A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said you were being emotional. Which you were. Your response was a knee-jerk reaction to something you misunderstood. Hence, emotional.

What you're saying here is that because you're a woman, you can't be accused of being emotional. Sorry, that's not going to fly. If you react irrationally, I'm going to say so. If you don't want to hear it, try thinking before you type.

Then act like it. Stop reacting so irrationally. Stop having tantrums.

And I didn't say anyone was being mean to me. I wrote a ticket that you were harassing Magical Realist. Which you were.

And is that what you think of the "Report" and Ticket functions? Crying? Good to know, Bells.

So therefore when you react emotionally, no one is allowed to say so?
I have repeatedly asserted that I was not emotional. Yet you seem incapable of paying attention and instead, you have repeatedly attempted to shut me out of this discussion by saying that I am being emotional. And as I have explained to you a few times now, this is what sexist and misogynistic men have often resorted to to try to shut women out of dialogue. And as I have requested several times now, cut it out.

Now, to the issue of the report button..

The issue isn't that is what I think of the report button Balerion. The issue is that you report every little thing. Anything at all. Half the time, it's for things you just don't agree with what a particular poster is saying or with their opinion. And I'm not talking about hate speech, or homophobic speech, etc. But half the time, it's with their opinion for disagreeing with you. That's not what it is designed for. You see anyone disagreeing with you or not bending to comply with your wishes as a personal insult or affront and you report them. There are times when hitting the report button is warranted. I'll put it this way, you only look for bad in people you don't like or who aren't agreeing with you. You didn't even see the posts where Sorcerer called for murdering pastors and bombing and burning churches. You didn't report it. It slipped under your radar because well, you're on the same side, fighting the same cause and you're both offended by the OP's request that atheists stop acting like we're brainless.

I responded to MR's comments to Yazata because he outed him in this thread. Yazata admitted he had said he was bisexual on another board (ie not on Sciforums). Whether he had said it on this board or not is beside the point. MR chose to out him in this thread and tried to use his (Yazata's) sexuality to force Yazata into being shamed into complying and agreeing with him. And that to me is so wrong. And you saw no issue with what MR was doing, because you are on the same side. So you open a ticket about me, because you disagree with the fact that I saw what MR was doing was wrong and told him so. That's fine, you do that. But when the administrators view the tickets (I am assuming you mean the report button?), and they do get the tickets so demanding Kitta reopen it is kind of silly, they will review it and in doing so, they will review the fact that MR basically outed Yazata's sexuality on this site and in this thread without Yazata's consent and then tried to use Yazata's sexuality to sway the debate. And that is exactly what MR was doing. He was trying to sway him into doing what he wanted by using his sexuality and expected him to do because of his sexuality.

Now, if you think trying to use someone's sexuality to sway or force someone's hand or force them into complying with a particular opinion is acceptable, then fine for you. I, as a person, do not, which is why I expressed my opinion to MR about it.

Look get your own thread and fish, bait, troll and bitch all you want or get back to the topic. Stop making it about you and the moderation, please.

You're the one making it about me. I'm in the middle of a heated exchange with other participants. It's a group thing. We're all in on this.

If you wish to REALLY fight for the greater good of the site, then STOP FIGHTING. You have made a holy crusade out of this, and just like the crusades you are out seeking blood where none needs to be shed.

As I have said, now on three venues... take my advice, and drop it. If something needs to change, it will change in good time. However, you trying to point out every flaw and every wrong and every single place where anyone steps out of line is not helping. It is not your job, your place, or your privilege to do so. If you think there has been some egregious violation, submit a ticket and it will be looked at. You should know as well as anyone else that my co-moderators do not receive special "kid gloves" from me just because they are moderators... I question them, here and in the back room, when I disagree or feel they have acted erroneously. If the facts hold up, then I acquiesce and life moves on. If they are wrong, they do so.

What you are doing, though, is equivalent to taking a big stick, going up to the neighbors dog, and poking it REPEATEDLY until it bites you, and then running to the cops and demanding to have the dog put down.

EDIT - this will likely be my last post here tonight, as it is getting late and I have to be at work early tomorrow to help setup for a demonstration that could win or lose a potentially million dollar client for us... so please excuse me if my priorities seem elsewhere right now.

No WE are not, I do not insult people in the manner in which you do nor do I treat people like fairweather friends. I get it, you love a hot and nasty debate just for the sake of it nothing more. I have been on topic mostly in this thread and I actually posted a response to Yazata's post that now has been lost in all this bullshit.You see, I am actually interested in the subject of this thread and not interested in attacking specific people.

"Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it--what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellow men. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. Every effort should be made to eradicate self-importance from the lives of warriors. Without self-importance we are invulnerable."--Carlos Castaneda

I have repeatedly asserted that I was not emotional.

I don't care that you say you're not emotional. Your actions suggest otherwise. You jumped down MR's throat and acted as if your way was the word of God itself, and insisted yourself upon a situation out of pure reaction. You even seemed to change course later on (perhaps when you took a second to think about what you were writing).

Yet you seem incapable of paying attention and instead, you have repeatedly attempted to shut me out of this discussion by saying that I am being emotional. And as I have explained to you a few times now, this is what sexist and misogynistic men have often resorted to to try to shut women out of dialogue. And as I have requested several times now, cut it out.

I'm not going to stop telling you when you're being irrational or emotional, so stop asking me to.

I was attempting to get you to shut up because you were wrong. If were reacting emotionally and were right, I wouldn't have said anything.

If it clears the air any, and is any consolation, I do not mean "emotional" in the hand-wringing, hysterical, shut-up-wummin" misogynistic sense. I would say "obviously," but it's apparently not obvious to you, so there it is. When I say you are acting emotionally (and I don't just say it to you, I've said it to others, mostly males) I mean that you are being reactionary, or irrational.

Now, to the issue of the report button..

The issue isn't that is what I think of the report button Balerion. The issue is that you report every little thing. Anything at all. Half the time, it's for things you just don't agree with what a particular poster is saying or with their opinion. And I'm not talking about hate speech, or homophobic speech, etc. But half the time, it's with their opinion for disagreeing with you. That's not what it is designed for. You see anyone disagreeing with you or not bending to comply with your wishes as a personal insult or affront and you report them. There are times when hitting the report button is warranted. I'll put it this way, you only look for bad in people you don't like or who aren't agreeing with you.

Sorry, none of that is true. I report things when people aggressively break the rules. More accurately, I report them when they are attempting to disrupt a discussion. I do not report people for disagreeing with me, which is a ludicrous accusation, and one that you should retract because you have access to reports that regular members don't.

You didn't even see the posts where Sorcerer called for murdering pastors and bombing and burning churches. You didn't report it. It slipped under your radar because well, you're on the same side, fighting the same cause and you're both offended by the OP's request that atheists stop acting like we're brainless.

No, I missed it because I simply overlooked it. It happens.

I also don't report every instance of trolling, or flaming, even with people I don't agree with. I tend to do it when a poster has upset me. I find that it's better to report than to respond in kind. And there is a therapeutic element to it. And it's what we're told to do, so why are you complaining?

I responded to MR's comments to Yazata because he outed him in this thread. Yazata admitted he had said he was bisexual on another board (ie not on Sciforums). Whether he had said it on this board or not is beside the point. MR chose to out him in this thread and tried to use his (Yazata's) sexuality to force Yazata into being shamed into complying and agreeing with him. And that to me is so wrong. And you saw no issue with what MR was doing, because you are on the same side.

That isn't fair. I told you why I saw no issue with it. Is this one of those missed posts you're talking about?

So you open a ticket about me, because you disagree with the fact that I saw what MR was doing was wrong and told him so.

No, I opened a ticket because you were harassing MR. Disagreeing with someone's position is quite different from the tack you chose to take.

That's fine, you do that. But when the administrators view the tickets, and they do get the tickets so demanding Kitta reopen it is kind of silly

How am I supposed to know that, Bells?

, they will review it and in doing so, they will review the fact that MR basically outed Yazata's sexuality on this site and in this thread without Yazata's consent and then tried to use Yazata's sexuality to sway the debate. And that is exactly what MR was doing. He was trying to sway him into doing what he wanted by using his sexuality and expected him to do because of his sexuality.

No, he wasn't. He's told you as much, and so have I. You choose to ignore it, that's your business, but don't try to make anyone else fit into your narrow view. Your accusations were ugly and unwarranted. And what's frustrating is that you're fully aware of it, which is why you still haven't answered my question. You won't because you can't. Because you know you're wrong, and all of this is for show, because it's about appearing to be right, not actually being right.

Now, if you think trying to use someone's sexuality to sway or force someone's hand or force them into complying with a particular opinion is acceptable, then fine for you. I, as a person, do not, which is why I expressed my opinion to MR about it.

No one is being forced into anything. No one is being persecuted. (You use language like that, and you expect no one to say you're being irrational?) MR wanted to know why someone who is so outspoken against atheist behavior and yet is himself a target of the behavior of the religious says nothing on that subject. It's a perfectly valid question. You do the same thing when you dictate how atheists should act in order to be "proper" atheists, or do atheism "the right way." For some reason, you have this illogical hangup because it's sexuality. I'm here to tell you, there's no difference.

