a question of respect.

perplexity said:
I surmise therefore that you feel a need to prove your own compassion but without expecting to change her.

Is it your belief that compassion requires a casuation seperate from its own nature?

Is it kind or cruel to remind of this?
Why do you think the action must be either kind or cruel?

If other people lack the power to control the effect that their actions and words will have on the other person, it is hardly then reasonable to assert that somebody "made my life a living hell", is it?

Do you believe the human nature is solely one of reason?

SnakeLord said:
Well, obviously they are - by the very fact that people have questioned them.

Semantics. Is the speed of light being equal to c questionable simply because people question how it could be so?

I think to really get down to it, we have to go right back to the beginning, to when nothing existed other than this supposed god being. It would seem we can be of two minds: either this god is a raving nincompoop or everything that was done was done for a reason.

We can assume that god got done over by a talking snake, or that he planned for mankind to fall - for the snake to get the better of him, (temporarily), to ensure his master plan, (self sacrifice), came to fruition.

When you press most religious folk on the issue, they generally accept the latter - obviously being unable to consider their god as a halfwit.

Either one or the other? Are there no other possibilities?

Semantics. Is the speed of light being equal to c questionable simply because people question how it could be so?

It's not semantics at all. Don't for one second think you can make the comparison that you have. For millennia people have, and still do, question the bible - and while you might think it's all as you consider it, I can assure you millions upon millions of other people do not - the thousands, if not tens of thousands, of different christian sects is proof of that.

Either one or the other? Are there no other possibilities?

Certainly.. Why, I even left out the only realistic angle - (there's no such thing as gods, nor was there a garden, a talking snake, or a demi god born from a virgin). However, in the context of discussion, (mainly with Jenyar), I feel that those two are sufficient: god either did make a plan or didn't.

Raphael said:
Is it your belief that compassion requires a casuation seperate from its own nature?

I'd thought that the very nature of compassion is to be caused, derived from respect.

Raphael said:
Why do you think the action must be either kind or cruel?

Because of the context, the talk of harm and defense, Hell and the Devil.
Because of water's disapproval of magnanimity, her ill tempered intolerance, her failure to appreciate small mercies that others would be glad for.

Raphael said:
Do you believe the human nature is solely one of reason?

That was the rather the impression I had of this:

Raphael said:
A person cannot change another person. One should try to change the only person they can change, themselves. One should try to understand one's own beliefs and live those beliefs. By doing so, one will find themselves in an position which cannot be attacked successfully.

It appears to assume a World deviod of a belief in the efficacy of affection and compassion, changes induced by qualities beyond belief.

I was rather disposed to credit water with a sincere atttempt to understand her own beliefs.

Do you think she had never tried to?

Religious belief is a personality issue.

-- Ron.

SnakeLord said:
...god either did make a plan or didn't.
Suppose there was a universe. Perhaps this universe existed in spacial dimensions we literally cannot concieve of. Maybe beings in this universe reached such a stage as to make our understanding of our own universe seem like that of bacteria.

Imagine these beings "toying" with the creation of various tailored spacetimes with different properties, just to see what the different outcomes might be. To verify their theoretical predictions so to speak. Also suppose that, from time to time, these beings intervened in the workings of their experiment in order to tweak a parameter or two when something interesting happened (like the development of "intelligent" bits of matter).

I suppose these beings would be the equivalent of gods, with no plan that we would recognize, but certainly not halfwits. Of course, this is just as likely as the FSM. Fun to think about though.

Sorry for the interruption.

SnakeLord said:
It's not semantics at all. Don't for one second think you can make the comparison that you have. For millennia people have, and still do, question the bible - and while you might think it's all as you consider it, I can assure you millions upon millions of other people do not - the thousands, if not tens of thousands, of different christian sects is proof of that.

If the many sects are proof that the verses you mentioned are questionable, then in which sects were those verses the cause of division?

Certainly.. Why, I even left out the only realistic angle - (there's no such thing as gods, nor was there a garden, a talking snake, or a demi god born from a virgin). However, in the context of discussion, (mainly with Jenyar), I feel that those two are sufficient: god either did make a plan or didn't.

Is the scenario in which "God did make a plan" limitted to example you gave?

perplexity said:
I'd thought that the very nature of compassion is to be caused, derived from respect.

I would have thought that the nature of respect is to be derived from compassion.

Because of the context, the talk of harm and defense, Hell and the Devil.
Because of water's disapproval of magnanimity, her ill tempered intolerance, her failure to appreciate small mercies that others would be glad for.

So then context and others limits the possibility of classification of an action?

It appears to assume a World deviod of a belief in the efficacy of affection and compassion, changes induced by qualities beyond belief.

They were statements devoid of any belief except that man, to some extent, is rational. They were intended to fit any set of beliefs, even a set of beliefs in which compassion and affection are seen as a weakness.

I was rather disposed to credit water with a sincere atttempt to understand her own beliefs.

Do you think she had never tried to?

Religious belief is a personality issue.

Simply understanding one's own beliefs is but a single step.

Raphael said:
I would have thought that the nature of respect is to be derived from compassion.

Never derived because of fear or jealousy?

What is going on when somebody says "I will teach you some respect"?

Raphael said:
So then context and others limits the possibility of classification of an action?

Do fools classify as fools see fit, or could anyone wield the sword of truth?

To me it is tautology, that a context limits, but perhaps I miss your point.

Raphael said:
They were statements devoid of any belief except that man, to some extent, is rational. They were intended to fit any set of beliefs, even a set of beliefs in which compassion and affection are seen as a weakness.

But your original proposition seemed to suggest that it is possible to act upon a belief but with no awareness of the belief, and I fail then to see why that not would not apply to any statement.

It comes down to what you know, the diagnosis.

Raphael said:
Simply understanding one's own beliefs is but a single step.

Did you think that water never tried to understand her own beliefs?

You seem to dodge that in order to dodge the point: When you offer particular advice to somebody it seems to imply that the advice is both pertinent and not already sufficiently considered, and this tends to cause offence. Some people are especially sensitive to unsolicited advice, already sick to death of it.

That is where the respect comes into it.

Do you know what she wants and does it matter?

--- Ron.

Catholicism equates to brainwashing. I was decidely unlucky to be sent to a Catholic school, having been "baptised" into that religion without my permission! There was no teaching as such, it was all doom and gloom and brainwashing little ones with the threat of hellfire and damnation. The bible was FACT, the Catechism was FACT; there would be NO discussion, nothing. These same people who endeavoured to brainwash me also used the cane as a means to an end, oh yes, I was a recipient on a few occasions.

SnakeLord said:
Certainly, (I can assure you this is not the first time or place such debate has been made), although it seems you wouldn't accept an argument on the matter with anyone that doesn't promote jesus in a favourable light.. Of course I couldn't really expect a christian to do that, (and you definitely wouldn't do it), but then your arguments lose their validity because of the obvious bias.
Let's just revisit the extent of this debate. Let me know if I've missed something. At the moment your argument seems to be based on an English application of the word "hate", as it apears in Luke 14:26 (although such an application is obviously contrary to the parallel passage of Matt. 10:37 and similar usage in the Bible). When the contextual evidence makes your application seem unlikely, your explanation is that "even Jesus has his off days". If an "obvious bias" alone settles any argument, then yours comes off no better than mine.

Another aspect of your argument is the issue of division, which I think you've realized by now I don't deny. The division Jesus would bring fused all division before or since together into a overriding moral division (Hebrews 4:12, cf. Rev. 1:16) - and therefore one that could cut even the bonds of family and friends. As I explained, Jesus would polarize those who would turn against sin at his request, and those who would turn against him because he dares request. You came to the logical conclusion: people who aren't sick don't need a doctor - something Jesus himself affirmed (Mark 2:17). But to those who recognize his diagnosis, he is usually a welcome saviour. All of this fits what was known even before Jesus had said anything:
Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too." (Luke 2:34-35)​

Under the circumstance, I would say that majority rules - not to mention that "cozy" doesn't seem very biblical.
One translation? You clearly do not read my posts. I rest my case.
A distinction must be made here, so I should have made myself a little clearer. You may consult many translations of the Bible, but your argument depends on one translation of Luke 14:26 that all of them share: the non-idiomatic translation. You're therefore appealing to a false "majority", since it's actually a repetition of the same "literal" translation. When translators (and even other authors in the Bible itself) render the accurate meaning into English, to reject that translation you would have to question their motives or their expertise. That's the conspiracy theory I hope you'll avoid.

