10 Questions for skeptics

ggazoo
If you do believe, it can be an amazing thing... you just to open your mind up to the possibilty. I'm not a church-going Bible-thumper, but when I went with my family over the holidays, there was an immense feeling of love and belonging that I can't explain. I wasn't hallucinating, I wasn't brainwashed... I just... know.

After going through a 3-4 year phase of being a 'born again Christian', I realised that faith in ANYTHING is strong enough to erm, make you THINK you can move mountains. FAITH is the factor in all religions; once you have it, it can seemingly bring joy and happiness and even miracles, I absolutely stand by this. But it's FAITH and faith alone that causes this complex psychological phenomenon and as I said before, I realised that the faith needn't be restricted to God or Christ or Allah or Buddha, it could be faith in a ROCK, or a PLANT, or even ANYTHING that you care to have faith in, the trick is to build, or acquire the faith and to keep believing; this is the whole basis of all religions and is the bedrock of their power.

Ggazoo,

1. How do you explain the high degree of design and order in the universe?
There is no evidence that anything has been designed. Everything we know has evolved from something simpler, even the results of man’s intelligence are adaptations of simpler things. As for order then there are a number of natural physical forces that are attractive and repulsive and all matter reacts and combines according to these forces. A simple study of the periodic table will give you significant clues as to these natural order-like reactions.

2. How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?
Why is this relevant? The bible makes claims of supernatural events and entities of which none have any factual basis. Of perhaps more importance is that there is still no credible historical evidence that Jesus ever existed.

3. From whence comes humanity's universal moral sense?
There is no universal moral sense. Every culture generates its own based on its own relative needs. In a wider sense we act according to our evolutionary instincts of survival and natural sociability.

4. If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?
Rational morality. To do otherwise is a risk to survival.

5. Please explain how personality could have ever evolved from the impersonal, or how order could have ever resulted from chaos.
Evolution and natural forces as described above.

6. How do you account for the origin of life considering the irreducible complexity of its essential components?
There is no irreducible complexity. Everything in our experience has evolved from something simpler; there is no indication of anything else.

7. Why does the Bible alone, of all of the world's 'holy' books, contain such detailed prophecies of future events? Many of which have already been fulfilled?
The claim is false. There are many holy books and none have provided any accurate details of any future events.

8. Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?
No. The claim is false. Provide the claimed proof and I can demonstrate the fallacy.

9. How did 35-40 men, spanning 1500 years and living on three separate continents, ever manage to consistently author one unified message (i.e. The Bible)?
They haven’t.

10. Why subscribe to the incredible odds that the tilt and position of our planet relative to the sun are merely coincidental?
If it were otherwise we probably wouldn’t be here. It is not that the conditions were designed for us but that we are the result of the conditions.

c7ityi_ said:
Of course there is design, just look at your body. Are you blind or what? You can't see the design? What caused our bodies to look like they do? And it's not just the outer design, but also the things we can do, like think and feel. It can only be explained by a "designer".
There is no fixed design for the human body. It used to look like a mouse at one time. Everyone's body is different. Every set of DNA has been shaped like a rock in a stream. The differences or "corners", inherent due to mutation, were simply broken off by whatever forces that caused to death of the animal before it could reproduce. No one had to have a smooth oval in mind in order to get a river rock. It just happens to be the result of having all the corners broken off during it's descent of a streambed.

God vs Science... I think they go hand in hand, in that you can't have one without the other.

You most certainly can have one without the other. We have and continue to live in a world ruled by theists, and of course, we can see the state of the world based on that.

I guess a big part of it is the only way that I have a chance of seeing them again is when it's my turn to go.

But you'll be dead also and will see nothing, because your eyes will no longer function.

ggazoo,

For those who want to quote me and try and dissect eveything that I said, feel free... you won't change my mind.
You should be aware that this is the statement typically made by someone who thinks they know everything (a claim you make of atheists but haven’t supported) and who has a closed mind to any other possibilities other than a god did it.

What I've learned is that at the end of the day, either you believe or you don't.
The distinction and value though is on what basis does one choose. Is it a rational choice or irrational. The difference is vital and essential.

A few people even went as far as to say things like "There is no God - that's fact". Well, I got news for you - it's not a 'fact' anymore than it isn't.
I hope what you mean to say is that no one knows whether it is fact or not, including you. But it is very rare for an atheist to make such a claim as you describe. Are you sure you are not quoting what you have been taught atheists are meant to say?