So we're sharing the contents of personal emails on the forum now? I can't believe you'd do me like that. And, I can't believe you'd put yourself at risk in such a way. I mean, I could TOTALLY blow up your spot right now--and you know what I'm talking about--but I'm not going to do that, because that would be supremely fucked up. And in spite of me thinking you're acting like a cunt, I still value your friendship. I guess that makes one of us, then?
Let me see if I have this..

You wrote him on his personal and private email account and called him a 'c-bomb' for not agreeing with you and not complying with your demands with something on this site. He asks you to stop and you keep emailing him and harassing him.. And you actually think you can blow up his spot right now?

What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't think I would be the only one who would find that kind of fucked up.

You think you could blow up his spot right now because you emailed him on his personal email address and abused him for something on this site? You actually think harassing him on his private email address and his being forced to go public because you wouldn't stop emailing him about it even after he asked you to stop is going to work out well for you, so much so that you threaten to "blow up his spot right now"?

Get a grip. Harassing him via email and abusing him is not acceptable and threatening him because he was forced into demanding you stop since you wouldn't listen when he asked you privately is an even more stupid move.

If you wish to REALLY fight for the greater good of the site, then STOP FIGHTING. You have made a holy crusade out of this, and just like the crusades you are out seeking blood where none needs to be shed.

As I have said, now on three venues... take my advice, and drop it. If something needs to change, it will change in good time. However, you trying to point out every flaw and every wrong and every single place where anyone steps out of line is not helping. It is not your job, your place, or your privilege to do so. If you think there has been some egregious violation, submit a ticket and it will be looked at. You should know as well as anyone else that my co-moderators do not receive special "kid gloves" from me just because they are moderators... I question them, here and in the back room, when I disagree or feel they have acted erroneously. If the facts hold up, then I acquiesce and life moves on. If they are wrong, they do so.

What you are doing, though, is equivalent to taking a big stick, going up to the neighbors dog, and poking it REPEATEDLY until it bites you, and then running to the cops and demanding to have the dog put down.

EDIT - this will likely be my last post here tonight, as it is getting late and I have to be at work early tomorrow to help setup for a demonstration that could win or lose a potentially million dollar client for us... so please excuse me if my priorities seem elsewhere right now.

I think you're wrong. I don't think you're giving this proper consideration. I am not randomly going about chasing Bells around and attacking her. I'm involved in this discussion the same as she is. She pointed out something she felt very passionately about, and so did I--except, I didn't do it with the same zeal. Why is it okay for her to do that, but not for me?

It really does seem to be that my crime here is questioning Bells. How dare I, right? I mean, Bells questions MR angrily, no problem. I question Bells calmly and logically, and I'm part of the problem? I'm sorry, that doesn't cut the mustard.

Sleep on it. Maybe you'll come to your senses in the morning.

Let me see if I have this..

You wrote him on his personal and private email account and called him a 'c-bomb' for not agreeing with you and not complying with your demands with something on this site. He asks you to stop and you keep emailing him and harassing him.. And you actually think you can blow up his spot right now?

What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't think I would be the only one who would find that kind of fucked up.

You think you could blow up his spot right now because you emailed him on his personal email address and abused him for something on this site? You actually think harassing him on his private email address and his being forced to go public because you wouldn't stop emailing him about it even after he asked you to stop is going to work out well for you, so much so that you threaten to "blow up his spot right now"?

Get a grip. Harassing him via email and abusing him is not acceptable and threatening him because he was forced into demanding you stop since you wouldn't listen when he asked you privately is an even more stupid move.

Excuse me, mind your fucking business.

Edit to add..

Balerion, since you have taken to emailing staff here abuse and harassing them by email, I'm not going to respond to you anymore. We have a right to not be harassed and abused on our private email accounts. You have an issue with a mod or with another member, hit the report button or as a last resort, use the complaints site. Don't take it to personal email. None of us signed up for that kind of crap. So blather away, you and I are done.

I believe he is trying to goad me with the fact that I discussed with him outside the forums part of what was going on with the recent issues involving Syne as a moderator... which to be blunt I never intended as some sort of super secret thing, else I wouldnt have discussed them in a recordable medium.

As to you questioning Bells "calmly and logically"... I woyld ask the community at large their opinion on tgat.

Now, I really need sleep so I am muting my phone so as not to be bothered by my subscription to this thread alerting me to every post

I believe he is trying to goad me with the fact that I discussed with him outside the forums part of what was going on with the recent issues involving Syne as a moderator... which to be blunt I never intended as some sort of super secret thing, else I wouldnt have discussed them in a recordable medium.
That's beside the point. Abusing and harassing you via email because you won't do as he demands is out of line and not acceptable, by any stretch of the imagination.

