A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that different than a Christian saying, 'I hate the sin, not the sinner'?

Because, "sins" are not relevant in reality. We have laws and law enforcement. Christians hate the "sin" of homosexuality, amongst other things they hate, which is not relevant because their hatred is misplaced as they are doing little more than trying to remove the rights of others, the same rights they demand for themselves.

I don't know if I'd call you a 'bigot' or not. I rarely think in terms of the politically-correct terminology.

It would be a fallacy to do so, by definition.

But I do think that your views are both crudely simplistic and needlessly hostile.

Really? Try explaining that because it makes no sense.

It's stuff like this that make me increasingly reluctant to label myself an 'atheist', despite the fact that I don't believe in the existence of religious deities.

Stuff like what?

Talking to atheists on the internet is kind of how I imagine talking to the taliban would be.

Is that supposed to be a joke? Obviously, you don't know much about atheism, like so many others here.

Or to people who identify with a different domestic political party/ideology for that matter, it's the exact same psychological phenomenon. Choose up sides, hate your opponents, never think, never learn. Talking to atheists (or the taliban or political opponents) is more akin to flashing gang-signs (and then reaching for your gun) than it is to Socratic dialogue.

Wow, you've got some pretty messed up notions there dude.

You just asserted that. Assuming for the sake of argument that it's true, then what's wrong with "religionists" hating "heathens" like you? It isn't you they hate, it's your excreable heathenism. So their hatred isn't "bigotry" at all. You can arguably abandon your heathenism any time you like, by choosing to believe just like them.

Again, is that supposed to be joke? I don't acknowledge that I'm a heathen. It is meaningless.

And what about the theories that a predisposition towards religiosity of some sort is innate in how human cognition functions and that it finds expression in most people?

Pure nonsense.

Have you checked your dictionary lately?

Straight out of Dictionary.com:
big·ot [big-uht] noun: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.​
They give another definition from another source, but it's essentially the same, stressing intolerance of ideas about religion, politics or race.

Why are you even responding to me? Fuck off asshole.

That's really an improper and incorrect analogy. For one, religion is already regulated. The practice of your faith already has legal limits.

Much like homosexuality has legal limits? And in many countries is grounds for punishment and/or death?

But it shouldn't require that overt a showing. Like I said about the "under God" line in the pledge. It has no place in it.

It was added initially to show a uniformity and affirmation of this country's direction to attempt to do the most good in the world, as well as citing Lincoln's own words addressing this as a sovereign nation "under God". It has been upheld many times as not being a pledge to a religion, but of a ceremonial and patriotic nature. Additionally, it is ILLEGAL to force anyone to recite the pledge against their will, and it is ILLEGAL to punish someone for not doing so.

There is no slippery slope, because the principles that protect us from you also protect you from us. Aqueous Id already laid out the case in Constitutional terms.

Then if you are protected from us, and we are protected from you, what is the discord? Nobody can force you to be religious or partake in religious activity, just as nobody can stop me from doing so if I choose...

Of course, I never said "overly religious," and I don't know why the question is important. What I'm saying is that showings of religious devotion should not be part of the classroom experience, even if they're just words.

In what way? Are you suggesting students not be allowed to pray in class if they wish? Or are you saying that teachers should not be allowed to lead said prayer? If the former, then that would be an oppression of freedom of religious expression. If the latter, fine, but then we need to permit student organizations that do not require a teacher to lead them.

lol, fair enough.

I don't see it, but that's just my view. I think Q has clearly defined his position.

Others have stated the same about Q's statements *shrug*

Yes you are saying I have to ostracize myself. Let's say I'm the only one who doesn't say "Under God" during the pledge (which is a stupid idea in the first place, by the way; a child shouldn't be asked to pledge allegiance to anything, let alone a country) and my classmates notice it. Now I'm humiliated, and treated differently. How is that fair? Why should my religion--or lack thereof--ever come into play in the classroom? It has no place there, period.

Disregarding the notion of whether or not a child should be pledging anything to a country (which is an entirely voluntary action, by the by, as you cannot legally be coerced into reciting the pledge) if students humiliate you or treat you differently for not doing so, then they should be punished.

Then again, as it stands, we can't keep students from bullying other students for such menial differences as weight, height, body build, accent, creed, race, et al...

