A good quote.

Bebelina

kospla.com
Valued Senior Member
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." St. Thomas Aquinas

Very relevant still.

Oh my God, that is very profound. Thats very true...Wow, and i thought I am smarter than him, LOL. Thats knowledge, indeed, wisdom comes from God...

Wow....very very profound...

Should be:
"To one who has faith, the explanation given is automatically accepted as the answer. To one without faith, the explanation given is flawed, so they are damned to Hell by all Christians."

Interesting quote, but like Vakemp mentioned it's not really applicable. It's not the acceptance of the explanation that matters, but the accuracy of the explanation given.

Here's one for whatsupyall:

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is
shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Albert Einstein

Well, I'm not a christian, but I really liked the quote. It points out that faith is really the only issue. In matters beyond religion too. Because we can never really prove anything to be true or false, real or unreal. All we can do is to have faith in what we are able to perceive and comprehend. And even have faith in matters we don't perceive nor comprehend.
For example, you have faith in that planes can fly, even though you don't understand exactly how it is done. In the same way you can have faith in a God, or whatever you want to call it, because you can experience yourself as being part of its construction, just like being in the plane while it's flying.
You can construct the thought of it being a possible reality in your mind, because you have faith in your minds ability to perceive experinces as a credible reality.

Thank you Bebelina, it is nice knowing somebody here have common sense...I get frustrated most of the time because I cant even get through COMMON SENSE debating against MOST atheists here, but its nice knowing somebody have COMMON SENSE. Your a smart person indeed (Like Einstein compared to other atheists here).

Xelios,

Interesting quote, but like Vakemp mentioned it's not really applicable. It's not the acceptance of the explanation that matters, but the accuracy of the explanation given.

Sorry, that's wrong. You don't know the definition of faith, do you?

Hebrews 11:1-3
"1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
2 For by it the men of old gained approval.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. "

Thank you whatsupyall, for your considerable superiority and your Enlightening us in how dumb we all were, and how we must all sit at your feet and lick your Sacred boots in the hope that some of the Good Faith will rub off on us.

Now you shall explain to us, with the power and knowledge of your god vested in you by means of pure, blind faith, just how it is impossible to prove anything correct by scientific and logical means. And just how, exactly, does your god explain logic? If you give me any explanation like "logic is conformity to the grace of god" I will heartily THWAP you on the head.

Bebelina is welcome to try to explain it as well.

-central philosophy of Zero, Sage of Chaos

The result of using faith consistently is the complete inability to think. Without any criteria for accepting a statement as true, every random idea, whether true or false, would be just as likely to be accepted. Contradictions would exist. No higher-level abstractions could be made. Faith nullifies the mind. To the degree ideas are taken on faith, the process of thinking is subverted.

Faith is an act of mental destruction. If there is no evidence for a claim, then accepting it is irrational. It is more likely to be false then true (since there are more false ideas then true ones, being that there is only one reality). Building a structure of knowledge on such a flimsy foundation will leave it shaky and unstable. Eventually, even if confronted with evidence against it, one's mind will be so dependent on the belief that fear of one's world view collapsing will encourage one to reject the evidence. When this happens, one acts against reality. This is an act of destruction.

Some of my personal favorites:

'Faith is a continuation of reason.'

~ William Adams ~

------------------------------------

'Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.'

~ Elton Trueblood ~

-------------------------------------

'The errors of faith are better than the best thoughts of unbelief.'

~ Thomas Russell ~

><>

Originally posted by Cris
The result of using faith consistently is the complete inability to think. Without any criteria for accepting a statement as true, every random idea, whether true or false, would be just as likely to be accepted. Contradictions would exist. No higher-level abstractions could be made. Faith nullifies the mind. To the degree ideas are taken on faith, the process of thinking is subverted.

Yes thats why I have faith in God WHO IS EVIDENT, and not have faith on claims that HAVE NO evidence at all, called "Atheism"...Thats why Im a christian...:)

[
Faith is an act of mental destruction. If there is no evidence for a claim, then accepting it is irrational. It is more likely to be false then true (since there are more false ideas then true ones, being that there is only one reality).

No, Faith in proofless claim is an act of mental destruction, faith in things that are evident such as God isnt..
Your right, there is no evidence for your claim, SO ACCEPTING IT IS IRRATIONAL, AS YOU WOULD PUT IT, AND ILL ADD UP TO SAY THAT IT IS ALSO STUPID AND PATHETIC...Yes IT IS MORE LIKELY TO BE FALSE THAN TRUE, THATS WHY IM A CHRISTIAN, BECAUSE I AM NOT IRRATIONAL LIKE YOU...

[
Building a structure of knowledge on such a flimsy foundation will leave it shaky and unstable. Eventually, even if confronted with evidence against it, one's mind will be so dependent on the belief that fear of one's world view collapsing will encourage one to reject the evidence. When this happens, one acts against reality. This is an act of destruction.