I think the BIG misassumption is that it's God vs Science... I think they go hand in hand, in that you can't have one without the other.
They are opposites and have been battling each other for millennia. They represent the two fundamental issues of faith versus reason, i.e. irrationality versus rationality.

Does that mean it's a fear of death - that I'm clinging to a man made fantasy as an only chance of seeing lost loved ones? I've been told that (just search these forums), but I can't believe it. It's hard to describe. I've tried, trust me - again, just search the forums. Lol
Essentially it is a strong desire of something you desperately want to be true as opposed to knowing it is true.

At the risk of gerneralizing, I think most atheists have a hard time accepting anything that they can't physically prove or see. So, the logical assumption is that it can't be there.
Almost. Realistically is that they find theist claims unbelievable, not necessarily that they are false.

I grew up in a Christian household, and no, they weren't "lies passed down to me from my parents". That's how I was brought up and I wouldn't change it for anything.
Doesn’t that mean that you are merely comfortable with your conditioning? Note that truth isn’t necessarily pleasant.

If you do believe, it can be an amazing thing... you just to open your mind up to the possibilty.
But that is no indication that what you believe is true. That you feel good is simply an emotional high and nothing more. For truth you need something much harsher – facts. Please also realize that most atheists and non-believers here have come from similar backgrounds that you describe and have had similar experiences. But they have rejected those beliefs as the fantasies that they are. And fantasy here is fact until you can show any facts to the contrary.

I'm not a church-going Bible-thumper, but when I went with my family over the holidays, there was an immense feeling of love and belonging that I can't explain. I wasn't hallucinating, I wasn't brainwashed... I just... know.
It is a well known emotional crowd mentality that can induce; joy, revolution, riots, and wars. That you feel good gives no indication that there is any truth behind the claims of the supernatural.

And lastly, it's my faith that keeps me going... whether I'm having a bad day at work, or had a fight with my wife, knowing that there is more to this life helps put everything in perspective.
It is not “knowing” since you have no facts for support. It is no more than a hope in a fantasy. That you are deluded that it is true and that it makes you feel content is of dubious value.

ggazoo said:
Sure, I'd be happy to answer that, so thanks for even asking.

I've seen a lot of posts on this and other sites attempting to refute God's exsistence. Whether it's a lack of understanding as to why we believe, or replies from people who think they have all the answers, I'm not sure. What I've learned is that at the end of the day, either you believe or you don't. A few people even went as far as to say things like "There is no God - that's fact". Well, I got news for you - it's not a 'fact' anymore than it isn't.

I can totally understand theories and scientific assumptions, they actually fascinate me. But I'll be the first one to tell you that I think the BIG misassumption is that it's God vs Science... I think they go hand in hand, in that you can't have one without the other.

As to why I believe in God... well, I've lost people in my life who were close to me, most noteably my dad when I was 13, and more recently my father-law (just last year about 4 months before our wedding). I guess a big part of it is the only way that I have a chance of seeing them again is when it's my turn to go. Does that mean it's a fear of death - that I'm clinging to a man made fantasy as an only chance of seeing lost loved ones? I've been told that (just search these forums), but I can't believe it. It's hard to describe. I've tried, trust me - again, just search the forums. lol

At the risk of gerneralizing, I think most atheists have a hard time accepting anything that they can't physically prove or see. So, the logical assumption is that it can't be there. And you know what? I totally get that and can see why people think that way - I mean, look at this world that we live in. But there's much more to it than that for me. I grew up in a Christian household, and no, they weren't "lies passed down to me from my parents". That's how I was brought up and I wouldn't change it for anything.

If you do believe, it can be an amazing thing... you just to open your mind up to the possibilty. I'm not a church-going Bible-thumper, but when I went with my family over the holidays, there was an immense feeling of love and belonging that I can't explain. I wasn't hallucinating, I wasn't brainwashed... I just... know.

And lastly, it's my faith that keeps me going... whether I'm having a bad day at work, or had a fight with my wife, knowing that there is more to this life helps put everything in perspective.

For those reading this post thanks for taking the time to do so. For those who want to quote me and try and dissect eveything that I said, feel free... you won't change my mind.

Peace.

Thanks for the very honest answer. If I were to sum this up into a concise statement, then the reason you believe is doing so provides intense positive emotional satisfaction and health in your life... and this in itself would serve as evidence of 'God's existence (i.e. emotional benefit being a reward of belief).