On the one hand, you have a translation (echoed in all the literal "translations" of the Bible) of the single word "hate"; on the other, you have the idiomatic translation (echoed in other passages, paraphrases, commentaries and contextual readings), which renders the meaning as "love less". And even then it's not without qualification.

I'm not having problems, it's just you'd rather burn in hell than even consider jesus in a negative light - utterly regardless to what the text says.
I personally think what the text says should be decided first, before we jump to conclusions about its "negative light" - although I have no illusions that Jesus can and will be seen in a negative light no matter how we interpret it. His existence and his message by itself is usually offensive enough for those with enough at stake to be offended, like Paul said: to some he has the fragrance of life, to others he has the smell of death (2 Cor. 2:16).

Is that the way to answer my question? Try again.
You completely missed the point, and didn't answer the question - but asked me three more pointless ones.
Your premise decides what conclusions you may logically draw. You're trying to keep the advantages of one premise (that Jesus was a mere man) and find fault with the conclusions of another premise (that Jesus was divine). That only makes for a contorted argument. If you want to say Jesus was confused, then say so, but a confused man can't be blamed for not being divine enough (i.e. not miraculously bringing peace in the world). If you take up the Bible's premise that Jesus was Lord, then you must necessarily examine his words and actions in that (unique) context.

Sure, we can have a debate about the "good" aspects of his teachings if you want. This was focused on the more questionable statements, (even jesus has his off days). Go ahead, start up a 'good teachings' post.
I asked something you didn't answer below: "If preaching something will bring fierce opposition, how does saying so make opposition the object of preaching? Shouldn't you actually take the subject into account?"

In other words, if Jesus' teaching required a clear separation between good and evil in order to promote good, why play the part of a hypocrite who makes that distinction (between what's good and what's bad) himself, while condemning the action (of separating the two) as promoting the opposite of good? Doesn't that hurt your case in the worst possible way?

You make the distinction between the "good" and the "bad" Jesus, a distinction you manage despite him putting the same moral division he taught into practical effect, dying for a universal good at the hands of a universal evil. For him it was a spiritual distinction, something between man and God, not a political one - and he asserted it spiritually, not politically. His focus on moral obedience (at the cost of any other priority) leading to an inner, practical peace - was unacceptable and impractical to those who expected the messiah to bring a physical revolution (which would lead to an artificial, "enforced" peace) - yet that is the goal you accuse him of, perhaps even of worse.

It was a reason for coming, yes. He says so himself.

Thom 16 is interesting:

16 Jesus said, "Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. 2They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war. 3 For there will be five in a house: there'll be three against two and two against three, father against son and son against father, 4and they will stand alone."
John 18:37
"You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."​
This rather seems to support my interpretation that the division was the result of his coming, not the goal.

"Do not think that I have come to bring hell. I have not come to bring hell, but forgiveness. You're all forgiven, god bless, take care, and don't worry about circumcision, it's nonsense".

Did he say that? Or did he say he had come to bring the sword - fire and war?
Interesting you should say that, because Jesus did say:
John 12:47 "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it.​
The "fire, sword and war" in Thomas has clear apocalyptic undertones (especially if it's also the fulfilment of a prophecy, as Matthew suggests). The end time events Jesus spoke of in Luke 21 would precede his kingdom on earth, coming over everyone like Noah's flood. The implication is that it is the reality that will also become our judgement if we don't take God up on his offer of salvation. All these elements are present in the vision of Jesus making war against Satan (Rev. 19:11-19).

Quick question: While I'm busy imagining, am I also in the position to imagine I'm god?
Certainly not. Being god I'd think of something a little bit better.
Since you've obviously imagined something better, whether you're God or not, would you care to share it? It surely involves not making your plans known, because that's bound to divide people, except that's another common critique against God - us not knowing his plans.

That is a question that will undoubtedly lead to a very lengthy response. I shall collaborate the data and get back to you.

Of course it's like any biblical debate - those who think jesus was not god point at hebrews and other various passages, those who do ignore those passages. Debating against concrete bias is difficult.
That's strange, since Hebrews 1:3 is one of the clearest indications we have of Jesus' divinity. The real challenge, as far as I'm concerned, is to consider all passages together, and with the intended meaning of their authors to reproduce a holistic model of what they believed and were reporting. They can't make our minds up for us one way or the other.

Before we continue, let's just establish right here that I don't need saving. Keep that sentence for you and yours.
If it doesn't apply to you, great. If I said "this is yours", you would only have to reply with "no, it's not" to settle the matter. But I do reserve the right to make my particular claims, just like you reserve the right to make yours.

But that persecution would have been ensured by god - otherwise there couldn't have been a sacrifice of jesus to forgive you for your sins, and as such it cannot be argued that the 'plan' was not to bring peace - but a sword. He had to be killed for any of you to be able to walk around saying "weee, I'm forgiven!" which means he had to have planned, since time long passed, to bring a sword, not peace. Nice of him of course to verbally mention it eventually, but without him bringing the sword instead of peace, none of you would be forgiven for your sins.

Indeed you mentioned it just before: "the sword was the means to your salvation". In saying that, you cannot argue when I say jesus came to bring a sword and not peace. Indeed you are arguing my case for me. Without bringing that sword, without forcing that descension, nobody would be 'saved'. End of.
This is by far the most logical argument you've made so far. And indeed, "He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake" (1 Pet. 1:20) and "was slain from the creation of the world" (Rev. 13:8). But that's not all: "from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth" (2 Thess. 2:13). That means that the mechanism was in place since day one, as God intended. But as sin became greater and greater, the amount that needed to be done to maintain that relationship also became greater, until man was beyond any ability to save himself, and God's natural love had to take a drastic form: His sacrifice. Where we didn't need salvation or sacrifice before sin, we needed it now. The same love God had for us before we sinned is what was expressed through Christ - since it was already made in principle - and the same commitment that God required before the fall is required after the fall.

Faith in God would have indicated the normal state of things before the fall (peace with God and each other), and for the same reason it must bind us to God and each other after the fall - but where before it wouldn't have caused a fly to blink, now such faith alienates faithful followers from anything or anyone who are still hostile to God... especially if it means the difference between depending on God or on Caesar for spiritual, political and personal wealth or security, as it did for Jesus' followers. Someties the division simply means not understanding each other, other times it means active persecution and even death, but either way, the Christian's role is spelled out clearly: to live in peace and be peacemakers.

That force = the same being that brought that injustice in the first place to ensure he could then come down and get temporarily whacked in order to forgive you for doing that which has always been in your nature to do, (be imperfect).
There's nothing wrong with being imperfect by human standards, and God measures perfection by relationships. Man became imperfect when he rebelled, and Jesus came to restore our perfection (or to "perfect us" - often through our weaknesses).

You cannot really argue that - the "suffering" we would assume will not occur in heaven, and nor will the injustice - and there is no justifiable reason for the need for this planet or injustice and suffering upon it. The only answer you can give is that god/jesus planned for it to be that way - in which case yes, all that injustice and suffering is because they brought the sword and not peace.
You jump between different perspectives here - our perspective, God's perspective, and Jesus' perspective, while he was on earth with us. They're not all on the same level or timeframe. If the sword Jesus came to bring was already there, what did he bring? So that must fit within the greater perspective of the suffering that resulted from sin, which Jesus came to remedy - like a doctor performing painful operation on someone already in pain. The side-effect is that what was for the most part meaningless suffering and injustice suddenly became meaningful (even if it didn't become any easier to bear). Where we were once the victims of generations of sin before us, suffering the consequences of our forefathers' actions and often just perpetuating it, it can now come to mean discipline, salvation and even redemption for someone who identifies with Christ. For people who don't believe in God, it can be a good representation of hell - life without hope, and meaningless suffering punctuated by death - (at least, for those who believe in hell but not in God). For everybody else, it must simply be what it is - it cannot be unjust or unfair or cruel, because "it" doesn't have a will. "It" could be the force of evolution, cause and effect, karma, or perhaps even some cruel god, but whatever "it" is, it's the flood that Christ conquered in order to be our Noah's ark.

