recent post on his blog where he discusses his lack of belief in a deity but why he won't identify himself as an "atheist", it is simply because as he sees it, the atheist movement has become 'self empowered through bigotry'. That we have become who and what we supposedly hate. We mock, insult and abuse theists for being theists and that appears to be the extent of the movement itself. His complaint is that the atheist movement, which sadly has become a movement, does not offer anything positive except to mock, hate and abuse.

By definition he is an atheist. But by right, he won't say so because of what the movement has become. We have become brainless to prove the point that we are right. His rejection of atheism is not because he believes in a deity, but because atheism is 'no longer about whether God exists, but more about how hateful we can be towards others'. I do hope this clears up your confusion and your pointing fingers that a theist is insulting your revolving door atheism?

As for your suspicion. GeoffP, you are one of the most paranoid people I have ever come across on this site. You are a conspiracy theorist. So I would prefer you did not try to dream up theories about the why's in your bid for victimhood in this thread.

They don't need to knock on doors, the whole mainstream society (education, media, agriculture, sexual propaganda, political propaganda, the distribution of wealth, and religion) is atheist.

Right. I'll consider that next Sunday - the US Government's official Christian day of rest - as I drive by the US-funded Easter Cross on Mt Soledad. Perhaps I will start planning for the US Government holiday that commemorates the birth of Christ. I might have to shell out some money for presents, which will contain the phrase "In God we trust." Perhaps Bill O'Reilly will be on the radio as I do that, pushing for more public observance of the Christian version of Christmas.

And then, after I get back home, perhaps I will tell the next Christian proselytizer who comes to the door that you think the US is athest. If they are crazy enough I am sure they will agree with you. Lots of people, after all, love to be victims.

Notes on Something

Quinnsong said:

Can you please make an appearance? Some of us would like your head on a platter(served with copious amounts of mea culpa on the side)

I got distracted a while back trying to figure Yazata's post at #687; I'm not especially worried about the prospect of mistakenly taking it seriously, but that post includes awareness of the underlying problem.

As to the rest, let us be less than pedantic but more than simply superficial.

To be quite technical, I called out a behavior.

Those who disdain that perspective have a simple task before them: Simply show that it isn't the representative aspect of atheism at Sciforums.

Do you recall when we traded some posts about "apathism"? (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). (Ah, yes, you would appear to.)

And, hey, from that thread:

When I inject the proposition that "nothing ever begins" into a broader consideration of ethics, morality, justice, history, psychology, the human endeavor in general ....

When I inject the proposition, I can always point to where I got it and tell people what it means.

Emma Goldman, Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud, Norman O. Brown, Ranier Maria Rilke, Jim Henson, Shel Silverstein, Ray Bradbury, Jack Cady, Roger Waters, Albert Camus ... it really is a broad canon, and each of these and more have contributed something to my understanding of the world around me.

For a theist to abandon faith and become an atheist, this vacuum previously occupied by moral structure must be filled. In my experience, this proposition seems to confuse atheists, which in turn only reminds me why I won't call myself an atheist. Well, these days, it's because I've become an apathist, but that never would have happened without the piss-poor examples of what counts for atheistic integrity I've observed and encountered distally, proximally, and intimately, for over twenty years. The consistency must necssarily count for something, but in the end, the more important thing is to find a way to reconnect cynical atheists to the human endeavor.

As has been noted, I have a long history at Sciforums that clearly defines my regard for religion. But none of this really matters, does it? Look at the superficial political arguments. If the answer is that one needs better reading comprehension, what good will making that point do? And it's true, there are people like Balerion, (Q), Aqueous Id, and others, who demonstrate less reading comprehension than what they were teaching my fifth-grade daughter in fourth grade. There's a joke about the rationality of fisking that I often make: Do you read novels? How? "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"? What the fuck, Charlie, it can't be both!

I'm not worried about those neighbors of mine trying to construct some fantasy windmill to tilt like Don Quixote on methedrine; they're demonstrating my point better than I could ever express it—life just works out that way, sometimes.

Below is a section of the unposted response to Yazata, regarding the statement, "So I take it that on Sciforums, 'atheism' isn't just disbelief in religious deities?"

This is part of the underlying question.

One of the outcomes of this strange reservation of atheism unto its own proposition and nothing more is that such an argument is best suited as a fortification from which to lob fireballs.