Sorry if it sound too technical... I'm shooting for accuracy and not attractive written appeal :)

ggazoo said:
you know what keeps me going?
food and drink.

one time when I was young and stupid I believed in reincarnation,then I realized its all just a wishfull thinking,and until someone comes back from some spiritual haven nothing will convince me,to cling to some fantasy

and you know what?
because of a lack of belief in afterlife it makes this life all that more meaningful and important.

Crunchy Cat said:
Thanks for the very honest answer. If I were to sum this up into a concise statement, then the reason you believe is doing so provides intense positive emotional satisfaction and health in your life... and this in itself would serve as evidence of 'God's existence (i.e. emotional benefit being a reward of belief).

Sorry if it sound too technical... I'm shooting for accuracy and not attractive written appeal :)

ja, when i obeyed daddy he bought me stuff and i was happy. he died. god, will you be my new daddy?

I thought I'd answer these before reading the answers by others to avoid any bias or influence, though I've no doubt that some of my answers might be the same.

ggazoo said:

I don't. I'm not a cosmologist and have only a slight interest in it, so I realize I'm not qualified to answer the question with regard to the 'order' of the universe. But I would suggest that where some see "design," others don't. Design implies a designer and I've seen no evidence for either. The universe is complex, but designed? That's a leap.

ggazoo said:
2. How do you account for the vast archaeological documentation of Biblical stories, places, and people?

What "vast archaeological documentation" do you refer to. As an archaeologist, I see far more archaeological and epigraphical evidence that is counter to biblical mythology than supportive of it. But if there's a specific bit of data you believe overwhelmingly supportive, please cite it for discussion.

ggazoo said:

Morality is relative to each culture. One does not need be religious to have a moral code or moral values. Indeed, I would suggest to you that those with a belief in an afterlife, as is consistent with many religious cults, have less regard for morality than the non-religious or those without a belief in an afterlife. Many an innocent has been slaughtered by religious zealots who operated with the assumption that god will sort out the innocents and they'll have everlasting life or that they died for a greater cause (whatever given war or jihad you wish) and that god/allah will provide for them and their souls.

ggazoo said:
4. If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

Random. Who ever suggested that nonsense. Man is nothing close to random. But non-random need not suggest design either. But that would, perhaps, require a lesson in biology, to which I'm not interested in giving tonight. Another night perhaps.

ggazoo said:
5. Please explain how personality could have ever evolved from the impersonal, or how order could have ever resulted from chaos.

Again, in an infinite universe(s), how could order have not evolved? Why is an explanation required to discount some religious significance? Moreover, what was chaotic. Evolution is by nature, an ordered progression and non-random. It need not have a designer and it need not be created. That's not to say it wasn't either designed or created, there simply isn't any evidence to suggest it is necessary.

ggazoo said:
6. How do you account for the origin of life considering the irreducible complexity of its essential components?

"Irreducible complexity" only exists in the mind of IDiots like Behe and Dumbski. It has been well debunked and shown to be a fallacious hypothesis. But, again, to demonstrate it here, tonight, would require a biology lesson I'm not willing to give. Perhaps another night.

ggazoo said:
7. Why does the Bible alone, of all of the world's 'holy' books, contain such detailed prophecies of future events? Many of which have already been fulfilled?

First, many religious texts and oral traditions have examples of alleged prophecy. It is both ignorant and ethnocentric to suggest only the religion traditional to white Europeans has validity. Indeed, I would characterize such assessments to be the gravest of profane assumptions that a member of a Christian cult could make. Second, none of the alleged prophecies of the Judeo-Christian cults have been demonstrated to have actually occurred. Either the question of after-the-fact prediction or vague correlation can be made.

ggazoo said:
8. Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?

No, I'm not. I offer the contradiction that the Earth was completely covered in water in only 40 days. First, this is geologically untrue and impossible (that amount of water simply doesn't exist on the planet). Second, the myth was stolen from earlier stories of Near Eastern mythology and nearly word-for-word in some places with the earlier account of Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh was a literary evolvolution of the Atrahasis story, which, in turn is an evolved form of The Deluge. Third, how does one family fit two of each of the millions of species that existed on the planet, particularly the ones that existed only on far away continents? How did this family feed and care for the animals for the several months they were on ship?

Where are the "intelligible and credible" answers for these questions?