The 'cost' of which is set by god to achieve a final end that god set. god is the shopkeeper.
As I explained, the further the distance from God, the greater the cost of restoring the relationship became. In the end, God paid the price himself, so that we could continue to live by faith in Him. If that faith has a cost, it's because we still have something invested in the world, and the cost is the sacrifice it takes to let it go. We don't owe it to God, but to ourselves.

Ah, there's that "peace" jesus didn't come to bring - but to set aside until the end of a pointless excercise.
On the contrary - that peace is available right now. It may alienate us from the world, but isn't that perhaps why it's able to bring peace?

Not at all, I just prove that the 'plan' works well.
Then you're making a circular argument. "I don't respect your faith because Jesus brought division and it's because Jesus brought division that I don't respect your faith." Is that it?

While you clearly still have that 'luxury' but simply choose not to.
While I enjoy the relationships I'm able to have with friends and family because of the Christian legacy - and can find no other reason for having been blessed with them - I make no claims of having attained it myself. It's more like I've discovered a great treasure in a field, and rather than stealing it, I'm working to take possession of what I already found by investing everything I have to buy the field. The goal is close by, but the toil and effort to reach it is no less than working for someone or something else.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
While I enjoy the relationships I'm able to have with friends and family because of the Christian legacy - and can find no other reason for having been blessed with them - I make no claims of having attained it myself.

First and foremost, I cannot understand why so called christians cannot make a point without refering to quotes from such a dubious, oft amended, book like the bible.

You tell us that you enjoy relationships THANKs to your Christian legacy. Sorry, Christianity is an excuse, not a reason. Surely your capable of making decisions not based on some passage in your bible? If not, then your life is shallow. I have many friends, more than I can count, all over the planet, some close, some just friends and not one of them was led to me, or vice versa, by Jesus or anyone else divine like.

You go to church whenever, make your sincerity platitudes, tell everyone how much in gods grace you are and then go home and moan about the noisy neighbours, swear when you bang your knee on that damned coffee table and possibly support a leader who sends your youth to war, to die.

Suppose there was a universe. Perhaps this universe existed in spacial dimensions we literally cannot concieve of. Maybe beings in this universe reached such a stage as to make our understanding of our own universe seem like that of bacteria.

Suppose there was an invisible pink unicorn...

I guess it's my dislike for "suppose", (although admittedly I'm sure I have used it on occasion), that causes me the problems with religious people. While Jan might very well think he is speaking for the mass majority of 'his kind', it is one of a gazillion of different "suppose's" that I have been given - and indeed mine is just another one - yet in this instance we actually have a written "suppose" to work with. To a christian such as Jan, god is either unaware and in a position where others can, and do, better him, or he has a master plan that must be fulfilled exactly as planned in order for it to have been omnisciently planned, and for the goal to come to fruition. Every sentence from jesus, every law, event and action must have been the exact way for things to happen else that plan wouldn't have been an omniscient plan. Man had to fail, had to get drowned etc etc in order for there ever to have been a jesus to die for your, (not you specifically), forgiveness.

But I also personally accept a man at his word. If a man says he is here to kick the ever living shit out of my mother, I don't assume he's just saying that some people might not like my mother - indeed it is a threat from this specific man against my mother.

"I have not come to bring peace but a sword" is a specific statement - not implying that some people might not like jesus, but that his purpose was to cause the descension among mankind that has ensued.

Is that a "suppose"? I suppose so, but then it is all we have.

I suppose these beings would be the equivalent of gods, with no plan that we would recognize, but certainly not halfwits. Of course, this is just as likely as the FSM. Fun to think about though.

But therein lies the daftness of it all. You and I could sit here and conjure up a gazillion and one different ideas and beliefs and "suppose's" and yet for what? Thing of it is, those "suppose's" make billions. Those "suppose's" rule lives, are shoved upon your kids. Hell, even Hubbard - a guy busy with his lovely work of fiction can start one of these "suppose's" that actually gains a few million ardent supporters.

It's a "suppose" free for all. Who gives a shit what's real and what ain't, it all comes down to how good your agent is. And while Jan will laugh and agree; "Hubbard, lol.. what a twat - and his followers, lol.. what twats", he doesn't realise he and they are one and the same. His only 'saving grace' is that his beliefs agent is a hell of a lot older - and thus knew less, but sold better. Even Hitler sold a few tickets - and that's where it becomes scary.

Someone here provided a link to the Dawkins programme - and there's an interesting part in it where he questions some priesty bloke about visitors to that place where the water "supposedly" heals people. The guy says 80,000 people visit per year, and in 150 years of doing so there are 60 recorded 'miracles'.

The priesty bloke doesn't even notice the utter idiocy in that mathematics - and still, drones upon drones of twerps go there trying to undo the bad that has befallen them - which is all, ("supposedly"), because of god's will anyway.

The problem is that the "suppose" is permanently backed up. If shit hits the fan it's "gods plan" or "god works in mysterious ways". The day one person finally survives his cancer it's an act of god's mercy, or proof that "supposed" god exists.

It's lunacy. As a doctor, I see this kind of lunacy frequently. Fortunately it doesn't usually survive long in the open - is caught, diagnosed, treated, (as much as we can), and contained. What we have now is a couple of billion lunatics out in the open. If people would recognise that, the medical establishment wouldn't have to create a billion different mental conditions every 5 minutes. "Hey, you get depressed during winter?" We give it a name, we diagnose it, we, (often), prescribe sale.

Although perhaps not the thing I should say, who cares who gets a little upset in winter? It's the religious that scare me - what with all that "supposing".

-----------

If the many sects are proof that the verses you mentioned are questionable, then in which sects were those verses the cause of division?

You want me to go through that many thousand? And indeed that many billion personal understandings?

All it ever takes is a sentence - as you should be aware. From trinity to golden teeth. One sentence seems to be enough for you folk, and yet from me, (with more than one sentence), it's unacceptable.

Is the scenario in which "God did make a plan" limitted to example you gave?

Hell no. If I wanted to have a debate with myself I'd just do it in notepad, so why don't you give me it straight?

-------------

Let's just revisit the extent of this debate. Let me know if I've missed something. At the moment your argument seems to be based on an English application of the word "hate"

Incorrect. My application seems to be on an educated and majority understanding of the translation of an ancient text into English. Some guy on the internet telling me "hate" doesn't mean "hate" - as decided by the majority of qualified translators, doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.

C'mon Jan, you've done one sentence and got it wrong...

as it apears in Luke 14:26 (although such an application is obviously contrary to the parallel passage of Matt. 10:37 and similar usage in the Bible)

Much like not working Sabbath and "it's ok" are obviously contradictory. Such is the bible - and that cannot be helped given the amount of writers and time frame.

When the contextual evidence makes your application seem unlikely, your explanation is that "even Jesus has his off days". If an "obvious bias" alone settles any argument, then yours comes off no better than mine.

Inaccurate. With regards to the bible and jesus, you are simply incapable of looking at any other angle. I have and will welcome discussion about the good teachings, about jesus' 'good' teachings. You are utterly incapable of doing the opposite in return.

Do you disagree?

Another aspect of your argument is the issue of division, which I think you've realized by now I don't deny.

But do you agree that this 'division' is "well, some people wont accept jesus", or that jesus came to make it so?

You came to the logical conclusion: people who aren't sick don't need a doctor - something Jesus himself affirmed (Mark 2:17).

Sorry, hate to intrude - but was I supposed to be impressed by someone saying people who aren't sick don't need a doctor? Oh you and jesus are such info givers. Lol.

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick".

Way to go jesus!

Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too." (Luke 2:34-35)

At this point it is worth noticing that I haven't in any way declined his intelligence or indeed godliness, (which is rare from an atheist). The issue does not lie here, but with his purpose, his function, what he came to do. Judging by his own words, he came to bring the sword, not peace.

A distinction must be made here, so I should have made myself a little clearer. You may consult many translations of the Bible, but your argument depends on one translation of Luke 14:26 that all of them share: the non-idiomatic translation. You're therefore appealing to a false "majority", since it's actually a repetition of the same "literal" translation.