We expect of other people a certain integrity according to their identity labels; any deviation from how an individual perceives that identity label is easily and often condemned as hypocrisy. However, if we limit the "rational" assertion of atheism unto itself and nothing more, we effectively cut ourselves off from any obligation to rationality beyond that.

This is problematic for a number of reasons.

Politically, there is an audience that is not composed entirely of hopeless hardliners who will never be swayed by anything. When it comes to civil rights and general societal respect, this is the market to which we should play. The overwhelming majority of these are ensconced in societal traditions sympathetic toward religious sentiment. The mere appearance of atheists being holier-than-thou hurts our progress. Then again, it's also a human thing, with each individual making his or her own mistakes, achieving his or her own merits, and so on. But the effect is that the terrible things the religious nuts like to make up about atheists sound less unreasonable if we act like that.

To win out, it is not sufficient to simply show the irrationality; the rational solution must be possible. Perhaps it might seem an easy maneuver around this problem to simply offer no solution at all, but I would think the detriment of such an approach would be obvious.

Consider the thread around here somewhere about what we will replace religion with.

Balbutive. Pabulum. Ludicrous.

I recall a couple got close with that quote about a more cosmic religion, but that's the point: Religion is not going anywhere until one of two things happens:

Fundamental adaptation occurring in the creative centers of the human brain according to demand of circumstance, i.e., evolution.

Fundamental reorientation of the functional relationship between mind and brain, so that the creative centers are employed in an entirely different way, which could, in the end, lead to the point about evolution, anyway.

Otherwise, all we are replacing religion with is more religion. And that's fine with me. I don't want to give up every little irrational ritual, like rising on the two and two in the top of the ninth in support of your pitcher. Sure, we can rationally argue psychological effects, but we cannot presume the batters are necessarily cowed. And do not ever, in my presence, say a damn thing about how good the pitching is until the game is over. Now, that has no rational foundation, but it's also the functional rule in my social circles.

And what I want of religion is simply that it be for a constructive purpose. Abramist ideologies will eventually select out. Look at them now, coming apart at the seams. Imagine in another century.

I would hope we don't elevate state or species as the faith. I have great faith in the species, but that is the sort of arrogance that myth teaches will destroy us.

But what value has myth? How much do we focus on the present psychological effects of myth in culture? I would not suggest this is a vain pursuit, but it is literally numbing to witness the dearth of the other psychoanalysis of myth.

Myth offers us various snapshots of how human culture and eventually civilization has evolved. What you have at Catal Huyuk, or in Gilgamesh, or the Bible or Qur'an, even in the witch and vampire and monster legends that permeate human cultures, is a psychological cross-section that can be rationally analyzed.

And all of this comes back to a complication I remind from time to time:

It is a Freudian theorem that each individual neurosis is not static but dynamic. It is a historical process with its own internal logic. Because of the basically unsatisfactory nature of the neurotic compromise, tension between the repressed and repressing factors persists and produces a constant series of new symptom-formations. And the series of symptom-formations is not a shapeless series of mere changes; it exhibits a regressive pattern, which Freud calls the slow return of the repressed, “It is a law of neurotic diseases that these obsessive acts serve the impulse more and more and come nearer and nearer the original and forbidden act.” The doctrine of the universal neurosis of mankind, if we take it seriously, therefore compels us to entertain the hypothesis that the pattern of history exhibits a dialectic not hitherto recognized by historians, the dialectic of neurosis.

—Norman O. Brown

All of that analysis falls by the wayside in our community. Sticking to the simplistic and often fallacious rhetoric intended to insulate "atheism" against criticism reminds that such arguments are more about ego defense than anything substantial and potentially effective.

Consider Spidergoat: To convert the religious to rational.

Consider the effective detachment of the leading atheistic argument in this and so many other such considerations: The rational obligation of atheism ends at the atheistic assertion.

The lack of pathos? It's important because it slows progress and bulwarks the most superstitious.

We know that religious faith is an intricate mess of mind and brain. The big fuck you that comes from common atheistic regard for the vacuum created in a person's psychomoral outlook by abandoning God is certainly suggestive. The atheistic argument generally prefers things simple, straightforward, and unattached to any other reality. Progress is hard. Ego gratification is easy.