Beyond that, how does one disprove a negative? Which is what the biblical stories are. Accounts that have no evidence and therefore can be neither proved nor disproved.

ggazoo said:
9. How did 35-40 men, spanning 1500 years and living on three separate continents, ever manage to consistently author one unified message (i.e. The Bible)?

I don't see how the "message" is unified. I've read the bible, some parts several times, and have noticed that the "message" is anything but unified. How does one reconcile a god that permits one of it's primary cult leaders to rape and enslave the children of his enemies?

ggazoo said:
10. Why subscribe to the incredible odds that the tilt and position of our planet relative to the sun are merely coincidental?

Our planet is but one of trillions in this galaxy alone. Moreover, that life adapted to proliferate in this particular "tilt" and orbit is interesting, but hardly evidence of anything but chance.

All responses I expected. :)

Hey Crunchy Cat, I pose the question to you now... why don't you believe?

spidergoat said:
There is no fixed design for the human body. It used to look like a mouse at one time. Everyone's body is different. Every set of DNA has been shaped like a rock in a stream. The differences or "corners", inherent due to mutation, were simply broken off by whatever forces that caused to death of the animal before it could reproduce. No one had to have a smooth oval in mind in order to get a river rock. It just happens to be the result of having all the corners broken off during it's descent of a streambed.

Well, just look at something like sex. A simple idea of a shaft fitting into a hole... you don't think someone had to conceptualize that?

ggazoo said:
It looks like atheists outweigh the Christians on this board by quite a bit.
Well, it is sciforums.
ggazoo said:
So, at the risk of getting flamed, I just wanted to pose a few general questions for the non-believers, and would love to get your opinions/answers on them:

I'm afraid I see no design at all, and no order in excess of that mandated by the underlying general law of the Universe, which is "stuff sticks together". If you look at the Universe alone, there isn't anything you can see directly that isn't solely caused by the four forces of nature, electromagnetism, weak nuclear, strong nuclear and gravity. Understanding of the structure of the mathematical laws has allowed us to deduce a) there is a lot more to the Universe than we can see, and b) there are possibly other forces. But those forces (or just one more single force) are just direct action forces that operate on all matter, like gravity does, not some mystical "force" with an intent. As it is, the distribution of stars and galaxies is random, chaotic and "clumpy", with no design, just the beautiful patterns that mathematical forces create.

If you look at Earth, we can see that solid matter clumps together in a chaotic way. Rocks are higgledy-piggledy, the shape of coastlines is totally chaotic and recursive (ie self-similar at all scales). What shapes we see are down to gravity and friction, and the properties of the materials themselves, with no hint of anything over and above (except for those things specifically designed by humans).

Then there is Life. The vast majority of Life goes about its business in ways that defy all logic and sense in terms of efficiency. Life is symbiotic, but goes too far round the houses to realistically distinguish a "design" in the sense implied by ID-ers. I've just watched a series on BBC called Life in the Undergrowth, which is beautifully filmed story of the inverterbrates, which includes the insects and arachnids, slugs and snails, and crustaceans. These creatures are truly alien. And very many of them continue a way of life that very quickly disposes of an idea of a compassionate all-loving God. About half the insects in covered by the programme propagate by injecting eggs into the larva of some other insect, so that it is eaten alive from the inside. It's repulsive, and it's beautiful. See the termite mounds, all aligned precisely to the rising and setting sun, for temperature control, and be struck with awe at the power of an evolutionary process that takes millions of years to perfect. "If they're so precisely aligned, doesn't that mean they were Designed?" But why just this one species of termite? Why would you design something that goes to all the trouble of building vast skyscrapers when the vast majority of similar creatures make do by living underground, or in water? It's the very pointlessness of the diversity which is the hallmark of evolution. A moth was shown which has enormous energy requirements to keep hovering near flowers, which it has to do in order to suck lots of nectar, which it has to do to continue flying. This kind of redundancy is the hallmark of a gradual evolutionary process, not efficient Design.

ggazoo said:
I suppose there's this assumption that all atheists believe that every word in the bible is a lie. If the Biblical stories had no basis in the real world in which it was written, that would be the surprise. However, the surprise may well be coming for you. The archaeological evidence for Biblical stories, places and people is the opposite of vast - in fact the vast majority of archaeological evidence contradicts the Bible. Archaeologists, no matter how hard they look, have failed, for example, to find any evidence for the great Davidic Kingdom of Israel under David and Solomon for the period (about 1000-900 BCE) which the Bible describes it existing. The vast documentation of thousands of years of Egyptian history fails to record a vast army of Hebrew slaves, any period of plagues consistent with the Bible, nor is there the remotest physical evidence for an Exodus as described in the Bible.