But all you're doing here is asking me, or indeed telling me, to accept your 'version' of that translation - that clearly seems to be harder than it looks - given that the majority, according to you, have royally fucked it up. While I would bow down to you Jen, I would ask right now that you back it up. I would love for you to go head to head with all these translators and tell them they're wrong. From my position, where do I get my unchangeable absolute word of god from? Clearly not the same version you do.

So, a few months ago I came up with an idea. Everyone seems to have a problem with the bible. Everyone has one - nobody has ever read it - and if they have, it's undoubted that their understanding conflicts with a few million other people. I decided the only fair thing to do was to write a modern man's bible. A bible that everyone could read and understand. The only problem is.. Who's understanding should I work from? Clearly not the dozen or so bibles I currently own - because Jen says so. Admittedly therefore, I have become a little stuck - but have worked briefly on a first part - written in modern day lingo, for modern day man. Tell me what you think, (it is long for 3 pages of a book).

So there was this entity called God. This being had existed forever, happy with an eternal life by itself out in the middle of a literal nowhere, a literal nothingness. It roamed around all day in the middle of nothing, doing nothing, saying nothing, and knowing all there is to know about nothing. I guess however that even an eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent entity gets bored eventually, and so some time halfway through this eternal existence, (not that there can be a ‘half’ because it’s eternal), this specific entity got a bit bored, a bit lonesome. It longed for something to do, something to be all powerful, all knowing and all present over. What would be the point of being all knowing if there was nothing to know? What would be the point in being all powerful if there was nothing to be powerful over? I might as well explain right now that this entity was and is a man. He has testicles just like the rest of us, and yet nobody to fondle them. If I were in his position I would undoubtedly utilize my powers and knowledge to create the only known female in existence that does not complain, and one ‘godly’ enough to be able to fondle my balls all day. However, this God being came up with a different plan, an astounding plan, a plan that only a god could come up with. He came up with what we refer to as ‘something’.
‘Something’ is the result of messing with nothingness to such a degree whereby there is no longer nothing, but something. After an eternity of nothingness I must confess that somethingness would sound rather appealing, and can only admire the sheer intelligence of a being that can even think of undertaking such a worthy and difficult endeavour. But this is exactly what this eternal being decided to do.
The first thing he would need of course was light. Yes, even omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, eternal beings need to be able to see what they’re doing. And so with the wave of an all powerful finger, God created light. He did this by making several billion big balls of fire, and placing them at random locations that would make up interesting patterns when looked at by the living beings he was going to create shortly. Of course all but one of these big balls of fire would be utterly useless in the grand scheme of things, but if you’re going to make something you might as well make it cover enough space as to fill up all available nothingness.
He then decided to make planets, (big round things made of rock and stuff). He experimented for a while with different looks. He tried big planets and small planets, planets that turn anti-clockwise and planets that turn clockwise, red planets, green planets and planets with rings. The latter eventually got turned down because the ring impeded the view of the multitude of star patterns one could see in the night sky. He eventually settled on a small planet and said, “Let the waters under heaven come together in a single mass, and let dry land appear”. He was so literally excited by his undertakings that he didn’t realise he was talking to himself. A sure sign of madness if ever there was one, but then what can you expect from a being that has lived all by itself in the middle of nothingness for eternity?
From there he created all kinds of weird and wonderful plant life. From oak trees, stinging nettles and the Venus fly trap, to the much loved marijuana plant. God saw that it was good and moved onto the next part of the project. God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of heaven to divide day from night”. Ok, it was an error on his part, he’d already created light and dark but had got so caught up in the excitement of creation that he’d forgotten all about it. It’s similar to when you turn the lights on but forget you’ve done it so try turning them on again. Happens all the time. Once he had created lights for the second time, God moved on to creating rudimentary life forms. “Let the waters be alive with a swarm of living creatures, and let birds wing their way above the earth across the vault of heaven”, he said to himself in ancient Hebrew. And so it was, without further ado the planet became full of all kinds of strange swimming and flying things. Blood sucking vampire bats swooped through the evening sky while thirty foot long great white sharks chomped down on any poor and innocent fish that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. A glorious state of affairs. The only problem was that these creatures didn’t actually do much. They kind of just went about the place chewing on smaller creatures, which is hardly of interest to an omnipotent, eternal being. God then decided to make creatures that would fill the land as well as the sky and water. He created all kinds of creatures, from lions and elephants, to tyrannosaurs and those amusing South American catfish that swim up the end of your penis. In fact, the only thing he didn’t create was dogs. We’re responsible for that. The earth was now abundant with all kinds of life and yet his project was not complete, the most vital component was still missing. Humans! Beings that would actually realise that he existed, would exterminate each other over the details of his existence for all of time, and would bow down whenever he so beckoned through fear of annihilation from a well targeted lightning bolt. How could any omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, eternal being do without them? He pondered for a while on what these beings should look like, and finally came to the conclusion that they should look just like him: testicles, nostril hair and all. He would even supply them with nipples for no good reason. And so he said, “Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves”. Why he was talking to himself in plurals is anyone’s guess, but then multiple personality disorder had to come from somewhere, and undoubtedly it would come from the creator of everything. Once he had formulated his plan, God got hold of some soil from the earth and created a being in his own image. He then breathed into the models nose and it came to life. The creations name was Adam, and the very first thing he said was, “what the fuck?”
God’s project was complete. A universe, a world, animals and humans. Absolute perfection. You might be thinking right about now that this event took no more than a trillionth of a nanosecond. After all, it’s hardly work for an omnipotent, eternal entity. Alas you would be wrong. The whole affair took six thousand years, and was so energy consuming that the very first thing God did upon completion was have a snooze, and we’re not just talking any old snooze, but a snooze that lasted for one thousand years. Meanwhile on earth all the created animals wandered around trying to figure out what it was they were supposed to be doing. It was almost a tragedy, especially for the millions of pubic lice that could find no pubes to inhabit.

God made a garden somewhere in Southern Iraq for Adam to look after and cultivate. It was a lush, fertile garden in between several flowing rivers. Butterflies flitted around from plant to plant, while velociraptor plodded along feeding on daisies and dandelions. In the middle of the garden, God placed a tree of life and a tree of knowledge of good and evil. However, he forbade Adam from eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil under threat of death. Adam of course didn’t know what ‘death’ meant and with no understanding of good or evil, there was no reason he’d honestly give a shit anyway. God then brought all the animals to Adam one by one so that they could be named.
“I hereby name this animal a bladder worm”, Adam pronounced happily before stopping to wonder what a bladder was and why this animal would want to be there.
After several eons of naming the millions of God’s creations, Adam realised none of them were suitable as helpers in the garden. Not to mention he had serious problems fitting his penis into any of them, other than the occasional wandering donkey or sheep, and so God put Adam into a deep sleep and then performed surgery on him. God took Adam’s rib and shaped it into a peculiar creature. The creature was taken to Adam who decided it should be named ‘woman’, because it had come from man.
The Garden of Eden was also home to the only talking snake in the entire universe, and for some bizarre reason it had decided to sit right in front of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. For years this snake had tried to get a conversation going, but alas, could find no other animal with the same ability it had. Then one fine sunny day Eve came strolling along, young and innocent..........

If you would like to continue, please ask. Obviously I have really had to work to an absolute finish for each chapter considering the sheer length of the bible, but with some time and patience I shall have finally done what nobody else could - written a bible for modern man. A bible where Snake and Jen won't sit down and argue what it does or does not say, oh what joy. Of course my only problem is: do I work from your bible or mine?

When translators (and even other authors in the Bible itself) render the accurate meaning into English, to reject that translation you would have to question their motives or their expertise. The "great conspiracy" I spoke of.

Indeed.. Great conspiracy that they (pretty much), all used "hate" when they actually meant "cozy". Fuck off. <-- btw, that actually means hello. Still, please continue and question their motives and expertise. Sorry, what were you saying?

although I have no illusions that Jesus can and will be seen in a negative light no matter how we interpret it.

Essential question to proceed: Can you ever consider jesus in a negative light?

You're trying to keep the advantages of one premise (that Jesus was a mere man) and find fault with the conclusions of another premise (that Jesus was divine).