Did it ever occur to you to wonder why the atheistic moevement that doesn't really exist or whatever gives so much attention to the simplest, most blatantly stupid arguments we hear from televangelists and politicians? A functional reason, in the context of a political campaign, for keeping attention focused on the simplistic is that delving into anything more complex is politically dangerous. The idea that Bill Nye can whip Ken Ham's ass in a question of evolution and creationism is what it is; the whole point was to raise money for Ham's museum project, which that performance did, as well as reinforced creationists' faith.

But where the atheistic argument is lacking comes when we look beneath the surface, at the dialectic of neurosis.

Have you ever had one of those moments—they're fairly common in my life—when someone responds to a fact with disbelief, because, "Why would (somebody) do that?"

In many cases, if we look at the superficial markers, it really is a noodle-scratcher. But if we dive beneath the surface, we can often find where the logic goes astray. That is to say, even though you and I might find it morbidly laughable, there is a reason some Republicans are appealing to Christian conscience by arguing that Christian duty is to not feed the hungry.

Even if we can mark all of the glitches, skips, quirks, and twists along the way in order to establish a rational understanding of how that idea works, it means nothing if all we do is sit and hurl stones.

Proposition: Religious belief has brought to the world many miseries.

(1) Solution 1: Make "religion" go away. See above for a consideration of the basic problem with this.

(2) Solution 2: Comprehend the dialectics motivating the behavior and attempt to reconcile the broken pieces.​

Solution 1 is easy, and completely useless.

Solution 2 is difficult and risky, but includes the potential to mitigate the miseries by reconciling the psychopathological conflict. And it is virtually absent at Sciforums.

But, no, of all the things I'm worried about, some petulant ego gratification from a handful of ethically questionable members really isn't on the list.

As to those who parade along with the pipers, you know, it happens. This is pretty much a political issue, these days. And politics is awash in neurotic discord.

Consider Kittamaru's post at #16:

"religion does have some backing evidence... after all, SOMETHING had to have motivated people, even after the creation of the sciences, to continue to believe in the Almighty. Else, why would humanity have done so for so long, and with so many variations?"

It is easy to overstate this point, but the answer is actually a matter of evolution. Nature is not extraneous; these functions in the brain and, subsequently, mind, are selected. What will we replace religion with? Ask me again when the human brain has adapted its creative centers. To wit, did you know that when we laugh, we share laughter? (See Radiolab 4.1.) This goes to the point that we will invent another person to share laughter with when we are otherwise alone. Dancing with myself? Well, yes, in a more literal way than we would have thought. (Oh, oh, oh-oh!) That we should share our fear in such a way, or our ignorance, or even our general abstraction—e.g., "perfection"—seems hardly an extraordinary proposition. But, apparently, when it comes to the gods we invent, we're supposed to set such considerations aside?

Religion is generally explainable in a psychohistorical context, but that's a lot more demanding a path than simply complaining about the irrationality of believing in God.

The task of getting rid of religion is generally impossible. And as long as we pretend that religion is as idiot-simple as the snake-handlers, suicide bombers, and politicians make it out to be, progress toward a better society will only come about by accident of circumstance.

As to certain complaints, I'm reminded of an occasion recently when, in the middle of an argument about how I handled an EM&J thread as a moderator, someone complained that I don't write enough Republican propaganda in Politics.

Rationally speaking, there is no God? Very well. And if that's all atheism is, then it is a useless endeavor of ego gratification.

I mean, hell, if this whole atheism-theism conflict is just for sport, that would be one thing. But we probably need to make that clear one way or another.

Notes:

Brown, Norman O. Life Against Death: The Psychoanalytic Meaning of History. Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 1959.

Abumrad, Jad and Robert Krulwich. "Laughter". Radiolab. 2007. Radiolab.org. April 30, 2014. http://www.radiolab.org/story/91588-laughter/

Right. I'll consider that next Sunday - the US Government's official Christian day of rest - as I drive by the US-funded Easter Cross on Mt Soledad. Perhaps I will start planning for the US Government holiday that commemorates the birth of Christ. I might have to shell out some money for presents, which will contain the phrase "In God we trust." Perhaps Bill O'Reilly will be on the radio as I do that, pushing for more public observance of the Christian version of Christmas.

