A conundrum

Originally posted by Cris
But that cannot be established since it is known that the early church fathers manipulated and edited texts and destroyed texts to suit the story they wished to tell. What you read now has been filtered too many times to be reliable.
You mean: the earliest extant copies we have available were already too corrupt to be reliable? What about the information they were based on? What kind of corruption can be proved? If you take the gnostic texts as an example, or even something like the gospel of Mary or Thomas - they are obviously more mystical, concerned with 'hidden knowledge', and less inclined to present fact-like information.

Or if the nature of the 'corruption' is an increasingly false appeal to non-existent events and personae, why balance all of it on Jesus? If he didn't exist at all, it would be a risk to credit all their theology to him even as late as 200 years after his supposed life. With the attention Jews paid to genealogies and messianic claims, this is still soon enough to cause them great embarrassment and insubstantiate their claims. Instead, Jews were defending messianic prophesies, denying that Jesus died, questioning his parentage. Only a few questioned his existence, and this was by the same information you have available - an argument from silence.

You also easily discount the Pagan sources Tacitus (A.D. 54-119) and Suetonius (A.D. 75-160: "Judaeos, impulsore Chresto, assidue tumultuantes (Claudius) Roma expulit") and Pliny the Younger (about A.D. 61-115) as credible sources. Whatever the Roman Josephus wrote, it must have been before his death in Rome in A.D. 94. To suppose that the Josephus text was corrupted, it must be shown that all codices containing that text have been in the hands of Christians, and that all were changed similarly.
Part of the evidence for what I believe is the mythology of Christianity is the silence that should not exist. But see this link –
http://pages.ca.inter.net/~oblio/home.htm
The book of Acts describe how Christians were actively prohibited against preaching about Jesus (Acts 4:18; 5:40). Other than that Jesus lived an ordinary, private life until his first miracle at around age 30 and gospel accounts of him asking people not to spread stories about him before his death, this suppression by the authorities would have included suppression of documents and preachings about him. It certainly included severe punishment, torture, stoning, imprisonment and other forms of persecution of anyone claiming to be Christian. This explains why there seems to a suddenly established theology when John was written, after the fall of Rome.

If I am to believe all this site's claims, Christianity is a counter-culture that involved the collaboration of various knowledgable but misdirected Jews and gentiles who, over a period of 300 years, tried to make themselves unpopular with authorities and peers by preaching something contrary to prevalent beliefs. The whole site reeks of conspiracy theory.

The site by its own admission tries to make sense of a silence that is "so pervasive, so perplexing". This reflects the spirit under which most apocryphal books were written, seeking to elaborate on the missing years of Jesus, the mystery of his teachings, origins, angels, wisdom and all infuriatingly unexplained phenomena. There's a reason why they weren't canonized, you know.
Does it? I don’t think so. God is meant to exist today. Jesus is meant to be active today. The Holy Spirit is meant to be active today. These are modern claims that are independent of past history.
God does exist. Jesus is present in the Spirit He left us. The church Jesus came to establish - the people he gathered to himself - are meant to "hold the fort" until Jesus returns to conclude God's judgement. Like any other person, Jesus' life on earth only happened once. It's both a pity and a blessing we missed it. But unlike other people He will come to earth again to establish God's kingdom. The Holy Spirit is active in the thoughts and actions of those who act out God's will. What we are experiencing on earth at the moment is the equivalent of Jonah's 3 days in the fish, Noah's 40 days in the ark, the Israelites' 40 years in the desert, their exile to Babylon, and Jesus whole life on earth.

These modern claims are both dependent and independ of past history. We live in faith, just like Abraham lived and was justified by faith, just like every person after him was justified by faith. What we testify to today is still by the same faith.

No one can show factual proof for any of these things; hence they could easily be false.

But if a claimed fact is not physical/scientifically provable then it isn’t a fact since there is no other type of fact. If religion wants to establish a different type of fact then they must show that such a phenomenon is possible and that has not been established.
I pity you if science is the onlyexpression of truth you will accept. It blinds you to any kind of wisdom, because by nature wisdom is not reached by scientific method, but by reason. It is undeniably true that my father loves my mother, but I'll be damned (excuse the pun) if I, or anyone can prove it scientifically. It could be projected statistically that my father showed a convincing amount of commitment over the time they have been together, but a sceptic will quickly point out the inconsisencies with the formula and conclusion, and show that chances are still 50/50 that a divorce is possible. But this is just an analysis of what has already happened.

It could be said that I have faith in the truth their commitment. They certainly indicated it to each other by getting married. But in the end, the only justification of my belief will be if they die with that commitment, and all possibility of their ever breaking their promise to each other has been made impossible. Then you will have to believe that I have spoken the truth when I said they love each other; in the future, people might refer to my faith, my belief and by evidence of the death of my father and mother, that I testified about a fact.

