A race horse

I don't understand the analogy. Is he saying that Hindus are unfocused? That Christians and Muslims are not? And Buddhists just muddle along with less faith? What?

Faith is not a virtue in Buddhism, the aim of Buddhism is to gain enlightenment and escape the wheel of Karma, belief in a god or gods is a form of attachment and attachment is the root of all suffering.
Buddha was not a god but a man who gained enlightenment, to worship Buddha is a distortion of what its all about, Buddhist's honor his teachings or they should.
That’s why Buddhism is not a religion its “The middle path”, the road to enlightenment.
You’ve never heard about a Buddhist killing someone in the name of Buddhism have you?

Faith is not a virtue in Buddhism, the aim of Buddhism is to gain enlightenment and escape the wheel of Karma, belief in a god or gods is a form of attachment and attachment is the root of all suffering.
Buddha was not a god but a man who gained enlightenment, to worship Buddha is a distortion of what its all about, Buddhist's honor his teachings or they should.
That’s why Buddhism is not a religion its “The middle path”, the road to enlightenment.
You’ve never heard about a Buddhist killing someone in the name of Buddhism have you?

Shit, I suppose even if people need to what may amount to a quasi-religion then I'm more than willing to have Buddhism replace all Earth's religion, anything's better than what we have now. It's a step in the right direction although personally I couldn't give a damn about it.

Thats all well and good in theory, but in practice every single society where Buddhism has been the state religion has become fascist. Why?

I think Buddhism is out of touch with reality [personal opinion] and hence only works well for those inclined to escapism.

Yes I have. Ever hear about the LTTE? The Japanese? The Banpo? The Burmese junta?

In whatever countries Buddhism has became official ideology—whether Theravada Buddhism in Southeast Asia or Tantric Buddhism in Tibet or East Asia—war has often been zealously waged. At present, the Buddhists of Sri Lanka, for example, have openly taken up the struggle against the Tamil freedom fighters. What is true of Japanese Zen holds equally for other forms of Buddhism. Long before its lyrical metaphysical flights exerted their charm, Buddhism took hold first and foremost as a tool for protecting States.

Buddhist law often had to bow to reason of State. But in many instances it also provided an ideology for counterforces, inspiring peasant revolts in the name of a millenarianism centered on the coming of the future Maitreya Buddha. In one of these movements, in China, arising at the start of the sixth century c.e., the rebels, using the Buddhist title of "Grand Vehicle" (Mahayana), undertook to rid the world of its "demons"—starting with the era's Buddhist clergy.

In Japan, on the other hand, Buddhism managed to pave the way for feudal struggles, creating a new type of religious figure, the "warrior monk." It is only at the end of the sixteenth century, after centuries of internecine struggles, that the great monasteries were subdued by the military government. The ensuing subordination explains in part why, after the Meiji Restoration (1868), Japanese Buddhism proved no force against militarism, and fell into line with "spiritual mobilization."

Thus, Japanese militarism blended Buddhist doctrine with the imperial sauce, reducing it to its simplest expression, to bend it to official propaganda. The Buddhist theory of selflessness served, for instance, to justify giving one's life for the Emperor, while the notion of the Two Truths (conventional and ultimate) served to explain the contradiction between the principle of respect for human life and patriotic duty. However, these ideas are not merely belated deviations in the necessary adaptation of Buddhism to Japanese culture. They have a long history.

In fact, reasons for bending the principle of nonviolence were never wanting. There were considerations of a practical nature: when Buddhist Law is threatened, it is necessary to ruthlessly fight the forces of evil. Kill them all, and the Buddha will recognize his own. Murder in this case is piously qualified as "liberation," since the demon, duly killed out of compassion, will be released from its ignorance and can then be reborn under better auspices. The crucial moment in Tibetan ritual dances comes when the priests stab an effigy personifying the demon forces. This ritual is thought to repeat a monk's murder of King Glang dar ma (842), a persecutor of Buddhism (as such, clearly "possessed" by Evil). Various other theories use this same casuistry, including the idea that it is just to kill out of charity or compassion, to prevent another person from comitting evil.

http://www.sangam.org/articles/view/?id=118

etc etc

I have no trouble with intolerant ideologies just assholes.