Except you apparently only think that respect should go one way. You don't for a second consider what effect that could have on someone who is different. You don't much seem to care for their religious freedom; only yours is important. I mean, you don't want to make any concessions; that's all for us to make. We have to shut up while you show your devotion, and suffer the social or perhaps institutional consequences as a result, but you won't even consider the better, more humane option of just not doing it in this setting.

Don't ever think I haven't known what it was like to be different. And again, there should be NO repercussions to NOT participating - that is, after all, the law. You are allowed to abstain/refrain, just as I am allowed to participate in it.

Well, "I'm not perfect" isn't an excuse, but at least you made good with an apology. I hope you understand, however, the hypocrisy of preaching to someone that they should love their neighbor while you also call them a bigot.

Then I shall simply try harder to live by my own creed.

Of course there's a huge difference. But, like you said, there are no ifs, ands, or butts about it.

And if they don't, you'll judge them.
It's impossible not to.

The alternative would be to do nothing and allow them to harm children... surely taking them to task for their harmful actions is far better than the alternative.

I could see that.
Saying a religion is stupid is not a breach of any personal rights. Going up to a person in the street and telling them their religion is stupid is not a violation of anything.
You should use terms like "assault" and "abuse" as their intended, rather than the way you're using them here.

Indeed, telling them they are wrong is not a violation of anything. The problem is, people don't stop there; they try to force them to leave or continue to pester them until they either leave or renounce their belief in order to get some kind of peace. That is harassment. Sometimes people take it even further and threaten them... thus making it into assault... and carry out their threats. That would be both physical and emotional/verbal abuse.

He most certainly did. Hell as a modern concept did not exist until Jesus' teachings.

This is only partially true: Before the New Testament, "hell" or Sheol as it is properly called, is not a place of torture for the unworthy; in fact, it means, quite literally, grave... which is where everyone goes when they die. However, it is also used as an "underworld"...

Sheol in the Old Testament is sometimes identified as the Pit or Hole.

One of the difficulties with understanding the Old Testament nature of Sheol is that it is sometimes identified as the Pit, in the sense of a literal pit or hole dug into the earth, "I cast him down to hell [Sheol] with them that descend into the pit" (Ezekiel 31.16 KJV bible), "Let us swallow them up alive as the grave [Sheol]; and whole, as those that go down into the pit" (Proverbs 1.12 KJV bible), "Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, To the recesses of the pit" (Isaiah 14.15 NASB bible). These verses refer to Sheol as the Pit or Hole, further associating it with the depths of the earth.
This identification of Sheol as the Pit doesn't define it as a literal pit in the ground. Rather, the Hebrew words for "pit" and "hole" are being used as figurative depictions of Sheol. The usage of the word pit portrays Sheol as a place of darkness and imprisonment, removed from the strength of God, "Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit" (Psalm 28.1 KJV bible), "For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave [Sheol]. I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" (Psalm 88.3-4 KJV bible). Various Hebrew words for pit are often used as representations of the underworld, but this symbolism not define Sheol as a literal hole in the earth.
In many verses, it's clear from the context and usage of the word pit, that something more is being implied than a literal pit in the ground. In Ezekiel, an entire city is prophesied to descend into this pit, "When I shall bring thee (Tyre) down with them that descend into the pit, with the people of old time, and shall set thee in the low parts of the earth, in places desolate of old, with them that go down to the pit, that thou be not inhabited; and I shall set glory in the land of the living" (Ezekiel 26.20 KJV bible). Sheol is being portrayed here as the Pit, meaning an ancient and desolate spiritual wasteland.
The Pit is the underworld; not the land of the living, but the land of the dead. It is a place of ruin that is associated with the depths of the earth, "Son of man, wail for the multitude of Egypt, and cast them down, even her, and the daughters of the famous nations, unto the nether parts of the earth, with them that go down into the pit" (Ezekiel 32.18 KJV bible), "There is Elam and all her multitude round about her grave, all of them slain, fallen by the sword, which are gone down uncircumcised into the nether parts of the earth, which caused their terror in the land of the living; yet have they borne their shame with them that go down to the pit" (Ezekiel 32.24 KJV bible). Is there some kind of giant mass grave in the Middle East where all these armies ended up? No, of course not, because the Pit is being used metaphorically to describe Sheol. Sheol is the realm of the deceased, and the Netherworld that these ancient warriors descended into.