Now tell me, where is science in all of this? And I'm not interested in biological attraction or chemical processes. While we live, we have to be content with faith and belief. Only when we die will anything become fact. And when there is no more death - facts will become absolute, and we will be known for what we really were. Based upon this, judgement would be concluded, and all evidence will be on the table.

Last edited:
Jenyar,

The issues and question of whether Jesus was mythical have been discussed here a number of times although I think it worth a revisit and a new thread soon. You raise a number of points that I need to address but I’m not going to have time for a while. I have found from past experience that this subject becomes very time consuming.

God does exist. Jesus is present in the Spirit He left us.
I notice you often insert these standalone sermon-like assertions into your posts. Without a justification they are only noise and do not add any weight to your argument.

These modern claims are both dependent and independ of past history. We live in faith, just like Abraham lived and was justified by faith, just like every person after him was justified by faith. What we testify to today is still by the same faith.
And this is the essential and unchanging issue between theists and atheists, you have no proofs or evidence for God, Jesus as a god, or the holy spirit, but you quote your faith as if it is has some special quality. It doesn’t it is just a belief because you want to believe despite there being no factual basis for such a belief.

I pity you if science is the only expression of truth you will accept. It blinds you to any kind of wisdom, because by nature wisdom is not reached by scientific method, but by reason.
Please take care with the theist arrogance; I don’t rise to theist emotional propaganda. I can pity you also for your gullibility.

Science is the epitome of Reason. Wisdom comes to us through creative imagination as do scientific discoveries and true knowledge, but the scientific method differentiates the fantasies from the truths and enables true wisdom to be revealed as truth.

Can you show a religious method that has ever revealed a proven truth, or a proven wisdom?

It is undeniably true that my father loves my mother, but I'll be damned (excuse the pun) if I, or anyone can prove it scientifically.
Unlike religion science doesn’t claim to have all the answers and it is that humble quality about science that gives it such strength. The sciences of psychology, psychiatry, neuroscience, etc., are all pursuing different areas of how the human mind and brain operates. The various emotions that comprise love and other complex human characteristics are not particularly easy to analyze but then that is a challenge for science, which is still perhaps in its infancy in this matter.

But you show a common mistake that theists make in that because science doesn’t have a current answer to something then it will never have an answer. But science has disproved such errors so many times in the past. But it also shows a fundamental weakness in the theist mentality, that God has all the answers so there is no point in looking any further. This again is where I see theist religion as one of the greatest evils that mankind has produced.

While we live, we have to be content with faith and belief.
And this will likely be the key differentiator between those who survive and die, because if mankind depends on empty religious fantasies for its ultimate survival then it will surely die. There is most certainly no reason to trust anything to blind faith. The continuing and often difficult challenge in life is to discover truth, and religion cannot show that it can offer any truth.

Only when we die will anything become fact.
When you die you will cease to exist and you will not be able to know anything. My ultimate goal and that of every significant religion is to cheat death. It is the primary reason any religion exists and I suspect science and technology will soon make the dream a reality and religions will be seen as the irrelevance that they are.

And when there is no more death - facts will become absolute, and we will be known for what we really were. Based upon this, judgement would be concluded, and all evidence will be on the table.
Nonsense, when we solve the death issue real life will begin and our true adventures will begin. We know so little while we are restricted to this tiny planet in an obscure corner of a vast universe that must hold wonders currently far beyond our imagination. To live far beyond our few short years and to be able explore the universe and discover new facts in a permanent state of learning and growing should be the real hope for mankind.

All you offer is an empty and baseless promise that all will be revealed when we die. Utter and unforgiveable stupidity.

Last edited:
Which version of Webster are you quoting from? Your definitions look to be about 100 years old.

The version of Websters I am quoting from, is the websters revised unabridged 1913 version.
The one you are using is an online abridged version.

abridged,

1 a archaic : DEPRIVE b : to reduce in scope : DIMINISH <attempts to abridge the right of free speech>
2 : to shorten in duration or extent <modern transportation that abridges distance>
3 : to shorten by omission of words without sacrifice of sense : CONDENSE
synonym see SHORTEN

(1) is not relevant for our discussion.

And who are you, that you can proclaim it is not relevant for “our” discussion?
How do you think one develops faith in God, if not by someone else?
Jesus Christ being one great example.

[quote[(2) links religion and a lack of proof in the same category.
Of course there is no proof, that is why we develop faith. You believe that you can live forever by linking your brain to a computer. You have no proof that this can happen, of course you may conclude that you have proof based on current technology, and development of knowledge of the brain, but within that, there is no proof that you will carry on living through your neural network, that ultimate aim is based upon your faith.

(3) Is about conviction, and doesn’t mention reason.

Conviction,

1. a strong persuasion or belief b : the state of being convinced

Conviction comes after reason.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by JDawg
But the difference is that religious people see the absence of evidence and choose to believe in spite of it. Science sees the abscene of evidence and concludes that there is nothing there to believe in, which is the only reasonable conclusion.