As to you questioning Bells "calmly and logically"... I woyld ask the community at large their opinion on tgat.

Now, I really need sleep so I am muting my phone so as not to be bothered by my subscription to this thread alerting me to every post

Excuse me, but how many posts contained the words, "Now, this doesn't leave this email, right?"

Unreal, dude. Unreal. I thought we were friends, and you do this to me. Unbelievable.

That's beside the point. Abusing and harassing you via email because you won't do as he demands is out of line and not acceptable, by any stretch of the imagination.

There was no abuse, and no harassment. Two friends getting into an argument, or at least that's what I thought. It turns out that Kitt isn't the friend I thought he was.

Edit to add..

Balerion, since you have taken to emailing staff here abuse and harassing them by email, I'm not going to respond to you anymore. We have a right to not be harassed and abused on our private email accounts. You have an issue with a mod or with another member, hit the report button or as a last resort, use the complaints site. Don't take it to personal email. None of us signed up for that kind of crap. So blather away, you and I are done.

:rolleyes:

Kitt and I communicate privately via email. We know each other's names. I appealed to him privately because I thought I could speak to him more plainly there. I was, quite apparently, wrong. Turns out that Kitt wasn't a friend to begin with.

So do not pretend that I stalk you, or that I seek out your personal information. I did nothing of the sort.

*snrk* Well, that depends on the man in question now, doesn't it?

*rimshot*

Sorry... my mind... visiting the gutter... couldnt' help it.
oh my, are you bored?
in my opinion men are responsible for 99% of the brain damage in women.
then again some women don't want respect, they want sex.
i've learned one valuable lesson in regards to women:
when in doubt, go for it, and speak your mind.
anyway . . .

Atheists are political just like everyone else so in the sense that Fundamentalism is more about politics than spirituality it gets a little muddy and that is their intention. If one choose to edify oneself with whatever deity by oneself or in a group setting so be it. Most American Christians seem content with this form of spirituality and I am equally content with them. Fundamentalists want a theocracy and if you see me as militant about my activism against this movement, then I guess I am a militant in your eyes.

I find this to be a very interesting and good point.

In the past, atheists were not openly political in the US. The rise of the religious right in the US has resulted in Presidents and members of Government having to declare if they are theists or not. In Australia, when our former Prime Minister said she was an atheist, it was more a thing of 'err okay, this matters why?' for the greater majority of people.

But in the US, religious belief in politicians seems to be vitally important. Now more so than in the past.

For starters, consider that there is not a single self-described atheist in Congress today. Not one. It wasn’t until 2007 that Rep. Pete Stark, a Democrat from Northern California, became the first member of Congress and the highest-ranking public official ever to admit to being an atheist. (And even he framed it in terms of religious affiliation, calling himself “a Unitarian who does not believe in a supreme being.”) Stark was elected twice after this, but when the 20-term congressman lost his seat last year, it was to a 31-year-old primary challenger who attacked him as irreligious, citing, among other things, Stark’s vote against our national motto: “In God We Trust.”

Let's face it, declaring one's self an atheist is political suicide if you are a politician in America.

And sometimes I ask myself if our argument against the political religious right brings even more attention to them? But to not speak up is to simply lie down and do nothing.

My fear is that we as atheist are becoming what we hate. That we are becoming like the religious fundamentalists we complain about - who wouldn't vote for someone based on their atheism. That we could get to a point where we would start to discriminate against someone for being a theist.

MY opposition to religion is very specific and issue-based: its dehumanization of gay people as evil perverts who have no right to live their lives. It always amazes me Yazata how silent you are on this issue.

Hello and welcome back. Yazata told me he doesn't like his atheists bitter.

Sexual taboos of this sort you're referring to feed off of a sadistic voyeurism. Yazata cringes when I say it, and Tiassa morphs into a battle axe wielding a rolling pin . . . but tell me what is the value of a religion if it turns its congregation in freaks?

At this point I no longer care how much of it is syrupy religiosity and how much is something deeper. Since if offends them I'll just say it again: look at all the voyeurs. What a bunch of losers. Praise the Lord and pass the binoculars. :rolleyes:

oh my, are you bored?
in my opinion men are responsible for 99% of the brain damage in women.
then again some women don't want respect, they want sex.
i've learned one valuable lesson in regards to women:
when in doubt, go for it, and speak your mind.
anyway . . .
There are so many things wrong with that post, that really, I could spend days ripping it to shreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back