I, for one, however, do not subscribe to the views of ultra-Liberal "minimalists" such as the Copenhagen school of Thomas L. Thompson, who appear to believe, contrary to logic, that absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Which leads Thompson to devote a section of his book The Bible in History to dismissing the really impressive Mesha stele (aka the Moabite Stone) in totally irrational terms. The Mesha stele is written in precisely the same terms as many stories in the book of Kings - but with Chemosh (the Moabite local God) in place of Yahveh - another example of how similarly-placed people have a similar outlook, in this case "Turn away from your god and you will lose".

ggazoo said:
Like everything else - from humanity itself. So, despite our brutal tendencies to hurt and torture each other, subjugate each other, go to war with each other, and display the greatest cruelties in the living world, some of the words that describe the opposite of those characteristics are "humanity" and "humane".

ggazoo said:
I personally have a general desire to cause others around me the minimum of pain. I do this for their sake, for the sake of all other people. Not because I'm scared of burning in Hell forever, or through some desire to please an invisible father figure. I live honorably in the world (or try to) so that others will live honorably with me. A direct and readily appreciable cause-and-effect.

ggazoo said:
The fundamentals of the scientific view point disallow all answers of the form "x is the result of the actions of a supernatural being". Your own question is illogical, because the religious answer (which you have in place of science's total lack of an answer) is "God created our personality". But where did God get his personality? "God is eternal" - yes, but don't claim you understand that answer more than the rest of us are supposed to. And this is the point. The point of the scientific endeavour is to provide answers that ordinary mortals can understand. Your answer "God designed and created the Universe, He designed and created Life, He designed and created Man and he designed and created Consciousness" is not an answer, because you yourself do not understand the mechanism by which God did these things. Theologians and philosophers can argue back and forth without coming to any real solution - since there is no evidence on which to base any conclusion - and meanwhile the scientists carry on investigating Nature and coming up with answers. And so far they have not found the answer to your question. Which says nothing, I'm afraid, about humanity's ability to eventually succeed in answering the question. There is an infinity of stuff we do not know ... yet!

ggazoo said:
"Irreducible complexity" is the Intelligent Design system for throwing in the towel. The arguments for any particular structure that ID-ers have declared "irreducibly complex" are generally riddled with fallacies and exaggerations. Time after time they will declare something like the eye to be "irreducibly complex", on the basis that all the parts have to work together perfectly, or the whole eye is useless. Many of those people suffer from defective vision themselves (as do I) so are apparently unaware of how nonsensical it is. A perception of light and shade has some value to an organism, in a world populated by the blind (as all early life was, of course). The basic eye shape, constituents and functionality have evolved independently about nine times. That is the power of convergent evolution.

There is no such thing as "irreducible complexity", there is only the limits of human knowledge. ID-ers would have us give up and cease investigating. If they had been around and influential in the 19th Century, we would never even have discovered Mendelian genetics, let alone the structure of DNA. ID is antithetical to the aims of Science, whilst providing a profoundly suspect view, theologically, of what God is and what He does.

ggazoo said:
You'll need to justify this with actual quotes and citations of the things that came to pass. Let us take ("here he goes again", everybody says) Isaiah 7:14, the supposed prediction of the Virgin Birth of Christ. The original Hebrew does not say "virgin". If you read it in context, it is very obvious that Isaiah is actually trying to convince King Azaria of something that is going to happen very very soon - within the next year or two. It is entirely to do with the kingdom of Judah facing two powerful enemies and Isaiah's counsel - as advised by Yahweh - is to let the two enemies wear each other out. He illlustrates this by describing a child that is shortly to be born, and before it can speak (before it can say "mama" and "papa"), the enemies will be vanquished. He isn't telling him of some baby being born in seven centuries' time who is going to "save" the people from an oppressor (the Romans) who haven't even come out of their caves yet, and when the current enemy (Assyria, Babylon) will be little more than a memory. I don't call that much of a prophecy or much in the way of fulfillment.

ggazoo said:
Are you aware that every theological answer has also been refuted in an intelligible and credible manner? There are always credible answers and intelligent refutations.