Think about it this way: I can tell you right now that a big, yellow glob of mucus in hovering above your left shoulder right this very moment, but you can't see it. Despite the fact that you can't see it, hear it, touch it, taste it, smell it, I'm asking you to believe. Now, science would tell you that the glob of mucus doesn't exists, due to the complete and total lack of evidence for it. It isn't based on my mental state, or lack thereof; it's not making assumptions. It is concluding based on the fact that there is no proof provided to give one reason to beleive.

Relgion, on the other hand, tells you to believe that the glob is hovering over your left shoulder despite there being zero evidence for it. Religion tells you to blindly believe.
Religions vary. Just as Bohr's view varied from Einstein's. No religion is anything like the characature above. There is plenty of subjective evidence for some sort of higher reality or fundamental state of consciousness. But unfortunately subjective evidence is not part of science, so of course it isn't evidence.

The approach to evidence you suggest here is what leads to the Copenhagen interpretation of QM. If there's no evidence let's just say that there's nothing to be known, and that there is no single underlying reality. What's your (evidence based) view on this issue?

[Do you believe in the mucus? If not, then what makes the bible any more credible than me?[/B]
I'm not a Christian, However I find that the bible makes sense in important ways (The dangers of knowledge, Tower of Babel, lilies of the field, moneychangers and commerce, importance of faith etc). Mucus doesn't have much going for it.
[See, you're failing to understand what science is. There is no other way to produce what you call a "valid view" than science. Science is the tool that produces answers from the sum of the information gathered. This, no matter what you want to call it (Like common sense, for as a very basic example) science is the only method of determining what is true and what isn't. /B]
Sorry but I think this is not thought through properly. How can you assert that science produces the only valid view without some evidence? I think you mean 'scientifically valid'.

Science does not determine truth. That much at least has been proved.
[Even if a supernatural gateway to Ford Prefect's summer home on Gamma 22C were to open right now, it would be scientific method would determine if the validity of the event. Even the common man could use it by realizing "Hey, why am I the only one who sees this?" and deduce that he must be losing his mind. And if the phenominon turned out to be an actual supernatural gateway, it would only be through science that we could determine it. [/B]
This is not true. Are you saying that your thoughts are non-existent until science confirms their existence? What I think you mean is that 'it would only be through science that you would believe it.
[And on what facts do you base this assumption on? [/B]
Failure to explain creation of matter (which science calls a 'metaphysical' problem), failure to underpin QM with anything but 'we don't know', failure to define 'measurement' for QM purposes, failure to develop any explanation of consciousness etc. Also, more fundamentally, failure to resolve dualism and therefore inability to comprehend the nature of ontological monism, (how it all could have started with just one thing, as philosophers insist it must have).
Pure nonsense. [/B]
The most obvious part of any theory is its axioms, that's why they are axioms. They are also the most inexplicable, since axioms are unprovable.
Somebody help me here, but is there no scientific evidence that we are self-aware? [/B]
Sorry but no help possible. It's known as the 'other minds' problem. Science has no way of knowing whether they exist. It's an old and unsolvable problem caused by science's definition of itself.
[More nonsense. Ok, let's break this down...science has discovered things, and determined things to be factual or non-factual through examination of evidence/lack of/absence of evidence. And religion has.....? Religion does not gather knowledge, nor is it a tool in which you can examine the evidence. All you can do with religion is compare the scientific world through dogmatic eyes, determining the truth of the information based on writings which have no evidence to back up their validity. /B]
There is more knowledge/understanding buried in the Tree of Knowledge metaphor than there is in the whole of QM (which basically doesn't explain anything of significance).

[In no way are science and religion in the same boat. In no way. Dude...how can you even consider for a moment that religion has anything to do with gaining knowledge? JD [/B]
Misunderstanding. Religions are principally about wisdom, not knowledge. Inasmuch as either of them produce knowledge they are equally flawed as methods. (Would expand but got to rush).

Originally posted by Jenyar
a) belief and trust in and loyalty to God(1) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion(2) b) firm belief in something for which there is no proof(3) : complete trust(4).

The underlying word here, is belief. Belief is obviously an important requiremeant for faith, but ones faith itself must be believed before developing faith is God. It is quite possible to believe that one will die tomorrow, but faith need not be involved. One can believe God exists based on cause and effect, but faith is not a necessaty. The best example i have heard of faith, to date is,
"the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen."
Faith in God is one thing, but "faith" does not mean, faith in God. it is inherent in every human.

Love

Jan Ardena.

This is excellent and very relevant. People believe because what they believe is what they hope to be true, and they want to believe in evidence that is unseen. As well, the evidence must remain unseen simply because whatever images and hopes they’re imaginations have conjured up in regards to their perception of their gods would be shattered and useless if such an evidence were ever revealed.

Thanks, Jan. :)

Originally posted by (Q)

This is excellent and very relevant. People believe because what they believe is what they hope to be true, and they want to believe in evidence that is unseen. As well, the evidence must remain unseen simply because whatever images and hopes they’re imaginations have conjured up in regards to their perception of their gods would be shattered and useless if such an evidence were ever revealed.