And then, after I get back home, perhaps I will tell the next Christian proselytizer who comes to the door that you think the US is athest. If they are crazy enough I am sure they will agree with you. Lots of people, after all, love to be victims.

Like I said... ''the whole mainstream society (education, media, agriculture, sexual propaganda, political propaganda, the distribution of wealth, and religion) is atheist.''

jan.

Actually, it was in response to others virtually accusing him of being a theist abusing atheists on this site. You can refer back to when the blog from over 7 years ago was originally linked in this thread.

?? That is an answer that makes no sense; this revelation comes from his own site, where he strangely appears to be interviewing himself. (Fifth Estate, presumably, was busy that day.) We're back to your original assertion being falsified. Tiassa's a theist. Is this shameful in some way? Why? You seem to feel that his defense hinges on this element, but I haven't seen any basis for this implicit assertion from you.

Having known Tiassa very very well for twice as long as that blog post has been up, he is an "atheist". Having shared musings of life, life's troubles and all that goes in-between with Tiassa for over 12 years now, I can assure you, he is not a theist in any way, shape or form.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't stand; neither does his post below refute it. I think this issue is done. The question is rather why you are trying to refute this, and why in this manner.

And frankly, watching you all slobber around trying to use his supposed theism as an excuse proves the very point he was trying to make.

?? An excuse for what, exactly? Your defense all along has been predicated on the supposition that Tiassa is allowed to criticise atheists as a group because he's a member thereof. Now you appear to be trying to insult your way out of the pleading already down in the record, and you're using senseless language to do so, aside from the time dilation effect. Perhaps Australia is further back in the past than the usually inferred twelve hours or so? (See below and please excuse the pun. :))

To quote a more recent post on his blog where he discusses his lack of belief in a deity but why he won't identify himself as an "atheist", it is simply because as he sees it, the atheist movement has become 'self empowered through bigotry'.

Again, this comment does not stand: he has already self-identified. Has he recently recanted this position? You seem to be scrabbling around for some kind of deflection here, but it just doesn't exist. Your subsequent points are then sort of irrelevant WRT the discussion of his excesses; they resound of the game of 'victimhood' that you invoke below, don't you think?

By definition he is an atheist.

Nnnooo, he's a theist. :) This is not really in question, and you can't interpret your way out of this fact by pretending that when he wrote that, he was referring to some far-distant time when he wished to avoid the label of atheist because it had been, in his view, synonymous with intolerance on an internet forum. (Perspicacity of that level would indeed be evidence of the nearly divine.) It's depressing to watch this pitiful re-reference to facts that simply aren't in order to prop up a defense of improper behaviour. Why, Bells? Your language is veering off into the Twilight Zone ("But by right, he won't say so" - just what am I supposed to make of that nonsense?) to support the insupportable. My advice would be to stop and really try to evaluate what you're trying to do here.

As for your suspicion. GeoffP, you are one of the most paranoid people I have ever come across on this site. You are a conspiracy theorist.

That's juuust a bit of a lie, but I expect no better since you're in this corner. I'm curious: which way shall you lash out next?

So I would prefer you did not try to dream up theories about the why's in your bid for victimhood in this thread.

Heh. I'm amused when you fall back on this stance: you've done it a couple of times now over the years, this accusation that I'm seeking victimhood or something by objecting to clear violations of ethics and SF rules. It's like listening to a rapist's defense council: don't you think you were asking for it?, they might rail. I fully expect you to misrepresent the nature of my analogy just now ("Geoff just compared me to a rapist's lawyer!", or some such, and yes, I think I do have to pre-empt you on these things), but I think perhaps you might stand off a moment and ask yourself what it is you're defending and how you're doing so. The absence of ethical practice for the purposes of expediency is a common problem in the 21st century. Admittedly, it's hard to formulate a good reason for behaving ethically when others around you fail to do so with such aplomb, but at the same time it's not acceptable. We're not automatons, but human beings. We do have an absolute obligation to behave morally and ethically. I would ask that you start to do so - in small steps if you must, but I'm sure there is nothing more bracing than a good dive into reality. Good luck.

As for the atheist movement, you note:

His complaint is that the atheist movement, which sadly has become a movement, does not offer anything positive except to mock, hate and abuse.