ggazoo said:
How unified is this message, exactly? The Jews are to keep themselves to themselves, and not to allow crossbreeding. (Ezra) Foreigners have their value and even David has foreign blood. (Ruth). Love your enemy as you love yourself (Jesus, various, also OT). On the other hand, slaughter all the enemies (most notably Joshua). It rained seven days and the Earth was flooded for 40 days and 40 nights (Genesis 7:4, 7:12, 7:17, 8:6) or the waters below the earth and above the firmament came through the "windows of heaven" and "the fountains of the deep" (not the same as raining, I think you'll agree) and the Earth was flooded for 150 days (Genesis 7:24, 8:3). Jesus was descended from Solomon, son of David (Matthew) or Nathan, son of David (Luke).

Of course, these are simply contradictions, for which you can provide "intelligent and credible" answers. But the credibility of those answers rests upon the same level of credibility and rationality which rejects the view espoused in your question that the Bible's view is consistent to an almost miraculous extent. If it is possible to truly deduce one supreme Message from the Bible (and thousands of years of theology has pretty much failed), it is not surprising if all the thirty-five authors, all members of the same race and religion, having a broadly similar worldview, write works that have a broadly similar outlook.

I haven't even mentioned the fairly obvious fact that those works that do maintain the message are those which were selected for inclusion, and those which radically departed from it were excluded. For instance the books of the Maccabees, which were determined by rabbinical scholars to be insufficiently "inspired" (1 Mc doesn't mention God or any miracles), as well as telling the tale of a successful insurgency against despotic foreign rule by - sad to say - a non-Davidic family, were removed from Scriptures around 90 CE. Or the Gnostic gospels which were excluded from the NT by the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE, despite some telling textual evidence that Christ himself may have held Gnostic views. "How do you account for it?" sounds as if a certain level of consistency is surprising. The level of consistency that we find is not that surprising.

It's the high level of inconsistency that is surprising, the editing together of two contradictory accounts of Creation and of two contradictory accounts of the Flood, and three different accounts of one of the patriarchs passing his wife off as his sister (twice to Abram (once when he was Abraham) and once to Isaac), and the acceptance of all these mishmashed accounts as the infallible Word of God. (Even the parts which the author clearly signalled as works of imaginative fiction are taken to be factual, which even the author never intended - viz the books of Job and of Jonah.)

That's the surprising thing. Something which the Qu'ran is less subject to. Perhaps the Qu'ran is the true Word of God, being on the whole a lot more consistent than the Bible?

ggazoo said:
Ho ho, the anthropic fallacy. As has been pointed out, there are trillions of stars. Some have planets of sufficient mass to retain an atmosphere, some have planets in the temperate zone of orbit around the sun, some have a tilt allowing none-too-extreme seasonal variations. A small fraction of those will have a combination of all three. Life - as we know it, Captain - has arisen on one of those which are hospitable for life. But surely, this is only what anybody would expect? It's a tautology! On the other hand, if the axial tilt was too extreme, or the planet was too far away from the Sun and yet Life was still here - that would be the proof of a benevolent God with a special purpose.

ggazoo said:
Well, just look at something like sex. A simple idea of a shaft fitting into a hole... you don't think someone had to conceptualize that?

Its natural selection. Literally survival of the fittest. The best fitting shaft reproduces. The dicks that are too big never get in and the ones that are too small never get the chance. Neither leave off-spring and their dicks are selected out.

ggazoo said:
It looks like atheists outweigh the Christians on this board by quite a bit.
I'm not THAT fat. :D

Assign a few simple rules to chaos and order will naturally follow.
As for design - please indicate the evidence.

The fact that the places in the Bible can be demonstrated to have existed is no reason to believe every word of the Bible as truth.
For example, do you believe EVERY WORD of a contemporary thriller set in Washington DC? All the places can be demonstrated to exist.
As for some of the people in the Bible - there is actually very little evidence beyond the names of Kings and people in authority.
Again, would you believe every word of a book just because it was set in England and had documented that Elizabeth II was its ruler?

Universal moral sense? I see no evidence for a universal moral sense.
Moral sense comes from living in a community - with the morals being dictated by what is acceptable practice to live in such a community.
It is very much a "do as you would want done to yourself". This is not a religious message but one of common sense - "common sense" as in "derived from community".
Put a group of animals together for a long enough time and a "normality" in behaviour will arise. We have deemed this "normal behaviour" to be "moral".