Thanks, Jan. :)

No problem Q, but remember everyone has faith in something, including you.
If there's anything else i can help with, feel free. ;)

Love

Jan Ardena.

Jan,

Of course there is no proof, that is why we develop faith.
And unnecessarily. One doesn’t need to believe anything. If there is not sufficient reason to believe then simply withhold belief. Blind faith is never needed.

You believe that you can live forever by linking your brain to a computer.
You have no proof that this can happen, of course you may conclude that you have proof based on current technology, and development of knowledge of the brain, but within that, there is no proof that you will carry on living through your neural network, that ultimate aim is based upon your faith.
This is where we differ. This is a target objective I am trying to achieve. I don’t know that it will be possible. At some time in the future it will become clear whether it is possible or not. I certainly have no proof and do not claim it is a certainty. It is very definitely a strong hope based on my knowledge of technology and neuroscience. But the difference between my hope and a theist is that a theist claims to know that there is a god. I do not know that minduploading will ever occur.

The theist claims knowledge and truth based on blind faith. I am pursuing a line of reasoning and technological development until it works or is shown to be unworkable. I hope you can see the quite massive difference.

And unnecessarily. One doesn’t need to believe anything. If there is not sufficient reason to believe then simply withhold belief. Blind faith is never needed.

I believe it's not only necessary, it's vital for a healthy performance as a human being. Humans, at least myself, must come in terms with certain ideologies to comprehend things like birth, death, diseace, decomposition, ect.....These things can't be viewed literally as they are, or one will go mad. We believe that we have a higher purpose in life than decompose and return to dust and while that might appear fictional to you, it's an ideology that launches hope in many humans and is the main reason for their morals.

The theist claims knowledge and truth based on blind faith. I am pursuing a line of reasoning and technological development until it works or is shown to be unworkable. I hope you can see the quite massive difference.

But the technological development will never answer me the question of why am I here and why do die after such build up of my great intelligence. Science will never understand my phsycology and that's a major fault and you're right quite a gap that sets theists and atheists apart.

Jan

1. Faith - Complete confidence in a person or plan etc.

2. Faith - A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

My “faith” is defined ONLY in definition No. 1.

Definition No. 2 has no meaning for me.

Flores,

I believe it's not only necessary, it's vital for a healthy performance as a human being.
So again a big difference. Blind faith is very unhealthy. It portrays a lazy mind, one that does not make the effort to discover if something is true or not or whether the question can even be answered and then believes anyway. It’s the mark of the undisciplined mind and or irresponsibility.

Humans, at least myself, must come in terms with certain ideologies to comprehend things like birth, death, diseace, decomposition, ect.....These things can't be viewed literally as they are, or one will go mad.
Facing truth can be difficult but there is nothing that says truth must be pleasant. Denying truth and believing something more pleasant is simply self delusion.

We believe that we have a higher purpose in life than decompose and return to dust and while that might appear fictional to you, it's an ideology that launches hope in many humans and is the main reason for their morals.
The belief doesn’t make it true just perhaps more pleasant.

But the technological development will never answer me the question of why am I here and why do die after such build up of my great intelligence.
Never is something you can only claim when you know everything. And why must there be a reason that you are here?

Science will never understand my psychology and that's a major fault and you're right quite a gap that sets theists and atheists apart.
Never is a dangerous assumption again.

(Go ahead, baby ... Title me!)

General comments

The first page of this topic tells me that specific address is out of the question, so a few general comments.

On the topic question itself

"Such a self-contradictory undertaking" is not doomed outright, though the odds speak heavily in favor of that outcome.

I almost missed an aspect of the question because I tend to think of life as a statistical necessity of the Universe, but in the Creation/Evolution debate, it is asserted by Creationists that humanity could not have evolved or otherwise come about without Divine Assistance. As someone (Revbill2001) noted, "Some of the damnedest things have been discovered while stumbling around in the dark." Well ... life didn't come about according to an intentionally organized design, right?

In General

I have in the past asserted of Catholicism that it is very logical in its philosophical tradition as long as you accept a minimal number of ultimately significant presuppositions, such as the existence of God, the necessity of redemption, and however it is Catholics phrase the status of Scripture.

While other allegedly objectivist perspectives on life bear more subtle presuppositions, at the root of all beliefs is presupposition. At this point, we could revisit the question of why murder is wrong, but let's short-circuit the poodle act by simply stating that the reason murder is wrong, when you get right down to it, no matter what that reason may be, is subjective. It is rooted in presuppositions about human value, human propriety, and human progress, among other human aspects.

And while the objectivist perspectives may be more subtle they are also often more functionally relevant and practical.

But this does not make any of those perspectives right; the idea of a right or proper way to think or be is in itself a presupposition.

