A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What belief?

Lack of belief?

Well, I believe that the universe is subject to the laws of physics. That nothing supernatural exists. That nothing exists above and beyond nature. Do you not?

No one is rescinding anything, you are simply being asked to keep your religion behind closed doors . . ..

Why? I have no problem being exposed to other ways of thinking. Do you? (And if you demand the right to discuss atheism openly, you have to grant others the right to discuss their beliefs openly.)

Lack of belief?

Well, I believe that the universe is subject to the laws of physics. That nothing supernatural exists. That nothing exists above and beyond nature. Do you not?

No, I hold no such beliefs, I hold an understanding of those things. Do you not?

Why? I have no problem being exposed to other ways of thinking. Do you?

I have no problem with other ways of "thinking", but the proselytizing of religions is not about thinking.

(And if you demand the right to discuss atheism openly, you have to grant others the right to discuss their beliefs openly.)

But, that's putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. I don't ever need to talk about atheism if it weren't for theism in the first place and the fact that it is in the public eye.

Not at all; you are the one being disrespectful by pretending to have any knowledge whatsoever on a topic you are so obviously woefully unaware of. The challenge stands; come to my church for even one service and tell me how anything we say or do is disrespectful to anyone not of our faith.

And again, forcing one group to keep their beliefs behind closed doors is oppression, plain and simple.

That's what they all say. SOME religions are highly exclusionary, but not ours. The problem is that faith is a slippery slope, and moderate religions like yours lead people to actually take the word of the Bible seriously, and there are some nasty things in there. There are actually circumstances in which it says it's OK to throw rocks at your children until they die for what they say or believe. Although secular society has outlawed this, an all too common outcome is estrangement from one's family if you dare not to believe what they believe.

This draft principle addresses one of the most difficult issues for freedom of expression. It balances an essential respect for the humanity, dignity and personal choice of every individual believer with an equally vital freedom to question the claims of any belief system, organisation or group.

"The UN’s Human Rights Committee... authoritative interpretation of Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights states that, “Prohibitions of displays of lack of respect for a religion or other belief system, including blasphemy laws, are incompatible with the Covenant.” Such displays must not, however, violate Article 20′s ban on, “Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence.”

http://freespeechdebate.com/en/principle/p-7/is-nothing-sacred/
That's a reprehensible trend on the part of the UN. I'm shocked you would advocate it. They would actually seek to outlaw, for instance, criticism of religion, especially Islam. Christopher Hitchens has commented extensively on this subject.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2009/03/dont_say_a_word.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASpZhGQE7MU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_FMAWzfVA

Frankly, this makes you the biggest hypocrite on this forum.

You can keep making up lies all you want to defend your house of cards, they are thinly veiled.

My statements are not lies, nor are their veiled at all. Keep telling yourself that though... seems to make you more comfortable with your grand delusion of what "fair" is.

I don't need to go to another church or hear another preacher tell me what to believe and how to behave based on their immoral and unethical religious fantasies.

About what I expected... you don't even have the guts to hear something that might contradict your worldview and prove just how wrong your opinions are...

Wow, you are still trotting out the lie about being forced.

By your own words:

No, it isn't, no one is oppressing you. You are free to do whatever you want behind closed doors. ...

He is free to believe any nonsense he wishes, as long as he does behind closed doors. Again, you haven't really been paying attention.

Aside from that, people aren't interested in your love, they would much rather you respect them. One way is to keep your religion behind closed doors.

As such, if we wish to pray in public, we can do so.
That's offensive. Is there some reason why you can't do that in private?

Notice the recurring theme here... we are free to practice our religion... only so long as we are out of sight. That is OPPRESSION.

Now, I await your apology for your libelous statement that I was lying.

Notice how believers are compelled to fabricate lies in order to defend their beliefs? How sad is that.

I dunno... I'll tell you how sad it is if/when it starts happening. What I can tell you is how pathetic your blindness to your own hatred is.

No, I hold no such beliefs, I hold an understanding of those things. Do you not?

Certainty is not to be had. We live in a world of probabilities. On most accounts, evidential probabilities are considered to be degrees of belief.

Lack of belief?

I would like, at this time, to request you provide evidence to back your claims, as well as for you to lay out, in whatever terms you desire, your claims on how life, the universe, and everything works.
I expect multiple sources with proper citations.

Failure to do so will be recognized as a failure of ability to do so.