Oh really? So atheists, as a movement, have no positive qualities. In fact, as I read your statement, you find the very act of their unity heinous. Wow. So why is that a bad thing, Bells? Innumerable philosophies have founded movements, but the atheists in particular have no positive qualities as a movement. Not, say, the protection of the irreligious, or the fight against the religious establishment that attempts to overturn the very Scopes trial findings and push us a little further back into the Dark Ages, or the protection of freedom from religion in the secular state?

Wow. You have accomplished that at last which no other poster has ever been able to do: you have struck me speechless. I have no words.

Like I said... ''the whole mainstream society (education, media, agriculture, sexual propaganda, political propaganda, the distribution of wealth, and religion) is atheist.''

Education - most students in the US are required to say "one nation under God" every single day. So that demonstrates your claim there incorrect.

Media - several US media outlets are lamenting the "War on Christmas" and trying to defend the celebration of this most holy Christian holiday. So that demonstrates your claim there incorrect.

Agriculture - no idea so I won't comment

Sexual propaganda - many groups push for abstinence instead of birth control because they feel that birth control causes women to be promiscuous, and their religion frowns on that. So that demonstrates your claim there incorrect.

Political propaganda - There is a group that self-identifies as "the religious right." So that demonstrates your claim there incorrect.

The distribution of wealth - Religions in the US are specifically exempt from taxation, skewing the distribution of wealth in their direction. So that demonstrates your claim there incorrect.

Religion - if you are really claiming that religions are atheist, well . . . . good luck with that. I'm not good enough at newspeak to get that to make any sense.

Not sure why everyone is all hung up on this, but anyways—from the blog-thingie:

I’m a nondescript theist.

Nondescript theist? What does that mean?

... It’s easier to say there’s a definition of God that I can accept, so I can’t call myself an atheist.

https://bdhilling.wordpress.com/about/

More of an acknowledgement of a differend than a profession of theism to my eyes, but as you all—sorry, many of you all—seem to be fond of master narratives and universality and shit (and shitting all over Karl Popper, I might add—it is a methodological and heuristic assumption, for fuck’s sake!), who knows?

It's a variant on the "black friend" defense; or at least, that's how Bells is using it. I don't know why it matters to her, but there it is.

It's a variant on the "black friend" defense; or at least, that's how Bells is using it. I don't know why it matters to her, but there it is.

Perhaps (though that's not how I'm reading it), but I was referring to the other "everyone."

?? That is an answer that makes no sense; this revelation comes from his own site, where he strangely appears to be interviewing himself. (Fifth Estate, presumably, was busy that day.) We're back to your original assertion being falsified. Tiassa's a theist. Is this shameful in some way? Why? You seem to feel that his defense hinges on this element, but I haven't seen any basis for this implicit assertion from you.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't stand; neither does his post below refute it. I think this issue is done. The question is rather why you are trying to refute this, and why in this manner.

?? An excuse for what, exactly? Your defense all along has been predicated on the supposition that Tiassa is allowed to criticise atheists as a group because he's a member thereof. Now you appear to be trying to insult your way out of the pleading already down in the record, and you're using senseless language to do so, aside from the time dilation effect. Perhaps Australia is further back in the past than the usually inferred twelve hours or so? (See below and please excuse the pun. :))

Again, this comment does not stand: he has already self-identified. Has he recently recanted this position? You seem to be scrabbling around for some kind of deflection here, but it just doesn't exist. Your subsequent points are then sort of irrelevant WRT the discussion of his excesses; they resound of the game of 'victimhood' that you invoke below, don't you think?

Nnnooo, he's a theist. :) This is not really in question, and you can't interpret your way out of this fact by pretending that when he wrote that, he was referring to some far-distant time when he wished to avoid the label of atheist because it had been, in his view, synonymous with intolerance on an internet forum. (Perspicacity of that level would indeed be evidence of the nearly divine.) It's depressing to watch this pitiful re-reference to facts that simply aren't in order to prop up a defense of improper behaviour. Why, Bells? Your language is veering off into the Twilight Zone ("But by right, he won't say so" - just what am I supposed to make of that nonsense?) to support the insupportable. My advice would be to stop and really try to evaluate what you're trying to do here.

That's juuust a bit of a lie, but I expect no better since you're in this corner. I'm curious: which way shall you lash out next?