How far do reason and objectivity go? If you watch carefully, applying reason consistently makes life very tedious; not in the sense that I would complain about boredom, but one ought to, I think, consider the reduction of various measures of efficiency that comes from proper deliberation of all available, relevant evidence. More often than not, in a consistently rational scenario, parents would find themselves unable to discipline children, and while my daughter is too young yet to make me regret my apathy toward this condition, well, it's not my apathy toward the condition--at present I prefer the idea--but rather my apathy toward other parents' concerns. I don't even object here to letting a rule stand and expecting to fill the child in over time on the hows and whys of the structure, but I haven't seen a survey yet suggesting that American parents spend nearly enough time communicating with their children (especially listening to their children) to expect that later communication of the values motivating rules to take place at all. In other words, I don't intend to beat, ground, or otherwise "punish" my daughter inasmuch as any objective examination of her actions will bore her to tears and serve well enough as "punishment". You who know my posts--imagine being, oh, pick an age, and putting up with Tiassa's Excruciating Details every time you transgressed the prescribed order.

So quite obviously, everybody's got their line. There comes a point when everybody, as (Q) puts it, "reject(s) reason and science in favor of their belief."

And, as cakes go, we're just looking at two standards of presupposition. On the one hand is the presupposition of the scientific method, that what is not observed cannot be said to be there. To the other is the intuitive assertion of what one knows and how one regards it. Science and theism are not mutually exclusive, and I would remind all that if theists were, at their core, as irrational as Sciforums tends to cast them, it would have been ages ago, and not the Second Bush League, that saw the shredding of the Constitution for God. My father, an essential atheist, also sold out to the antiexpressionism of the 1980s. I can remember long-winded lectures in which he tried to explain to me that my music was inappropriate, and if I was going to enjoy a free society, I had to expect to sacrifice certain things ..... (Sound familiar? Tipper "It's not that we advocate censorship" Gore, anyone?)

Everybody caves to presupposition at some point. I would advise our topic poster that the conundrum is artificial and symptomatic of the generalizations and stereotypes limiting the possibilities of other peoples thoughts and actions which have been suggested throughout the topic.

Reason is faith in the practical. It is only its proper and reasonable self in the abstract.

Science is incompatible with certain religions; it is erroneous and irresponsible to state that science is not compatible with religion.

Remember that all you observe and all you write down is valid only to you. It is valid to others by convention.

And remember, in addition, that what you feel is just as important. Atheists are no more prone to understanding the relationship between what they think and what they feel or how they think and how they feel than anyone else.

So here's a personal message for atheists: You must understand religion before your rejection of it is valid. If religion is so simplistic as it is cast by many atheists (and, for that matter, many believers) then understanding religion and figuring out how to overcome the obstacles it poses ought to be quite simple, as well, right? Look: Most atheists criticizing "religion" have no freaking clue what they're talking about, and just because you're not calling God an old man with a beard who sits in the sky and judges everything doesn't mean you're not treating it as such. An atheistic argument so pointed as to address only the prevailing cultural motifs is a mere reaction against perceived authority.

And, in the meantime, to claim the "truth of science" is about as infantile and religious as claiming the "truth of God".

But come on: If religion is such a simple matter, how come so few atheists understand it? If religion is such a boneheaded assertion, why does it evade the grasp of most of its atheistic critics? If religion is so unnatural, why did atheism have to evolve from superstitious people?

Once upon a time, I got myself into a long-running argument about atheism with atheists because, frankly, Sciforums' atheists at the time rejected the very brand of objective integrity which must be presupposed in order to leverage the stiffer of the atheistic arguments going about in this topic, including the topic post.

And so I invite those atheists to be truly objective. Be as objective as you can be. Be as rational and reasonable and unemotional and non-superstitious and complete and logical as you can.

Not only will you be bored inside a week, your friends and family will find you the ultimate drag.

While science may not care about philosophical issues, what of the introduction of scientific evidence into philosophical discussions? Of course, this is only problematic if we enter such a discussion with enough presuppositions bolstering a sanctimonious parody of scientific inquiry.

And what of the argument that all theists do, at some level, abandon reason for faith? True, but ineffective, because it begs the question: As opposed to who or what?

Evolving definitions only point to evolving languages. A nineteenth-century definition may reflect a notion of faith before the advent of modern post-Newtonian atheism. A twentieth-century definition with greater focus on religion only demonstrates that the editors of that edition of the dictionary felt the word has come to be used in that context more than in others. While it is not to be blamed on atheists, we must remember that atheism has undertaken many discussions over the last while which examine ideas of faith in the religious context. The atheist contribution to the evolution of language ought to be recognized here. And no, nobody will argue with the perverse assertions of faith coming from the American "awakenings" which persist like a venereal rash. But I have to admit, only atheists and born-again Christians focus so intently on the religious aspect of faith, in my opinion.
The vase contained only three flowers-a full-blown Belle of Portugal rose, shell pink with a hint at every petal's base of a hotter, flamier hue; a large magenta and cream-colored carnation; and, pale purple at the end of its broken stalk, the bold heraldic blossom of an iris. Fortuitous and provisional, the little nosegay broke all the rules of traditional good taste. At breakfast that morning I had been struck by the lively dissonance of its colors. But that was no longer the point. I was not looking now at an unusual flower arrangement. I was seeing what Adam had seen on the morning of his creation-the miracle, moment by moment, of naked existence.