Even in the new testament, though, was also not the originator of "hell". In fact:

The apocryphal books of the intertestimental period had a tremendous impact on the Jews in the time of Christ. It is from these books, especially the book of Enoch, that many of the Jewish myths and fables concerning Hell, heaven, demons and angels and many other fables first became a part of Judaism and from there became a part of Christianity. The myths and fables of these books came from Pagan influences (namely Zoroastrianism), during and after the Babylonian captivity of Israel . In fact, Zoroastrianism looks more like modern Christianity in many ways than ancient Judiasm does!

Additionally:

If Hell is real, why does Psalm 22 (one of the most prophetic passages in scripture concerning the Messiah) promise that because of the cross, " All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD , and all the families of the nations will worship before You. For the kingdom is the LORD'S and He rules over the nations. All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship , all those who go down to the dust will bow before Him, even he who cannot keep his soul alive " (Psalm 22:27-29 NASB).

If Hell is real, did Jesus fail in His mission? He said, "I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world" (John 12:47).

If Hell is real and most find their way to it, was Jesus lying when He said if He was lifted up (crucified) that He would "draw" ("drag" in the original Greek word, "helkyo") all mankind unto Himself? (John 12:32)

If Hell is real and eternal, how can the Scriptures speak of the gathering of all things into Christ? (Eph. 1:10)

If Hell is real and eternal, how can all things be subdued unto Christ? (1 Corinthians 15:28, Philippians 3:21, Hebrews 2:8).

If Hell is real and eternal, how can it be that the scriptures promise that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord? (Isaiah 45:23, Romans 14:11, Philippians 2:10).

If Hell is real and eternal, how will Jesus ever see the travail of His soul and be satisfied (Isaiah 53:11)? If the traditional understanding is correct, most of those He came to save will never experience His salvation. Do we believe that this would be satisfying to Jesus?

If Hell is real, and God sent Jesus to save people from it, can we really say that the will and pleasure of God has prospered in His hand, since, according to traditional theology, only a few will ever be saved? (Isaiah 53:10, and 55:11).

If Hell is real, and the devil is the one who deceives people into going there, isn't he ultimately the winner in the war for souls? After all, traditional interpretation of the Bible says that more people will end up in Hell than in Heaven. If so, how can we really call Satan the defeated enemy and Christ the victor?

If Hell is real and most of mankind will remain in an eternal deathlike state of torment with no chance to repent or escape, how exactly are we to understand and rejoice in the fact that Jesus destroyed death and him that had the power of death (Satan)? (Hebrews 2:14-15, 1 John 3:8, Hosea 13:14, 1 Corinthians 15:55, 1 Corinthians 15:26 etc.)

If Hell is eternal, how can the increase of Christ's government and of peace have no end? (Isaiah 9:7).

It is, like much of the worst in the bible, human influence on the holy word as people recorded it.

By dying on a cross. Makes sense. Or, wait, what's the opposite of making sense?

Jesus' death on the cross was at the hand of man. The idea it carries is what is important - he took upon himself the sins of man and suffered our punishment so that we may be saved.

Which makes me wonder why anyone pays it any mind today.

Because in the end, the overriding message and point is still relevant... more now than ever since we, as a species, appear to be falling deeper into greed and corruption, both on a social and a government level. If societies morals are so compromised, then for some of us the religious morals are all that seem to be left.

Q is mistaken if he thinks that believers don't have a right to profess or proselytize or pray in public. That is pretty much an absolute right.

Yeah, I get that. But, they don't have to in order to show respect for others. No one wants to hear their proselytizing.

@ Q

You can cherry pick all day Q and I am sure you can find plenty of fodder, no doubt there is fodder everywhere.

And, what am I cherry picking, exactly?

But there are just as many religious organizations that help communities like Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists(huge on community support without asking for anything in return) with whom I have worked with many times as an organizer, never once did they ask about my beliefs or the beliefs of those they were helping.

So what?

Quite a mouthy little bugger aren't you...