I didn't say he was a "mere man". I am here giving you the benefit of the doubt. The debate is over his statements, (as a god or demi god). Try to keep up.

If you take up the Bible's premise that Jesus was Lord, then you must necessarily examine his words and actions in that (unique) context.

Certainly. That would also include everything in the OT. Lord is Lord.

I asked something you didn't answer below: "If preaching something will bring fierce opposition, how does saying so make opposition the object of preaching? Shouldn't you actually take the subject into account?"

Certainly, but given that I still await an answer to a question I asked you two posts ago, your hypocricy wont work.

Ok, perhaps it will.

"If preaching something will bring fierce opposition"..

Preaching something, anything, will always bring opposition. Shit, we couldn't even go a week without some people protesting about petrol charge rises no matter how much the government preached it as being good. Didn't bother me in the slightest - I don't drive.

However - given the circumstance.. If Tony Blair said: "I have come to kill Iraqi's", can you really have issue with the "fierce" opposition he's going to get - whether you like Iraqi's or not?

Let us perhaps agree that "peace" is the ultimate end. It's what heaven is, it's what your entire life has led to. No war, no arguments, no descension in heaven. You could have that right now - but the man in charge, the big cheese says he isn't going to give you that, but the opposite.

"I'll pay you a million one day.. but not today".

"Btw, donate to thy neighbour".

It's bollocks.

In other words, if Jesus' separated good and evil in order to promote good, why play the part of a hypocrite who makes that distinction himself in order to condemn the action as promoting the opposite of good? Doesn't that hurt your case in the worst possible way?

Not sure I follow you right now, but if we need to get into hypocricy or contradiction we need only look at pretty much any passage in the bible: "why call me good, only the father is good", "I and the father are one" etc etc and so on. This is what happens when you have texts written by multiple people over generations.

You make the distinction between the "good" and the "bad" Jesus, a distinction you manage despite him putting the same moral division he taught into practical effect, dying for a universal good at the hands of a universal evil. For him it was a spiritual distinction, something between man and God, not a political one

No. I have already argued that 'plan' is plan. Good and bad become meaningless no? Why, we overlook the death of every single man, woman, animal and plant on the planet because it was all part of the master scheme - why would this be any different? We accept the worldly slaughter on the basis that it has brought us jesus. We accept our own sins, our own failings in the light of jesus - in the NT fact that jesus' entire purpose is to forgive us for those failings, for those sins. And yet, for some bizarre reason, the minute there's a little bit of a 'human shudder' in the morals and decisions applied by god, you have to argue it - much like I'm sure you would have argued back in the day when every single being on the planet was sucking salt water.

John 18:37
"You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
This rather seems to support my interpretation that the division was the result of his coming, not the goal.

Actually, what that statement supports is that when jesus says he came not to bring peace but a sword, that he was telling the truth. Way to go.

Since you've obviously imagined something better, whether you're God or not, would you care to share it? It surely involves not making your plans known, because that's bound to divide people, except that's another common critique against God - us not knowing his plans.

Woe to the bible. All plans laid out for man to follow. The world will end, "stars" will fall on the planet and poison the water, a flying dragon with a hooker for company will wage war with now non-existant babylonians and well.. that will be that. In it's aftermath, a new jerusalem, (of all places - shithole that it is), will come out of the sky and settle on a new earth in a new universe and we'll all be happy in a city of gold, except for dogs and fortune tellers that have to live outside - a big "haha" on them.

Maybe you haven't read the bible lately, but the "plan" is right there.

Of course it's like any biblical debate - those who think jesus was not god point at hebrews and other various passages

Why do they point at Hebrews?

those who do ignore those passages

Why do they "ignore" those passages? Does the bible say that those passages are more ignorable?

They can't make our minds up for us one way or the other.

Apologies, but clearly your 'version' of the bible has. If it didn't, you'd be agnostic at the very least.

But I do reserve the right to make my particular claims, just like you reserve the right to make yours.

Fair enough, but if you don't accept that Allah almighty is your one true god, then you're going to burn for the rest of eternity.

Oh how sweet is that ignorant preaching you fools feel is all essential?

This is by far the most logical argument you've made so far. And indeed, "He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake" (1 Pet. 1:20) and "was slain from the creation of the world" (Rev. 13:8). But that's not all: "from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth" (2 Thess. 2:13). That means that the mechanism was in place since day one, as God intended.

You argue my case. Thank you.

But as sin became greater and greater

Eh? That sin becoming "greater and greater" was only as "god intended".

You've proved my case. Nothing more.

There's nothing wrong with being imperfect by human standards, and God measures perfection by relationships. Man became imperfect when he rebelled, and Jesus came to restore our perfection (or to "perfect us" - often through our weaknesses)

This was planned since the beginning right? (you can't deny that given your last statement)

You jump between different perspectives here - our perspective, God's perspective, and Jesus' perspective, while he was on earth with us. They're not all on the same level or timeframe.

I don't, but ok - the only perspective that counts is gods... Man fights other man and needs jesus to save him. Thus, bringing the sword instead of peace is an absolute - because that sword is needed for there to be a jesus to ever bring peace.

If the sword Jesus came to bring was already there, what did he bring?

It wasn't "already there". It was there since god created it so - god being jesus "supposedly". You don't understand the bible in "overall context". Your god brought that descension in order for man to need saving by jesus, which means mankind can ever be saved from something they had no choice in because god needed them to be as they are in order to save them.

So that must fit within the greater perspective of the suffering that resulted from sin, which Jesus came to remedy

Inaccurate. jesus didn't come to remedy anything, but to accept that sin is there - all around. Even you will agree that regardless to how religious and jesus a lover you are, you cannot avoid sin. It is - therefore - unavoidable. You will sin regardless to jesus existence or non-existence. All jesus was there for was to say he forgives you for sinning - in which case that sin has to exist for him to even come here in the first place.

My earlier question one more time: (please be honest):

Would you rather there be no sin, but no jesus.. Or sin, and jesus?

God paid the price himself, so that we could continue to live by faith in Him. If that faith has a cost, it's because we still have something invested in the world, and the cost is the sacrifice it takes to let it go. We don't owe it to God, but to ourselves.

But you do owe it to god... You still sin all the while being forgiven for it by that god - that funnily enough created you in such fashion where you would find it utterly impossible not to sin. If all sin were regarded as equal then you're undoubtedly no better than the local rapist - the only difference being that you're forgiven for being a shithead, whereas the local rapist isn't... until he decides jesus is boss and then he is. You're scum Jenyar, and not because you ever sat down and decided you wanted to be scum, but because if you weren't scum there would be no god to save you from it - and as a result, you would not be religious, you would not be christian - and undoubtedly you would be even less moral than you are now.

On the contrary - that peace is available right now.

No it isn't. That is the very purpose of heaven.

Then you're making a circular argument. "I don't respect your faith because Jesus brought division and it's because Jesus brought division that I don't respect your faith." Is that it?

No, not really. However, if god had a plan to begin with, everything in the middle of that is completely inconsequential because it's all part of that plan.

In saying this, the bible only ever needed two pages:

'And god said; "I have a plan"'

"The end".

It's more like I've discovered a great treasure in a field, and rather than stealing it, I'm working to take possession of what I already found by investing everything I have to buy the field.

I often see gamblers doing that. Problem is, gamblers never win.

Last edited:
Red Devil said:
First and foremost, I cannot understand why so called christians cannot make a point without refering to quotes from such a dubious, oft amended, book like the bible.
It has to do with the subject matter. The Bible is the history of the faith, so when dicussing the faith... there you go. If we were talking about any other topic, other sources would be quoted to support the arguments being used.

You tell us that you enjoy relationships THANKs to your Christian legacy. Sorry, Christianity is an excuse, not a reason. Surely your capable of making decisions not based on some passage in your bible? If not, then your life is shallow. I have many friends, more than I can count, all over the planet, some close, some just friends and not one of them was led to me, or vice versa, by Jesus or anyone else divine like.
It's a bit like thanking democracy for providing you with the opportunity to vote, or thanking your parents for paying your school fees and paying the bills. The main reason for being thankful is that it wasn't because of my decisions. I wasn't thanking Christianity for "leading them to me", but for providing the infrastructure, so to speak. As for making decisions based on the Bible, that would be like making decisions based on the constitution. Most people do fine not stealing or murdering without citing the constitution as the reason, but that's because they've been brought up in a society that has made its guiding principles their own already.