YES, YOUR RIGHT, AND I CAN SEE THE RESULT OF THAT DESTRUCTION ON ATHEIST PEEPS, AND OTHER DELUSIONAL BIBLE CHRISTIANS WHO TAKE REVELATION AND SYMBOLIC PARABLES LITERALLY..

THANKS CRIS FOR CLARYFYING HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE TO PUT FAITH IN ATHEISM, HAVING FAITH THAT THERE IS NO GOD WHEN THE FACT IS NO EVIDENCE SUPPORTS THIS CLAIM, SO THANK YOU...YOU RMAKING ME SO PROUD OF BEING A CHRISTIAN :).

O Great and Foremost Sage, Humanitarian and Philanthropist Whatsup, I Revere Your Holiness!!!

Good grief, prove to me how god is evident, how atheism has no evidence at all.

In other words, prove to me how god is evident, and how god is NOT evident. Sure I'm atheist but I challenge EVERYONE here to attempt to produce a cogent, logical, and plausible post that is REPEATEDLY testable by physical phenomena. After hours of futile attempt you will realize just WHY these stupid posts go nowhere. There's just no point in two parties growling and hissing at each other, only BOLSTERING the negative views they have of each other and achieving absolutely NOTHING. Gimme a break this is like being in high school english "discussion".

Bebelina, if you started this post without knowing that people would troll each other you might want to be ashamed of your lack of common sense. If you started this on purpose to get trolling to start, you should be seriously ashamed of yourself as a sciforums veteran. Repeated topics like these will not leave any good feelings nor any constructive discussion. Nor will they help your image.

Originally posted by Zero
O Great and Foremost Sage, Humanitarian and Philanthropist Whatsup, I Revere Your Holiness!!!

Sure I'm atheist but I challenge EVERYONE here to attempt to produce a cogent, logical, and plausible post that is REPEATEDLY testable by physical phenomena..
[/size]

__________________________________________[/i] [/B]

Zero, how do u determine what is physical phenomena and what is non physical? Answer me kid...

Oh Great and Profoundly Wise Sage, my humble and insignificant answer is in the Evolution thread.

Of course if any religion had any evidence they could use reason for their claims and faith would be unnecessary.

Theists are forced to make a BIG fuss about faith, and pretend it means something special, because they have nothing of substance on which to base a reasoned argument.

Without evidence reason cannot be used. And that leaves only empty blind faith - the path of the gullible the ignorant and the mindless.

The more noise theists make about faith then the greater the certainty we can have that they have no evidence on which to base their claims.

Love... That's the center of our thoughts, our feelings, our will...
The center of our "religion"...

Originally posted by whatsupyall
Thank you Bebelina, it is nice knowing somebody here have common sense...I get frustrated most of the time because I cant even get through COMMON SENSE debating against MOST atheists here, but its nice knowing somebody have COMMON SENSE. Your a smart person indeed (Like Einstein compared to other atheists here).

Ahh, common sense, the trademark of all hegemonic ideologies.

A Good Quote

What can be accomplished by a few principles is not effected by many. But it seems that everything we see in the world can be accounted for by other principles, supposing God did not exist. For all natural things can be reduced to one principle, which is nature, and all voluntary things can be reduced to one principle, which is human reason, or will. Therefore there is no need to suppose God's existence. -- ST Thomas Aquinas --

Very relevant still.

Bebelina,

It points out that faith is really the only issue.
Only issue? I think you have seriously misunderstood how you and other people really think.

In matters beyond religion too.
There are no circumstances when faith should be used instead of reason.

Because we can never really prove anything to be true or false, real or unreal.
Perhaps, but we can base our beliefs on things where there is substantial and credible evidence, and when evidence is lacking then we can withhold belief; there is rarely if ever a case for the reasonable person to ever make a decision based on faith.

All we can do is to have faith in what we are able to perceive and comprehend.
Faith is never needed if the perceptions and comprehension are based on evidence.

And even have faith in matters we don't perceive nor comprehend.
And that is extremely dangerous.

For example, you have faith in that planes can fly, even though you don't understand exactly how it is done.
This could be called faith if you were the first person to ever fly in a plane. However, you know very well that millions of people have successfully flown in planes. So here you are not using faith but the vast evidence of past successful flyers.

In the same way you can have faith in a God, or whatever you want to call it, because you can experience yourself as being part of its construction, just like being in the plane while it's flying.
No this is entirely different. Such beliefs are not based on the vast evidence I have described for flying in a plane. These beliefs are not based on evidence but speculative imagination only.

You can construct the thought of it being a possible reality in your mind, because you have faith in your minds ability to perceive experinces as a credible reality.
This seems to say that if you can imagine something then it must be real. I’m sure you don’t need me to explain the error in that.

Back