So, you missed entirely the insult directed at me from Fraggle? Did you? Or, have you conveniently forgot about that?

Can I now call you names, too. Or, will you use your big bag moderator powers and ban me?

Fucking hypocrites.

So, you missed entirely the insult directed at me from Fraggle? Did you? Or, have you conveniently forgot about that?

Can I now call you names, too. Or, will you use your big bag moderator powers and ban me?

Fucking hypocrites.

Which insult would that be? Did he insult your intelligence by correcting your incorrect understanding of the word Bigot?

Have you checked your dictionary lately?

Straight out of Dictionary.com:
big·ot [big-uht] noun: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.​
They give another definition from another source, but it's essentially the same, stressing intolerance of ideas about religion, politics or race.

In fact, that seems to be the only time Fraggle Rocker was addressing YOU at all in the last 48 hours / several pages.

So, yeah, go ahead and call me names. Rant and rave all you like. Rage impotently against your cage like a rabid animal all you like... all it does is showcase your apparent inability to hold a debate without sinking to personal attacks, baseless accusations, and copious amounts of profanity... what a mature and level headed approach

Fucking hypocrites.

Do you realize that you are acting like a petulant child? Grow up!

Which insult would that be? Did he insult your intelligence by correcting your incorrect understanding of the word Bigot?

In fact, that seems to be the only time Fraggle Rocker was addressing YOU at all in the last 48 hours / several pages.

So, yeah, go ahead and call me names. Rant and rave all you like. Rage impotently against your cage like a rabid animal all you like... all it does is showcase your apparent inability to hold a debate without sinking to personal attacks, baseless accusations, and copious amounts of profanity... what a mature and level headed approach

At first I thought it was a mistake for Tiassa to confront the atheists on this forum, but right now he is sure looking prophetic to me.

Ahowerst I thought it was a mistake for Tiassa to confront the atheists on this forum, but right now he is sure looking prophetic to me.

The sad thing is I take no joy in this. I just cant stand to see how much some people would want to rescind a religious persons ability to worship as they want... it is a founding principle of our nation here :(

And, what am I cherry picking, exactly?

So what?

I was responding to this response to Bells:

Putting Bells emotionally charged rant aside, she would like to know how this is perceived by the public.

In 2001, victims of the El Salvador earthquake had to sit through a half hour prayer meeting before receiving assistance (publicly funded aid) from this organization.

No Bells, the public did not perceive this in a positive light at all.

In 2003, Franklin Graham, stated that Islam is a "very evil and wicked religion" leading to opposition campaigns by Islamic leaders.

Again Bells, the public did not perceive this in a positive light at all.

This organization has been criticized (publicly) in the UK, Canada, the United States, Ireland and other countries. The British supermarket chain, Co-op, and South Wales Fire Service both suspended their support for the project after numerous complaints about its religious connections.

You see Bells, there is a great deal of negativity perceived by the public as a result of this organizations evangelistic motives over actual care for people.

Do you even care about the fact this organization thumbs their noses at the law in order to spread the gospel, before offering publicly funded aid to victims?

As it appears, you do not care. You must feel that they are above the law and can do whatever they want in order to convert others?

The official stance of the Methodist Church on hell:

"The official United Methodist doctrine is that Jesus will judge the living and the dead. Those who have not accepted Jesus’ offer of forgiveness and new life are at risk of living apart from him for all eternity. Jesus Christ alone is empowered to judge one’s eternal destiny.

The Nicene Creed:
“He (Jesus) will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead.”

Article XII, The Confession of Faith, The Book of Discipline:
“We believe all persons stand under the righteous judgment of Jesus Christ, both now and in the last day. We believe in the resurrection of the dead; the righteous to life eternal and the wicked to endless condemnation.”

I just feel empathy and sadness for anyone that thinks others are going to a place of eternal pain and suffering. My mother thinks that i will be going to hell and this thought brings her great sadness and I do not want that for her. But nonetheless, she was raised to believe this and it has been pounded in to her all her life from the various churches she has attended throughout her life, what am I to do? I cannot laugh at her and tell her she is ignorant for believing this way.

quinnsong, there is no politically correct way to say this, so I'll just say it; I wonder what her response would be to learn that the concept of "hell" as an "eternal torment" is actually derived from pagan beliefs...