See answer 3 for some of the answer.
Who says anything motivates me, or you, or anyone else?
My motivation - because I do have some - comes from wanting to be treated in a certain way - and thus I treat others in the same way.

Simple rules can lead to great complexity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "irreducible complexity of its essential components". I have no theory for the origin of life.
Until one comes along that does NOT involve some unprovable concept such as God or an Intelligent Designer then I'm content to say "I don't know".

I thought Nostradamus made more accurate prophecies than the Bible?
And please indicate the passages in the bible that categorically predict future events - and please indicate them BEFORE that event. To see a prediction in a book AFTER the event is merely subjective interpretation of the text - unless the text is unambiguously clear. So - evidence please?

Subjective interpretation is a wonderful thing.

They didn't.
Editors have consistently edited and translated those texts and interpreted them in their own way.

Ah - the old chesnut that Earth was created in a certain way just to be our home. "How could it be any other way - it is so perfect for us!"

As Douglas Adams once said in a speech:
This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, ‘This is an interesting world I find myself in—an interesting hole I find myself in—fits me rather neatly, doesn’t it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!’ This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it’s still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything’s going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.

Last edited:
ggazoo said:
All responses I expected.

So are you going to answer my question regarding archaeology? What "vast archaeological documentation" do you refer to? I assert there is very little to none that supports biblical mythology.

By natural explanations.

I would dispute the term 'vast' and also postulate that this supportive evidence just shows that humans wrote the book and humans existed.

From our nature and nurture.

We are not a random arrangement of molecules. In fact I am highly ordered and unique. My nature and nurture motivates me.

Ontogeny and phylogeny.

I think you are making wrong assumptions and I do not have to explain wrong assumptions.

I must have missed that. I noticed the wrong predictions though.

I would disagree with that

It might mean something if we are talking about the continents: Asia, america and australia (or antartica).

It isn't a coincidence. It is caused by a physical process.

SkinWalker said:
So are you going to answer my question regarding archaeology? What "vast archaeological documentation" do you refer to? I assert there is very little to none that supports biblical mythology.

Well, here's a few:

• The discovery of the Ebla archive in northern Syria in the 1970s has shown the Biblical writings concerning the Patriarchs to be viable. Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine. The name "Canaan" was in use in Ebla, a name critics once said was not used at that time and was used incorrectly in the early chapters of the Bible. The word "tehom" ("the deep") in Genesis 1:2 was said to be a late word demonstrating the late writing of the creation story. "Tehom" was part of the vocabulary at Ebla, in use some 800 years before Moses. Ancient customs reflected in the stories of the Patriarchs have also been found in clay tablets from Nuzi and Mari.

• The Hittites were once thought to be a Biblical legend, until their capital and records were discovered at Bogazkoy, Turkey. Many thought the Biblical references to Solomon's wealth were greatly exaggerated. Recovered records from the past show that wealth in antiquity was concentrated with the king and Solomon's prosperity was entirely feasible. It was once claimed there was no Assyrian king named Sargon as recorded in Isaiah 20:1, because this name was not known in any other record. Then, Sargon's palace was discovered in Khorsabad, Iraq. The very event mentioned in Isaiah 20, his capture of Ashdod, was recorded on the palace walls. What is more, fragments of a stela memorializing the victory were found at Ashdod itself.

• Another king who was in doubt was Belshazzar, king of Babylon, named in Daniel 5. The last king of Babylon was Nabonidus according to recorded history. Tablets were found showing that Belshazzar was Nabonidus' son who served as coregent in Babylon. Thus, Belshazzar could offer to make Daniel "third highest ruler in the kingdom" (Dan. 5:16) for reading the handwriting on the wall, the highest available position. Here we see the "eye-witness" nature of the Biblical record, as is so often brought out by the discoveries of archaeology.[

ggazoo said:
It looks like atheists outweigh the Christians on this board by quite a bit. So, at the risk of getting flamed, I just wanted to pose a few general questions for the non-believers, and would love to get your opinions/answers on them:

mthat matter energy is always WIl consciousness. ie. it is alive, tingling with Intelligence. it doesn't NEED an outside designer behind it, ie an 'allgood' 'God'

me)))in mythology thers a mixture of using locations AND analogy which pertains to explore deep human concerns. only trouble is, in its patriarchal approach it DIVIDES rather than COMMUNES

me)))))))which is? i am not awareof it lately in this world? are you?