After all, we are, first and foremost, a scientific community - if you are claiming an understanding of such things, you best be ready to prove it.

SO, in short, (Q)... put up or shut up.

Certainty is not to be had. We live in a world of probabilities. On most accounts, evidential probabilities are considered to be degrees of belief.

Who said anything about certainty? I can hold an understanding about something without holding a belief in it.

Who said anything about certainty? I can hold an understanding about something without holding a belief in it.

Understanding implies knowledge and a certain amount of freedom from doubt

I would like, at this time, to request you provide evidence to back your claims, as well as for you to lay out, in whatever terms you desire, your claims on how life, the universe, and everything works.
I expect multiple sources with proper citations.

My claims about life, the universe and how everything works? I made no such claims, but I understand you must fabricate lies in order to defend your position.

Failure to do so will be recognized as a failure of ability to do so.

After all, we are, first and foremost, a scientific community - if you are claiming an understanding of such things, you best be ready to prove it.

SO, in short, (Q)... put up or shut up.

So, you are asking me to prove my understanding of scientific concepts? LOL. Hilarious.

My claims about life, the universe and how everything works? I made no such claims, but I understand you must fabricate lies in order to defend your position.

So, you are asking me to prove my understanding of scientific concepts? LOL. Hilarious.

No, you stated you "understand" that nothing exists above or beyond nature... thus, I would like you to prove this. Stop trying to hide behind your claims of lies... nobody is buying it, and the fetid smell of attempted deceit coming from your posts is nauseating.

Kittamaru, you have to admit that we live in a country where we are kowtowing to irrational beliefs. I was at a military ceremony recently where we were all asked to join in prayer. I didn't like it. I was extremely uncomfortable, and quite frankly, very concerned that our military leaders, hell, even our president believed in this stuff. Praying doesn't exude confidence, you know.

"Merely being present at a military ceremony or event where a military chaplain says a solemnizing prayer, however, does not violate the First Amendment, since no person is being compelled or pressured to assent to any belief, no person is being asked to participate in religious worship, and no person is being asked to engage in a religious act."

It’s bullshit, Kittamaru. They are told to bow their fucking heads. They are told to go to church or clean the barracks. Google it, if you don't believe me.

Prayer and Religion in the Military
No official in the US government or armed forces—regardless of rank or station—has the right to compel or pressure any other person (1) to assent to any specific philosophy or religious belief or creed, (2) to participate in a religious worship service (such as forcing someone to attend a chapel worship service—unless that person is on duty, for example, serving as a member of an honor guard or a color guard at a funeral or other ceremony), or (3) to engage in a religious act (even so simple an act as being asked to join hands with others when a short prayer of blessing is said over a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal in the military dining facility). Merely being present at a military ceremony or event where a military chaplain says a solemnizing prayer, however, does not violate the First Amendment, since no person is being compelled or pressured to assent to any belief, no person is being asked to participate in religious worship, and no person is being asked to engage in a religious act.

Likewise, no official in the US Government or armed forces—regardless of rank or station—has the right to compel or pressure a chaplain (or any other person, such as a lay religious leader on a naval vessel or someone else asked to pray) to pray in any particular manner. Instead, the chaplain or other person should be free to follow his conscience and the traditions of his specific faith group and to pray as he deems appropriate in the circumstances. Allowing a person to pray as he desires does not violate the establishment clause, whereas directing how he prays or pressuring him to pray in a certain way does violate the establishment clause. See Lee v. Weisman, 505 U.S. at 588–89 (noting that it is inappropriate for a government official to tell a member of the clergy how to pray).

http://aclj.org/military-rights/prayer-and-religion-in-the-military

Kittamaru, you have to admit that we live in a country where we are kowtowing to irrational beliefs. I was at a military ceremony recently where we were all asked to join in prayer. I didn't like it. I was extremely uncomfortable, and quite frankly, very concerned that our military leaders, hell, even our president believed in this stuff. Praying doesn't exude confidence, you know.

What made you uncomfortable? Did anyone single you out and attack you for not believing the same as them? What difference does it make if our military leaders believe in God, Jesus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster; so long as they are capable of performing their duties, what relevance is it to their position?

"Merely being present at a military ceremony or event where a military chaplain says a solemnizing prayer, however, does not violate the First Amendment, since no person is being compelled or pressured to assent to any belief, no person is being asked to participate in religious worship, and no person is being asked to engage in a religious act."