"The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.

O sinner! Consider the fearful danger you are in: it is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath, that you are held over in the hand of that God, whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you, as against many of the damned in hell. You hang by a slender thread, with the flames of divine wrath flashing about it, and ready every moment to singe it, and burn it asunder; and you have no interest in any Mediator, and nothing to lay hold of to save yourself, nothing to keep off the flames of wrath, nothing of your own, nothing that you ever have done, nothing that you can do, to induce God to spare you one moment. -- And consider here more particularly,

1.Whose wrath it is: it is the wrath of the infinite God. If it were only the wrath of man, though it were of the most potent prince, it would be comparatively little to be regarded. The wrath of kings is very much dreaded, especially of absolute monarchs, who have the possessions and lives of their subjects wholly in their power, to be disposed of at their mere will. Prov. 20:2. "The fear of a king is as the roaring of a lion: Whoso provoketh him to anger, sinneth against his own soul." The subject that very much enrages an arbitrary prince, is liable to suffer the most extreme torments that human art can invent, or human power can inflict. But the greatest earthly potentates in their greatest majesty and strength, and when clothed in their greatest terrors, are but feeble, despicable worms of the dust, in comparison of the great and almighty Creator and King of heaven and earth. It is but little that they can do, when most enraged, and when they have exerted the utmost of their fury. All the kings of the earth, before God, are as grasshoppers; they are nothing, and less than nothing: both their love and their hatred is to be despised. The wrath of the great King of kings, is as much more terrible than theirs, as his majesty is greater. Luke 12:4,5. "And I say unto you, my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that, have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom you shall fear: fear him, which after he hath killed, hath power to cast into hell: yea, I say unto you, Fear him."--Jonathan Edwards "Sinner in the hands of an angry God"
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/sermons.sinners.html

Much like homosexuality has legal limits? And in many countries is grounds for punishment and/or death?

No, nothing like that at all. If Aqueous' posts did nothing to educate you to the necessity of these laws, then there's nothing I can say that will.

It was added initially to show a uniformity and affirmation of this country's direction to attempt to do the most good in the world, as well as citing Lincoln's own words addressing this as a sovereign nation "under God".

LOL! No. Just, no. It was wholly a Christian movement, began by the Sons of the American Revolution, carried on by the Knights of Columbus, and even introduced as a bill by Congress to separate the pledge from similar-sounding creeds recited by "Godless communists" of the time. And it was made official by Dwight Eisenhower, who said of the addition:

"In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."

The legal track record of the addition is spurious. Consider the opinion given when it was first upheld in 1963:

"The reference to divinity in the revised pledge of allegiance, for example, may merely recognize the historical fact that our Nation was believed to have been founded 'under God."

I think the Founders might have something to say about that. In 1983, it was decided that the practice had become a statement of "shared values" rather than a religious practice, which, as the record shows--and any defender of the phrase will tell you--is horseshit. In 1985, this load of gibberish was used to defend it:

"[It] serve as an acknowledgment of religion with the legitimate secular purpose of solemnizing public occasions, and expressing confidence in the future."

When school prayer was ruled unconstitutional in 1992, Judge Scalia--perhaps unwittingly--gave the blueprint for future cases against the inclusion of "Under God":

"since the Pledge of Allegiance has been revised... to include the phrase 'under God,' recital of the Pledge would appear to raise the same Establishment Clause issue" as the prayers. "If students were psychologically coerced to remain standing during the invocation, they must also have been psychologically coerced, moments before, to stand for (and thereby, in the Court's view, take part in or appear to take part in) the Pledge. Must the Pledge therefore be barred from the public schools (both from graduation ceremonies and from the classroom)?"

In 2002, the Ninth Circuit court finally ruled the pledge unconstitutional:

"[N]o official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. The Pledge, as currently codified, is an impermissible government endorsement of religion because it sends a message to unbelievers 'that they are outsiders, not full members of the political community, and an accompanying message to adherents that they are insiders, favored members of the political community.'"

The ruling was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court, but strictly on technical grounds: The person who brought the suit forward apparently had no legal standing to sue.

