A race horse

what?
no distinctions b/w man and god?
the evidentiary claims for both are of the same standards?

Well if the question is the same then the standards should also be the same? Otherwise you can change your standards all the time depending on what you want to prove, and then there is no point to discussion.

Do you believe there is racism in animals too?
I haven't a clue.
Of what significance is that?

Well I have not experienced Buddha's existence either but I am willing to concede on faith that he may have existed. :p
That's neither here nor there.
Allah's existence is central to and necessary for Islam - Siddhartha's existence is not necessary for Buddhism. It is the words attributed to teh Buddha that form Buddhism - whether or not Siddhartha ever existed makes no difference at all.

I haven't a clue.
Of what significance is that?

That's neither here nor there.
Allah's existence is central to and necessary for Islam - Siddhartha's existence is not necessary for Buddhism. It is the words attributed to teh Buddha that form Buddhism - whether or not Siddhartha ever existed makes no difference at all.
The above two both have the same answer.

Does something exist because it exists in toto[? not sure if that is the right expression to describe what I mean] or because we construct a paradigm which brings it into existence?

In other words, what makes the words of Gautama more "real" than Allah?

In other words, what makes the words of Gautama more "real" than Allah?

Absolutely nothing.
That's not at all what I was saying.
What I said was that the belief in the existence if Allah is central and necessary for Islam.
The same can not be said about the Buddha.

You don't have to believe that Siddhartha ever existed to be a Buddhist, but you do have to believe that Allah existed to be a Muslim - Islam requires faith in Allah, Buddhism requires no such faith.

I am not saying that Islam is wrong or any other such thing.
I am just stating that Islam requires faith in unsubstantiable claims and Buddhism does not.

Thats not what I asked you.

Don't worry I am not in any danger of getting offended over a religious discussion.

Its usually the other way around.

Thats not what I asked you.

Apparently I saw an "'s" where there was none.
My apologies.

What makes his words more real than Allah?
That question makes no sense to me.
I have read many of the discourses in the Pali Canon – I have never met Allah, nor have I seen any evidence of his existence.

They are both, in a way, constructs of the human mind.

An interpretation of reality, if you like.

Are they not? Why does the one construct make more sense to you?

Only when they are equally untestable.

if you were to grant a provisional existence to either god or the buddha based on theoretical or experimental grounds, who would you choose?

we talk of probability, not certitude
walk me thru your reasoning and methodology

Are they not? Why does the one construct make more sense to you?
Are you saying that Allah exists because people have determined he exists?
If that's the case, then I completely agree.
In fact, I made the same argument for the existence of Jesus about a year ago:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=85618&highlight=historicity

If enough people believe in the historicity of Jesus then, pragmatically speaking, it is true, because there is no real difference in the outcome.
In that sense, I believe all Gods and demons exist.
However, there s a great chasm between pragmatic truth and metaphysical reality.

If you are strictly looking at the Quran in an alegorical sense and Allah as a pragmatic truth, that is something entirely different. In that case, then I agree 100% that the only difference between the Quran and the Pali Canon is a matter of personal value and reason of what the texts taught.
If, on the other hand, when you say you believe in Allah (and heaven and other such ideas contained within the Quran) in the sense that he is a metaphysical reality, then that brings us back to Islam requiring faith, as opposed to Buddhism and the whole point of the man's metaphor in the opening post.

I'm only referring to Allah in the allegorical sense inasmuch as you are referring to "truth" or "wisdom" or "scrutiny" in the allegorical sense

Does that make sense :bugeye:?

Okay let me think about it some more. I'm trying to describe/compare two mental constructs but I am unable to figure out how to compare the "truth" value by synthesising them into parallel frames of reference

i.e. if Truth=Allah, why does your metaphysical reality make more sense than mine?

SAM said:

That is not an Islamic belief that I have heard from any cleric of scholar, and directly contradicts the Quran on my desk.

SAM said:
How many clerics or scholars have you spoken to about it?

I recommend The Incoherence of the Philosophers and the The Incoherence of the Incoherence if you are interested
According to the description in the Wiki links there, both of those very ancient works directly contradict your claims above. So they join the rest, as I have read and heard, and the Quran on my desk.

I really don't think you can assert that Allah is in any way an interpretation of reality or other creation of the human mind, and remain a theist within Islam. You certainly can't present yourself as any kind of representative Muslim.

I can create any construct I want in a philosophical exercise. Thats what the whole argument in the two books is based on.

I may not even agree or disagree with the rational output of the exercise, but then faith is as subjective as justice. Or truth.

Last edited:
SAM said:
I can create any construct I want in a philosophical exercise. Thats what the whole argument in the two books is based on.
Of course you can. You just become something other than a theistic Muslim, if you put your faith in certain of them.

Of course you can. You just become something other than a theistic Muslim, if you put your faith in certain of them.

Not necessarily.This black and white thinking is limited to a certain kind of mental process or perhaps social conditioning.

Being Indian has its advantages.

Lateral thinking is a necessity. Perhaps its all the languages.

Although wasn't it Aristotle who said: It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty simple to understand and brilliant.

Christinas and Muslims have one point of view, believe in it fervently and are unwilling to accept alternatives to that point of view or question it. They accept what they are taught and told to accept.

Hindus, while they have many alternatives within their religion - many different paths they can follow - they still are bound by the confines of their religion. They can select which path to have faith in, but they are still following what they are taught and told to follow.

Buddhists have little to no faith and scrutinize everything. They are not told what to believe - just that they should question what they believe.
You know what, this makes sense. Probably the best replies I've read at Sciforms in years.

Intelligence and thoughtfulness, attributes lacking in most of my posts as of late.

Back