"Is it agreeable?" somebody asked. (During this Part of the experiment, all conversations were recorded on a dictating machine, and it has been possible for me to refresh my memory of what was said.)

"Neither agreeable nor disagreeable," I answered. "it just is."

Istigkeit --wasn't that the word Meister Eckhart liked to use? "Is-ness." The Being of Platonic philosophy--except that Plato seems to have made the enormous, the grotesque mistake of separating Being from becoming and identifying it with the mathematical abstraction of the Idea. He could never, poor fellow, have seen a bunch of flowers shining with their own inner light and all but quivering under the pressure of the significance with which they were charged; could never have perceived that what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were--a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing that was at the same time pure Being, a bundle of minute, unique particulars in which, by some unspeakable and yet self-evident paradox, was to be seen the divine source of all existence.

I continued to look at the flowers, and in their living light I seemed to detect the qualitative equivalent of breathing--but of a breathing without returns to a starting point, with no recurrent ebbs but only a repeated flow from beauty to heightened beauty, from deeper to ever deeper meaning. Words like "grace" and "transfiguration" came to my mind, and this, of course, was what, among other things, they stood for. My eyes traveled from the rose to the carnation, and from that feathery incandescence to the smooth scrolls of sentient amethyst which were the iris. The Beatific Vision, Sat Chit Ananda, Being-Awareness-Bliss-for the first time I understood, not on the verbal level, not by inchoate hints or at a distance, but precisely and completely what those prodigious syllables referred to. And then I remembered a passage I had read in one of Suzuki's essays. "What is the Dharma-Body of the Buddha?" ('"the Dharma-Body of the Buddha" is another way of saying Mind, Suchness, the Void, the Godhead.) The question is asked in a Zen monastery by an earnest and bewildered novice. And with the prompt irrelevance of one of the Marx Brothers, the Master answers, "The hedge at the bottom of the garden." "And the man who realizes this truth," the novice dubiously inquires, '"what, may I ask, is he?" Groucho gives him a whack over the shoulders with his staff and answers, "A golden-haired lion." (Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception)
:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

And unnecessarily.

That is your opinion.

One doesn’t need to believe anything.

Quite right, if one so chooses.

If there is not sufficient reason to believe then simply withhold belief. Blind faith is never needed.

You are of the opinion that there is no sufficient reason, however, i am not of that opinion.
As regard "blind faith" i agree.

This is where we differ. This is a target objective I am trying to achieve.

We all (or most definately) have target objectives we try and reach. Why are you so different?

I don’t know that it will be possible. At some time in the future it will become clear whether it is possible or not.

Likewise.

But the difference between my hope and a theist is that a theist claims to know that there is a god.

A theist claims to believe there is a god, and will give reason why they believe. Probably not every theist, but if one acts according to the definition of a theist, then that is the case.

I do not know that minduploading will ever occur.

But you will still believe one day it may occur, and because you want it to happen, you invest faith in it.

The theist claims knowledge and truth based on blind faith. I am pursuing a line of reasoning and technological development until it works or is shown to be unworkable.

The "until it works or is shown to be unworkable" bit does not offer any proof, but you still pursue.

I hope you can see the quite massive difference.

The only difference is our faith, but the fact is we ultimately want something which cannot begin to understand (from our everyday perspective) its actuality, therefore rely on faith.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by (Q)
Jan

1. Faith - Complete confidence in a person or plan etc.

2. Faith - A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

My “faith” is defined ONLY in definition No. 1.

Definition No. 2 has no meaning for me.

But you still have faith. ;)

Love

Jan Ardena.

Jan,

And unnecessarily.

That is your opinion.
No it is simple logic. It is never necessary to believe something using blind faith. One can always choose not to believe in every case.

As regard "blind faith" i agree.
Are you agreeing that religious faith = blind faith?

We all (or most definately) have target objectives we try and reach. Why are you so different?
My objective is to find a solution. Theists believe they have already found it. That is why I am different to theists.

A theist claims to believe there is a god, and will give reason why they believe.
But if the reason is not based on fact then the belief is blind faith.

But you will still believe one day it may occur, and because you want it to happen, you invest faith in it.
One doesn’t start an hypothesis stating that it is true, the objective is to discover whether it is true. Belief and faith are not applicable. The objective is to survive. MU is an avenue of research that may or may not succeed. Desire can be independent of belief.

The "until it works or is shown to be unworkable" bit does not offer any proof, but you still pursue.
It is called research. One maintains an open mind with healthy skepticism. Belief and blind faith play no part.