It’s bullshit, Kittamaru. They are told to bow their fucking heads. They are told to go to church or clean the barracks. Google it, if you don't believe me.

I can google a lot of things... and I'm not saying you are wrong. At the same time, homosexuals in the military also find themselves under fire. Women in the military find themselves under fire. Does this mean that women and homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to serve?

You are laying blame at the feet of religion... an idea, an inanimate object. It CANNOT be held responsible for what people do any more than a gun can be held responsible for the fact that some crazy half-wit decided to use it to shoot up a school. The problem is PEOPLE.

Prayer and Religion in the Military
No official in the US government or armed forces—regardless of rank or station—has the right to compel or pressure any other person (1) to assent to any specific philosophy or religious belief or creed, (2) to participate in a religious worship service (such as forcing someone to attend a chapel worship service—unless that person is on duty, for example, serving as a member of an honor guard or a color guard at a funeral or other ceremony), or (3) to engage in a religious act (even so simple an act as being asked to join hands with others when a short prayer of blessing is said over a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal in the military dining facility). Merely being present at a military ceremony or event where a military chaplain says a solemnizing prayer, however, does not violate the First Amendment, since no person is being compelled or pressured to assent to any belief, no person is being asked to participate in religious worship, and no person is being asked to engage in a religious act.

Likewise, no official in the US Government or armed forces—regardless of rank or station—has the right to compel or pressure a chaplain (or any other person, such as a lay religious leader on a naval vessel or someone else asked to pray) to pray in any particular manner. Instead, the chaplain or other person should be free to follow his conscience and the traditions of his specific faith group and to pray as he deems appropriate in the circumstances. Allowing a person to pray as he desires does not violate the establishment clause, whereas directing how he prays or pressuring him to pray in a certain way does violate the establishment clause. See Lee v. Weisman, 505 U.S. at 588–89 (noting that it is inappropriate for a government official to tell a member of the clergy how to pray).

http://aclj.org/military-rights/prayer-and-religion-in-the-military

I'm not sure what the spoiler was supposed to show... if anything, it explains how it is improper and against regulation for anyone, theist or atheist, to try and tell others how to act...

That is not cherry picking, that is a direct response to Bells example, which shows her example to be bogus.

Is there a problem with that?

I have no problem with it at all, just pointing at that there are pros and cons when it comes to religious organizations and that for every bad religious org you can dig up I can dig up a good one.

Why are you even responding to me?
Because I'm the Linguistics Moderator and you have committed an error in the use of language. One which, if uncorrected, could greatly muddle this discussion.

Bigots hate ideas, not people. If your neighbor, co-worker, brother or child is intolerant of your political beliefs, your spirituality, your notions about racism, or your taste in music, do you hate him, despite the fact that you appreciate him 99% of the time?

Fuck off asshole.
I'll let it go with an informal warning this time, but that is a violation of the SciForums rules. Do it again and you might find yourself taking another little vacation. I wonder how many of the members will miss you.

What made you uncomfortable? Did anyone single you out and attack you for not believing the same as them? What difference does it make if our military leaders believe in God, Jesus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster; so long as they are capable of performing their duties, what relevance is it to their position?

American exceptionalism for one thing. We are not God-blessed.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it and see it still...."—Ronald Reagan

"The man who prays is the one who thinks that god has arranged matters all wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct god how to put them right."― Christopher Hitchens

Kittamaru said:
I'm not sure what the spoiler was supposed to show... if anything, it explains how it is improper and against regulation for anyone, theist or atheist, to try and tell others how to act...
Exactly, it shows how it is improper to force religion on people, but it happens, it does, in schools, the military, and in the public workplace.

American exceptionalism for one thing. We are not God-blessed.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it and see it still...."—Ronald Reagan

"The man who prays is the one who thinks that god has arranged matters all wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct god how to put them right."― Christopher Hitchens

Exactly, it shows how it is improper to force religion on people, but it happens, it does, in schools, the military, and in the public workplace.

As far as the Exceptionalism goes... honestly, I think you will find that in most countries to an extent - a sense that their country is somehow better than others.

Indeed, forcing religion on people happens. As does forcing a lot of other things on people. Heck in many US schools now, it's against the rules (and an offense punishable with suspension or worse) to HUG someone!

Military leaders are representatives of the government, which is not allowed to show preference for religion or lack of it. When they speak at an official event, separation of church and state applies to their speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back