You go to church whenever, make your sincerity platitudes, tell everyone how much in gods grace you are and then go home and moan about the noisy neighbours, swear when you bang your knee on that damned coffee table and possibly support a leader who sends your youth to war, to die.
Excellent point. If you went to church you might have heard the same things said somewhere in a sermon (although I don't think people who swear at the damned coffee table are high on the list of concerns right now). They'd also likely cite precedent (I like the way The Message puts it):
Matt. 5:33-37 "And don't say anything you don't mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, 'I'll pray for you,' and never doing it, or saying, 'God be with you,' and not meaning it. You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong."​

SnakeLord said:
Incorrect. My application seems to be on an educated and majority understanding of the translation of an ancient text into English. Some guy on the internet telling me "hate" doesn't mean "hate" - as decided by the majority of qualified translators, doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.

C'mon Jan, you've done one sentence and got it wrong...
If I got it wrong it would be due to your explanatory abilities. I've never argued that hate doesn't mean hate - in English. Nor that "hate" isn't a 100% acceptable and accurate translation of the Greek word in question. My argument with you is whether the traditional English usage of that word is applicable under the circumstances, since we're not dealing with an English context here, and that's why the more explanatory/idiomatic translations are invaluable. If I translated an idiom from my native language literally into English, then even if the words I used were completely accurate, the meaning could be lost. Do you understand the concept better now?

Much like not working Sabbath and "it's ok" are obviously contradictory. Such is the bible - and that cannot be helped given the amount of writers and time frame.
It's not a similar case at all, but that's another debate entirely.

Inaccurate. With regards to the bible and jesus, you are simply incapable of looking at any other angle. I have and will welcome discussion about the good teachings, about jesus' 'good' teachings. You are utterly incapable of doing the opposite in return.

Do you disagree?
I'm not quite sure what you expect me to do. If you want to make an argument for Jesus' inconsistency based on Luke 14, I'm perfectly prepared to follow your argument to its logical conclusion with you, but you seem to want me to accept the conclusion of your argument without ever making one. Unless your argument goes something like "Jesus used the word 'hate', therefore his intentions were evil" or "Jesus caused division, and all division is evil", which would be a little fallacious.

Sure I can entertain the possibility that Jesus was confused about his purpose or that hatred was a priority on his agenda, but like you said, I could also suppose there was an invisible pink unicorn... Under the circumstances, I simply don't see the point of supposing it.

But do you agree that this 'division' is "well, some people wont accept jesus", or that jesus came to make it so?[/indent]
He came to make it so only indirectly, since the whole momentum of his ministry was devoted to preaching repentance from sin. The result of that preaching would be division - and a necessary division. Your argument hasn't even reached this stage, and proving that division is a bad thing per se is still a step further (not to mention damaging to your case).

Sorry, hate to intrude - but was I supposed to be impressed by someone saying people who aren't sick don't need a doctor? Oh you and jesus are such info givers. Lol.
Meaning Jesus didn't come to save those who don't need rescuing, which seems to bother you a lot based on the amount of times you've asked me whether I would prefer a sinless world or Jesus. Jesus isn't optional, but sin is. In a sinless world, Jesus would still represent the relationship we have with God, but it wouldn't need any sacrifice. Obviously I prefer such a world. If your next question is going to be, why didn't Jesus bring such a world, my answer would be: He did, with his sacrifice - and the sinful world doesn't want anything to do with it, hence the division.

At this point it is worth noticing that I haven't in any way declined his intelligence or indeed godliness, (which is rare from an atheist). The issue does not lie here, but with his purpose, his function, what he came to do. Judging by his own words, he came to bring the sword, not peace.
You forget the last words: on earth. But his kingdom is one of peace, and he brought that within reach of anyone. Conceivably, if everyone accepted it and placed a higher morality above their personal interests, peace would reign on earth, but I think you have a good idea of how unlikely that is considering the divisions that already existed before Jesus came.

But all you're doing here is asking me, or indeed telling me, to accept your 'version' of that translation - that clearly seems to be harder than it looks - given that the majority, according to you, have royally fucked it up. While I would bow down to you Jen, I would ask right now that you back it up. I would love for you to go head to head with all these translators and tell them they're wrong. From my position, where do I get my unchangeable absolute word of god from? Clearly not the same version you do.
They're not wrong, and the word hate is fine in that context, as the idiomatic translations affirm (not contradict). I'm beginning to repeat myself, so if you still don't understand how there can be no problem with the word, but with the conclusions you draw from it, I can only suggest you reread my last two posts.

Essential question to proceed: Can you ever consider jesus in a negative light?
Of course I can. I can even consider him in a purple light if you wish, but the problem is not that your argument is futile, it is that there isn't one. I've seen the damage that "but this is the plain reading!" can do firsthand, and your skepticism might even owe a lot to such ignorance. I don't begrudge you your opinion, but at the moment it's baseless.

"If preaching something will bring fierce opposition"..

Preaching something, anything, will always bring opposition. Shit, we couldn't even go a week without some people protesting about petrol charge rises no matter how much the government preached it as being good. Didn't bother me in the slightest - I don't drive.

However - given the circumstance.. If Tony Blair said: "I have come to kill Iraqi's", can you really have issue with the "fierce" opposition he's going to get - whether you like Iraqi's or not?

Let us perhaps agree that "peace" is the ultimate end. It's what heaven is, it's what your entire life has led to. No war, no arguments, no descension in heaven. You could have that right now - but the man in charge, the big cheese says he isn't going to give you that, but the opposite.
And now you're arguing my case again, so perhaps we can tentatively agree on this point: preaching a controversial message will bring opposition, and few messages are more controversial than apocalyptic ones. Having absolute peace on earth, like I explained before, would mean to strip everyone of beliefs contrary to the peaceful ones - or let them have those beliefs, but separate them from the peaceful state. Instant apocalypse; instant heaven and hell. That Jesus left a grace period between the message/warning and the final solution, is a blessing for everyone who value the freedom to choose, and an excruciating wait for everyone who are suffering under the choice against.

Not sure I follow you right now, but if we need to get into hypocricy or contradiction we need only look at pretty much any passage in the bible: "why call me good, only the father is good", "I and the father are one" etc etc and so on. This is what happens when you have texts written by multiple people over generations.
I tried to clarify it a bit. It comes down to using the division you condemn, to condemn the division that you're using, when someone else uses it. If Jesus used it for good, but you say it's bad, how come it's good when you use it. I can try to rephrase it in as many ways as I can, but it shows that your complaint is self-refuting.

No. I have already argued that 'plan' is plan. Good and bad become meaningless no? Why, we overlook the death of every single man, woman, animal and plant on the planet because it was all part of the master scheme - why would this be any different? We accept the worldly slaughter on the basis that it has brought us jesus. We accept our own sins, our own failings in the light of jesus - in the NT fact that jesus' entire purpose is to forgive us for those failings, for those sins. And yet, for some bizarre reason, the minute there's a little bit of a 'human shudder' in the morals and decisions applied by god, you have to argue it - much like I'm sure you would have argued back in the day when every single being on the planet was sucking salt water.
A solution means to reject the problem, not to accept it. That the problem led to the particular solution is simple force of necessity. It may cast the future in a different light, simply because of the change it brought, but it doesn't justify the past - and that's not what Jesus did either. If you take the "moral shudder" back to its source, you'll find it in the freedom of man not to do what God commanded - the very same freedom you now consider a supreme right. Sure, you might say God is responsible for the consequences of creating free man, but He keeps his responsibility by not letting sin have the final say, "[f]or the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

We accept our own sins and failings much like we accept when we've done something wrong according to a country's law. The same law that would be redundant if nobody did anything wrong is the one that makes people guilty and subject to judgement. Nobody accepts crime because it brought a legal system we all benefit from; why would someone accept sin because it brought a Saviour we could all benefit from? If there were no laws, people would still benefit from doing the right thing, and if there was no sin, people would still benefit from God's love.

