A good quote.

whatsup.

The result of using faith consistently is the complete inability to think.

Thats why Im a christian..
QED.

Faith is an act of mental destruction. If there is no evidence for a claim, then accepting it is irrational. It is more likely to be false then true (since there are more false ideas then true ones, being that there is only one reality).

Yes IT IS MORE LIKELY TO BE FALSE THAN TRUE, THATS WHY IM A CHRISTIAN,
QED.

Building a structure of knowledge on such a flimsy foundation will leave it shaky and unstable. Eventually, even if confronted with evidence against it, one's mind will be so dependent on the belief that fear of one's world view collapsing will encourage one to reject the evidence. When this happens, one acts against reality. This is an act of destruction.

YOU RMAKING ME SO PROUD OF BEING A CHRISTIAN
QED.

truthseeker,

Love... That's the center of our thoughts, our feelings, our will...
The center of our "religion"...
Love is a very overrated and transient emotion that very few actually need, not many achieve, but an enormous number believe they need because of false perceptions generated by puerile ideologies.

Love has a specific place and value. Do not elevate it to a level it doesn't deserve. Experience and history shows us that anything to excess tends to result in abuse.

There is very much more to life than just love.

He is so screwed up I don't know what he is.

But he messes around with everyone else's posts, deliberately, and takes quotes out of context, that I just thought he might like to see how it feels. However he did say these things, and pretty much in context, I just don’t think he knows what he is saying.

Cris,

Love is not an emotion... What people call "love" is actually even selfish. This "love" was created by the media, it is not the True Love.

The True Love is:

1 Corinthians 13

The Excellence of Love

"1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.
13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. "

Originally posted by Cris
Bebelina,
There are no circumstances when faith should be used instead of reason.

Reason itself requires faith..You can reject reason, like you always do, or accept it and have faith in it, your choice...

Im sorry but I MUST post this...

THE TOP 10 OF THE ATHEISM'S ARGUMENT AGAINST GOD, ALL QUOTED FROM THE WRITINGS OF ATHEISTS HERE....Summary of atheists argument, the outcome from all the debates...

1. Atheist says "To have faith means to believe in myths", so faith is illogic...(LOL, got brain?)

2. Atheist says "Nature is super duper LUCK! In other words "Chance"!", (no evidence supports this claim of "possibility")..

3. Atheists says "All christians are killers and perverts! Therefore there is no God!", (Are u ok?)...

4. Atheists says "The word "Knowing" means establishing, controlling, and Doing! Therefore God cant be all knowing!! Because knowing something means contolling something!!", (just plain stupid).....

5. Atheists says "You have no proof of God!", (although tons of evidence are given)...

6. Atheists says "Theory means FACT! And needs no faith! Because theory is another word for PURE EVIDENCE!!", (just plain delusional)...

7. Atheists says "I am very smart!! And I know what Im talking about!!", (another false remark)....

8. Atheists says "I dont make a claim, you do, so prove your claim, otherwise God is a myth"...(Wait a minute, u said u dont make claim, but then said "God is a myth", isnt that a claim? Now do u have a proof of yur claim?).

9. Atheists says "Evolution contradicts God"...(When it doesnt, only 2 those who take the bible literally)...

And let the drums roll, for the best and the last comment atheists will say concerning God.........((((((((((drums rolling)))))))))))..

Well here it is...

10. Atheist says "Prove to me Giant purple squid monkeys, fuzzy pink elephant dont exist", (TENG DENG! This is the best of the best of atheism's argument against God, a IGNORANT and illogic pointless comment, is their best argument)...

HAVE YOU SEEN ANYTHING LOGIC ABOVE? HAVE YOU SEEN ANYTHING THAT IS "TRUTHFULL"? HAVE YOU SEEN ANYTHING "SCIENTIFIC" ABOVE? LOL, ASK ATHEIST AND THEY WILL SAY "YES, ALL THOSE MAKE SENSE"....LOL...

I don't know why the fuck I'm responding to this. I honestly don't know. *hides stub of crack behind mouse*

1. To have faith=accept something to be true without bothering to confirm. This works very well only if the source is reliable and has gone RIGOROUS review. Which is the case for scientific theories but not for religion. I've never seen parts of the bible get thrown out for not withstanding physical phenomena tests. I've seen entire books of science get rejected. LOL, got brains?

2. Depends on what you call luck. Try the experiment of the origin of life and you'll get results. Simulate the atmosphere of the earth at the beginning and give it electric shocks. You will be able to pick up amino acids forming from it. Now that's "luck" for you.