Heh. I'm amused when you fall back on this stance: you've done it a couple of times now over the years, this accusation that I'm seeking victimhood or something by objecting to clear violations of ethics and SF rules. It's like listening to a rapist's defense council: don't you think you were asking for it?, they might rail. I fully expect you to misrepresent the nature of my analogy just now ("Geoff just compared me to a rapist's lawyer!", or some such, and yes, I think I do have to pre-empt you on these things), but I think perhaps you might stand off a moment and ask yourself what it is you're defending and how you're doing so. The absence of ethical practice for the purposes of expediency is a common problem in the 21st century. Admittedly, it's hard to formulate a good reason for behaving ethically when others around you fail to do so with such aplomb, but at the same time it's not acceptable. We're not automatons, but human beings. We do have an absolute obligation to behave morally and ethically. I would ask that you start to do so - in small steps if you must, but I'm sure there is nothing more bracing than a good dive into reality. Good luck.

As for the atheist movement, you note:

Oh really? So atheists, as a movement, have no positive qualities. In fact, as I read your statement, you find the very act of their unity heinous. Wow. So why is that a bad thing, Bells? Innumerable philosophies have founded movements, but the atheists in particular have no positive qualities as a movement. Not, say, the protection of the irreligious, or the fight against the religious establishment that attempts to overturn the very Scopes trial findings and push us a little further back into the Dark Ages, or the protection of freedom from religion in the secular state?

Wow. You have accomplished that at last which no other poster has ever been able to do: you have struck me speechless. I have no words.

Oh for fuck's sake, enough of this bullshit.

Go to a post of his from August 2013. Read it. He discusses his atheism and why he won't identify as an atheist and the reasons behind it. He clearly says, he won't identify as an atheist because of how atheists behave and because the atheist movement has pretty much come down on the side of insults and mockery. Not because he believes in any deity.

The atheist movement is about mocking and insulting people. They even have speaking tours where they do it, much of it was mentioned in a previous post in the bowels of this thread. They write books about mocking religious beliefs and religious people. This is what atheists do. It's also what we do on this site. I say "we" because I've also taken part in that type of behaviour.

Listen to yourselves, you seem to expect people to take an atheistic oath, you seem to expect atheists behave a certain way. It doesn't work that way. You can't even determine what you are because one day you believe there is a god and the next you don't. So stop projecting your own weaknesses on others, which is exactly what you are doing to Tiassa. You are projecting that he has to be a theist. He actually is not. He doesn't have to declare it to anyone. It's none of your business to be honest. I suspect he is more like me, sees atheism as a private matter, you know, like you all argue that religion should be a private matter. Has it ever occurred to you that that may be the case? Oh no, it couldn't because you can't all be righteously offended if you did.

And get your head out of your backside. Have you had a look at the atheist movement lately? Do I want to consider the likes of Dawkins as a mouthpiece for my lack of belief? Would you? This is what our supposed movement is meant to fall rank and file behind. I rather read little known atheists who have their own blogs, thanks, because they don't act like tools with their heads shove up their backsides. Because the movement has been taken over by the likes of Dawkins who is intent to abuse, insult and mock people for no reason than because they believe in a deity. You only have to look at the reaction to the mistaken belief that Tiassa was a theist in this thread for a prime example. Is this something you wish to follow or get behind on your 'I'm an atheist today' days? Because as an actual atheist, I don't.

There are very few who even demand protection of the irreligious. The 'new atheism' movement is one of abuse and insults, no longer intent on demanding theism and religion remain within the private sphere and more intent on discrediting theism and theists in general, regardless of who they are or what they do. New atheism is about trying to convert people, much like religions try to convert people. And many atheists (myself included) would rather not follow it. And Tiassa is probably in the same boat.

You want Tiassa to be a theist because you wish to discredit him. You wish to mock him and you wish to complain that a moderator, a "theist" moderator no less, has taken it upon himself to criticise atheists on this site for how we behave. You all completely disregard what was happening on this forum at the time that OP was created.. No no, much easier to be righteously offended and try to use his supposed theism as a reason to be offended as atheists.

He's not a theist. But he's not an atheist because so many of us atheists act like tools.

Lol. Wow.

Bells, what began as you pointing out perceived flaws in this so-called movement has devolved into wholesale condemnation, based on sme imaginary boogeymen.

It would be funny, if it weren't so fucking mean-spirited.

And one cannot simply choose not to be an atheist. It's not a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back