Woe to the bible. All plans laid out for man to follow. The world will end, "stars" will fall on the planet and poison the water, a flying dragon with a hooker for company will wage war with now non-existant babylonians and well.. that will be that. In it's aftermath, a new jerusalem, (of all places - shithole that it is), will come out of the sky and settle on a new earth in a new universe and we'll all be happy in a city of gold, except for dogs and fortune tellers that have to live outside - a big "haha" on them.

Maybe you haven't read the bible lately, but the "plan" is right there.
You're not really one for symbolism, are you?

Why do they point at Hebrews?
Why do they "ignore" those passages? Does the bible say that those passages are more ignorable?
You seem to be arguing against yourself here. If you want to make changes, let me know and I'll delete this.

Apologies, but clearly your 'version' of the bible has. If it didn't, you'd be agnostic at the very least.
I'd be an agnostic if I didn't believe what the Bible said. It didn't force me to believe anything, it just presented me with its message, and it made sense to me.

You argue my case. Thank you.
My pleasure. It also happens to be my case, so I guess we agree about yet another thing. Love does what is needed. With little resistance, little sacrifice is needed; with a lot of resistance, a lot of sacrifice may be needed. It's the same love, and the same principles since the beginning. Resistance doesn't suddenly bring it into existence, and sin didn't suddenly make Jesus a saviour - he already was that before sin. So suffering was not God's "tool" to save us, even though it led to our being saved and bringing God's righteousness out more clearly, it's the human condition after the fall.

This was planned since the beginning right? (you can't deny that given your last statement)
Nothing has been said about it being planned; it was already there from the beginning. If you think of perfection as the "balance" of an equation, it becomes easier to understand. Before there was sin and death, the relationship was perfect and in balance; with sin and death, it became an effort to maintain the relationship or balance the equation, but the balance remained the balance, and Jesus was always the perfect expression of it.

I don't, but ok - the only perspective that counts is gods... Man fights other man and needs jesus to save him. Thus, bringing the sword instead of peace is an absolute - because that sword is needed for there to be a jesus to ever bring peace.
The need is not an ideal, it's unfortunate. Peace with God and each other is far more preferable than peace that needs God's intervention.

As for the argument that our sin plays into God's plan for salvation and is therefore somehow justified - it's patently absurd, since sin is always condemned:
Rom. 3:7-8 "Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" Why not say—as we are being slanderously reported as saying and as some claim that we say—"Let us do evil that good may result"? Their condemnation is deserved."​

Last edited:
Charles cure said:
Since being a Christian means that you accept Christ as your Saviour and necessarily hold the view that anyone who does not do this is going to hell,.

There is an "economy" of God, many groups who haven't received Him "as their personal Saviour", will be there.

Last edited:
SnakeLord:

Suppose there was an invisible pink unicorn...
Holy f'ing crap dude! I didn't mean to spawn the mother of all posts. I'm just as flamingly atheistic as you are. I just like science fiction. And I agree with all of your posts.

perplexity said:
Never derived because of fear or jealousy?

No.

What is going on when somebody says "I will teach you some respect"?

Compassion with the object of self and an awareness of power can lead to this form of respect.

Do fools classify as fools see fit, or could anyone wield the sword of truth?

To me it is tautology, that a context limits, but perhaps I miss your point.

Fools do classify as fools see fit. Anyone who speaks a truth has swung the sword of truth.

My point was a specific action need not be confined to only being one or the other. It could be neither kind nor cruel. It could be a merging of kind and cruel in which what is seen as one turns into the other over time.

But your original proposition seemed to suggest that it is possible to act upon a belief but with no awareness of the belief, and I fail then to see why that not would not apply to any statement.

I'm not sure how you got that out of my original statement. It is impossible to act on a belief without awareness of the belief. It is possible to act on a belief without conscious awareness of the belief.

Did you think that water never tried to understand her own beliefs?

You seem to dodge that in order to dodge the point: When you offer particular advice to somebody it seems to imply that the advice is both pertinent and not already sufficiently considered, and this tends to cause offence. Some people are especially sensitive to unsolicited advice, already sick to death of it.

A question without substance need not be dodged nor answered. Most people try to understand their own beliefs. That water said she was not buddha is evidence that she has.

There was more to the advice than understanding one's beliefs and living those beliefs.

That is where the respect comes into it.

Do you know what she wants and does it matter?

When I asked a question to understand what was understood of water's beliefs another answered the question first. I again ask water a question and an answer was given but the other rephrases the question as if the answer was not a valid answer. The environment was clearly not conducive to either her learning or mine.

You ask if I understand what water wants, the answer is no.

Raphael said:
....Fools do classify as fools see fit. Anyone who speaks a truth has swung the sword of truth.
My point was a specific action need not be confined to only being one or the other. It could be neither kind nor cruel. It could be a merging of kind and cruel in which what is seen as one turns into the other over time.
Now I think I see what you were getting at, the belief in the roles of victim, persecutor or rescuer, student or teacher. It is a constant problem with notions of sin or karma, the difficulty of accounting for taste, kind or cruel, right or wrong.

Raphael said:
I'm not sure how you got that out of my original statement. It is impossible to act on a belief without awareness of the belief. It is possible to act on a belief without conscious awareness of the belief.

I had assumed that "A person cannot change another person." was proposed a belief.

Raphael said:
A question without substance need not be dodged nor answered. Most people try to understand their own beliefs. That water said she was not buddha is evidence that she has.
There was more to the advice than understanding one's beliefs and living those beliefs.
For want of what more was in mind I am not so sure of any of that, even of what a belief is.

If I fail to see my own actions, how then how do I know, how to understand what I believe?

Do you have a method to propose?

Raphael said:
When I asked a question to understand what was understood of water's beliefs another answered the question first. I again ask water a question and an answer was given but the other rephrases the question as if the answer was not a valid answer. The environment was clearly not conducive to either her learning or mine.
You ask if I understand what water wants, the answer is no.

Suppose then that water simply does not want to learn, would that matter, in terms of respect?

-- Ron.

perplexity said:
Now I think I see what you were getting at, the belief in the roles of victim, persecutor or rescuer, student or teacher. It is a constant problem with notions of sin or karma, the difficulty of accounting for taste, kind or cruel, right or wrong.

If one believes an action must be cruel or kind, right or wrong then that one will have difficulty.

I had assumed that "A person cannot change another person." was proposed a belief.

Ok, but how does connect with "seemed to suggest that it is possible to act upon a belief but with no awareness of the belief"?

For want of what more was in mind I am not so sure of any of that, even of what a belief is.

If I fail to see my own actions, how then how do I know, how to understand what I believe?

Before one tries to catch wind in a bag, one must first understand the nature of what is being caught.

Do you have a method to propose?

I had thought it was already proposed. If one finds themselves in a position which is successfully attacked examine the position being attacked.

Suppose then that water simply does not want to learn, would that matter, in terms of respect?

Wanting to learn and not wanting to learn. I see no difference when one considers respect of another's right to choose.

Raphael said:
If one believes an action must be cruel or kind, right or wrong then that one will have difficulty.

Life was already reputed to be difficult.

If the suggestion is to forget or forgive a supposed cruelty, I fear for your inclusion on water's list of those who made her life Hell.

I would otherwise agree, if you mean to suggest that people heed what they want to hear, and see what they want to see anyway, to suit themselves.

Raphael said:
Ok, but how does connect with "seemed to suggest that it is possible to act upon a belief but with no awareness of the belief"?
Before one tries to catch wind in a bag, one must first understand the nature of what is being caught.

If you are saying that there has to be some awareness in order to understand then I concede. Insert "conscious" or "insuffiucient" before "awareness" if you will.

Raphael said:
I had thought it was already proposed. If one finds themselves in a position which is successfully attacked examine the position being attacked.

But is it not because of the examination that the proverbial sword of truth would cut?
Is there another way for such an attack to succeed, before examination?

Raphael said:
Wanting to learn and not wanting to learn. I see no difference when one considers respect of another's right
to choose.

One is presumably required to learn what another's choice is.

--- Ron.