The only difference is our faith, but the fact is we ultimately want something which cannot begin to understand (from our everyday perspective) its actuality, therefore rely on faith.
No I disagree. I think you just have a far less discriminatory nature than me, i.e. a propensity and tendency to accept things easily without question.

Jan,

But you still have faith.
But is it blind faith like religious faith?

I tend to trust (have faith in) certain people and plans because I have past experience (evidence) that they can be trusted or that my plans usually succeed.

Now if the person is a complete stranger then I would not put my trust (faith) in him. And if the plan was developed by someone or something I had not experienced before then again I would have no evidence to put my trust (faith) in that plan.

Faith where there is evidence is not blind faith.

There is plenty of subjective evidence for some sort of higher reality or fundamental state of consciousness.

Like what? Name me some evidence for a higher reality.

This is not true. Are you saying that your thoughts are non-existent until science confirms their existence?

Brain activity can be monitored. We can tell what chemicals activate and spill and the sort, and connect those reactions to dreams and thoughts.

The approach to evidence you suggest here is what leads to the Copenhagen interpretation of QM. If there's no evidence let's just say that there's nothing to be known, and that there is no single underlying reality. What's your (evidence based) view on this issue?

And what's yours? You say that there's an underlying reality, yet you have no proof...so what makes you think that there is some singularity beyond the reality we live in? Evidence wise, that is.

Sorry but I think this is not thought through properly. How can you assert that science produces the only valid view without some evidence? I think you mean 'scientifically valid'.

Tell me, what makes you think that there is another way to establish a valid view? Common sense and philosophy both fall back to the scientific method; if you believe a parable to be wise, (like your Tree of Knowledge) do you think that this ideal just *poof* appeared out of nowhere? No. The author witnessed how people with knowledge could adversely affect the surroundings, or how his own personal knowledge could do damage. After gathering that information, he scientifically deduced that knowledge must have at least the capability to be dangerous, and he wrote the parable. See?

Science does not determine truth. That much at least has been proved.

Ok, your statement is an oxymoron, first of all, as you claim there is scientific truth behind the idea that science does not determine truth...secondly, what is this "Proof?" And finally, you are wrong all around, as you continue to misunderstand science's role and abilities.

You continue to profess that there is some other method of verification of truth aside from scientific method, when there is not. No matter how you break it down, as I've stated before, nothing can be determined without science. What you'd call common sense is a basic scientific method as well. And wisdom, (Another thing you misunderstand), is only gained through scientific method. Wisdom and truth are also one in the same. Philosophers can only come up with thier wisdom through examination of evidence, and the only way to examine evidence is through science.

See, I think you somehow believe that the wisdom and parables in the Bible just appeared on the paper, or the authors were nothing more than conduits of this knowledge without having any influence on the words they wrote. This is wrong, simply becuase of the reasons I have stated above.

JD

Jan,

I've answered your posts slightly out of sequence.

Outside of a religious context the term faith is usually synonymous with inductive reasoning. I.e. there is usually some factual basis behind most statements that include the term faith.

From Jan -
The factual basis you are referring to, cannot be "factual" otherwise there would be no need of faith. If one has a factual basis, but still requires faith, then ones facts are as useful as no facts.
You are talking about blind faith only. People use faith in many different contexts when perhaps a more appropriate word might be better. Nevertheless faith is a term that is used in many situations where it does imply that some evidence is involved.

But the fact remains, faith is primarily a leap into an unknown reality
And unknown here means no way to know whether the belief is true or false. But ‘reality’ seems out of place, the leap of faith might lead nowhere and not a reality whatsoever.

but having realized the potential, the unknown becomes known, and that knowledge gives more understanding.
I have heard about people who plan their future assuming they will win the lottery. A leap of faith into the unknown is synonymous with guessing, and most guesses about anything complex are almost certainly wrong. So making a guess is not likely to make the unknown known and is highly unlikely to give more understanding.

Learning to ride a bicycle is a good example.
But a student would know it can be done so there is no leap of faith just a skill to be learnt based on the evidence created by others showing what is possible.

Blind-faith means having faith without any knowledge or understanding, of what it is you have faith in.
That is subtle but I don’t think that is quite true. I understand blind-faith to mean a belief that something is true without evidence showing it to be true. But believing something without knowing what you are believing is just stupidity, surely?

We can say something is fact, and 2 days later after new information as emerged, that is no longer fact.
I think you would need to show an example. I couldn’t think of one. If something was declared a fact and then later it was found to be an error then there was never a fact in the first place.

So where faith is concerned facts are only useful in establishing a stronger faith,
This is nonsense. I’ll substitute what faith means and then you should see it more clearly.

So where “belief without proof” is concerned facts are only useful in establishing a stronger “belief without proof”.

Gibberish, right?

but it doesn't mean the facts are truth,
A fact by definition means a truth.

From Webster: fact - a piece of information presented as having objective reality
–in fact : in truth.

which is the only destination for faith.
A belief without proof (faith) cannot establish a truth, since a truth requires proof.