I get along well with many people with ideologies unlike mine or ones I strongly disagree with.

I don't get along with assholes even if they share my ideologies.
Me too.

I've known many racists in my time. Many are pretty good people otherwise. I sort think think that they really can't help it that they were programmed to think intolerantly of other people that don't look what they think "white" people look like. And maybe there's some DNA regulation going on too. BUT, if they are overtly WASP then forget it. I am not going to spend what little free time I have arguing with a WASP. Now, IF they seem like they want to learn and maybe change their intolerant ideologies, ok then, I'm happy to discuss racism with them. BUT, at some point one has to call it a day.

Let's call it day SAM shall you and I?

Me too.

I've known many racists in my time. Many are pretty good people otherwise. I sort think think that they really can't help it that they were programmed to think intolerantly of other people that don't look what they think "white" people look like. And maybe there's some DNA regulation going on too. BUT, if they are overtly WASP then forget it. I am not going to spend what little free time I have arguing with a WASP. Now, IF they seem like they want to learn and maybe change their intolerant ideologies, ok then, I'm happy to discuss racism with them. BUT, at some point one has to call it a day.

Let's call it day SAM shall you and I?

I already have, if you noticed. I only present my opinions. I don't try to argue with assholes anymore. Let them enjoy their blinkered view of thinking they know what everyone else should be. If someone thinks wiping his ass with the Quran represents his secularism, who am I to point out the irony?

SAM said:
Thats all well and good in theory, but in practice every single society where Buddhism has been the state religion has become fascist. Why?
The tendency of countries with state religions to take on the less respected characteristics of fascism is age old - predates fascism itself. Authoritarian and atavistic describes them both, for starters.

We see the pattern and consequent resemblances exploited today, by people using words like "Islamofascism" and the like.

The religion of the Japanese fascist state was more Shinto, than Buddhist.

SAM said:
I think Buddhism is out of touch with reality [personal opinion] and hence only works well for those inclined to escapism.
To a race horse, a horse leaving the race is engaged in escapism, failing to recognize reality, etc. This is especially true of blinkered race horses, whose field of view is confined to the track, and the reality laid out for them.

Just saying.

To a race horse, a horse leaving the race is engaged in escapism, failing to recognize reality, etc. This is especially true of blinkered race horses, whose field of view is confined to the track, and the reality laid out for them.

Just saying.

And for the race horse, that is the correct viewpoint. And if you were betting on the outcome of that race, you would share it

SAM said:
And for the race horse, that is the correct viewpoint. And if you were betting on the outcome of that race, you would share it
I wouldn't confuse it with "reality".

I wouldn't confuse it with "reality".

Uh for a race horse, that is reality. For the horse that thinks he is a race horse but doesn't want to run, well, he's in the wrong place and should just quit the race and figure out wtf he thinks he is doing on the tracks to begin with.

Uh for a race horse, that is reality. For the horse that thinks he is a race horse but doesn't want to run, well, he's in the wrong place and should just quit the race and figure out wtf he thinks he is doing on the tracks to begin with.

As if it had a choice to begin with :p

Well clearly, it had the choice to walk off in the middle. And keep walking.

Who cares? Just get out of the way of those who want to race.

Race horses are conditioned to race. I hope you're not denying that.
If they quit halfway it's not because they freely chose that. It's because of a panic attack, an injury, etc.
So.. as far as the analogy goes, well, I guess you see where I'm going :p

Race horses are conditioned to race. I hope you're not denying that.
If they quit halfway it's not because they freely chose that. It's because of a panic attack, an injury, etc.
So.. as far as the analogy goes, well, I guess you see where I'm going :p

Yeah, if you're not a race horse, you shouldn't be in a race.

Back