I've never argued that hate doesn't mean hate - in English. Nor that "hate" isn't a 100% acceptable and accurate translation of the Greek word in question. My argument with you is whether the traditional English usage of that word is applicable under the circumstances, since we're not dealing with an English context here, and that's why the more explanatory/idiomatic translations are invaluable. If I translated an idiom from my native language literally into English, then even if the words I used were completely accurate, the meaning could be lost.

"All this involved many thousands of hours of research and discussion regarding the meaning of the texts and the precise way of putting them into English. It may well be that no other translation has been made by a more thorough process of review and revision from committee to committee than this one."

It goes on to say that they haven't just done a word-for-word translation, but one that accurately conveys the meaning etc etc yada yada and then go on to say that the bible is the infallible word of god *snore*

In 30 seconds, Jenyar farts that off the face of the planet with some personal little opinion that translators don't know what they're doing. These scholars, working for thousands and thousands of hours, have decided that 'hate' is the accurate word to use, not only from a translation point of view, but from a meaning point of view as well.

It's not a similar case at all

Of course it is, contradiction is contradiction.

If you want to make an argument for Jesus' inconsistency based on Luke 14, I'm perfectly prepared to follow your argument to its logical conclusion with you, but you seem to want me to accept the conclusion of your argument without ever making one

Nonsense. Indeed I keep asking you questions that rarely, if ever, get an answer. What you conclude is of no relevance. You'll still go to sleep a religious boy, and I'll still go to sleep an atheist.

What I am waiting for is more of a debate than {pp} "translators fucked it up" - which is pretty much all you've managed to say.

Unless your argument goes something like "Jesus used the word 'hate', therefore his intentions were evil"

My argument is that since day 1 it has been the plan for man to fail - to sin, to be divided, (by god).

We have jesus' "sword, not peace" speech - an indicator that his purpose was to cause descension, (yes Jenyar, purpose).

Going back in time a little we even see god going out of his way to ensure descension and division. Man is getting along just fine - indeed accomplishing so much together that god ends up getting concerned over how well humanity is getting along. So what does he do? He goes down, "scatters" them all over the earth and "confuses" their language so they cannot understand each other and thus become divided.

The clear purpose of these two gods compliments each other - to divide mankind, to cause descension, to bring a 'sword', (whether verbal of physically), against each other.

What would happen if mankind did start getting along, living in peace? Undoubtedly jesus would return and tell the world tax collecters suck just before suiciding himself and his father would then once more confuse everyone and scatter us to whatever places are left to be scattered to.

He came to make it so only indirectly

Indirectly? No. Intentionally? yes "I have come to bring.." not "Because of me being here there will be.." much like "god came down and confused them..." not "man was getting along perfectly until for no good reason they decided to confuse themselves and scatter themselves across the planet".

The result of that preaching would be division - and a necessary division.

A "necessary" division because jesus ensured that it would happen, as did his father before him.

Meaning Jesus didn't come to save those who don't need rescuing, which seems to bother you a lot based on the amount of times you've asked me whether I would prefer a sinless world or Jesus.

What bothers me is even though you yourself point out how many times I have asked, at this stage you still haven't answered it. As for who jesus did or did not come to save, it's irrelevant to what I've been saying.

Jesus isn't optional, but sin is

A rather curious statement. Given that a few billion don't believe in jesus, it's clear he is "optional" {edit} Not to mention that even you'd agree, (from what I know of our previous conversations), that god has given us a choice as to whether to believe in him etc etc. On the other side even you would state that no human is sinless - no matter how much of a jesusite you are, implying that sin isn't "optional" - but an absolute inevitable part of being human.

In a sinless world, Jesus would still represent the relationship we have with God, but it wouldn't need any sacrifice

Well, a different debate altogether, but I personally fail to see the real benefit of a god whacking himself temporarily with regards to us smoking, bonking and being as human as humans possibly can be - much like I never really saw the worth in slaughtering a cow every other day.

'And god boomed down; "You there! You have done the ultimate bad, silly human that you are, and slept with a woman on her period. Kill a cow and it will all be better.. ah the glorious smell of burning cow flesh mmmm."' Or even worse

'"And god boomed down; "You there! You have looked at a woman with lust in your eye. I will now kill myself briefly to make it better."'

It's so daft I can't help but laugh. Admittedly though that 3 second; "Ouch, argg, I'm only god, don't hurt me so much" did end up saving a damn lot of cows.

You forget the last words: on earth

Sorry, didn't realise you'd think I was talking about Jupiter.

But his kingdom is one of peace, and he brought that within reach of anyone. Conceivably, if everyone accepted it and placed a higher morality above their personal interests, peace would reign on earth, but I think you have a good idea of how unlikely that is considering the divisions that already existed before Jesus came.

Yes they did, indeed since the time of god coming down and causing that division by confusing people and scattering them all over the earth - because they were getting along. jesus just came and reiterated what his plan has been since day zero. But if we are to say that heaven will be a place of total peace, why bother with earth at all?

Of course I can. I can even consider him in a purple light if you wish

I see the question was not taken seriously.

but the problem is not that your argument is futile, it is that there isn't one

There is. Perhaps you just need a translator, (although certainly not any that helped translate bibles).

I've seen the damage that "but this is the plain reading!" can do firsthand, and your skepticism might even owe a lot to such ignorance

Yeah, throw that word in there like it has any value. The bible and actions within the bible support what I've said. The best you can conjure up is to say translators are all wrong.

so perhaps we can tentatively agree on this point: preaching a controversial message will bring opposition

Yes, because that is what the plan has ensured. There was a time when mankind got along - worked together and achieved so much that even god had to sit down and say; "nothing will be impossible for them". By now we could have achieved so much more, nothing would be impossible for us. The only reason we are as we are now is because god specifically and intentionally caused that division between us - forced division upon mankind.

Having absolute peace on earth, like I explained before, would mean to strip everyone of beliefs contrary to the peaceful ones - or let them have those beliefs, but separate them from the peaceful state.

Well no, it doesn't mean having to do anything - you're just speaking from a view of experience to the way things currently are. But that division wasn't always there, need not be there, and would not be there if it wasn't for god forcing that division upon mankind because their co-operation with each other was accomplishing too much.

If Jesus used it for good, but you say it's bad, how come it's good when you use it. I can try to rephrase it in as many ways as I can, but it shows that your complaint is self-refuting.

Once again I don't really understand what you're trying to get at, (most likely due to that confusion forced upon mankind), and I always end up laughing because you constantly change "discussion" or "debate" to "complaint" whenever talking with someone that disagrees with you or has a differing view.

My debate that god specifically set out to cause division between humans - (just to then go on and suicide himself to forgive people for that division that he caused) - is attested to by biblical text. From Babel to jesus speech and to other examples that I shall point out if and when this discussion continues, one step at a time.

Your rebuttal is that I am having problems reading, but it just wont wash Jenyar.

You're not really one for symbolism, are you?

I'm sorry, there I was being told the bible was the absolute, infallible word of god. It depends person to person I guess, but undoubtedly Woody and Adstar would be the very first two to tell you you're wrong. Symbolism? Pfft.

Still, I can see that this would be the next argument once you figure out that "translators are wrong", isn't going to get you anywhere. "It's not real man, it's just a story! Ignore that part, that part, oh and that part. Just believe the parts I tell you to".

But sure Jenyar, I do agree with you. It's all symbolic. There was no Noah or global flood, there was no Adam and Eve or talking snake, there was no Jesus or resurrection. It's just a story.

You seem to be arguing against yourself here

Convenient tactic to avoid answering the questions.

I'd be an agnostic if I didn't believe what the Bible said

You're not one for symbolism, are you?

As for the argument that our sin plays into God's plan for salvation and is therefore somehow justified - it's patently absurd, since sin is always condemned

Well, I'd somewhat agree, other than to state that 'sin' is only sin when the big man wants it to be sin. Murder, (a sin), becomes perfectly fine and indeed encouraged at other moments and no longer gets classified as sin. However, this isn't really part of the debate - which is to say that god/jesus specifically planned and caused man to be divided. "A man to go against his father.." yada yada.

---------

Holy f'ing crap dude! I didn't mean to spawn the mother of all posts. I'm just as flamingly atheistic as you are

Lol. "Flamingly atheistic". Gotta love it :D

Last edited:
Back