Then if you are protected from us, and we are protected from you, what is the discord? Nobody can force you to be religious or partake in religious activity, just as nobody can stop me from doing so if I choose...

Who said they can't stop you from partaking in a religious activity? Where do you get that idea?

Of course you can be stopped. Go on, try to sacrifice your child to God. See how that works out for you.

This has nothing to do with freedom of expression. This is an Establishment Clause issue. Eventually, "Under God" will be removed from the Pledge.

In what way? Are you suggesting students not be allowed to pray in class if they wish? Or are you saying that teachers should not be allowed to lead said prayer? If the former, then that would be an oppression of freedom of religious expression. If the latter, fine, but then we need to permit student organizations that do not require a teacher to lead them.

I don't think the school needs to permit anything of the sort. Go home and pray. And I don't need to worry about teachers leading prayer, because it's already been found unconstitutional.

Others have stated the same about Q's statements *shrug*

I don't hold the opinions of Q's dissenters in high regard, so I don't really care.

Disregarding the notion of whether or not a child should be pledging anything to a country (which is an entirely voluntary action, by the by, as you cannot legally be coerced into reciting the pledge) if students humiliate you or treat you differently for not doing so, then they should be punished.

You miss the point. Assuming children have the capacity to make a decision of that nature is fucking absurd. Also, it's about making sure people don't have to feel ashamed or different because of their faith, not just a protection for them in the case of official mistreatment.

Then again, as it stands, we can't keep students from bullying other students for such menial differences as weight, height, body build, accent, creed, race, et al...

Precisely.

Don't ever think I haven't known what it was like to be different. And again, there should be NO repercussions to NOT participating - that is, after all, the law. You are allowed to abstain/refrain, just as I am allowed to participate in it.

Read above.

The alternative would be to do nothing and allow them to harm children... surely taking them to task for their harmful actions is far better than the alternative.

Of course it would be better. But it's also in violation of Jesus' admonition to judge not.

Indeed, telling them they are wrong is not a violation of anything. The problem is, people don't stop there; they try to force them to leave or continue to pester them until they either leave or renounce their belief in order to get some kind of peace. That is harassment. Sometimes people take it even further and threaten them... thus making it into assault... and carry out their threats. That would be both physical and emotional/verbal abuse.

Imaginary theist-thumping aside, threats do not constitute assault. And none of this is a valid argument against Q's actions, so...

This is only partially true: Before the New Testament, "hell" or Sheol as it is properly called, is not a place of torture for the unworthy; in fact, it means, quite literally, grave... which is where everyone goes when they die. However, it is also used as an "underworld"...

No, it's entirely true. I didn't say there was no concept of the afterlife, only that Jesus introduced the notion of hellfire. Which he did. There is no notion of a tormenting fire, or even a painful afterlife, until Jesus. That's not to say it didn't exist in other faiths, only that he introduced it to Judaism (his branch of which would become Christianity) .

It is, like much of the worst in the bible, human influence on the holy word as people recorded it.

Oh please. Trying to explain away the bad parts of the bible as being human error doesn't pass the smell test.

Jesus' death on the cross was at the hand of man. The idea it carries is what is important - he took upon himself the sins of man and suffered our punishment so that we may be saved.

What I don't get is how it's supposed to be an absolvement of sin. Doesn't make any sense.

Then again, I don't particularly care, because it didn't happen.

Because in the end, the overriding message and point is still relevant... more now than ever since we, as a species, appear to be falling deeper into greed and corruption, both on a social and a government level. If societies morals are so compromised, then for some of us the religious morals are all that seem to be left.

Standard fear-mongering BS. People have always been greedy, and always corrupt. The messages of the bible are, unsurprisingly, very much of their time. Nothing within has any usefulness unless taken entirely out of context, and modern, western values are used to fill in the blanks.

quinnsong, there is no politically correct way to say this, so I'll just say it; I wonder what her response would be to learn that the concept of "hell" as an "eternal torment" is actually derived from pagan beliefs...

Oh no, she will have none of that. Unfortunately she is about as Fundamentalist as you can get, a fire and brimstone kinda gal. No talking reason with a Southern Baptist right wing conservative who believes in demons. Wanna try? lol

They always respond with the story of the rich man and Lazarus. Luke 16:19-31.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back