3.?? Since when did atheists say this? Are you confusing logical atheist arguments with antichristian people disguising themselves as born-again atheists? Are you OK?

4. Agree with the knowing part, but I don't get how you connect it with god is not allknowing part. Please explain "our" arguments further.

5. Tons of evidence? Sorry but we require testable and reproduceable phenomena. I do believe jesus refuses to test the lord when he is tempted by satan. That is basically a statement refusing it. That is, in turn, an open admission that you can't give evidence.
But frankly who cares if there is evidence or not? As long as it works for you you shouldn't care. Play by your rules. Your faith in your god must be weak for you to tout "tons of evidence" in favor of him.

6. Theory=a wellsubstantiated and plausible explanation for some aspect of the natural world supported by reproduceable physical phenomena. The formal definition is miles away from what you think it is. You note, that any theory sciience has now can be ditched and trashed the moment it is proven false by physical evidence. No matter how pretty it is, if evidence proves otherwise it has to go. That's how Einstein ripped out Newtonian mechanics and reduced it into an approximation. He proved his theory to be the real mechanics and newtonian mech to be an approximation for low speeds.

Well, for now. Until another nutter comes and proves einstein false...see? Where does faith fit in the picture?

7. This also applies to any human. Including you. Including me. And my family. Your family. The janitor where you teach catechisms. The nice old lady next door. If people didn't have that to back them up they'd never make progress. Yell at me for more information if you need it. I'd be happy to explain.

8. I think I explained this one above. Again, yell if you need more explaining.

9.?? Since when do atheists say THAT? I thought it was creationists who say that...please explain for me?

10. This is atheists pulling your leg to get you to yell more so that they'll be amused. A rather amusing pastime I must admit.

The thing is, a supreme and superior being ruling over us all will never be proved nor disproved. Reality is in your own mind. IF you've never heard of me, you'd be able to disprove my existence. Or prove it, for that matter. See? So christianity and atheism is a matter of personal choice, not about barging into sciforums and yelling in all caps.

Some athiest quotes I've collected here and there, this should even the battlefield...

"An Atheist loves himself and his fellow human instead of a god."

- And Jesus said unto them, "And whom do you say that I am?"
They replied, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of the context of our very selfhood revealed."
And Jesus replied, "What?"

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. "

"The church says that the Earth is flat, but I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the shadow than in the church."

"Fear is your only god."

"The reason I know I am God is because one day as I was praying, I realized I was talking to myself."

"The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of resoning."

"If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question."

"If Jesus was hung, would we pray to a rope?"

"If God didn't exist, it would be neccesary to many to invent him."

"Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church." :D

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy."

"I think the only power higher than myself is the power of all of us combined"

"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education."

"not length of life; depth of life"

"He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts and multiply the grief which he purposes to remove"

"Celebrate your existence"

"A belief is not merely an idea that the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind"

"It often takes more courage to change one's opinion than to stick to it"

"For me the greatest beauty always lay in the greatest clarity"

"Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence. "

"For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us"

Bebelina, I still await your reply.

Zero, awright nice try. But you know as you stated stated that you have probably wasted your time.

Notme, great stuff.

There's the fun game of following a futile cause for the heck of it.

Someone has pointed out to me that perhaps not everyone knows what QED means.

QED comes from latin “quod erat demonstrandum” meaning which was to be demonstrated, or we did what we set out to do.

In mathematics when one constructs a formal proof it is common practice to end the final conclusion with QED. Effectively meaning I have proved my case. At least it was common when I was at school. But that was in England several decades ago.

I wish I had time to read it all, and respond too, but I have a big performance to do on sunday and I have to practice, but a quick glance at what has been said so far only confirms the validity of the qoute I posted.
Now, don't misunderstand me here, I don't think it's a good thing to have blind faith in whatever comes your way, but it's not good to don't have any faith at all either. But that's really besides the issue. The issue was pointing out how different people react depending on their perceptions. And you have followed those directions exactly. The atheists have denied everything, and the religious have complied immediately. :D

Zero, don't write me anymore pm:s saying that I'm making a fool out of myself. You are, by mailing me such nonsense. I never make a fool out of myself, no need to make myself into something I already am. :D

People, you are taking this way too seriously.

Originally posted by Bebelina
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." St. Thomas Aquinas

Very relevant still.

how interesting, however, the second half doesn't seem to make any sense. A person can accept an explanation without faith easily.

horse.gif

Back