4. If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the

world?

well do you believe that? when you do you get te wold we got. remember your judaic christian reigion ALSo spits spirit fromNature in its dogma.....as presently mterilistic science completely leaves 'spirit' out and poits 'dead' matter and matter-producing consciousness/brains

it is polarity. itis the polarity of emptiness and form, or consciousness and matter-energy in a Dance of lifedeathregenration. your religion demonized tis understanding. you demonize death don't you?

where ters death teres life and vice versa. universe peoples like tree apples

like what?...and if so, how do you know its npt self-fulfilling prophecyfrom suggestive indoctrination over centuries and centuries of enforced conditioning, tc....and secret goings on amongst the ELITE. never foget bout them!

by WHO?

read The Jesus Mysteries which expose the Bible admirably

well i dont. but i also dont believe in an architect-god like i am sure you do. rathe Intelligence is inherent In evolution itself. they arise togther

Again, just curious. Looking forward to the responses!

Source:
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/questions-for-skeptics.html[/QUOT£])))))))))))))))((((((((()

ggazoo said:
Well, here's a few:

• The discovery of the Ebla archive in northern Syria in the 1970s has shown the Biblical writings concerning the Patriarchs to be viable. Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine. The name "Canaan" was in use in Ebla, a name critics once said was not used at that time and was used incorrectly in the early chapters of the Bible. The word "tehom" ("the deep") in Genesis 1:2 was said to be a late word demonstrating the late writing of the creation story. "Tehom" was part of the vocabulary at Ebla, in use some 800 years before Moses. Ancient customs reflected in the stories of the Patriarchs have also been found in clay tablets from Nuzi and Mari.

• The Hittites were once thought to be a Biblical legend, until their capital and records were discovered at Bogazkoy, Turkey. Many thought the Biblical references to Solomon's wealth were greatly exaggerated. Recovered records from the past show that wealth in antiquity was concentrated with the king and Solomon's prosperity was entirely feasible. It was once claimed there was no Assyrian king named Sargon as recorded in Isaiah 20:1, because this name was not known in any other record. Then, Sargon's palace was discovered in Khorsabad, Iraq. The very event mentioned in Isaiah 20, his capture of Ashdod, was recorded on the palace walls. What is more, fragments of a stela memorializing the victory were found at Ashdod itself.

• Another king who was in doubt was Belshazzar, king of Babylon, named in Daniel 5. The last king of Babylon was Nabonidus according to recorded history. Tablets were found showing that Belshazzar was Nabonidus' son who served as coregent in Babylon. Thus, Belshazzar could offer to make Daniel "third highest ruler in the kingdom" (Dan. 5:16) for reading the handwriting on the wall, the highest available position. Here we see the "eye-witness" nature of the Biblical record, as is so often brought out by the discoveries of archaeology.[

And here I thought you were going to sound off with discoveries of ossuaries, arks, chariots under the Red Sea, the Shroud of Turin, etc., etc. I must give you some credit for not falling for such nonsense. However, I would suggest that the above items are no more evidence that supports the overall veracity of the bible as non-fiction any more than the archaeological evidence of Mississippi demonstrates the overall veracity of Hucklberry Finn.

Indeed, the word "tehom" means 'the deep' in Hebrew, but in ancient Sumerian, 'the deep' is "tiamat." The Enum Elish is a creation story that many see as an ancient progenitor to the genesis myth. The former includes the creation of the heaven and earth by Marduk who splits Tiamat in two, one half to the heavens, the other to become the earth.

One would expect early authors of the various biblical stories to include that which is familiar to those the stories are being presented. Not only does this increase acceptance, but it provides a bit of 'ownership' if you will to the cultures that are receiving the myths. A very common and demonstrable practice throughout early-historic cultures (and very probably pre-literate, oral traditioned cultures) was to borrow the myths of neighboring cultures and re-tell them with appropriate devices to place the stories in the context of the given culture. Such practices are most evident in the evolution of the flood myths of the Near East. People who depended heavily upon water for agriculture and lived in close proximity to rivers like the Tigris & Euphrates undoubtedly were inundated on frequent basis. Such stories are expected.

I find it fascinating that the early "jewish" authors of the pentateuch fail to specifically name a king when referring to Egypt. They say only "Pharaoh," leaving us to guess at the actual king. There is also much archaeology that suggests that the Canaanites were the earliest Jews and that the Hyksos of Egyptian texts may have been the origin of the "Exodus" myth.

Back