If we have facts, then faith tends to be absent from our decisions
I agree thus far.

until something goes wrong,
An example would have been helpful. However, we say that Newton’s laws were considered fact and worked extremely well until we started using them to predict events where speeds were close to the speed of light. We needed special relativity to extend the math of Newton’s laws. Newton’s laws are still facts though, they weren’t wrong when used in the correct conditions.

but to believe a fact, there first has to be an element of faith.
If I apply this to the Newton scenario then because there was demonstrable proof that the laws worked then I didn’t need to believe without proof (faith). But at near light speed they were no longer facts. I’m trying to figure how faith might fit in but I can’t see it.

Humans have the power of reason Cris, and it would be totally arrogant and elitist to say that people who have faith in God do not have a mind to reason,
Fine. But having that power and using it is something else. People who believe in a god cannot be using their power to reason since reason requires factual support and everyone agrees that the existence of a god has not been proved.

and it is this essential truth that reveals that religious beliefs are based on blind faith.

So you have the monopoly on "essential truth" now?
No it is free to everyone. Theists believe a god exists without proof. This is fact, an essential truth. Blind faith is a belief in something without proof. Hence religious faith = blind faith.

I would have thought many people would feel uncomfortable, why only religionists?
Because we were discussing religion. Including other groups of people who believe other things on blind faith would seem superfluous to our discussion.

And they fight hard to try and claim that faith is indeed based on reason, or that believing on faith is some kind of special way to discover truth.

Is that so? Maybe you could give an example within what is being discussed here.
Isn’t the point of this discussion the fact that you are trying to show that faith is based on reason?

Gibberish;
Rapid and inarticulate talk; unintelligible language; unmeaning words; jargon.

I said;

“What you are most probably talking about is blind-faith, where the person doesn't understand or care why they have faith, but that is the person, not faith.”

Exactly which part of that statement didn’t you understand Cris?
I have now pretty much addressed this in this post.

Originally posted by JDawg
Like what? Name me some evidence for a higher reality.
I said subjective evidence, of which there is mountains. None of it is objective of course, it can never be that. In fact there is objective evidence as well, but that is subject to interpretation, which people do according to their belief systems.
[Brain activity can be monitored. We can tell what chemicals activate and spill and the sort, and connect those reactions to dreams and thoughts. [/B]
This is the scientific view. It is entirely illogical since science has to rely on unverifiable first-person reports to determine whether a thought has even taken place.
And what's yours? You say that there's an underlying reality, yet you have no proof...so what makes you think that there is some singularity beyond the reality we live in? Evidence wise, that is.[/B]
I won't try that here but I'll send you some bits and pieces if you want. This view is not uncommon even inside science. I don't have proof since by the nature of the thing there can't be any. The question of God and of consciousness is undecidable as far as anybody can tell. That's why experience and understanding have to stand in for knowledge once you get deep enough.

[Tell me, what makes you think that there is another way to establish a valid view? Common sense and philosophy both fall back to the scientific method; if you believe a parable to be wise, (like your Tree of Knowledge) do you think that this ideal just *poof* appeared out of nowhere? No. The author witnessed how people with knowledge could adversely affect the surroundings, or how his own personal knowledge could do damage. After gathering that information, he scientifically deduced that knowledge must have at least the capability to be dangerous, and he wrote the parable. See?[/B]
Your example is fine but not quite on the point. I don't see what you mean by 'valid' here. Do you mean provable? Ultimately nothing fundamental is provable, as Popper and Kant point out. Usually we forget this since day to day it doesn't matter too much. However it matters a lot once you get onto the big questions.

[Ok, your statement is an oxymoron, first of all, as you claim there is scientific truth behind the idea that science does not determine truth...secondly, what is this "Proof?" And finally, you are wrong all around, as you continue to misunderstand science's role and abilities.[/B]
I was referring to Goedel, who proved that you cannot prove everything that is true, and thus that you cannot quite prove anything that is true.

[You continue to profess that there is some other method of verification of truth aside from scientific method, when there is not. No matter how you break it down, as I've stated before, nothing can be determined without science. What you'd call common sense is a basic scientific method as well. And wisdom, (Another thing you misunderstand), is only gained through scientific method. Wisdom and truth are also one in the same. Philosophers can only come up with thier wisdom through examination of evidence, and the only way to examine evidence is through science. [/B]
No offence but this is naive. The scientific method does not verify truth, and few people would claim that it did. I think that you're confusing what can be proved within some particular system of beliefs with what is actually true. Again Popper argues that truth is unknowable to science, however much it proves by reference to other scientific proofs. At the very extreme the existence of the material world cannot be proved.

[See, I think you somehow believe that the wisdom and parables in the Bible just appeared on the paper, or the authors were nothing more than conduits of this knowledge without having any influence on the words they wrote. This is wrong, simply becuase of the reasons I have stated above. [/B]
Did I suggest otherwise?

Back